The naughty field debate...a new twist

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Beefy

Re: The naughty field debate...a new twist

Post by Beefy »

Jmorgan wrote:
You are deliberately blaming the pilot for flying low on his approach to land at an airfield, indeed calling it poor airmanship!

No, thats not what I said, I'll try again for you, as you are a Mil ATCO, I'm a civil one at an airfield, I think you're trumped.

The approach did not need to be that low. The danger was clear, and therefore it was poor airmanship. The pilot had plenty of option, including going around. In fact I am blaming both, but you clearly can't understand that side of it, maybe thats why your licenses can't be transferred to Civil in the UK.

From the replies in this thread it just shows the attitude of modern society "I'm going to do what I want to do and no-one is going to stop me". Instead of wasting Police resources and time stopping people from going to such places, just erect legal notices along the lines of "If you are stupid enough to stand here and you are involved in an incident with an aircraft then you, your family and any one related to you can make no claim against any incident, you will receive no compensation as you were stupid enough to stand there in the first place"

Lets stop being a Nanny state and protecting these moronic individuals, take away their legal rights so their relations get no compensation (after all isn't that the way these days... "you can claim for that" :sleepy: ), it would help reduce our increasing population and would also help to cleanse the gene pool :biggrin:

By the way, why is that guy in the orange shirt waving at the aircraft, is he expecting to see the pilot wave back from that angle!! :wall:

Vodka

Post by Vodka »

""he was a bit close weren't he""
. . . . . no you were a just £$$^$$$% stupid.

some people really do need a test to see if there's some brain matter functioning :wall:

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

I knew it wouldn't take long for the Daily Mail to get it's teeth stuck in!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2683047/F16-fighter-jet-lands-dangerously-close-plane-spotters-display-RAF-Waddington-Airshow.html

I agree with 1 of the comments, the headline should read "people stand dangerously close to landing fighter jet".

LennyL

Post by LennyL »

It wouldn't be allowed in my rock pool, I can tell you...
Lobster by name, Lobster by nature...

Epic Formacion

Post by Epic Formacion »

1. Air traffickers trying to out trump each other, sweet!
2. Turkish driver seems to have been naughty twice this weekend, naughty boy.
3. People with the option to move out of the way but didn't, awfully nice people(maybe?) but definitely dim.

canard67

Post by canard67 »

If he had decided to go round just before the road and gone to full power with burner that would have been interesting.

Vodka

Post by Vodka »

. . . and when people suggest the pilot would have seen them under the flight path. . . 13-15 AOA . . 10 foot of nose in front of you, turns into approach perhaps 1 mile out minimums ? flat lighting at 140knt plus 20 prior to turn in

As mentioned if he had to of spooled up into Afterburner for any reason!

Yet these people will still tell you 'they have every right to stand there.' What makes my blood boil are these utter $£%!%!£ who not only put themselves in a stupid place but also their children!!!! I suspect russian roulette wouldn't be good enough for them without putting the other five back in !

sjt

Post by sjt »

It's addictive, and neither I nor them will stop going until its properly policed.

Maybe if all the people outside had paid to go inside the organisers might have been able to afford more police to properly police it?!
BARNEY ARMY! BARNEY ARMY!

Keep Britain Farming

Screechy

Post by Screechy »

sjt wrote:
It's addictive, and neither I nor them will stop going until its properly policed.

Maybe if all the people outside had paid to go inside the organisers might have been able to afford more police to properly police it?!

FACT It happened on Saturday

FACT Saturday was sold out

But don't let that get in the way of a good moan eh

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Screechy wrote:
sjt wrote:

Not quite a sell out, tickets still being sold on the day
Did you hear about the dyslexic pimp? He bought a ware house!
Proud member of the Silverstone Marshalling Team

Screechy

Post by Screechy »

rdchawk wrote:
Screechy wrote:
sjt wrote:

Fair enough but they did put out messages saying that it had sold out.

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Screechy wrote:
rdchawk wrote:
Screechy wrote:
sjt wrote:

Fair enough but they did put out messages saying that it had sold out.

