Cold War, Hot Jets documentary - BBC2

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
aviodromefriend

Cold War, Hot Jets documentary - BBC2

Post by aviodromefriend »

http://www.vulcantothesky.org/smf/index.php/topic,6150.0.html wrote:Just recieved this....

Pleased to forward this from AVM Eric Macey, for your info:

Dear All

As some of you know, I was recently interviewed by the
BBC in respect of a proposed programme entitled “Jets in the Cold War”; and some
of you have asked to be informed when this was to be broadcast. I have
just received the following from Jeremy Hall, the Director of the
programme.

“After several months of waiting we
finally have a date for the BBC2 series on the role of the Jet during the Cold
War. It will start transmission on the 8th November at 9
pm (most likely but check the TV schedule for exact time). I am
contacting everyone who was involved in the filming but please do tell anyone
you think would be interested in watching.
Looking forward to UKAR's well known scrutinizing and hairsplitting of this one.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

Paul_Reflex

Re: Shameless copy/paste from Vulcan forum

Post by Paul_Reflex »

It's a James Holland documentary called Cold War, Hot Jets. An episode was screened at the Chalke Valley history festival and it went down very well.

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Re: Cold War, Hot Jets documentary - BBC2

Post by Thumper »

Excellent, I look forward to this, hoping for a nice piece on the Victor! :smile:

Reds Rolling

Post by Reds Rolling »

I'll be watching, sounds good. :up:

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Re: Shameless copy/paste from Vulcan forum

Post by Skyflash »

DanO1978 wrote:Hopefully it'll be of a similar quality to the "Jet! When Britain Ruled The Skies" programmes last year.

Indeed - those were both outstanding, particularly the first one on the military jets.
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

Apparently some of the JP footage was filmed at Classic Air Force in Newquay.

andrewman

Post by andrewman »

Just seen an advert on bbc2 saying a whole season of cold war programmes will be starting on there soon, hopefully there will be some decent stuff to enjoy over the winter.
2004 bathroom window photographer of the year

my facebook

https://twitter.com/Andrewsteer84 My Twitter

stratocaster

Post by stratocaster »

Good! Another storming programme to watch! :biggrin:
Card carrying aviation addict!

GhostFlight91

Post by GhostFlight91 »

OOO and on my birthday. BONUS :rock:
PLANEPLOTTER RTL1090 ADS-B DONGLE|REALISTIC PRO 26: 25-1300MHz|SONY ALPHA A200|COSINA AF 100-300mm|MINOLTA AF 35-105mm

Maisie

Post by Maisie »

20 mins!

Happy birthday too, Ghostflight ;)
6D | 7D | 60D
11-16 f/2.8 | 24-105 IS L | 70-300 IS USM | 50 f/1.4 | 100 f/2.8 | 400 f/5.6

tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Post by tankbuster81 »

found it very illuminating,and next week looks even better. certain folk will be happy, as im sure i saw a white Triangular Aircraft in the trailer..... :whistle:
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!

AndyXH558

Post by AndyXH558 »

yes indeed, at her birthplace.
Start every day with a smile!

Maisie

Post by Maisie »

DanO1978 wrote:Last 15 minutes much, much better. Didn't know about the "Jiujitsu" B-45 missions, nor RAF pilots flying U-2 missions...

Thought that was quite good too, the B-45 missions were interesting.
6D | 7D | 60D
11-16 f/2.8 | 24-105 IS L | 70-300 IS USM | 50 f/1.4 | 100 f/2.8 | 400 f/5.6

st24

Post by st24 »

DanO1978 wrote:Last 15 minutes much, much better. Didn't know about the "Jiujitsu" B-45 missions, nor RAF pilots flying U-2 missions...

Funnily enough I lost interest half way through following the always good to see vintage Farnboro' footage. The "RAF" B-45 missions are quite well documented and the subject of an excellent documentary.
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

maltwoser

Post by maltwoser »

Didn't know about ............... RAF pilots flying U-2 missions...

Interesting thread on PPrune about it:

http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/298943-coldwar-raf-u-2-pilots-6.html

MicrolightDriver

Post by MicrolightDriver »

I thought it was very well written and presented. Looking forward to next week's programme..

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

maltwoser wrote:
Didn't know about ............... RAF pilots flying U-2 missions...

