Northolt Night Photoshoot XVIII 100th Anniversary

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Pen Pusher

Re: Northolt Night Photoshoot XVIII 100th Anniversary

Post by Pen Pusher »

Navy Sea King has just arrived and when I checked in to the hotel, what I think were Belgian Police in flying kit were supping coffee in the bar. :biggrin:

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Wrighty78

Post by Wrighty78 »

Irish air corps pc9,260 inbound showing on FR 24.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

PC 9 has arrived.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

RRconway

Post by RRconway »

RRconway wrote:
zoomer wrote:Picking up a rental from LHR at 1630ish?
I wouldnt hang about - from my past bad experiences it could take an hour to get from LHR to Northolt at that time of day...!

I'll second that Lutz.
I do that journey twice a day. Head straight to Northolt and buy food in the garage.
The ruislip to Heathrow journey took me an hour and 45 minutes this morning as the a40 was closed.
if the a 40 is still closed or something else happens you will be up against it.

Not being alarmist just a friendly tip from a local ;0)

Cheers,
Jeff.

A40 now open. Took me 30 mins Heathrow to Northolt. A312 relatively clear at 15:30.

Cheers,
Jeff.
I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what I said is not what I meant.

EGDR

Post by EGDR »

XX205 departed Culdrose a little while ago, tower mentioned that they hope to see some good nightshots

Harlequin67
UKAR Supporter

Post by Harlequin67 »

Another great Nightshoot.

Thanks to Phil and the Northolt team for putting together a shoot with a very rare Belgian Police Cessna 180, it was a real gem and it did a ground run.

It was also great to meet so many friends and to seek shelter from the wind whilst eating burgers and coffee. :grin:
Aviation photographer - Achievement unlocked

centaurus18

Post by centaurus18 »

I know the guys at 736NAS were looking forward to participating at Northolt - good to hear they brought 846' with them!
Mark
'We’re in the stickiest situation, since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.'

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Another excellent nightshoot, some real choice items there tonight. thanks to all involved!
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

PorkScratching

Post by PorkScratching »

Good to meet you today Sam!

Thanks to Phil, Lee and all concerned for tonight's event. Yet another great selection of a/c, and relief for Phil with the Tracker special and Navy Sea King HU5. The Tracker running for so long was very much appreciated too.

Richard E

Post by Richard E »

PorkScratching wrote:Good to meet you today Sam!

Thanks to Phil, Lee and all concerned for tonight's event. Yet another great selection of a/c, and relief for Phil with the Tracker special and Navy Sea King HU5. The Tracker running for so long was very much appreciated too.

Agreed - and very impressed by the way everyone moved out of the way once they'd got their pictures so someone else could take their place.

Birderman

Post by Birderman »

Just like to thank everyone and the organisers for the event, it was superb and much appreciated and I look forward to attending future ones.

Regards
Kish Woolmore
London, UK
http://www.kishwphotos.co.uk

Maisie

Post by Maisie »

It was a great night as usual and I have to say even though I loved the Tracker (again) it was the Cessna that was the highlight for me. :clap:

Does anyone know why people are now setting a trend of standing tight against the Hangar doors so no one can walk past while they're taking a photo? Can they not at least leave 2-3ft behind them so people can walk past? It's alright when it's just one person, but when it's 10+ people all taking shots of 20-30 second exposures it's a little annoying! Surely people have a wider lens in their bag than 150mm+.
6D | 7D | 60D
11-16 f/2.8 | 24-105 IS L | 70-300 IS USM | 50 f/1.4 | 100 f/2.8 | 400 f/5.6

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

The same happened the other way when the doors to the grey 146 in the hangar were opened. Those on the white line just turned around to photograph it and I got waved at as I walked between them and the aircraft. They could have quite easily have moved closer to the open doors.

On long exposures, it doesn't matter if any one walks in front of you as they wont show up unless the stop very briefly and then you get a ghost effect.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

MC hammer

Post by MC hammer »

Another vote of thanks from me for another great evening. I'm pleased for Phil that some aircraft previously invited, actually managed to get here this time and the only casualties were those that were hoped for a gas and go and the Blades Extra.

My only (slight) gripe, was seeing the Sea King parked at the "dark" end. Fortunately, it was just about at a good enough angle to capture most of the glow given off by the solitary floodlight at that end but anymore nose on, it would have been pretty hopeless, which would have been a shame considering the effort made to get it there. Maybe taking care to park an aircraft slightly more side on in this position would help in future.

