Burma Spitire

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
lambo17841

Burma spitfires

Post by lambo17841 »

Do not know if posted already but agreement has been reached to recover up to 60 spitfires buried in crates supposedly in good condition.Pm was involved in talks so does that mean they will come back to uk.

John in Seaford
Last edited by lambo17841 on Thu 18 Oct 2012, 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mooshie1956

Re: Burma spitfires

Post by Mooshie1956 »

Only item I have seen posted recently is http://news.uk.msn.com/world/lost-spitfires-to-be-recovered. Looks like they will start to dig them up this month
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

Vodka

Post by Vodka »

The stories have jumped about. Think, I first read they were MkII's which thought abit odd at that time of the war. Then its was 20, then 60 and now back down to 20 again.

I'm just waiting for the grumblers to complain they're mk14's and not Mk9's as beyond the mk9 they were'nt proper spitfires :question:

Be a fabulous story if turns out to be true though.

Cue the movie. Hopefully not by the same production company for Strke back - Vengence. They'll be bonking the busty blonde customs officer before they step on the ferry at Dover. Bonking the captains mate, called 'Briggita, Fiery Red head from the Ukraine over the 2 for 1 offer in the bar! A cache of Glock 42's are found, stowed under the Louis Vuitton luggage of Franscesca de le totty. HAalf Italian, half swiss nun who has given up her life of decadence to make her way to a childrens orphanage in Burma! Whereafter, crossing the equator she decides a nuns life is not for her and is coereced into a life of smuggling arms. Meanwhile, our Hero, Brad Pitt lookalike David 'randy' Cundal cutting a dash in his Daks Simpson Khaki safari jacket and John Lobb sand boots.... is caught up in a drinking game of 'spoof 'with a eye-patched beauty! 6 foot tall and all Amazonian. . Petra Suzzette del Conti. Half italian, half Russian. .the other half, did say she was tall. . ! Amazonian! Our Hero; David 'randy' Cundal; is lead blind drunk into tellng the all enticing Suzzeette del Conti, the exact whereabout of 60 Mk14 spitfires! hidden in a burmese cave! each valued at £6,000,000!. . . .

Must admit though Fying Legends 2016 sounds somewhat more exciting!

Mad Dan

Post by Mad Dan »

Wow... That's a film I must remember to avoid...
I am not a loony... I used to be, but I think I am better now...

DanH

Post by DanH »

If the claims are even remotely accurate then it's brilliant news for the warbird scene, although I should think that not all will end up in the UK as I doubt that there are enough people in this country with the resources to operate a Spit. Hopefully the BBMF will take a couple. I find myself wondering what this will mean for the value of Spitfires if they suddenly become significantly less rare.
Always seeking to lower the tone...

https://danhphotography.picfair.com/

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

If they are late mark Griffon Spitfires was there really still the danger of the Japanese invading Burma at that time? I thought they were on the run by then.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

Mad Dan

Post by Mad Dan »

AlexC murmured:
If they are late mark Griffon Spitfires was there really still the danger of the Japanese invading Burma at that time? I thought they were on the run by then.

Exactly my thoughts... And I seem to recall reading when this story first blew up that they were shipped to Burma at a very late stage in the war - possibly just days before the Hiroshima and Nagasaki raids. Once Japan surrendered, there was no need for them and it was apparently pointless shipping them all the way back to the UK, so they were buried. But, I might have got that wrong, of course...
I am not a loony... I used to be, but I think I am better now...

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

"Indiana Jones and the Cadillac of the Sky"
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

My understanding was that the British Government didn't wish to leave them in flyaway condition for anybody to pick up and operate. We must be thankful that they buried them, anyone who has seen the wholesale ransacking that took place at Seletar and other points in the Empire will be aware of how many airframes were simply looted of anything useful and burnt to a crisp.

John

T_J

Post by T_J »

Chap over on Keymags has seen the scans from the British University and the Burmese Geophysical survey reports.

http://forum.keypublishing.com/showpost ... stcount=36

Irishaernut

Post by Irishaernut »

Yep there is many variations of the story, but it is amazing if it all turns out to be spits, even later griffon engined versions.

Although it seems that there are some shenanigans going on as the guy who found them David Cundall has just signed an agreement with the Burmese government to go ahead with the dig.
There was some talk in other articles that he was being muscled out of his find buy some business man.it could be the guy who is now mentioned as his business partner.

Either way the big question is who owns them when they are dug up and then where do they end up???

But vodka is bang on duxfords tail chase just got really long and better.
44 spitfires in formation yup that would be cool

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

On the Chris Evans show on Radio 2 just now they were talking to David Cundalls son about the discovery and apparently he said there were now 14 Mk14's thought to be buried there.
A film crew is with them making a documentary too. He's due back in the UK in the next couple of weeks.
Watch this space....
...Rad shutters auto.

