if Scotland vote 'yes'

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
effects

if Scotland vote 'yes'

Post by effects »

..is BA going to be renamed and the blue removed from the livery?
Nikon P900 (Sony DSC-HX400V, Sony DSC-HX300 and DSC-H2 retired)

DMH

Re: if Scotland vote 'yes'

Post by DMH »

Wouldn't need to be renamed but the colour scheme should, in theory, be changed.

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

They won't need to. There's as much chance of Scotland voting yes as there is of Mila Kunis knocking on my door starkers.

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

:wall: Its bad enough the amount of ball cocks coming from the press without threads like this! And how long is it since London Airways had the full rights to be called "British" Airways?
Arabest,
Geoff.
52 in a year! We must be certifiable!

Rule 27

Post by Rule 27 »

Geoff is right, they should really be called "London Airways" - although buying up bmi has forced them to have some more regional flights again I suppose!

It'll be interesting to see what the national airline of Scotland would be though. Loganair? They're owned by flyBE and BA, so can't be them :P

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

If Scotland do vote yes, the way we go on from there will be very interesting. But I don't expect any kind of impartial comments from either camp, before or after. I was reading the comments in response to the news about the mooted space port at Kinloss, as reported in the Aberdeen Herald I think it was. Some bitter and emotional character manage to dismiss it all as something the Government (UK that is) have no money for so its all nonsense anyway, then went on to say that they only have money to spend on nuclear weapons, HS2 and foreign aid! I really couldn't work out if this guy was to the left or the right of the political argument generally, to complain at money being spent on nukes and foreign aid is an odd mix for anyone with conviction politics. Perhaps because the UK Government endeavours to strike a balance, or perhap the knockers haven't got a clue just what it is they're getting all upset about? :confused:

FB :biggrin:
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

stratocaster

Post by stratocaster »

Space port at Kinloss? Surely that's a joke?!! I thought that's why we use the rest of the world as our lackeys to send our stuff into space!
Card carrying aviation addict!

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

Rule 27 wrote:Geoff is right, they should really be called "London Airways" - although buying up bmi has forced them to have some more regional flights again I suppose!

It'll be interesting to see what the national airline of Scotland would be though. Loganair? They're owned by flyBE and BA, so can't be them :P

Thanks for the support but Loganair has only had franchise agreements with Flybe and BA and was owned by Scott Grier who i believe was the airlines founder. In the last few years, Scott has stood down and his shares were bought by the Bond brothers who i think also bought bmi regional.

As to their right to be Scotlands national airline, their main commitments are to serving island routes under public obligation and due to their new owners history, lots of oil industry work.
Arabest,
Geoff.

toom317
UKAR Supporter

Post by toom317 »

The best "If Scotland vote yes", thread ever!-7. :sleepy:
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.

effects

Post by effects »

ArabJazzie wrote::wall: Its bad enough the amount of ball cocks coming from the press without threads like this! And how long is it since London Airways had the full rights to be called "British" Airways?
Arabest,
Geoff.

Someones not had their porridge this morning! :tongue:
I got thinking about this after hearing a prog on R4 about the BBC being impartial in the run up to the 'big' vote as they will have change their name as well
Nikon P900 (Sony DSC-HX400V, Sony DSC-HX300 and DSC-H2 retired)

Rampvan

Post by Rampvan »

Perhaps the bearded one will restart his original aviation venture and try a nick a few slots off BA :ninja:

http://www.planespotters.net/Aviation_P ... ?id=169415

Gonzo230

Post by Gonzo230 »

I always wonder why people go on about British Airways vs London Airways.

BA are a commercial company and can call themselves whatever they like. Terms like 'national carrier' and 'flag carrier' are outdated and no longer relevant.

Do you propose that Air France call themselves Paris Air? Or perhaps Icelandair should be renamed Kevflavik Airways? :wink:

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

Gonzo230 wrote:I always wonder why people go on about British Airways vs London Airways.

BA are a commercial company and can call themselves whatever they like. Terms like 'national carrier' and 'flag carrier' are outdated and no longer relevant.

Do you propose that Air France call themselves Paris Air? Or perhaps Icelandair should be renamed Kevflavik Airways? :wink:

Oh dear! :dummy:

Is Kev Flavik one of the owners of Icelandair, or a long serving pilot? :biggrin:

Yes BA are a commercial company, but you would think that a "British" Airline would have international routes from various airports throughout this land we call Great Britain! From the top of my head, Icelandair offer more international routes from Scotland than BA does!!! And seen as they are a commercial company, why should they effectively control access to North America for the whole country?
Arabest,
Geoff.

foxfour

Post by foxfour »

Maybe Air Ecosse could be restarted and become Scotland's national airline. :heyhey:

Gonzo230

Post by Gonzo230 »

ArabJazzie,

From the top of my head, Icelandair offer more international routes from Scotland than BA does!!!

Icelandair flies from Glasgow to its hub in Keflavik, as BA does to London. I could say that BA flies to more French destinations from LHR than Air France. Or to more US destiantions than American, or United, or Delta.

Yes BA are a commercial company, but you would think that a "British" Airline would have international routes from various airports throughout this land we call Great Britain!

Hang on. I've just found out that the British Museum is not spread around Britain, but it's in London. So too the British Library. I even hear there's an Imperial War Museum but that can't be true as we've not had an Empire for quite a while. :wink:

.....and seriously, they do have international routes, through the hubs at City, Gatwick and Heathrow. Just as Icelandair hubs you through KEF, just as Air France hubs you through De Gaulle, just as KLM hubs you through Schipol.

why should they effectively control access to North America for the whole country?

How on earth are BA 'controlling' access to North America? You mentioned Glasgow; I stand to be corrected, but I believe from GLA United fly to Newark, Thomas Cook and Thomson both fly to Orlando, one of them to Las Vegas (forget which), and Jet2 to Boston, not counting the seasonal routes.

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

Geography not a strong point then? GLA - KEF was an international route last time i looked! GLA - LHR is most definitely domestic!

Your example of the British Museum is a bit poor as if you really bothered to look into it, ok the museum itself doesnt have satellites around the UK, but has items on loan all over the country.

And how can a route be classed as international if you have to get of the bus and wait to bounce to the next location? Your bags might sail through the system if you are lucky, but you go through passport control at LHR to go international!

Arabest,
Geoff.

Gonzo230

Post by Gonzo230 »

Thanks, but I think my geography is fine. I didn't claim that Glasgow - London was an international route.

I was trying to explain how modern air travel works.

Your complaint, I think, is that BA don't fly internationally direct from non-London airports. It's all down to cost. Icelandair can afford to do it because they are based at one end of the flight, and they hub passengers through KEF. It's the same reason why the Middle East carriers are doing so well against BA, QANTAS, Air New Zealand etc on the Europe - Australia/NZ routes. Their main bases are always at one end or the other of each flight. Basic economics. Even the oft quoted example to the contrary of Germany is no longer applicable, given that the almost unique dispersed economy is no longer mitigating against Lufthansa withdrawing all ops back to their main hubs of Frankfurt, Munich and Berlin, they are transferring all other flights to Germanwings. They cannot afford to run bases at Cologne, Dusseldorf etc.

Complaining about the name of a commercial company is just a bit silly, hence my examples. :whistle: