US Airshows cancelled (Updated)

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
138EAW

US Airshows cancelled (Updated)

Post by 138EAW »

First Airshow casualty of the USAF budget problems..

Langley Cancels Air Show

Posted 2/15/2013 Updated 2/15/2013

from 633rd Air Base Wing Public Affairs
Joint Base Langley-Eustis

2/15/2013 - LANGLEY AIR FORCE BASE, Va. -- The 2013 Air Power Over Hampton Roads Open House and Air Show, scheduled for May 3-5, has been cancelled. Driven by the dual threat of operating under a continuing resolution and a potential sequestration, U.S. Air Force leadership at all levels are proactively implementing near-term actions to minimize impact to readiness and our people while protecting wartime operations.

"The Air Force has to consider the fiscal challenges affecting the Department of Defense and the nation," said Col. Korvin Auch, 633rd Air Base Wing commander. "We're taking prudent steps now in order to be good stewards of taxpayer resources while focusing on maintaining readiness."

The decision to cancel the air show and open house at Langley Air Force Base was not easy considering the show's popularity and the Hampton Road area's support of the military.

"We sincerely appreciate the sustained support and understanding from our service members, their families, the American public and specifically our local Hampton Roads supporters and friends, through these trying fiscal times," said Auch. "We cannot continue functioning as the world's most capable Air Force without this support.

"I believe that opening our gates to the general public is periodically necessary to demonstrate modern weapon systems and capabilities, to promote positive community and international relations, to showcase our Airmen and to support Air Force recruiting and retention," said Auch. "For that reason, my team and I are already looking at future years where we can once again showcase Air Power Over Hampton Roads to the community in which we live and work."

No dates for future Air Power Over Hampton Roads have been set.

Info from Langley AFB website
Last edited by 138EAW on Wed 27 Feb 2013, 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

Mike

Re: Langley Airshow cancelled

Post by Mike »

canard67

Post by canard67 »

I have got a bad feeling about this ,I hope Nellis and Miramar survive the cuts.

Mike

Post by Mike »

wamovements

Post by wamovements »

And Dover AB as well :mad:

Nellis is an fy14 airshow and is not affected for now
Starting from Issue 406 Scramble Magazine is a full colour magazine, another reason to subscribe!

sylvancatharsis

Post by sylvancatharsis »

wamovements wrote:And Dover AB as well :mad:

I wonder if the Dover show was ever a go to begin with. There was no advertising for it, and Dover has a tendency to show up on the Golden Knights' schedule without actually hosting an air show.
I like my food the way I like my friends:
Genetically Modified.

Joe Spares

Post by Joe Spares »

Would say it's fairly safe to wave goodbye to US participation at RIAT then, if they're not even doing shows at home :wall:

st24

Post by st24 »

Joe Spares wrote:Would say it's fairly safe to wave goodbye to US participation at RIAT then, if they're not even doing shows at home :wall:

It's only affecting events and operations up until May IIRC. After that it may get better..... or a lot worse...... :sad:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

138EAW

Re: US Airshows cancelled (Updated)

Post by 138EAW »

Indianapolis Airshow, has now been cancelled

http://www.indyairshow.com/

Also

Thunder Over Louisville, faces the prospect of loosing the USAF participation
http://www.courier-journal.com/article/ ... udget-cuts

With sequestration looming on Friday not looking good
Gary

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Quick question does the government pay for or inherit the cost of all the flypasts at all the sporting events across the US or are they payed for by the sporting organisers??
Did you hear about the dyslexic pimp? He bought a ware house!
Proud member of the Silverstone Marshalling Team

trebleone
UKAR Supporter

Post by trebleone »

Langley Cancels Air Show

....... Driven by the dual threat of operating under a continuing resolution and a potential sequestration, U.S. Air Force leadership at all levels are proactively implementing near-term actions to minimize impact to readiness and our people while protecting wartime operations.

Could someone translate that sentence into English, please? :roll:

Mad Dan

Post by Mad Dan »

Basically, they are strapped for cash - join the club...
I am not a loony... I used to be, but I think I am better now...

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

It's deadline day today, if things go badly and no agreement is made I would expect all US military airshows and participation in other shows both at home and abroad in the air and on the ground will be cancelled.

Andy

138EAW

Post by 138EAW »

boff180 wrote:It's deadline day today, if things go badly and no agreement is made I would expect all US military airshows and participation in other shows both at home and abroad in the air and on the ground will be cancelled.

Andy

Also the USAF are looking at an automatic 18% cut in flying hours if sequestration kicks is among other measures

http://www.defensenews.com/article/2013 ... nav%7Chead

And more grimly for US flying in the UK Gen. Breedlove commander of USAFE-AFAFRICA said the following a couple of weeks ago

"We think (sequestration) could result in a 22 percent reduction to our budget, which means flying could stop as much as two-and-a-half-months before the end of the year," Breedlove said.

http://www.usafe.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123335623

With the US financial year ending 30th September worse case scenairo, Lakenheath could stopping flying in July. Let's hope they can sort the budget out and not just delay or postpone the deadline like in the past
Gary

swingy

Post by swingy »

trebleone wrote:
Langley Cancels Air Show

....... Driven by the dual threat of operating under a continuing resolution and a potential sequestration, U.S. Air Force leadership at all levels are proactively implementing near-term actions to minimize impact to readiness and our people while protecting wartime operations.