Vodka

Post by Vodka »

A good little interview by a very excited Chris Evans.

David 'Randy' Cundall' :biggrin: As he has now be named "Spitfire Hunter."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01n9zfc

the show will be available soon today so if you want to hear it. The segment was braodcast at 8.15am. He played 633 sqn theme music whilst the interview progressed and then played a couple of cheeky tracks immediately afterwards

"can you dig it" followed by "digging your scene". . he's a lad is that Evanss boy!

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Quite a good article about the Spitfires in The Times this morning. Good photo on the front page although they look like SEAC Mk VIII's to me.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Vodka wrote:he's a lad is that Evans boy!

Can't stand him, too excitable for me!

Abingdonman

Post by Abingdonman »

I listen to Chris Evans most mornings,I've got used to him over the years (used to enjoy watching his Friday TV shows etc)hes maybe childish at times but its fun,and seems to have a good heart...whats wrong with that :wink:
he loves his cars and planes,he bought the Dunlop bridge,and he was suggesting at the time it might be put at Bruntingthorpe...he could be a man we want on our side! :grin:

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

Abingdonman wrote:I listen to Chris Evans most mornings,I've got used to him over the years (used to enjoy watching his Friday TV shows etc)hes maybe childish at times but its fun,and seems to have a good heart...whats wrong with that :wink:
he loves his cars and planes,he bought the Dunlop bridge,and he was suggesting at the time it might be put at Bruntingthorpe...he could be a man we want on our side! :grin:

Heard him talking about he Vulcan from time to time too....Can't be a bad thing.
...Rad shutters auto.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Daily Telegraph this morning reports a Burmese source saying there could be over 100; supply and demand and all that - maybe there'll be such a glut they'll be 2 for 1 in the local supermarket.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Vodka

Post by Vodka »

100? that does sound a bit far fetched. How many container ships back then would it of taken to have that amount.Then spreading the shipments to avoid substantial lose to japanese subs? :ninja:

Sounds as far fetched as the movie ill be working on :lol:

The report at present is 14 from a chap who has spent 14 years researching and looking for these aircraft, that sounds more realistic ?

Pat Murphy

Post by Pat Murphy »

Reading through this thread it sounds as though a few are almost dissapointed that they might be Griffon powered. I just don't get this. I mean I like to hear a Merlin as much as the next man but I can't say I am unhappy to hear a throaty Griffon either. Let's take this 10 years down the line and after a lot of blood sweat and tears, not to mention a big bucket load of cash, we all head off to Duxford grumbling about the line up of 30 plus Spitfires all Griffon powered. What a downer that would be :roll: :grin:

ericbee123

Post by ericbee123 »

ILoveLightnings wrote:. Let's take this 10 years down the line and after a lot of blood sweat and tears, not to mention a big bucket load of cash, we all head off to Duxford grumbling about the line up of 30 plus Spitfires all Griffon powered. What a downer that would be :roll: :grin:

Or 10 years down the line and there are possibly 2 recently rebuilt Griffon engined Spitfires in the line up and a hangar full of ( then ) 80 year old crates full of 80 year old Spitfire bits waiting for some more wealthy people to start restoring.
Disclaimer-I have spell/grammar checked this post, it may still contain mistakes that might cause offence.

Pat Murphy

Post by Pat Murphy »

ericbee123 wrote:
ILoveLightnings wrote:. Let's take this 10 years down the line and after a lot of blood sweat and tears, not to mention a big bucket load of cash, we all head off to Duxford grumbling about the line up of 30 plus Spitfires all Griffon powered. What a downer that would be :roll: :grin:

Or 10 years down the line and there are possibly 2 recently rebuilt Griffon engined Spitfires in the line up and a hangar full of ( then ) 80 year old crates full of 80 year old Spitfire bits waiting for some more wealthy people to start restoring.

Given that we don't even know what condition they are in, I would say that we are both on the optimistic side :grin: Fingers crossed. It would be amazing to see a pristine Spit Fuse wheeled out of it's crate looking like a new pin with a a pair of shiny wings on a rack :cool:

The Dudster

Post by The Dudster »

iainpeden wrote:Daily Telegraph this morning reports a Burmese source saying there could be over 100; supply and demand and all that - maybe there'll be such a glut they'll be 2 for 1 in the local supermarket.

more like BOGOF :grin:

Ruislip Rustler

Post by Ruislip Rustler »

Just one thought - what evidence has been shown to prove the existence of one, let alone "over 100"?

And, if they do exist, what are the chances of one being in "pristine condition" if they had been buried?

Would those doing the burying have taken the time to check that the aircraft were packed correctly before piling a shed load of mud on top of the (quite possibly) non-reinforced boxes?

Why crate them up and not fly them out?
Insert witty / sarcastic / uncalled for comment (* delete as applicable)

www.leezpics.com