just jane to fly soon

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
FGR2

Re: just jane to fly soon

Post by FGR2 »

I hope they are successful, it is just an observation, if you have two identical aircraft to choose from to have at your airshow, you are going to book the cheaper one. I don't think the majority of the general public will care what scheme it is in, as long as a Lancaster is there.

I suppose that rich individuals (Spitfire/Mustang owners) can to a certain extent fund their hobby and use airshows to go towards some of the running costs. A bit like owning a sports car and every now and then someone giving you petrol money to go out for an afternoon drive. I don't think there are many people with deep enough pockets to single handedly run an aircraft with 4 times as many engines, which will mean it will have to be run by a group/supporters club with donations.
If Sally B, that at one time did have the largest aircraft supporters club, still runs close to the wire, (with what is now a unique aircraft in European skies), how will an aircraft of a type that we already have flying, be able to support itself?

It is just a thought

I wish them all the best with the project though, it would be good to see two Lancasters in the air together.

theactualsparky

Post by theactualsparky »

Que switching from supporting one four-engined Avro to another then!

ROB MkIX

Post by ROB MkIX »

As great as it would be to see 'Just Jane' fly I think that it would be a bit of a shame to lose the unique experience that she offers at the moment with the taxy rides. I did one in May and from the briefing in the Nissan hut to the taxy ride itself it truly was both a moving and exciting experience that really made me think of the thousands of aircrew that climbed aboard the aircraft of Bomber Command night after night especially the 55000 who never came back. I know not everyone can afford to do this but it really is a special experience that takes you just a bit nearer to the men of Bomber Command and I guess that it would come to an end if 'Just Jane' becomes airworthy.

The other thought I have is would the MOD/RAF be less inclined to keep the BBMF as it is with PA474 flying if there is a civilian Lancaster on the airshow circuit given how many cut backs the armed forces are suffering. I know they fly Spitfires and Hurricanes when there are plenty of civilian owned ones about but the cost of running a lone Lancaster must surely be much higher.

Whatever happens I wish the Panton brothers Good Luck in the future with 'Just Jane'

Rob

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

I was at a lecture from the BBMF engineering team a while ago and they made it clear there is an excellent relationship between them and the Just Jane team which extends not only to working on Just Jane in their spare time but also to combining on production runs of new items, so no difficulty there and indeed economic benefit to both teams.

I dunno how long Peter Jackson is planning to wait before getting on with the remake of Dambusters, but an extra Lanc would seem to be quite handy.....

John

F-86

Post by F-86 »

The article hardly tells us anything new, it says that it could fly soon. Fourteen months is a very ambitious time period for a restoration to airworthy standard. You only have to look at how long BBMF's Hurricane PZ865 has been out of action for a major overhaul and that was completely airworthy before that. When it happens it will be a great achievement. There is nothing quite like the sight and sound of a Lancaster flying overhead.

AndyXH558

Post by AndyXH558 »

Before closing some guys from Woodford came and examined the wing spars and they are in great condition according to someone I talked to at the historic society at Woodford.
Start every day with a smile!

Bubbles

Post by Bubbles »

theactualsparky wrote:Que switching from supporting one four-engined Avro to another then!

Which one though?

It'd be nice to see the three Avro beasts in the sky together, makes a change from the countless Spitfires..
Is the Vulcan ruining your life? Call this number! 0161 952 0762. Let Jeremy sort it out.

stratocaster

Post by stratocaster »

theactualsparky wrote:Que switching from supporting one four-engined Avro to another then!

Actually not really,I'm a huge fan of both Avro designs and when Lancasters were being churned out for bomber command,My grandmother was in a fabrication workshop helping make the tailplanes for some of them! And the Vulcan was the fist aircraft I was ever in as a very,very small child when it was on static at Prestwick airshow in the early 70's! So both have a special place in my heart! Anyway,as I mentioned,a pair of Lancs flying together for the first time would be a fantastic sight to see and not to mention the engine noise! :biggrin:
Card carrying aviation addict!

AndyXH558

Post by AndyXH558 »

Was your gran at Chadderton by any chance? As my gran was there during the war on the wing spar assembly line. and as for the Vulcan.. it wasn't the first aircraft i saw but it was one of the ones that got me interested in aviation.

I say good luck to the team at East Kirkby, I hope they do it, There is something special about an Avro 4 Engined bomber whether it be jet, prop, or contra rotating prop. :smile:
Start every day with a smile!

stratocaster

Post by stratocaster »

Hi Andy XH558,my gran did her war munitions work in Leith at Seafield for a subcontractor to Avro and other aircraft builders.The company I'm unsure about,would have to ask but I believe it was eventually swallowed up into the Redpath Dorman Long group.The place it was based is now home to Lothian Buses marine garage depot.Hope this helps! :biggrin:

broadstairs

Post by broadstairs »

Just watched a piece on the main part of BBC Breakfast this morning about this, footage of the aircraft and interviews.

Stuart

Weather Watcher

Post by Weather Watcher »

phreakf4

Post by phreakf4 »

An unusually low-key, fact-orientated report from the BBC on an aviation subject, for a change.
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....

theactualsparky

Post by theactualsparky »

well bubbles and Strato, i take your point. Certainly would be nice to see em together. Wonder why that's not happened with the BBMF's?

nx611_1945

Post by nx611_1945 »

FarnboroJohn wrote:I was at a lecture from the BBMF engineering team a while ago and they made it clear there is an excellent relationship between them and the Just Jane team which extends not only to working on Just Jane in their spare time but also to combining on production runs of new items, so no difficulty there and indeed economic benefit to both teams.

John

Our relationship with BBMF is excellent however BBMF engineers do not work on NX611 (they have their hands full at RAF Coningsby) but we do combine production runs and they offer us technical and knowledge support.
We have two full time engineers for Avro Lancaster NX611- Keith Brenchley and Bob Mitchell.

yakdave

Post by yakdave »

Reading the comments about Runway Length etc, This is all part of the project there will be realignment of runway and making longer etc the pantons have got that all in hand

timuss

Post by timuss »

Good luck to them, just think in the years to come we could have an Avro Heavies flight two Lancasters and a Shackleton :drool: :cool:
Last edited by timuss on Thu 03 Jan 2013, 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss

Mike

Post by Mike »

timuss wrote:Good luck to them, just think in the years to come we could have an Avro Heavies flight two Lancasters and and a Shackleton :drool: :cool:

And which Shackleton might that be?

KAM68

Post by KAM68 »

Mike wrote:And which Shackleton might that be?

WR963, more details here: http://www.thegrowler.org.uk/indexaa.html

nx611_1945

Post by nx611_1945 »

NX611 return to flight page has moved!! Here's the new link-

http://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/news/lan ... to-flight/

138EAW

Post by 138EAW »

While listening to the Dambusters Special on BBC Lincolnshire tonight, one of the Panton's was interviewed at one of the Ruhr dams and they mentioned they hoped to have NX611 flying within a year :clap: November was mentioned but couldn't make out what was said..
Gary

Fastwalker

Post by Fastwalker »

Or could November be the start of the restoration to flight after the summer season?

138EAW

Post by 138EAW »

Anyone want to hear what Fred Panton said have a listen here http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p017xpx4 around the 4 hour 45 min mark
Gary

motormouser

Post by motormouser »

It sounds to me that they're hopeing to start the resoration this November?

stratocaster

Post by stratocaster »

It appears that restoration is to start in November,good news if this is the case.