Airbase (Mk II) - St Mawgan

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Andover

Re: New Aircraft Museum - St Mawgan

Post by Andover »

Domvickery wrote:
vulcan558 wrote:nice view of the coast if your in the right side of the plane, other side just boreing sea for the eye can see. so I beg to difer.

What about the way back?

Easy solution - if they fly along the middle of Cornwall at reasonable height, you'd have the north coast on one side and south coast on t'other! :lol: ...and, er...vice versa...I think? :question: :lol:

NAM Updater

Post by NAM Updater »

FGR2 wrote:I thought that Newark and Duxford were not able to secure the finances or did not want one. If they could have afforded one or felt they could have looked after one, I am sure they could have secured one. Wasn't one of the R1s in a disassembled state and would not have been a complete/representative airframe, that is why it was rejected?

For the sake of clarity here is the press statement that Newark issued in October 2010 explaining why the museum had stopped pursuing a Nimrod R1.

“No Nimrod for Newark Air Museum

Within the last few days the trustees of the Newark Air Museum have notified the RAF’s Nimrod Disposal Team that they no longer wish to pursue the purchase of a Nimrod R1 airframe.

This difficult decision has been reached after a careful and considered evaluation of a diverse range of factors which has been underway since June 2009 and initially included the possible airborne delivery of an airframe to Winthorpe.

One of the main factors influencing this decision was that it has not been possible to solve the unique engineering problem of removing and then re-fitting the wings, without creating major structural integrity issues with the airframe. The museum also recently become aware that spares recovery of significant airframe parts from the nominally allocated Nimrod R1 airframe would be likely; thereby leading to an incomplete airframe being available for disposal.

The museum trustees felt that the workload and expense that would be incurred in dismantling, transporting and reassembling the airframe could no longer be justified for an incomplete airframe. This point was reinforced by the realisation that the likelihood of securing the missing items from other sources would be minimal.

The trustees of the Newark Air Museum would like to place on record their thanks to everyone involved in this evaluation process for their patience and support during the last 15 months. In particular to: the Nimrod Disposal Team at RAF Kinloss; 51 Squadron at RAF Waddington; the 51 Squadron Association and its members; the RAF Museum at Cosford; its own museum staff and members; the various contractors and transport companies that have offered their advice and expertise; and finally to the wider aviation community for all of their offers of support and encouragement.

The funds within the museum’s budget that were earmarked for the proposed Nimrod R1 acquisition will now be reallocated to other potential airframe acquisitions; to the repainting of several existing large airframe at Newark; and towards the development costs associated with the new Southfield Site Visitor Centre project.

Finally the trustees would like to send their best wishes to those groups that have already successfully acquired examples of the Nimrod – the ‘Mighty Hunter’.”
Howard Heeley - Newark Air Museum Trustee
Every museum visit counts!
http://newarkairmuseum.org

Andover

Post by Andover »

The museum also recently become aware that spares recovery of significant airframe parts from the nominally allocated Nimrod R1 airframe would be likely

Why???
Last edited by Andover on Tue 22 Jan 2013, 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FGR2

Re: Airbase (Mk II) - St Mawgan

Post by FGR2 »

I am sure they have done their homework.

I don't think you can compare the Classic Airforce move to the Aeropark, which I visited in the early 1980s. The aircraft were parked outside and pretty much left to rot, until the owners decided to turn it into the theme park "Flambards."
I would like to think Aircraft preservation has come a long way from those days.

There is also more publicity now, in those days it was just a flyer and a couple of Morris Minors with planks of wood cut out in the shape of Concorde on the roof (yes I have a photo of them) for publicity.

I would go down to Cornwall for a weekend, stop off at Yeovilton on the way, Newquay Airport, possibly spend a day driving around St Ives/Hayle/Padstow, then come home. I will be doing that this year.

They must seem to think the move is worth it though, high tourist numbers, pleasure flight opportunities, large hangar space, clear/less restricted airspace. Latest updates are that they are setting up conference facilities and opportunities for other events with classic aircraft as backdrops. I haven't been to Newquay Airport for about 18 months but a lot of work has been apparently been going on there.

I am not sure how much extra fuel is required and the overall cost of flying to shows, but the Hunter Flying Club were only just up the road in Exeter for many years. At least Culdrose should have a good show though :smile:

NAM Updater

Post by NAM Updater »

Andover wrote:
The museum also recently become aware that spares recovery of significant airframe parts from the nominally allocated Nimrod R1 airframe would be likely

Why???

