Tablets, Planefinder FR24 etc

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
tankbuster

Tablets, Planefinder FR24 etc

Post by tankbuster »

I’m planning on getting a 7 in tablet and I’ve discounted the Kindle Fire HD because of its Android lock down which means I can’t use Planefinder on it because it depends on Google Maps.

I shall probably get a Google Nexus 7. I assume that as it’s standard Android it will, run Planefinder and FR24 even if there isn’t a specific tablet version available. Does anybody have one of these and can confirm that they run OK. The Radar 24 pilot is very interesting but performance is a bit clunky but I assume that will also work when the live version is issued.

One other question. As the Nexus is only WiFi , do these Apps slow down a lot if you dock the tablet with a 3G mobile in order for it to work out of doors.

Any advice is welcome.
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

DylanLlewellyn

Re: Tablets, Planefinder FR24 etc

Post by DylanLlewellyn »

Personally I use an Ipad and cant fault it, been a brilliant bit of kit and travels the world with me! Great product, great support, brilliant photography and aircraft tracking apps, can watch films during a flight even on short haul as the screen is excellent, the original, always copied so why go for anything else!

Cheers

bigfatron

Post by bigfatron »

FR24 works fine on a Nexus 7 but i've not used Planefinder so can't comment on that.

You can now get a 3G version of the Nexus 7, although its only available from Google Play directly I think. I've got the 16GB wifi-only version and haven't had any problems using my phone (also a Nexus device) as a hotspot. Only thing to be mindful of is you're draining 2 batteries instead of 1. And get the 16GB as a minimum, the 8GB is more like just under 6GB once you take the OS and base apps install into consideration.

As for the device itself, its been great for me. I can use it as a camera remote/live view and I can pull RAW files straight off the camera via USB. With an app and a cable that costs a couple of quid you can now also hook it up to USB sticks/card readers. And if you're lugging it around its a better size IMHO than an iPad (just been round India with it in my camera bag every day).

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

DylanLlewellyn wrote:Personally I use an Ipad and cant fault it, been a brilliant bit of kit and travels the world with me! Great product, great support, brilliant photography and aircraft tracking apps, can watch films during a flight even on short haul as the screen is excellent, the original, always copied so why go for anything else!

Cheers

I'm sure you are a lovely bloke but why do people insist on answering genuine questions wiith totally off the wall answers. My budget doesn't aloow for an IPad, An IPad won't fit in my pocket, I want a 7 inch tablet how difficult is that to understand?
Trevor C

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

bigfatron wrote:FR24 works fine on a Nexus 7 but i've not used Planefinder so can't comment on that.

You can now get a 3G version of the Nexus 7, although its only available from Google Play directly I think. I've got the 16GB wifi-only version and haven't had any problems using my phone (also a Nexus device) as a hotspot. Only thing to be mindful of is you're draining 2 batteries instead of 1. And get the 16GB as a minimum, the 8GB is more like just under 6GB once you take the OS and base apps install into consideration.

As for the device itself, its been great for me. I can use it as a camera remote/live view and I can pull RAW files straight off the camera via USB. With an app and a cable that costs a couple of quid you can now also hook it up to USB sticks/card readers. And if you're lugging it around its a better size IMHO than an iPad (just been round India with it in my camera bag every day).

Thanks for the very informative reply. I don't want,don't need a 3G version and I definitely don't want to pay for it or its associated contract. You promote a good experience.

Thanks
Trevor C

Ruislip Rustler

Post by Ruislip Rustler »

I have a Sony wifi-only tablet running Android. I downloaded the FR24 app from the Google Play store and it works a treat. I bought the paid-for "Pro" version (£1.99) which gives me more features and have added the aircraft icons used by the full PC-site as well. Planefinder also has a free and paid-for version (£3.00) but I prefer FR24.

I also have FR24 Pro on my Android phone. It runs pretty well when I'm out and about on the 3G signal.

HTH,

Lee
Insert witty / sarcastic / uncalled for comment (* delete as applicable)

www.leezpics.com

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

Ruislip Rustler wrote:I have a Sony wifi-only tablet running Android. I downloaded the FR24 app from the Google Play store and it works a treat. I bought the paid-for "Pro" version (£1.99) which gives me more features and have added the aircraft icons used by the full PC-site as well. Planefinder also has a free and paid-for version (£3.00) but I prefer FR24.

I also have FR24 Pro on my Android phone. It runs pretty well when I'm out and about on the 3G signal.

HTH,

Lee

Thanks for that. I notice lots of people prefer FR24 but both on my PC and on my phone Planefinder works better for me. That's an aside really the main point is that you are happy with performance.
Trevor C

RRconway

Post by RRconway »

tankbuster wrote:
DylanLlewellyn wrote:Personally I use an Ipad and cant fault it, been a brilliant bit of kit and travels the world with me! Great product, great support, brilliant photography and aircraft tracking apps, can watch films during a flight even on short haul as the screen is excellent, the original, always copied so why go for anything else!

Cheers

I'm sure you are a lovely bloke but why do people insist on answering genuine questions wiith totally off the wall answers. My budget doesn't aloow for an IPad, An IPad won't fit in my pocket, I want a 7 inch tablet how difficult is that to understand?

You might consider the following,
If you have a budget then mention it.
If you have a size limitation, rather than preference, then mention it.
If you prefer one brand over another, then mention it.

If you can't be bothered to list all your requirements or limitations, then expect answers you don't want. Either ignore them or be more specific, don't have a go at people for your lack of information.

This chap gives you a perfectly decent answer and advice and you see fit to have a pop at him, charming.

Any advice is welcome, you said.

How differcult is that to understand?
I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what I said is not what I meant.

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

RRconway wrote:
tankbuster wrote:

Cheers

You might consider the following,
If you have a budget then mention it.
If you have a size limitation, rather than preference, then mention it.
If you prefer one brand over another, then mention it.

If you can't be bothered to list all your requirements or limitations, then expect answers you don't want. Either ignore them or be more specific, don't have a go at people for your lack of information.

This chap gives you a perfectly decent answer and advice and you see fit to have a pop at him, charming.

Any advice is welcome, you said.

A bit unjustified I think. I said I was planning on buying a 7 in tablet. If I had said I was planning on buying a Mini you wouldn't expect answers from someone saying well I've got a Ferrari.
Trevor C

RRconway

Post by RRconway »

tankbuster wrote:
A bit unjustified I think. I said I was planning on buying a 7 in tablet. If I had said I was planning on buying a Mini you wouldn't expect answers from someone saying well I've got a Ferrari.

Not really, 7 inch was the only criteria you mentioned, and not that it had to be 7 inch.
My other points still stand.
If you want an example of unjustified, look at your reply to a perfectly good piece of advice/recommendation.
I'll repeat, if you don't like the advice or it doesn't meet your unspecified requirements you could just ignore it, rather than attack it.
I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what I said is not what I meant.

JohnH

Post by JohnH »

I believe i-pad offer a 7 inch tablet now. All the benifits of the bigger i-pad and it fits your criteria of a 7 inch tablet.

D90Man

Post by D90Man »

Yup - it's called the i-Pad Mini (not Ferrari :grin: )

Still more expensive than an Android based 7" though....

Leon
"Sharpness is in the eye of the holder"
More at http://www.planephotos.org.uk

Lumix

Post by Lumix »

tankbuster wrote:I’m planning on getting a 7 in tablet and I’ve discounted the Kindle Fire HD because of its Android lock down which means I can’t use Planefinder on it because it depends on Google Maps.

I shall probably get a Google Nexus 7. I assume that as it’s standard Android it will, run Planefinder and FR24 even if there isn’t a specific tablet version available. Does anybody have one of these and can confirm that they run OK. The Radar 24 pilot is very interesting but performance is a bit clunky but I assume that will also work when the live version is issued.

One other question. As the Nexus is only WiFi , do these Apps slow down a lot if you dock the tablet with a 3G mobile in order for it to work out of doors.

Any advice is welcome.

I have a 16GB Nexus 7 and both FR24 & Planefinder run fine using wi-fi. Can comment re docking with a 3G mobile however.

As someone else said, you can connect memory sticks you can get a cable from Amazon known as On-The-Go (OTG) which plugs into the USB socket on the bottom of the Nexus and allows you to connect USB memory sticks up to 64GB. This means your 16GB suddenly becomes an 80GB machine.

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

Lumix wrote:
tankbuster wrote:I’m planning on getting a 7 in tablet and I’ve discounted the Kindle Fire HD because of its Android lock down which means I can’t use Planefinder on it because it depends on Google Maps.

Any advice is welcome.

I have a 16GB Nexus 7 and both FR24 & Planefinder run fine using wi-fi. Can comment re docking with a 3G mobile however.

As someone else said, you can connect memory sticks you can get a cable from Amazon known as On-The-Go (OTG) which plugs into the USB socket on the bottom of the Nexus and allows you to connect USB memory sticks up to 64GB. This means your 16GB suddenly becomes an 80GB machine.

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. The info about the usb sticks is useful especially as critics moan about the lack of a card slot.
Trevor C

pb643

Post by pb643 »

I am also very pleased with my Nexus 7, on which I use FR24.

I have not tried Plane finder on it.

The only downside of using FR24 on the Nexus is the lack of camera for AR mode.

I can also recommend Marine Traffic, if you have any interest in such apps.

I tether my Nexus from my Galaxy S, which works very well. Unfortunately the networks seem to have decided that this is a facility that they can attempt to charge you extra for, even though you are still using the data already paid for in your contract. A colleague recently changed network, with tethering being high on his list of must have some. Only one network would provide it free of charge.

No way I could justify the cost of an Ipad of any description, but would heartily recommend the nexus.

I am interested to hear it is possible to use for live view, and any details please.

Phil