Shorts Belfast on Google Earth

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Inthrustwetrust

Shorts Belfast on Google Earth

Post by Inthrustwetrust »

Not sure how many of you are interested by as i am going to Australia next month for a holiday i thought i'd check out the airports on Google Earth.

Not much of interest apart from a Caribou at Perth, but Cairns airport looked interesting.

The last remaining Airworthy Shorts Belfast is on the pan along side some other HL aircraft.

16 53' 02,32S x 145 45'59,01E if anyones interested in this venerable old airlifter.
cheers
Dave
Canon 6D, 50D & 600d
Canon 28-105 &100-400 L usm lens

Aviation pics on davejonesphotography/zenfolio/

Hawkkeeper

Re: Shorts Belfast on Google Earth

Post by Hawkkeeper »

found this on http://www.ukserials.com/ click on the 'XR' range & scroll to the serials starting XR362

SH1819 XR365 Short Belfast C1 f/f 31/12/1964, d/d 14/01/1969, to G-HLFT, to 9L-LDQ, to RP-C8020, Cairns

just about make out the Heavylift logo H on the fin.

The only other Beldast in existence is at Cosford museum, XR371 the last of the 10 that were built

rambo

Post by rambo »

shame the last one left is in Oz

we scrapped our last one in 2008, thought it might hang around, but it was not to be

Geoffers

Post by Geoffers »

I've always loved the Belfast, on paper they seemed better than the C-130, although I know they had their problems, and it's a pity that they never received patronage they diserved.

Lots of nice pictures on airliners.net, but this one was taken early this year of the last airworthy survivor. Not in the first flush of youth, but she appears to be pretty well cared for...
Belfast at Cairns

But my favourite picture is this:
Belfast and Chipmunk: Hen & Chick

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

rambo wrote:shame the last one left is in Oz

we scrapped our last one in 2008, thought it might hang around, but it was not to be

Don't forget the one at Cosford.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

rambo

Post by rambo »

I meant airworthy

Heidfirst

Post by Heidfirst »

Got a friend in Cairns so I've asked him to try to get some shots.
From what he says I doubt that it's airworthy - apparently it hasn't moved in well over a year.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

I spent over 7 hours in a Belfast, Akrotiri to Brize in XR367/Heracles. No sound proofing, no earplugs, no air-conditioning, leather seats on the upper deck that you stuck to in the heat and warm orange juice to drink. Magic :biggrin:

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
DfG on Facebook

warferry

Post by warferry »

Hi Belfast fans thought you would like this shot taken at Odiham Families day(in the '80's ?) any help on date would be good. Enjoy.Image
File0003 by warferry, on Flickr

F-86

Post by F-86 »

warferry wrote:Hi Belfast fans thought you would like this shot taken at Odiham Families day(in the '80's ?) any help on date would be good. Enjoy.Image

It would have been before 1976.

toom317
UKAR Supporter

Post by toom317 »

F-86 wrote:
warferry wrote:Hi Belfast fans thought you would like this shot taken at Odiham Families day(in the '80's ?) any help on date would be good. Enjoy.Image

It would have been before 1976.

I joined the RAF in 76, and can remember sitting on the airfield at Swinderby watching a Belfast doing a few circuits over at Waddington. We were told we were getting an air experience flight in one the following week. A couple of days later they were withdrawn from service. :sad:
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.

Abingdonman

Post by Abingdonman »

Saw the Belfast many times in its RAF days,but for a while it was a regular over this part of Hemel Hempstead operating as a cargo plane...when I saw it,it may have come from Luton airport I believe,but it was a bit higher than the usual Luton traffic (Luton is around 8 miles away)...I'm guessing it was mid 90s :wink:

Andover

Post by Andover »

Abingdonman wrote:...it may have come from Luton airport I believe,but it was a bit higher than the usual Luton traffic

It would have come from Stansted; they were based there with Heavylift from 1980 to 2002.

I love the type and the sound of its Tynes. Apart from a couple of high up observations, I've only seen one fly (and heard it) on DVD. I have the model Magna 1/72 Belfast sitting on my shelf (it's a monster!) which I painted in the Heavylift livery (prettier than the RAF livery.)

One of the last times the type did an actual display was at West Malling in 1991. Does anyone know if any video survives of this?

Abingdonman

Post by Abingdonman »

Andover wrote:
Abingdonman wrote:...it may have come from Luton airport I believe,but it was a bit higher than the usual Luton traffic

It would have come from Stansted; they were based there with Heavylift from 1980 to 2002.

You are right,just looked it up on Bing maps and the direction from Stanstead is spot on....