A very good question that was also asked several times by NAM!

In hindsight and in my own opinion, stopping the purchase was one of the best decisions that the museum has made in recent times.
Howard Heeley - Newark Air Museum Trustee
Every museum visit counts!
http://newarkairmuseum.org

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

NAM Updater wrote:
FGR2 wrote:I thought that Newark and Duxford were not able to secure the finances or did not want one. If they could have afforded one or felt they could have looked after one, I am sure they could have secured one. Wasn't one of the R1s in a disassembled state and would not have been a complete/representative airframe, that is why it was rejected?

For the sake of clarity here is the press statement that Newark issued in October 2010 explaining why the museum had stopped pursuing a Nimrod R1.

“No Nimrod for Newark Air Museum

Within the last few days the trustees of the Newark Air Museum have notified the RAF’s Nimrod Disposal Team that they no longer wish to pursue the purchase of a Nimrod R1 airframe.

This difficult decision has been reached after a careful and considered evaluation of a diverse range of factors which has been underway since June 2009 and initially included the possible airborne delivery of an airframe to Winthorpe.

One of the main factors influencing this decision was that it has not been possible to solve the unique engineering problem of removing and then re-fitting the wings, without creating major structural integrity issues with the airframe. The museum also recently become aware that spares recovery of significant airframe parts from the nominally allocated Nimrod R1 airframe would be likely; thereby leading to an incomplete airframe being available for disposal.

The museum trustees felt that the workload and expense that would be incurred in dismantling, transporting and reassembling the airframe could no longer be justified for an incomplete airframe. This point was reinforced by the realisation that the likelihood of securing the missing items from other sources would be minimal.

The trustees of the Newark Air Museum would like to place on record their thanks to everyone involved in this evaluation process for their patience and support during the last 15 months. In particular to: the Nimrod Disposal Team at RAF Kinloss; 51 Squadron at RAF Waddington; the 51 Squadron Association and its members; the RAF Museum at Cosford; its own museum staff and members; the various contractors and transport companies that have offered their advice and expertise; and finally to the wider aviation community for all of their offers of support and encouragement.

The funds within the museum’s budget that were earmarked for the proposed Nimrod R1 acquisition will now be reallocated to other potential airframe acquisitions; to the repainting of several existing large airframe at Newark; and towards the development costs associated with the new Southfield Site Visitor Centre project.

Finally the trustees would like to send their best wishes to those groups that have already successfully acquired examples of the Nimrod – the ‘Mighty Hunter’.”

Thanks for clarifying, I thought I saw something (this must have been the press release the other year) about it being a non-complete airframe, and was not worth pursuing.

Andover

Post by Andover »

Regarding the greater distance for the classic fleet to get to airshows, I read a while ago that as the link with Coventry will continue for maintenance, the aircraft can position there for airshows in the region.

buzzer

Post by buzzer »

AMB wrote:Flambards at Helston, Cornwall - failed and closed.

Torbay Aircraft museum - failed and closed

so on these ground's this is why you think that airbase has made a massive mistake in moving form Coventry to newquay?!!
and just for the record Flambards did no,and has not failed, its still one of the largest tourist attraction in the south west.!!!
only reason the aircraft were moved/ sold on was, as said thay were stored out side, and were starting to show signs on decay..
with the son taking over from the father who owned and had the interest in the aircraft in the first place, but the son didn't! the son thought the money could be better spent on "fair ground rides" so the collection was moved on!! and i know this as i worked there when the changed of plan started to take effect!!!!!
also you say it would cost a fair penny to travel down to newquay to view the aircraft??
it would cost YOU a fair penny..yes.. but for the thousands of tourist that will already be down here holidaying, its going to only cost the the same price it cost's to go to any other of the "family attractions" that we have in the south west!!!
As has already been said above. who ever made the final decision to relocate obviously had good reason to do so.
and must have settled on newquay for a dam good reassion.. simple as.. like it or not its happening :clap:
be glade its moving at all. might have just been easier for them to have closed the doors and sold of there collection. and lived a happier life living of the profits.. but thank god thay didn't :cool:

Devon9

Post by Devon9 »

so on these ground's this is why you think that airbase has made a massive mistake in moving form Coventry to newquay?!!
and just for the record Flambards did no,and has not failed, its still one of the largest tourist attraction in the south west.!!!
only reason the aircraft were moved/ sold on was, as said thay were stored out side, and were starting to show signs on decay..
with the son taking over from the father who owned and had the interest in the aircraft in the first place, but the son didn't! the son thought the money could be better spent on "fair ground rides" so the collection was moved on!! and i know this as i worked there when the changed of plan started to take effect!!!!!
also you say it would cost a fair penny to travel down to newquay to view the aircraft??
it would cost YOU a fair penny..yes.. but for the thousands of tourist that will already be down here holidaying, its going to only cost the the same price it cost's to go to any other of the "family attractions" that we have in the south west!!!
As has already been said above. who ever made the final decision to relocate obviously had good reason to do so.
and must have settled on newquay for a dam good reassion.. simple as.. like it or not its happening :clap:
be glade its moving at all. might have just been easier for them to have closed the doors and sold of there collection. and lived a happier life living of the profits.. but thank god thay didn't :cool:

Absolutely and to be fair Flambards had an identity problem. was it an aircraft collection, was it a theme park?

Also worth noting that airbase (being on the north coast) is considerably easier to get to and much more central for the south west holiday maker.

sdad

Post by sdad »

Devon9 wrote: considerably easier to get to and much more central for the south west holiday maker.

Not at all central and well over an hour's journey from the part of Cornwall to which I have often travelled.

Devon9

Post by Devon9 »

Not at all central and well over an hour's journey from the part of Cornwall to which I have often travelled

Living in Devon now and having spent most of my time in Cornwall I can CONFIRM its pretty easy to get to! (drive that way from the middle of Devon frequently and takes me slightly over an hour) and central to most of the high volume tourist spots! as for it being more than an hour away from other Cornish locations, there are not many areas of cornwall (other than a few remote locations) that you cant get to Newquay in an hour! :confused: other than may be Sennen cove on a bad day (but done in an hour most days) I cant think of many! where the feck did you visit?

PeteM

Post by PeteM »

From where I live (inside the M25) to North Cornwall is a 4 hour journey, I've never been to Coventry so can't comment re travelling time. I would never comtemplate visiting Coventry but would certainly make the effort to see the collection at St Mawgan. The visitor attractions in Cornwall, the abundance of accomodation (reasonable price out of season) make it a far more attractive proposition.
I have applied to become a member and intend to visit as many times as possible.

sdad

Post by sdad »

Devon9 wrote: where did you visit?

Looe area - many times but not for a few years now. It's getting started on the local roads that takes the time, surely - nothing like zooming along the new A30 at all.

Devon9

Post by Devon9 »

Looe area - many times but not for a few years now. It's getting started on the local roads that takes the time, surely - nothing like zooming along the new A30 at all

Amazed! :confused: I Know looe very well used to play rugby in cornwall (and still have friends down there) Looe to Looe mills / A38 is about 12-15 minutes, not a too bad road (not the best granted! but good enough). Looe mills/A38 to Newquay via A30 is around 30 minutes. Looe I admit would be one of the further points of cornwall but " well over an hour"? amazed! :confused: If you did it in 50 minutes you would be driving PRETTY SLOWLY. the whole trip is about 35 miles! to take well over an hour would mean you averaging 30 MPH with 3/4 of the journey on the (in your own word) nice easy A30.

Fair criticism is constructive but that is just negativity without reason!

As for your comment regarding easy on the A30, YOU ARE IN LOOE for christ sake, your only 9 or 10 miles from A38 that take you to A30 ( closer than me actually, im about 12 miles from it)

Also as per my comment Looe is certainly a holiday destination, but does not have the high volumes of other areas and is one of the furthest points of cornwall from Newquay but well over an hour (come on!)

Coventry is pretty central I accept that but I certainly wouldn't go there for a weekend! it was good for people from the midlands (granted) but get a nice weekend in cornwall, get a nice break and some aviation! and if you want to book accommodation in Looe,I can confirm its a nice place and will NOT take you well over an hour (resisting being sarcastic now). But book up in North Cornwall (just a stones throw and prettier), Tintagel, King Arthur, Airbase great beaches etc and depending which way you come call into The heli museum at Weston or the excellent FAA museum. (positivity is a nice 2013 word :smile: )

If you travel in the school holidays at certain times traffic can be un-predictable, but easy to avoid holiday maker arrival times for those few weeks!