Interesting thread on PPrune about it:

http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/298943-coldwar-raf-u-2-pilots-6.html

There was mention in the papers fairly recently when three secret AFC citations were revealed.

John

GhostFlight91

Post by GhostFlight91 »

Maisie wrote:20 mins!

Happy birthday too, Ghostflight ;)

Thanks Maisie :smile:
I found it very interesting myself a lot of information and footage in there I didn't no and havnt seen. could have thrown a lot more in of the JP flight though. See what next weeks brings looking forward to the Victor :rock:
PLANEPLOTTER RTL1090 ADS-B DONGLE|REALISTIC PRO 26: 25-1300MHz|SONY ALPHA A200|COSINA AF 100-300mm|MINOLTA AF 35-105mm

phreakf4

Post by phreakf4 »

Because I am now recovering from my long-awaited surgery and I currently spend much of my time sleeping, I missed this last night and watched it on BBC iPlayer tonight.

I mostly agree with DanO on this one.[humour](Gasp! Shock! Horror!)[/humour]. This (and many other "documentaries" recently) seemed to be almost as much about the "presenter" talking direct to camera as about the subject matter. Much of the footage is very much "old hat" and included the almost mandatory errors (which "Joe Public" wouldn't even notice, such as showing Lavochkin La-17s rather than MiG-15s).

It was nonetheless interesting and I shall certainly watch further episodes in the (probably vain) hope that the subject matter will receive greater emphasis than the presenter
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....

phreakf4

Post by phreakf4 »

DanO1978 wrote:There's only one more episode to come. It's a two-parter rather than a series.

Time will tell whether only one more episode is considered a shame or a relief....
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....

stratocaster

Post by stratocaster »

Well I certainly learned something new from the programme,I was unaware of the Jujistu flights too,and wasn't aware RAF pilots were doing the petrols dirty work! :shock: I'll definitely be watching this Friday. :biggrin:
Card carrying aviation addict!

Mad Dan

Post by Mad Dan »

Entertaining enough, I suppose - but found the wording of the RAF involvement in the U-2 programme misleading. The presenter seemed to imply that RAF pilots did most of the overflights of the USSR, which is not the case. They did two for sure, but I think that was it. Chris Pocock's series of books on the U-2 has already been mentioned I think, but should be required reading for anyone interested in this aircraft and the history of Operation Overflight.

As for the B-45 operation, that was staged out of Sculthorpe, which I don't believe was actually mentioned by the presenter - who I think limited himself to mentioning "a Norfolk base", though it might have been "an East Anglian base". But I don't recall him saying anything about the Canberra, which I am pretty sure performed some "interesting" missions in the late 1950s.
I am not a loony... I used to be, but I think I am better now...

Vodka

Post by Vodka »

Lavochkin La-17? I recorded the programme but don't recall seeing that in there?

. . and isn't a La-17 a target drone? Which has no passing resemblance to a Mig 15? Guess i'll have to have another look at the footage.

Personally I thought it was a very good little program. The shot of the JP was sublime slipping through the clouds, lovely stuff. The presenter I thought was good, a pleasant voice , easy to listen to and just that slight excitement in his voice to add to the filming. Its 9pm prime time on a Friday night for the paying public not a rivet counters delight and thank heavens for that!

If you want to watch a rivet counters film, write the idea on paper and get funding for it and see how far the eye brows get raised when you say your target audience is for :tumbleweed:

Roll on next week! :smile:

st24

Post by st24 »

Vodka wrote:Lavochkin La-17? I recorded the programme but don't recall seeing that in there?

. . and isn't a La-17 a target drone? Which has no passing resemblance to a Mig 15? Guess i'll have to have another look at the footage.

Personally I thought it was a very good little program. The shot of the JP was sublime slipping through the clouds, lovely stuff. The presenter I thought was good, a pleasant voice , easy to listen to and just that slight excitement in his voice to add to the filming. Its 9pm prime time on a Friday night for the paying public not a rivet counters delight and thank heavens for that!

If you want to watch a rivet counters film, write the idea on paper and get funding for it and see how far the eye brows get raised when you say your target audience is for :tumbleweed:

Roll on next week! :smile:

La-15 "Fantail" was in the programme. There were also a few random MiG17s in the footage too if I recall. As you say a good all round programme if a little "messy" - it seemed to duck and dive a bit from one subject to another with little fluidity.
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!