Anti-drone protesters break into RAF Waddington

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
vulcan558

Re: Anti-drone protesters break into RAF Waddington

Post by vulcan558 »

Guess the fine was paid with a whip round of the collection plate on Sunday.

chipmunk22

Post by chipmunk22 »

Shoot the bastards :lol:

JackyRIATWilson

Post by JackyRIATWilson »

chipmunk22 wrote:Shoot the bastards :lol:

Watch it.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

JackyRIATWilson wrote:
DanO1978 wrote:Woah, that'll teach them... :roll: :clown:

Disgusting sentence, it was practically a burglary and causing criminal damage. What is also worrying is that they also appear to have had sympathy from the judge!!!!!

Jack.

I'm not entirely sure they stole anything to constitute it as a burglary? Criminal damage is fair enough. £100 will cover the fence repair (not sure about court costs though).

What alternative sentence would be preferable?

We live in a free country, if people want to protest then let it be. The fine will repair the fence, they have learnt their lesson and there is a suitable deterrent to others. Issue closed? :dunno:

JackyRIATWilson

Tommy wrote:
JackyRIATWilson wrote:

Disgusting sentence, it was practically a burglary and causing criminal damage. What is also worrying is that they also appear to have had sympathy from the judge!!!!!

Jack.

I'm not entirely sure they stole anything to constitute it as a burglary? Criminal damage is fair enough. £100 will cover the fence repair (not sure about court costs though).

We live in a free country, if people want to protest then let it be. The fine will repair the fence, they have learnt their lesson and there is a suitable deterrent to others. Issue closed? :dunno:

I think that's a pretty naïve thing to say. As long as the drones are around people will continue to protest. I think the sentence was too lenient; criminal damage of an MOD establishment is a serious thing. Yes, it was only a fence, but they set out to cause a nuisance, and if you think they will not find a way to do it again, you'd be wrong. There is a woman at Waddington who, in her own words, "will refuse to leave the outskirts of Waddington until the drones leave Afghanistan." Nutter. :wall:

Jack.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

JackyRIATWilson wrote:
Tommy wrote:
JackyRIATWilson wrote:

Jack.

I think that's a pretty naïve thing to say. As long as the drones are around people will continue to protest. I think the sentence was too lenient; criminal damage of an MOD establishment is a serious thing. Yes, it was only a fence, but they set out to cause a nuisance, and if you think they will not find a way to do it again, you'd be wrong. There is a woman at Waddington who, in her own words, "will refuse to leave the outskirts of Waddington until the drones leave Afghanistan." Nutter. :wall:

Jack.

Valid point, you can't stop them coming again. Fair enough, but you'd expect the sentencing to get tougher.

What I was getting at was that you said the sentence is too lenient, I get that, but I'm asking what you think their sentence should be? You can't haul them off for burglary because they haven't stolen anything. You can be sure that the magistrate who dealt with this had counsel tot up the sums exactly, and the fine reflects that. What else is there to do?

I know it seems like it but trust me, courts don't just fine money that the judge thinks is about right. It is all considered and calculated. That fine will go to paying court costs, and repairing the fence. The only way for the judge to change the figures without raising serious eyebrows is to round it up or down to a round number, and even then the capacity to do so is limited.

Perhaps there are lessons to be learned at Waddington about their security if a bunch of protesters can break into/onto the airfield so easily.

I agree with you in that they are all lunatics.... :hypno: :hide:

JackyRIATWilson

A prison sentence of at least 6 months. Little tap on the wrist it feels like to me!

I shall stop rambling otherwise I will be here all day!

Jack.

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

But in this country that kind of sentence isn't even given out to drink drivers who are far more of a nuisance than a bunch of nutters, therefore it's viewed as "the punishment doesn't fit the crime". I'm not saying it's right, just saying that's the way it is. Sometimes heavy sentences are handed out to "make a point" as a deterrent but I think most people would prefer a prison bed to go to a pedophile rather than some brain washed protestor.

I personally think that banning them all from being within 2 miles of the base for life should have been done. They did all have to pay £10 towards the RAF which probably stung a bit.

Oh and I remember that woman who lived/lives(?) at Waddington, her name is Helen John, mad as a box of frogs!

DeltaPapa

Post by DeltaPapa »

I don't know what damage they actually did to the fence but I doubt very much you would get any contractor out to repair even minor damage for £100 + materials.

Personally I think the out come will encourage more actions of this type not deter it.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Thumper wrote:But in this country that kind of sentence isn't even given out to drink drivers who are far more of a nuisance than a bunch of nutters, therefore it's viewed as "the punishment doesn't fit the crime". I'm not saying it's right, just saying that's the way it is. Sometimes heavy sentences are handed out to "make a point" as a deterrent but I think most people would prefer a prison bed to go to a pedophile rather than some brain washed protestor.

I personally think that banning them all from being within 2 miles of the base for life should have been done. They did all have to pay £10 towards the RAF which probably stung a bit.

Oh and I remember that woman who lived/lives(?) at Waddington, her name is Helen John, mad as a box of frogs!

Make the punishment fit the crime - get them on FOD patrol after each of the next 5 airshows.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Some of you may want to read this......the sentencing guidelines for Criminal Damage , which is what the Judge { or Clerk Of The Court } go by :
http://sentencingcouncil.judiciary.gov.uk/docs/criminal-damage.pdf
{ And http://sentencingcouncil.judiciary.gov.uk/guidelines/guidelines-to-download.htm for other offence guidelines }

You may also want to check the CPS website for various sentencing guidelines ;
http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/s_to_u/sentencing_manual/
{ And if you look at the menu on the Left-hand side under "Legal Guidance" you'll find the legal definitions & requirements for somebody to be tried for such acts as burglary & "trespass / nuisance on land" }
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

JackyRIATWilson wrote:There is a woman at Waddington who, in her own words, "will refuse to leave the outskirts of Waddington until the drones leave Afghanistan." Nutter. :wall:Jack.

What, rather like those pesky women at Greenham Common over the cruise missiles? Their only achievement was to get the IAT transfered from Greenham Common where the sun was in your face, to Fairford where it's on your back. Much better! :up:
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

AlexC wrote:
JackyRIATWilson wrote:There is a woman at Waddington who, in her own words, "will refuse to leave the outskirts of Waddington until the drones leave Afghanistan." Nutter. :wall:Jack.

What, rather like those pesky women at Greenham Common over the cruise missiles? Their only achievement was to get the IAT transfered from Greenham Common where the sun was in your face, to Fairford where it's on your back. Much better! :up:
From what I remember what Paul Bowen said at the VHS about the show's Silver Jubilee, it were the missiles themselves that forced that move, not the ladies that wanted them to not be there, in which case the Tattoo could have been kept at Greenham.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

aviodromefriend wrote:
From what I remember what Paul Bowen said at the VHS about the show's Silver Jubilee, it were the missiles themselves that forced that move, not the ladies that wanted them to not be there, in which case the Tattoo could have been kept at Greenham.[/quote]

Oh well, whatever the reason, it was a good move!
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

XP282

Post by XP282 »

I know that to the layman a conditional discharge doesn't seem much, but in the eyes of todays legal system a conditional discharge is no let off.