Tristar Retirement?

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Seahornet

Tristar Retirement?

Post by Seahornet »

Tristar Ascot 891 (believed to be ZD952) was circuit bashing at Brize yesterday morning, then departed for Kemble. As far as I know it never returned, and I think I heard mention (on the ops freq) of return transport arrangements for the crew. Was this a retirement flight, or is there another explanation? :question:
And as the smart ship grew,
In stature, grace and hue,
In shadowy silent distance grew the iceberg too....

hunterxf382

Re: Tristar Retirement?

Post by hunterxf382 »

According to resident company ASI on their facebook page - it was a one way flight into storage there - however I have no idea what the long-term future is for this other aircraft in the RAF fleet...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Air-Salvage-International/542208509140380
Pete Buckingham
Volunteer in Aviation
Former RAF Engineer
http://hunterxf382.weebly.com/

Rampvan

Post by Rampvan »

Thats the second time Ive heard the word "storage" in relation to this TriStar, its a strange term for aircraft bound for Kemble, so is there an underlying reason that the term is being used......storage for a future museum exhibit, storage to cover late A330 deliveries, storage for some other reason ??? BA historic flight maybe... :biggrin:

Rule 27

Post by Rule 27 »

Storage because ASI have still got a few aircraft to scrap before they get to this one is more likely.

Seahornet

Post by Seahornet »

Is this the first RAF Tristar to go, then?

Mike

Post by Mike »

Two have been parked up at Cambridge for quite some time. The aborted glass cockpit prototype has been out of regular RAF service for a few years now.

hunterxf382

Post by hunterxf382 »

Rampvan wrote:Thats the second time Ive heard the word "storage" in relation to this TriStar, its a strange term for aircraft bound for Kemble, so is there an underlying reason that the term is being used......storage for a future museum exhibit, storage to cover late A330 deliveries, storage for some other reason ??? BA historic flight maybe... :biggrin:

The term storage applied to Kemble and ASI is quite suitable - not every aircraft that arrives ends it's days there! Some are stored for onward sale to new customers, others are recycled as they have reached their end-of-life.
Pete Buckingham
Volunteer in Aviation
Former RAF Engineer
http://hunterxf382.weebly.com/

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

Have a look here, http://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/v ... 44&t=91769

Looks like they have already started to Scrap it,

NIDarby

Post by NIDarby »

I was down at Brize yesterday and snapped ZD952 on quite a few circuits. I too heard it call for Kemble and it overflew Brize for a final pass at 13.24.

Neil
Finals 29

Craig

Post by Craig »

If so I'm surprised. I'd have thought the transports would go before the tankers? The Tristar is covering the MPA det, so there's one permanently "Down South", if this one has been canned there's not much slack!

Russ

Post by Russ »

The OSD was April 2014, so it doesn't surprise me that two months before the wind-down has begun, as that's a common occurrence. Whether it's logical is another matter entirely.

Traveller

Post by Traveller »

What on earth is one doing circuits for 6 weeks before they get axed. Can't see any of them ever leaving Kemble etc. No cargo airlines would ever take them on.

Mike

Post by Mike »

Traveller wrote:What on earth is one doing circuits for 6 weeks before they get axed.

Crew currency requirements don't simply go away just because the type has only got a couple of months left in service.

HDU-basket

Post by HDU-basket »

Seahornet wrote:Tristar Ascot 891 (believed to be ZD952) was circuit bashing at Brize yesterday morning, then departed for Kemble. As far as I know it never returned, and I think I heard mention (on the ops freq) of return transport arrangements for the crew. Was this a retirement flight, or is there another explanation? :question:

ZD952 is as you rightly say in storage at Kemble for the time being. There is a pretty good chance that it will be scrapped for spares for the remaiing aircraft as it looks like there is in fact a buyer. ZD949 and ZE706 are at Marshalls and have been ravaged for spares and will almost certainly never rotate again. The simulator has been looked at by the same company. Contrary to popular belief they have quite low hours and are in good repair for their age. There may still be life in the old girl yet.

harkins

Post by harkins »

Is it worth a drive from Manchester to Brize Norton in the next six weeks if I ever want to see one airborne again? Is there a good chance I'll see them active on almost any day? I'm terrified of making the long journey to any RAF base and seeing nothing move but a windsock. It does sound like the Tristar will fade away with even less fanfare than the VC-10. All gone before airshow season?

Rampvan

Post by Rampvan »

HDU-basket wrote:
Seahornet wrote:Tristar Ascot 891 (believed to be ZD952) was circuit bashing at Brize yesterday morning, then departed for Kemble. As far as I know it never returned, and I think I heard mention (on the ops freq) of return transport arrangements for the crew. Was this a retirement flight, or is there another explanation? :question:

ZD952 is as you rightly say in storage at Kemble for the time being. There is a pretty good chance that it will be scrapped for spares for the remaiing aircraft as it looks like there is in fact a buyer. ZD949 and ZE706 are at Marshalls and have been ravaged for spares and will almost certainly never rotate again. The simulator has been looked at by the same company. Contrary to popular belief they have quite low hours and are in good repair for their age. There may still be life in the old girl yet.

Is that "wont be scrapped" ?? and if not, any ideas on the geographical position of said possible Buyer ?

Seahornet

Post by Seahornet »

harkins wrote:...I'm terrified of making the long journey to any RAF base and seeing nothing move but a windsock...

That goes with the territory, I'm afraid. You have to speculate to accumulate, so if you want to catch the occasional 'great day's spotting', then you have to cope with a few wash-outs along the way. There are a few things you can do to maximise your chances, though:

Keep an eye on all the aircraft forums, especially 'heads up' sections. There were two or three occasions last year when specific VC-10 flights were 'advertised' in advance; we can at least hope for the same with the Tristar.

I'd generally favour Monday - Thursday for speculative trips. Flying can often wind-down early on a Friday, and weekends are much quieter, even at Brize.

Plan for as long a day as possible. The down side is that a 10-hour washout sat at the end of a runway is even more frustrating than a 2-hour one, but at least you are minimising the chances of it happening, and without any further expenditure in fuel.

Also, make sure you are fully prepared and equipped. You're much more likely to throw in the towel and head home early if you forgot to pack your warmest coat, or if you've run out of food and hot drinks. I always take a good book too!

Research the best viewing points around the base (plenty of advice on this and other forums). Not only will this give you better views, but sampling several viewpoints will break up a long day.

It's very rare that anyone can reliably predict a 'busy day', but to be fair, it's pretty rare for Brize to have a totally 'dead-day' either.

Good luck! :smile:

Craig

Post by Craig »

Seahornet wrote:
harkins wrote:...I'm terrified of making the long journey to any RAF base and seeing nothing move but a windsock...

That goes with the territory, I'm afraid. You have to speculate to accumulate, so if you want to catch the occasional 'great day's spotting', then you have to cope with a few wash-outs along the way. There are a few things you can do to maximise your chances, though:

Keep an eye on all the aircraft forums, especially 'heads up' sections. There were two or three occasions last year when specific VC-10 flights were 'advertised' in advance; we can at least hope for the same with the Tristar.

I'd generally favour Monday - Thursday for speculative trips. Flying can often wind-down early on a Friday, and weekends are much quieter, even at Brize.

Plan for as long a day as possible. The down side is that a 10-hour washout sat at the end of a runway is even more frustrating than a 2-hour one, but at least you are minimising the chances of it happening, and without any further expenditure in fuel.

Also, make sure you are fully prepared and equipped. You're much more likely to throw in the towel and head home early if you forgot to pack your warmest coat, or if you've run out of food and hot drinks. I always take a good book too!

Research the best viewing points around the base (plenty of advice on this and other forums). Not only will this give you better views, but sampling several viewpoints will break up a long day.

It's very rare that anyone can reliably predict a 'busy day', but to be fair, it's pretty rare for Brize to have a totally 'dead-day' either.

Good luck! :smile:

I'd echo that. As for Brize specifically, I'd rate it as nearly unprecedented to have a day with nothing, it's an extremely busy base. You may not get a Tristar but you should get something at least.

Flour Power

Post by Flour Power »

harkins wrote:Is it worth a drive from Manchester to Brize Norton in the next six weeks if I ever want to see one airborne again? Is there a good chance I'll see them active on almost any day? I'm terrified of making the long journey to any RAF base and seeing nothing move but a windsock. It does sound like the Tristar will fade away with even less fanfare than the VC-10. All gone before airshow season?

Last August/September I drove nearly 3000 miles in 5 journeys to catch the VC10s before retirement. I don't regret a single minute of the 18+ hour days. Most journeys were rewarded but nothing is ever guaranteed.

The truth is; if you're not there, you aren't going to catch them.

Based on my experience, I'd agree that Monday to Thursday would be the best bet.
Unleashing the awesome power of flour!

My Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/flour_power_99/

harkins

Post by harkins »

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll just keep my eye on the weather forecasts and on here and pick a Monday to Thursday and cross my fingers.

It's such a shame that there seems to be no hint or suggestion of any retirements scheme or markings.

Craig

Post by Craig »

harkins wrote:Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll just keep my eye on the weather forecasts and on here and pick a Monday to Thursday and cross my fingers.

It's such a shame that there seems to be no hint or suggestion of any retirements scheme or markings.

I think the markings on ZD951 are it...

Comet102

Post by Comet102 »

Just saw this posted on the RAF website.

The Retirement of TriStar Begins

For 30 years the Lockheed L-1011 TriStar has played a pivotal role within the RAF. Bought after the Falklands War to bolster the RAF’s capability, the TriStar became a familiar sight. Now, the retirement of the TriStar, from RAF Service, has begun with delivery of ZD952 to the Cotswold Airport, Kemble, for disposal.

The Officer Commanding No. 216 Squadron, Wing Commander Peter Morgan said, “It is extremely sad to see a piece of RAF heritage begin to disappear”.

From http://www.raf.mod.uk/RAFbrizenorton/newsweather/index.cfm?storyid=7CC82768-5056-A318-A8739F15010094A6&rss=true

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

There is a special scheme, there has been a retirement event (back in September) and there are plans for a UK tour closer to the OSD. Hardly a 'shuffle out of service'? :roll:

Comet102

Post by Comet102 »

Also when it was first reported regarding the aircraft to Kemble it was originally said to be for "storage" but now it says "Disposal".

Rick

Post by Rick »

Rampvan wrote:
HDU-basket wrote:

Is that "wont be scrapped" ?? and if not, any ideas on the geographical position of said possible Buyer ?

The chat on pprune is that Omega are interested in the Tristars, or some of them.
Slackers of the World unite !
Tomorrow.