Could someone translate that sentence into English, please? :roll:

of operating under a continuing resolution

The US equivalent of the House of Commons and House of Lords could not agree a 2013 budget i.e. the amount of money each part of the US Federal Government could spend. In the US the amount each Department can spend is fixed annually. The Federal Government includes the Department of Defence. So that the Federal Government could continue to function they agreed a continuing resolution. In effect they extended the limits for 2012 to cover part of 2013 at the same monthly spend rate for 2012. That continuing resolution expires on March 27 2013. This is potentially more damaging to the US than sequestration in the short term if not resolved as the Feds will have no money to spend at all nothing not a cent. In that situation the Federal Government shuts down.

and a potential sequestration

The sequestration will be signed into law by the President at 23.59 today March 1st. This was a piece of legislation developed in I think 2011 as part of the annual fixing of the budget to encourage / force the politicians in the two houses to set a realistic budget. It was deliberately set as a very severe cut in budget target to force the two parties to reach agreement. It failed in that objective. It now means excessively deep cuts to the budgets for the next 10 years. This is bad but it is not an impossible position as they can as quickly repeal it if they can reach agreement on Capitol Hill. The problem with it is that there is no discretion given to the federal Government departments as to what which projects or schemes they wish to cut. They have to cut them all by roughly the same percentage amount. The joint chiefs went to Capitol Hill to argue for this discretionary power but it was not passed as the same power was not being extended to other government departments.

proactively implementing near-term actions

That is things they can do now. Because the sequestration has occurred in the middle of the US fiscal year they have to scramble to make the cuts for this year in a shorter period of time and that is cuts to a budget that had already no allowance for inflation as it was a continuation. See previous comments above.

minimize impact to readiness and our people while protecting wartime operations

All that means is we can not stop fighting in Afghanistan etc so we have to make the cuts back home and we want to do it the best way we can without hitting our folks too hard. That is not that easy. They can’t by law cut the pay of enlisted troops so they are trying to make staff cost savings by putting the civilian workforce on 4 day weeks. That impacts training and maintenance, family welfare all sorts of things. For example ranges are heavily staffed by civilians so range time goes down, fuel budget gets cut so flight time goes down. The forecast from memory is that 40% of the air force will be non-combat ready in 6 months and it will take a year to recover from a 6 month period under these fiscal constraints.

Hope that helps a bit.

Danny

Post by Danny »

Entire Thunderbirds season cancelled apparently, not looking good. :sad:
"Can you believe it? Chelsea will just not let go in the Champions League!"

Agg
UKAR Staff

Post by Agg »

AIR FORCE CUTS AVIATION SUPPORT AT PUBLIC EVENTS -- NEW INFORMATION. The Department of Defense has directed the Air Force, and all the services, to cancel aviation support to public events for at least the remainder of the fiscal year. Additionally, the Air Force will stand down the Thunderbirds aerial demonstration team. Effective immediately, active-duty, Reserve and Guard units will cease all aviation support to the public. This includes the cancellation of support to all air shows, tradeshows, and flyovers (including funerals and military graduations). Additionally, the Air Force will cancel the Thunderbirds' entire 2013 season beginning April 1.

Everything is cancelled, there will be no airshow support from the USAF this year..

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

Agg wrote:
AIR FORCE CUTS AVIATION SUPPORT AT PUBLIC EVENTS -- NEW INFORMATION. The Department of Defense has directed the Air Force, and all the services, to cancel aviation support to public events for at least the remainder of the fiscal year. Additionally, the Air Force will stand down the Thunderbirds aerial demonstration team. Effective immediately, active-duty, Reserve and Guard units will cease all aviation support to the public. This includes the cancellation of support to all air shows, tradeshows, and flyovers (including funerals and military graduations). Additionally, the Air Force will cancel the Thunderbirds' entire 2013 season beginning April 1.
Everything is cancelled, there will be no airshow support from the USAF this year..

Sad. The decision being taken within a 45 minute window, if you believe the rumours.

Mike

Post by Mike »

Navy likewise. No Blue Angels or F-18 TAC Demo Team appearances after the end of March, unless cuts are rescinded and budgets re-instated, to be reviewed on a month-by-month basis.

I'd expect quite a few more shows will be cancelled in the next few days on the back of this news of no military participation this year.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

I cannot believe a bunch of politicians can't agree a deal when the cliff was looming. I really do hope voters punish them for this.

On a UK Airshow front, RIATs static line is going to look awfully empty without USAF heavies which is a massive shame. Even bigger shame is that many people will blame RIAT post show when this is something completely out of their hands.

Andy

sylvancatharsis

Post by sylvancatharsis »

boff180 wrote:I cannot believe a bunch of politicians can't agree a deal when the cliff was looming. I really do hope voters punish them for this.

That's American politics in a nutshell. One party proposes a solution, the other side whines because the special interests lining their pockets will take a hit, and so instead of coming up with a solution they find the best way to blame it on the other party. A bit like a playground dispute between five-year-olds, really. And though voters will whine and scream, come next election most of those lawmakers responsible for this ridiculous failure will keep their seats. Because, you know, it's the other guy's fault.

I love my countrymen in the spirit of humanity, but sometimes I have to raise serious questions about their intellect.
I like my food the way I like my friends:
Genetically Modified.

The Dudster

Post by The Dudster »

Think we can also kiss goodbye to anything at the 70th 8th USAAF anniversary show at Duxford in May too :sad:

UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

Post by UK Airshow Review »

wamovements

Post by wamovements »

From what I have understand there is only little change that the current situation will last till 30 September 2013 (end of fy13), but the fact that the chance is there, is of course no good for many, including us aviation enthousiasts. I got the feeling that they currently play with the public opinion with mentioning that the TB and BA cancel their shows for the whole season. From what I have heard it will be a matter of time before the sequestration is over again and a budget solution is found, because impact is much bigger than cancelling many airshows, the TB, BA and solo demonstrations only!
Starting from Issue 406 Scramble Magazine is a full colour magazine, another reason to subscribe!