Kings Cup Air Race 2014

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
JPZONE

Kings Cup Air Race 2014

Post by JPZONE »

Does anyone know where the Kings Cup Air Race is for this year?

bogopper

Re: Kings Cup Air Race 2014

Post by bogopper »

Possibly August 16-17 at Shobdon, however this is unlikely to be set until after the AGM in February

Mark T

Mike

Post by Mike »

Same weekend as Red Bull at Ascot, Sywell and Woburn? Great planning!

JPZONE

Post by JPZONE »

Ah OK thank you. Lets hope it isn't on those days then. I've never been to the Kings Cup.
Is there a website so I can look up any update?

bogopper

Post by bogopper »

Northdownaeros

Post by Northdownaeros »

Same weekend as Red Bull at Ascot, Sywell and Woburn? Great planning!

I don't think the Royal Aero Club Racing mob do it for the spectators benefit….I 'watched' a race last year (Well, I happened to be at the airfield anyway) and the most exciting bit was watching a crew posing in their matching flying suits, complete with 4 bar epaulettes. :lmao:
Kodak Instamatic
Binos
An anorak
Notebook & pencil

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

I went to the Kings Cup several years back, at Shobdon. I must admit, the takeoffs weren't exactly exciting, but it got a lot better towards the end.
As the race is a handicap, you could have a slow ultralight take off and be around 4 laps before the fastest competitor leaves, the idea being all of the aircraft arrive at the finish at the same time. The final dive for the line is certainly an event in itself with 15-20+ crossing the line within about 10 seconds.

usually a good day out, a nice club atmosphere, well at Shobdon anyway.

Dan
JetAge Museum volunteer
Can be usually be found at Gloucester or Halfpenny Green.
twitter @danno978

Disaster Area

Post by Disaster Area »

New venue added (Popham 5-6th July) but Compton Abbas loses out!!

bogopper

Post by bogopper »

Northdownaeros wrote:I don't think the Royal Aero Club Racing mob do it for the spectators benefit….I 'watched' a race last year (Well, I happened to be at the airfield anyway) and the most exciting bit was watching a crew posing in their matching flying suits, complete with 4 bar epaulettes. :lmao:

We try to cater to the spectators but it is difficult. Most races there is a commentator and people around to describe what is happening.
I have argued for a shorter course and a few more laps so that it can be seen from the airfield, this just causes noise complaints!

All that said, it really is for the race crews... I enjoy it anyhow

Northdownaeros wrote:I 'watched' a race last year (Well, I happened to be at the airfield anyway) and the most exciting bit was watching a crew posing in their matching flying suits, complete with 4 bar epaulettes. :lmao:

I get to laugh at this every race weekend... :lol:

Mark T
-- Race 61

bogopper

Post by bogopper »

bigdan wrote:I went to the Kings Cup several years back, at Shobdon. I must admit, the takeoffs weren't exactly exciting, but it got a lot better towards the end.
As the race is a handicap, you could have a slow ultralight take off and be around 4 laps before the fastest competitor leaves, the idea being all of the aircraft arrive at the finish at the same time. The final dive for the line is certainly an event in itself with 15-20+ crossing the line within about 10 seconds.

usually a good day out, a nice club atmosphere, well at Shobdon anyway.

Dan

All race aircraft must be able to do 100mph or higher, which typically excludes ultralights. Also, this requires full throttle for the duration of the race and many engines (Rotax especially) cannot be run at 100% for more than 5 minutes... so they have lost before they start.

Having one of the faster aircraft ( :rock: ) it was quite disconcerting having to wait and watch others overtake before we had even taken off. I quite enjoy it now though because even if I don't do well I at least get to overtake someone!

Popham should be interesting given the layout of the airfield and its surrounding trees!

Mark T
-- Race 61

Disaster Area

Post by Disaster Area »

If you need a back-up navigator for the Popham race let me know Mark!! :grin: :grin: :grin: