Waddo and RIAT compared

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
boff180
UKAR Staff

Waddo and RIAT compared

Post by boff180 »

Evening all,

With all the talk of this show has a better lineup than the other, and others either wanting the same acts at each show or more unique acts at each show.

I thought a quick comparison of Waddo and RIAT (based on lists on official website and flightline only) of confirmed flying acts may help the discussion.

At Both Shows
Red Arrows
Falcons
Tutor
RAF Typhoon
BBMF Lanc
BBMF Spitfire
BBMF Hurricane
BBMF Dakota
Tucano
Chinook
AAC Apache
AAC Lynx
Jordanian Falcons
Swiss F-18C Hornet
Solo Turk
RN Merlin

At Waddo but not RIAT
RAF Sea King
Black Cats duo
Notts Air Ambulance
Canberra PR9
The Blades
Sally B
Gnat Display Team
Hunter T7
Bronco
Dutch Hunter
Slovakian L39
Patrulla Aspa
Viggen
Draken
Vulcan

At RIAT but not Waddo
Austrian Saab 105
Breitling Jet Team
Breitling Wing Walkers
Swiss Hunter
Patrouille de France
Italian AMX
Italian Eurofighter
Italian C-27J
Italian Tornado
Frecce Tricolori
Dutch F-16
Patrouillle Suisse
Swiss Puma
F-35B Lightning II
F/A-18F Super Hornet
Belgian F-16
Swedish Gripen

To me, the RIAT flying display wins hands down, now who disagrees? Lol

Andy

tommo999

Re: Waddo and RIAT compared

Post by tommo999 »

Didn't think the Vulcan was booked at RIAT?

RIAT wins for me too overall, although Waddo wins on the classic jet front. Combine RIAT's participation list with Waddo's classic jets and you have a real winner!

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

:oops: ta, on the iPad, missed that one!

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

The Swedish Gripen hasn't been confirmed for RIAT either.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

As my post says, the list is based on the official sites and Flightline.

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

boff180 wrote:As my post says, the list is based on the official sites and Flightline.

I see. But the Gripen isn't on the official site?

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

It is on Flightline though and the display pilot has stated on twitter he is displaying at RIAT.

chrisward123

Post by chrisward123 »

RIAT hands down but then you look at the price of a ticket for both shows and there is a big difference:

Waddo: £24
RIAT: £39

I am going to both but I would hate to be someone who can only attend one as they both have their own USP.

This is what RIAT Update said about the Swede Gripen on 10/04:
"We are aware of the tweet made by the Swedish Air Force 'Gripen Solo Display' stating 'Anyone else heading for RIAT Airshow? I am.' Well, all we can say at this stage is that he won't be if he doesn't secure his admission ticket in advance! :0)"
Last edited by chrisward123 on Tue 06 May 2014, 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2021 - Hopefully RIAT!

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

boff180 wrote:It is on Flightline though and the display pilot has stated on twitter he is displaying at RIAT.

Indeed. I too have read that message.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Well they both have their plus points, but there's more on the Waddo list that immediately jumps out at me tbh.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

sithrity

Post by sithrity »

As it stands RIAT wins at the moment. Hopefully there is a few more flying acts to be added. Just to keep Thursday lunch breaks interesting if nothing else.

Simon
I don't know everything there is to know about our hobby.

Kids, aviation, missus then responsibilities, (in that order)

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

If not for the Draken and Viggen, you could argue Cosford has a more interesting line-up than Waddington.

Not forgetting the enthusiast item for Cosford is yet to be announced...

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

The Waddo not RIAT list has some items on it that don't do it to me, the RIAT not Waddo though...
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

strangelookingalien

Post by strangelookingalien »

I guess it's a case of different strokes for different folks but I can't believe anyone could prefer the RIAT list at this stage!

Viggen, Vulcan, Draken and Canberra!

Amazing!

I'll be at both regardless though. :smile:

Russ

Post by Russ »

Each to their own. Both excellent shows, credit to both sets of organisers. I have to say RIAT wins out of the two. However Waddington have really upped their game in the last few years.

I intend on being at both.

:cool:

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Waddo has definitely got the most collective charisma in the aircraft attending, but then RIAT's list of modern military hardware and international debutant by way of F-35 is mightily impressive.

I'd say that, for me, RIAT nudges it.

Looking at the lists of what each has that is different from the other, Waddo has 9 acts that are/could appear elsewhere in the UK that aren't appearing at RIAT. By contrast, RIAT has just 3 (possibly 4) acts that are due to appear elsewhere in the UK that aren't appearing at Waddo.

