just jane to fly soon

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
craig.mason

just jane to fly soon

Post by craig.mason »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-li ... e-20794398 they say it will only take 14 months to get her back in the air
Canon 550D
EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS II Lens
EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III USM

stratocaster

Re: just jane to fly soon

Post by stratocaster »

That is fantastic news! Hope the team can get her flying again,it would be a really fitting and great tribute to their Brother. Now,a pair of Lancs flying for a special occasion or at an airshow..... :drool: :yahoo: :rock: :win:
Card carrying aviation addict!

Maisie

Post by Maisie »

8 Merlins trundling over would sound amazing!
6D | 7D | 60D
11-16 f/2.8 | 24-105 IS L | 70-300 IS USM | 50 f/1.4 | 100 f/2.8 | 400 f/5.6

pb643

Post by pb643 »

I undertstood that the length of runway at East Kirkby was insufficent for the aircraft to operate from.

I have just checked and this is what is says on there website:

"Landing Strip Length- Grass-590m, Concrete-360m
Combined length of 950m (3000ft)"

Is that long enough?

Phil

craig.mason

Post by craig.mason »

I think they will have to sort out runway after they make her airworthy
Canon 550D
EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS II Lens
EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III USM

phreakf4

Post by phreakf4 »

Maisie wrote:8 Merlins trundling over would sound amazing!

You mean like this? Happens at many Duxford shows....

Pardon the red mark on that copy of the file, it was added to illustrate a point in a post some time ago and it was easier to find this copy than the unmarked one.
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....

Maisie

Post by Maisie »

Old Warden's runway is just over 600m and the Lancaster has landed there? So it should be alright unless the surface is ruined.
6D | 7D | 60D

Maisie

Post by Maisie »

phreakf4 wrote:

Pardon the red mark on that copy of the file, it was added to illustrate a point in a post some time ago and it was easier to find this copy than the unmarked one.

I don't get to Duxford much, but I should do really!
6D | 7D | 60D

Hasboman

Post by Hasboman »

Maisie wrote:Old Warden's runway is just over 600m and the Lancaster has landed there? So it should be alright unless the surface is ruined.

Are you sure? The runway at Old Warden is hardly long enough for their Comet, so I think a Lancaster may be a bit too ambitious...

Maisie

Post by Maisie »

Could be wrong, but I'm only going by this photo as I've never seen the Lanc do a fly-by with it's wheels down?

http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Air ... c3745168b5
6D | 7D | 60D

Weather Watcher

Post by Weather Watcher »

Maisie wrote:Could be wrong, but I'm only going by this photo as I've never seen the Lanc do a fly-by with it's wheels down?

http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Air ... c3745168b5

Sorry this was taken at Old Warden 5th August 2012 - nice pass but didn't land

Seafurysmith

Post by Seafurysmith »

No Lancaster has ever, nor could ever land at Old Warden, it's simply too short, even with the increase to accommodate the Comet Racer.

Maisie

Post by Maisie »

Apologies then! :)
6D | 7D | 60D

Captain_Carisma

Post by Captain_Carisma »

Great news, although reading through the article again it would suggest that it would take 14 months to make her airworthy after they have collected all the required components and spares. I know they have stated in the past that they were collecting everything ready to make her airworthy, the question is how close are they to beginning that process.

I've never visited East Kirby myself, but once she is back in the air, would there be the required facilities there to successfully operate from, runway not withstanding? Also, would they be able to carry out all the required work to make her airworthy at her current home? Would she need to be moved somewhere like Duxford for the work to be carried out?

In any case, I look forward to seeing "Jane" back where she belongs. :smile:
I've brought you a gift; I'll give you a hint, it's in my diaper, and it's not a toaster!

RRconway

Post by RRconway »

phreakf4 wrote:

errr, thats 9, a completely different sound altogether :whistle:

Waits to be told one of them has a Griffon!!!! :lol:

Cheers,
Jeff.
I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what I said is not what I meant.

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

I would question the viability of another Lancaster flying.

Sally B is not getting airshow bookings, due to hard pressed airshow organisers going for another large jet bomber, and not being in a position to justify the additional 3-4k appearance fees for the B-17. (Not my words btw, but what was said about a year ago).

I can't imagine a private Lancaster will be any cheaper to operate than Sally B.