Looking forward to the next one.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Oh yes, didn't hear what happened to the Blades? How come they didn't arrive?
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

tommercer
UKAR Supporter

Post by tommercer »

MC hammer wrote:Another vote of thanks from me for another great evening. I'm pleased for Phil that some aircraft previously invited, actually managed to get here this time and the only casualties were those that were hoped for a gas and go and the Blades Extra.

My only (slight) gripe, was seeing the Sea King parked at the "dark" end. Fortunately, it was just about at a good enough angle to capture most of the glow given off by the solitary floodlight at that end but anymore nose on, it would have been pretty hopeless, which would have been a shame considering the effort made to get it there. Maybe taking care to park an aircraft slightly more side on in this position would help in future.

Looking forward to the next one.

Agree with the Sea King, disappointing positioning and was absolutely gutted that it didn't run up at all. The new car parking really does make for an unpleasant backdrop.

Nice to see the tracker again though :smile: thanks for all the hard work that goes into these events.

Niallxg

Post by Niallxg »

Thanks again to Phil and the team for another excellent evening. :clap:

Niall

Stevt20

Post by Stevt20 »

Phil
I would like to add my thanks to yourself and the team also for a great night (My first time). I too like a pervious post was pleasantly surprised at the courtesy of everybody on the night whilst waiting for that certain shot and I for one will be attending again.

Well done sir, well done

Graf Zeppelin

Post by Graf Zeppelin »

Wissam24 wrote:Oh yes, didn't hear what happened to the Blades? How come they didn't arrive?

The aircraft are still in the paint shop being re-liveried. THey have said they will make the next Night Photoshoot in October.
Cheers Phil

Excellere Contende

Graf Zeppelin

Post by Graf Zeppelin »

LOST PROPERTY

Handed in during the event were two fleece beanie hats and a lens hood. PM me if you think they are yours!
Cheers Phil

Excellere Contende

Harlequin67
UKAR Supporter

Post by Harlequin67 »

I deleted the double post.

Graf Zeppelin wrote:LOST PROPERTY

Handed in during the event were two fleece beanie hats and a lens hood. PM me if you think they are yours!

They were handed in to me by one of the other photographer's. He had the presence of mind to keep FOD under control. I passed them onto Phil...Just what he wanted on a busy night a handful of lost property :grin:

Binky Airways
Location: 2 Hours on the London Underground from London Heathrow

Post by Binky Airways »

Harlequin67 wrote:I deleted the double post.

Graf Zeppelin wrote:LOST PROPERTY

They were handed in to me by one of the other photographer's. He had the presence of mind to keep FOD under control. I passed them onto Phil...Just what he wanted on a busy night a handful of lost property :grin:

I'd noticed the FOD items and handed them to the organisers. I think everyone should take note about FOD, the last thing is to have FOD items breaking some of the lovely aircraft that do come in and potentially stop future night shoots. Overall, I do hope if you have lost your items, you get it back :)

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

Thanks Phil - and to everyone on base who helped make the night another great success.

This was my second night shoot here, and I was really chuffed with the colourful array of aircraft on offer. In comparison with my first night shoot results, I am really happy with what I believe to be an improvement in my quality (shooting RAW this time and Lightroom5 processing helps).

Anyway, bring on the rest of the season...

Thanks again Phil...

<what better way to spend a late winter Thursday evening than scoffing a hot dog under the wing of a Royal Flight BAE146!!>

Wissam - hard as I tried, I still never saw the Saracens hat, so did not get to me you... :dizzy:

Big shout to Scott Lee, who in five minutes of talking, enhanced the quality of my photogrpahy by about 97.99 %... :clap: :clap:
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

Harlequin67
UKAR Supporter

Post by Harlequin67 »

I'd noticed the FOD items and handed them to the organisers.

Even though I am nearly at every event at Northolt I am not an organiser..... a busybody, yes,.....organiser, no... lift for Brian (Penpusher),yes.... plus, occasional comic relief for Phil and Lee.

RRconway

Post by RRconway »

Harlequin67 wrote:
I'd noticed the FOD items and handed them to the organisers.

Even though I am nearly at every event at Northolt I am not an organiser..... a busybody, yes,.....organiser, no... lift for Brian (Penpusher),yes.... plus, occasional comic relief for Phil and Lee.

Not just Phil and Lee, Ian :wink:
I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what I said is not what I meant.