Indeed they did - But there were some still being sold both Saturday and Sunday.
Did you hear about the dyslexic pimp? He bought a ware house!
Proud member of the Silverstone Marshalling Team

cw318is

Post by cw318is »

If only there was one of these on the circuit.........

DamienB wrote:Airshows aren't just about sunlit topsides chaps.

sjt

Post by sjt »

FACT I didn't go to Waddington this year

FACT I didn't know what it was, could have been arrivals or practice for all I know.

FACT I didn't know it was sold out.

FACT I wasn't having a moan was just pointing out a FACT!! Lol

oh and FACT don't bloody shout at me or get all high and mighty as it makes you come across as a bit of a silly person!
BARNEY ARMY! BARNEY ARMY!

Keep Britain Farming

Screechy

Post by Screechy »

sjt wrote:

FACT I didn't go to Waddington this year

FACT I didn't know what it was, could have been arrivals or practice for all I know.

FACT I didn't know it was sold out.

FACT I wasn't having a moan was just pointing out a FACT!! Lol

oh and FACT don't bloody shout at me or get all high and mighty as it makes you come across as a bit of a silly person!

FACT i'm not really that silly but I have my moments :grin:

There are a certain type of person that hangs about right under the flightpath at Waddo, they are never going to pay to go in. I did notice that on Sunday the police had cleared the fence line at this point, happily letting people stay the other side of the road but no longer against the fence on their bikes or ladders, maybe in reaction to the F16 landing, not sure.

st24

Post by st24 »

Screechy wrote:I did notice that on Sunday the police had cleared the fence line at this point, happily letting people stay the other side of the road but no longer against the fence on their bikes or ladders, maybe in reaction to the F16 landing, not sure.

This is the barmy thing, I was asked to cross the road around the approach to the other side as "someone had their head shaved by an F-16 yeasterday". What a waste of time, policing the bit by the red/white markers but still letting the "special" people on the lights to stay there?!?!
And as for the comment about about freeloaders being able to contribute to better policing jeez- how many more do you need. Most of Lincolnshire's finest were out on the roads yesterday, 4 cars parked together in the layby plus others just tootling around, at least 5 different bikes up and down, doing pretty much nothing to be honest. Incredible waste of resources.

Comments like these...

Georgeconna wrote:Great vid, Love the lad with the walking stick waving it about and the chap waving, Ah the fun of the fair, Gonna go to this spot next year unless the fun police cordon it off, They love doing that around shows nowadays, This Adds a bit of spice to the otherwise far away flying :up:

Traveller wrote:Ah I see the keyboard h&s worrying police are out again. What a rush being that close to landing jet, get in there. Check out the old guy with the walking stick waving it!!! That must have been 15ft minimum, well safe. No need to worry about it happening again, last Waddington................

It does show poor airmanship though on behalf of the pilot. He need not have been that low on the approach.
This particular game of chicken took 2 sides to tango

...really sum up the low level of understanding and general lack of common sense amongst some ukarians..
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Post by tankbuster81 »

Oh dear it seems the Handbags are out in force :handbag: Could have/should have/would have etc etc .If my auntie had Balls,she'd be my Uncle! No-one was hurt,thats the main thing. I'm looking forward to his display at Fairford. Now wheres my tin hat!? :cool:
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!

Traveller

Post by Traveller »

Shock horror - people stood on public road outside airfield boundary. I honestly cannot think of one dangerous thing about any of this. Sure engine failure in the last few seconds would wipe em out, so what? That's the chance. And such a tiny one it is to then it's worth taking. Its all abarrt the barzz innit, the barzz!!!

sithrity

Post by sithrity »

Traveller wrote: Its all abarrt the barzz innit, the barzz!!!

:lol:
I don't know everything there is to know about our hobby.

Kids, aviation, missus then responsibilities, (in that order)

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

Not sure why the fast jet pilots see the need to try and get down as close to the Eastern end of the runway when said runway is the best part of 2800m long. So you can only make the assumption they are deliberately trying to approach as low as possible, miss the fence by as little as possible and land as close as possible to the A15 end of the runway - all of which is exciting but irresponsible airmanship IMHO. Yes the people standing there are possibly taking a bit of a risk but if you were to get the Police to move them where would you draw the line? - close the naughty field at Duxford?; close the campsites at Fairford? make all the people who live in Welford move out of their houses for the week? Is it any surprise that people choose to stand in these places when the flight line has been moved so far away from the crowd line that you need to watch the display through binoculars?

The H&S nanny state types might have been well intentioned with their constant tightening of airshow regulations has ironically encouraged people to 'go outside' putting them in a totally unregulated area and much more at risk

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

sohvimus wrote:
Georgeconna wrote:Gonna go to this spot next year unless the fun police cordon it off, They love doing that around shows nowadays

Considering that there's not going to be an air show at Waddington next year, you are most welcome to go there and look at the people re-doing the runway.

Phew close call!!,Ah sure there's always next time, Is the Runway work interesting to look at?
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

st24 wrote:
Screechy wrote:I did notice that on Sunday the police had cleared the fence line at this point, happily letting people stay the other side of the road but no longer against the fence on their bikes or ladders, maybe in reaction to the F16 landing, not sure.

This is the barmy thing, I was asked to cross the road around the approach to the other side as "someone had their head shaved by an F-16 yeasterday". What a waste of time, policing the bit by the red/white markers but still letting the "special" people on the lights to stay there?!?!
And as for the comment about about freeloaders being able to contribute to better policing jeez- how many more do you need. Most of Lincolnshire's finest were out on the roads yesterday, 4 cars parked together in the layby plus others just tootling around, at least 5 different bikes up and down, doing pretty much nothing to be honest. Incredible waste of resources.

Comments like these...

Georgeconna wrote:Great vid, Love the lad with the walking stick waving it about and the chap waving, Ah the fun of the fair, Gonna go to this spot next year unless the fun police cordon it off, They love doing that around shows nowadays, This Adds a bit of spice to the otherwise far away flying :up:

Traveller wrote:Ah I see the keyboard h&s worrying police are out again. What a rush being that close to landing jet, get in there. Check out the old guy with the walking stick waving it!!! That must have been 15ft minimum, well safe. No need to worry about it happening again, last Waddington................

It does show poor airmanship though on behalf of the pilot. He need not have been that low on the approach.
This particular game of chicken took 2 sides to tango

...really sum up the low level of understanding and general lack of common sense amongst some ukarians..

Spot on ST24, not an once of common sense between the lot of them . I remember being ushered to a side of a Italian Runway, Oh about 10 years to have an F-104 do a low approach and as it flew overhead blow the hats off our heads and that was organised by our good hosts the Italian Military. Must be bad airmanship or do the chaps flying may know what their up to. Pity I don't have a Video to stick up to show you though you will have to take my word for it!! You will be closing the beach in a certain Tropical island next!! No fun to be had.
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

Thoughtful_Flyer

Post by Thoughtful_Flyer »

Traveller wrote:Shock horror - people stood on public road outside airfield boundary. I honestly cannot think of one dangerous thing about any of this. Sure engine failure in the last few seconds would wipe em out.........

Which is also true for traffic on the M25 under the Heathrow approach and many other roads close to runways. That is clearly considered to be an acceptable risk.

Pilots and airshow organisers need to operate in an equally safe manner. Those people have every right to stand there just as someone with no interest whatsoever in the show has to walk their dog or drive by at that moment.

F575

Post by F575 »

At the end of the day it's up to the individual and it should all be at their own risk, but you just know at some point there's going to be somebody getting injured - maybe not from the plane itself - but from diving out of the way or tripping over or something. They'll end up suing somebody or there'll be tons of bad press and it'll then impose more restrictions everywhere for fear of it happening again. Sod's law.

Look at the recent Jim Clark Rally incidents for an example of when it does go wrong.

bennysdad

Post by bennysdad »

May I suggest that at least part of the solution would be to make the view from inside the event at tad more exciting than it has become of late. I am sure there would still be some who just have to get that bit closer at any cost but I would suggest that when, as far as my doctor can determine, a reasonably rational individual like myself is looking at other viewing options that a few years ago I would not have given a thought to something must be wrong with the viewing package on offer in the official areas. If you push the crowd line far enough away from the action to ensure total safety what is the point if it simply encourages more spectators to view from really dangerous areas.