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

Some photos of the new hangar (and visitors) here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/classicairforce/

sdad

Post by sdad »

Negativity with reason because AA Route Planner gives 1h 11mins from Looe.

Devon9

Post by Devon9 »

Negativity with reason because AA Route Planner gives 1h 11mins from Looe

NO!! negativity WITHOUT reason.

1, Just looked at AA routemaster it is stating 1h6m (1h11 is to Newquay itself, the airport is a little closer) while taking you the LONGEST WAY.. (its only 33.9 miles for christ sake) Just look at the route it takes you! just look at it and think oh yeh there is a shorter route!

2, Local knowledge is far superior than some manufactured piece of software!

IT WILL NOT TAKE WELL OVER AN HOUR.. :wall: :wall: :wall:

I have just asked one of my delivery drivers, i said if i had a pick up in looe for mid-day what time will you be in Newquay. he said in like drivers do, oh ages in this weather 45/50 minutes.! says it all.

SDAD local knowledge is sometimes much more practical than a website, if you wish i will drive it and video it for you!! might not hurt if you are down here again to ask and will happily help you save 20 minutes

psquiddy

Post by psquiddy »

Devon9 wrote:
Negativity with reason because AA Route Planner gives 1h 11mins from Looe

NO!! negativity WITHOUT reason.

1, Just looked at AA routemaster it is stating 1h6m (1h11 is to Newquay itself, the airport is a little closer) while taking you the LONGEST WAY.. (its only 33.9 miles for christ sake) Just look at the route it takes you! just look at it and think oh yeh there is a shorter route!

2, Local knowledge is far superior than some manufactured piece of software!

IT WILL NOT TAKE WELL OVER AN HOUR.. :wall: :wall: :wall:

I have just asked one of my delivery drivers, i said if i had a pick up in looe for mid-day what time will you be in Newquay. he said in like drivers do, oh ages in this weather 45/50 minutes.! says it all.

SDAD local knowledge is sometimes much more practical than a website, if you wish i will drive it and video it for you!! might not hurt if you are down here again to ask and will happily help you save 20 minutes

1hr 6min is not exactly a huge trip - where is the problem? For a family day out whilst on holiday that sounds ok to me.

We were in Cornwall last summer (?) and went from Newquay to the Eden Project - which was ok, but given the choice of spending an hour and 6 minutes in the car I would rather go to see some old aircraft (wife may not agree though)
Over 300 free things to do in London
http://www.toplondondaysout.co.uk

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

former9 wrote:Just a thought! for anyone planning to visit Airbase there is also the WW2 airfield at Davidstowe (link attached), which is a short distance (and it is a short distance :grin: ) from Newquay.

http://www.cornwallatwarmuseum.co.uk/

They've got the Gannet which sat for many years at Flambards, as far as I know.

Chough

Post by Chough »

I think the Eden Project gets around a million visitors a year and if memory serves me correctly, Clasic Air Force are looking for around 100,000. Eden has this week announced redundancies totalling around 70 from their workforce of over 400, seems the Olympics last year resulted in a significant reduction of tourists to Cornwall which is expected to be back to usual numbers in 2013.

Standard admission to Eden is something like £23 but a very cheap offer is available to Cornish residents. I l know Newquay well and like many Cornish people tend to criticise some aspects of the local scene there these days but provided Classic price things sensibly and perhaps offer discounts for return visits they ought to do well despite the gloomy projections some offer here . I wish them well and look forward to my first visit.

One final comment: the notorious congestion seen at times on the A30 on Bodmin Moor will be a thing of the past in two or three years when a new dualcarriageway is constructed speeding up journeys - though sadly not from Looe !

DeanW

Post by DeanW »

Rich H's post over on FC lists all the Classic Flight aircraft moves to St Mawgan and notes the Meteor T7 as being the next departure on the 3rd March.

Kip Casper

Post by Kip Casper »

PeterR wrote:My bad, got my weeks mixed up. Starting next week, Coventry will look an empty sad place with them all gone.

The Nimrod, Shackleton will still be there along with the DC-6 diner.

Oh and 'my bad' is one of the worst Americanisms to ever cross the water. :handbag:
Last edited by Kip Casper on Sat 02 Mar 2013, 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.gcse.com/english/there.htm - learn how to use 'their', 'there' and 'they're'.

Rory76

Post by Rory76 »

Surely "from the get go" is worse?
Ricoh Caplio R5

Sony A300 ('L' Plates Fitted)