At the end of the day, looking at those lists, you can't really do much but applaud both shows for securing such a smorgasbord of acts from all over the place. :clap:

sylvancatharsis

Post by sylvancatharsis »

Something has got to be said for the fact that RIAT has the Italian A-11/AMX display, the type's only appearance outside Italy this year. And if I'm not mistaken, it hasn't left its home country for a flying display in something like three years.

So, while Drakens and Vulcans and Viggens and Canberras are superb, they do get about a bit more than the Centaur, which I'd not expect to see displaying much longer.
I like my food the way I like my friends:
Genetically Modified.

Abingdonman

Post by Abingdonman »

I'd go for Waddington!....but wish it had the F35 as well! :wink:
I'm not bothered too much about whats in static,its the flying I really go for,for me the Viggen & Vulcan(if absent) will be missed at RIAT!

Ledhead27
UKAR Staff

Post by Ledhead27 »

For me both shows are good, I think it's good the two shows have varied line ups, particularly because I'm attending both shows. I don't mind some overlap in the eventuality of inclement weather at one show, but both are as good as each other.
"FuelMan, SpamCan, NoPlan, CivviMan, DroneMan Dan"

UKAR Party Plane Captain

4 out of 5 baguettes

Dwadwood

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Both shows have an absolutely fantastic lineup, but which is better is really, and only, down to one's personal taste - do you like noisy classic jets, or prefer cutting-edge military technology? The lineups as they stand are a bit apples and oranges, it's difficult to compare them as they offer significantly different menus. I'm finding it hard to choose one right now, but, despite the Viggen and Draken, I'd have to go with RIAT simply for the great selection of modern military hardware.

However, regardless of which you prefer, anyone lucky enough to go to both this summer is in for what must surely rate as one of the best airshow seasons. It seems that RIAT has gone in some interesting directions (eg. XH558) and if they pay off it'll be outstanding. Frankly both shows are incredible even two months before they start, and the argument as to which is "better" is academic, for my money.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

Both have excellent line ups, in fact probably the best line ups I have seen for several years now. I'd personally go with Waddington as I love the classic jets. It's a shame Waddington didn't get the F/86A Sabre as that would have really made it especially if hooked up with the Canberra!

tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Post by tankbuster81 »

RIAT for me, as looking forward to the F35,and just love the actual place. The vulcan won't be missed i doubt,based on last years display somewhere over wales! Far more to whet the appetite this year ,and I'm still hopeful the gorgeous Canberra will make the short trip to Fairford.
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!

harkins

Post by harkins »

Both good line-ups already. I'm of the opinion that having differences in participation is good- but then I'm lucky that I should be able to attend both events. If I really had to pick which is best though, I'd plump for RIAT. And my reasoning for this is similar to a point touched upon in another thread on here. The Viggen and Draken will likely be around for a little while yet and hopefully the Canberra too. Maybe even the Vulcan. But, unless I've misunderstood the situation, the Tornado in a flying display in UK skies must surely be all but a piece of history after this year. So, the Tornado display and the A-7's final visit just edge it for me.

Both shows are crying out for something big though. Really hoping we might get a display or at least a flypast from something along the lines of a Sentry, C-17, A-400 or a P-8 at the shows.

pb643

Post by pb643 »

tankbuster81 wrote:RIAT for me, as looking forward to the F35,and just love the actual place. The vulcan won't be missed i doubt,based on last years display somewhere over wales! Far more to whet the appetite this year ,and I'm still hopeful the gorgeous Canberra will make the short trip to Fairford.

What do you think the chances are of Waddington gazzumping RIAT and debuting the F35? I would have thought it would be the prefered venue as far as the British government were concerned.

Adie1980

Post by Adie1980 »

pb643 wrote:
tankbuster81 wrote:RIAT for me, as looking forward to the F35,and just love the actual place. The vulcan won't be missed i doubt,based on last years display somewhere over wales! Far more to whet the appetite this year ,and I'm still hopeful the gorgeous Canberra will make the short trip to Fairford.

What do you think the chances are of Waddington gazzumping RIAT and debuting the F35? I would have thought it would be the prefered venue as far as the British government were concerned.

About 0% :facepalm:
Attending Daks over Normandy (Duxford), Yeovilton Air Day 2019, RIAT 2019 & Bournemouth Air Festival 2019