RAF @ St. Mawgan

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
flatfoot471

RAF @ St. Mawgan

Post by flatfoot471 »

On holiday in Cornwall and popped up to Newquay airport to see what was about.
Pleasantly surprised with nearly new Falcon 7X N747RL and the usual Flybe and Skybus Residents.

I thought the RAF had pulled out of St. Mawgan so I was surprised to still see signs for RAF St.Mawgan on the roads approaching the airport, and even more surprised to see RAF guards on the gate. I thought all RAF involvement in the base had ceased.
If the RAF are still there, what they doing and how long they going to be there?
Does anybody know what will happen to the Shackleton that is gate guard?
Are there still RAF ops at the base?

Finally looking for a bit of help. Apart from the 2 Skybus DHC6, a Flybe DHC8 and the aforementioned 7X there was an all white BAE 146 parked behind the radar tower south side of the runway. Using my 300mm I've been able to identify as former South African ZS-PYM. Parked behind the 146 is what looks like a former RAF Jet, painted grey with the RAF red white and blue flash on the tail. The aircraft iis sitting behind the tower and just below the runway level and all that is visible is the tail. Now my aircraft identification is not great but it looks like the tail of a Hunter.

Can anybody confirm if this is the case and if so, can provide an identity.

MTIA

FGR2

Re: RAF @ St. Mawgan

Post by FGR2 »

The Defence Survival School is still there, however the rest has been handed over to Newquay Airport.

The Shack is there as long as the RAF are, I think that is until 2020 - 2025 at least IIRC.

There is no fixed or rotary wing RAF stuff there, although I believe there are occasional visitors and aircraft doing overshoots from time to time.

The Hunter is probably one of Classic Flight (now Classic Airforce's) static airframes that has been roaded down from Coventry.

Classic Airforce are taking over the former Nimrod Servicing Hangar.

flatfoot471

Post by flatfoot471 »

Thanks for the info.

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

No problem.

I have read there are a couple of Hunters there and a Sea Hawk in the Hangar.

TIGER TIM

Post by TIGER TIM »

There is a NATO/RAF exercise held there every now and again

Chough

Post by Chough »

The Shackleton continues to be looked after by The Cornish Aviation Society as they have for many years.

JJC

Post by JJC »

Hi, how is the airport for viewing? Currently staying in Porth for the week.
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

You could (well about a year ago at least) bump up on the grass verge (on the bend) at the western end of the runway. They filled in the gravel area on the bend a few years ago now :(

Not sure how much has changed at the other end in the last year or so. Don't think you can see much from the terminal area.

Chough

Post by Chough »

Agree the grassy area referred to above is probably best bet for viewing what little activity there is to see these days. Parking at the terminal isn't cheap and the fence is ridiculously high.