Ethiopian 787 repair

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
parsley
UKAR Supporter

Ethiopian 787 repair

Post by parsley »

An interesting article about the Ethiopian 787 at Heathrow and it's planned repair

http://seattletimes.com/html/businesste ... irxml.html

I've absolutely no doubt it will be a thoroughly tested and safety proven job but I still feel something nagging inside regarding composites

Rule 27

Re: Ethiopian 787 repair

Post by Rule 27 »

Has already been completed, tail is now back on the fuselage (was removed whilst the work was carried out)

phreakf4

Post by phreakf4 »

parsley wrote:An interesting article about the Ethiopian 787 at Heathrow and it's planned repair

http://seattletimes.com/html/businesste ... irxml.html

I've absolutely no doubt it will be a thoroughly tested and safety proven job but I still feel something nagging inside regarding composites

Perhaps worth noting that a well-respected aircraft designer (can't remember which one) once said "If we had known in the 1920s/1930s what we now know about metal fatigue, no-one would ever have been allowed to make an aircraft from aluminium".....
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....

psquiddy

Post by psquiddy »

I am sure that they will fix it well and monitor stresses and strains closely - but - would you want to fly on it?

“One issue with adhesive bonding is you can inspect the bond with ultrasonic inspection and find no gaps or voids, but nevertheless the strength of the bond is lower than anticipated,”
Over 300 free things to do in London
http://www.toplondondaysout.co.uk

hunterxf382

Post by hunterxf382 »

I have an uncomfortable feeling about this 'repair' story to be honest.... I worked with metal repairs in the RAF - before all this composite technology was common place - I can place my trust in a metal to metal repair which followed a well-tested procedure; but patching in like this with uncertainty on something of this size..........hmmmmmmmmm :cuppa:
Pete Buckingham
Volunteer in Aviation
Former RAF Engineer
http://hunterxf382.weebly.com/

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

There's some in the industry that have concerns about smoke toxicity being quite high when these things burn. Still, it's not like they catch fire much is it...

Seahornet

Post by Seahornet »

psquiddy wrote:I am sure that they will fix it well and monitor stresses and strains closely - but - would you want to fly on it?

“One issue with adhesive bonding is you can inspect the bond with ultrasonic inspection and find no gaps or voids, but nevertheless the strength of the bond is lower than anticipated,”

Would I fly on it once the airframe is returned to service? Well, yes.

This will be without doubt the most comprehesively and meticulously designed, planned, prototyped, excecuted, tested, and certified aircraft repair in history. Too much hangs on its success for it not to be.

All the individual elements for the repair (manufacture of the sections, panels, laps etc., the bonding materials & procedures, witness testing & design assurance processes etc.) have all been done before, and are well-established. Boeing's current challenge is simply (!) to bring it all together on a wide-body fuselage scale.

I'm not saying that aircraft repairs will never be done incorrectly (as a good many air-crash investigations have shown!) but this is certainly the example where it's least likely to happen.

As for the specific issue mentioned (void-free but low-strength adhesive bond), that is where assurance techniques including witness sample testing and multiplex temperature monitoring come in. The issues are known, and mitigation techniques are well-established.
And as the smart ship grew,
In stature, grace and hue,
In shadowy silent distance grew the iceberg too....