So if I was an organiser of a show, would I book the BBMF for 2k (??) and get Spitfire/Hurricane/Lancaster or spend double that and get just a Lancaster.

It would be nice to see, however having two identical aircraft, with one costing considerably more to book, I can't see many organisers going for the more expensive option.

phreakf4

Post by phreakf4 »

FGR2 wrote:I would question the viability of another Lancaster flying.

Sally B is not getting airshow bookings, due to hard pressed airshow organisers going for another large jet bomber, and not being in a position to justify the additional 3-4k appearance fees for the B-17. (Not my words btw, but what was said about a year ago).

I can't imagine a private Lancaster will be any cheaper to operate than Sally B.

So if I was an organiser of a show, would I book the BBMF for 2k (??) and get Spitfire/Hurricane/Lancaster or spend double that and get just a Lancaster.

It would be nice to see, however having two identical aircraft, with one costing considerably more to book, I can't see many organisers going for the more expensive option.

Possibly true, but I would think the larger shows, at least for the first year or two, would promote the novelty value of 2 Lancasters (probably advertising it as "a sight not seen in the UK for over 60 years"). After that there will in all probability be no Vulcan on the circuit and it will be interesting to see what effect, if any, that will have on the air show scene generally. This all assumes that the BBMF, not noted for their collaborative displays with other warbirds, would be up for it.

I would very much like to see two Lancasters flying together, but I am not holding my breath....
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....

Mike

Post by Mike »

RRconway wrote:Waits to be told one of them has a Griffon!!!! :lol:

Two of them, actually. Both since wrecked in accidents. :sad:

Mike

Post by Mike »

FGR2 wrote:.......due to hard pressed airshow organisers going for another large jet bomber.......

Thankfully, that will all be over in another 10 months or so.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Final flight of the Vulcan to coincide with Just Jane's first public sortie - I can just picture XH558 with a Lanc on either wing tip; and if the Shackleton people at Coventry really get on with their dream ............. Oh well it's a nice thought.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Sid-104

Post by Sid-104 »

Just a quick thought. How many pilots are current on the Lanc? I would assume the BoB flight has two and correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure one of the Canadian Warplane Heritage pilots told me they had four people current on their Lancaster. Would I be right in thinking any new pilots/co-pilots would have to at some stage train on either of the two current airworthy Lancs?

Sid.

Hasboman

Post by Hasboman »

As far as I'm aware, the BBMF are very supportive of Just Jane. They often help eachother out with jigs, spares etc. I'm sure they would help with the pilot training.

GertrudetheMerciless

Post by GertrudetheMerciless »

pb643 wrote:I undertstood that the length of runway at East Kirkby was insufficent for the aircraft to operate from.

I have just checked and this is what is says on there website:

"Landing Strip Length- Grass-590m, Concrete-360m
Combined length of 950m (3000ft)"

Is that long enough?

I wouldn't be surprised if any initial flight was from the remaining hard runway surface, as the fast taxy runs were done a few years ago for the filming of "Night Flight".

Just a quick thought. How many pilots are current on the Lanc? I would assume the BoB flight has two and correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure one of the Canadian Warplane Heritage pilots told me they had four people current on their Lancaster. Would I be right in thinking any new pilots/co-pilots would have to at some stage train on either of the two current airworthy Lancs?

BBMF have at least 5 or 6 - three or four qualified as captain. At least four of Just Jane's crew are ex-BBMF (Ed Straw, Mike Leckey, Mike Chatterton & Rick Groombridge), a couple of them being so until very recently.

MicrolightDriver

Post by MicrolightDriver »

It'll be superb to have another airworthy Lancaster on this side of the Atlantic. I imagine it would be very popular on the airshow scene and I certainly wish them well with the project!

Buzz

Post by Buzz »

Looking forward to seeing it fly.

There really is no point questioning the viability of one aircraft type over another. No vintage aircraft flying for airshow purposes is financially viable from airshow bookings!! A spitfire will not even pay for itself from bookings, which is why classic aircraft (be it jet or piston) are generally owned by organisations or rich individuals. I'm sure the Panton brothers are fully aware of the costs involved and as it will be a flying tribute to their brother, this will be the main drive for them to get it flying. Best of luck to them.