Classic Air Force, Newquay - how's it doing?

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
YORKIE

Re: Classic Air Force, Newquay - how's it doing?

Post by YORKIE »

It would be extremely sad if CAF were to close, and we probably are not helping their cause by second guessing their financials etc. The staff and volunteers are clearly passionate about their museum and in fact have inspired me to want to volunteer my own services next year. (Fingers crossed the doom and gloom comes to nothing!) Perhaps they could think out of the box? Who would pay for a day trip flight from Coventry to Newquay, thus bringing the 'midland crowds' to them? That would be a grand day out - although potentially an expensive one!

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Air Atlantique only hold an A-A AOC so fare-paying passengers couldn't be flown from Coventry to Newquay.

CameronSys

Post by CameronSys »

The rumours are NOT of Classic Air Force Newquay closing, rather, the rumours are of a downsize to non-flyers only such as the hunters, sea hawk etc etc. and that Coventry would become the base for restorations and flying aircraft.

This HAS NOT been announced by the CAF as yet, this is simply the rumour - although I have to say that it does make sense. We shall have to wait and see.

Post by 106500 »

Seemingly upbeat update from CAF on Newquay in their latest copy of 'The Meteor'. Useful read and worth being a member to receive the mag!

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

106500 wrote:Seemingly upbeat update from CAF on Newquay in their latest copy of 'The Meteor'. Useful read and worth being a member to receive the mag!

I thought that too. The idea of keeping Pleasure flights as a feature at Newquay seems a logical choice as well. At least at the time of printing it didn't seem that a move from 404 was imminent or a done deal.

Post by 106500 »

From latest newsletter 404 is no more for CAF. Hugely disappointing - those who've been there will know what a superb facility it was for showing off the collection.

CameronSys

Post by CameronSys »

Surprised that it has taken this long to be announced, it's been known by a few at CVT for a couple of months now.

Yes a bit of a shame but makes sense. Added bonus for me is that I'm a 5 minute walk from CAF Coventry :lol:!

Knowing me I will be there every day they're open now!

CameronSys

Post by CameronSys »

Some other potentially exciting news concerning the CAF at CVT. Not confirmed as yet but keep an eye on the CAF website or Facebook page perhaps?

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

They have announced their Hunter at Newquay will be repainted back to it's old 1970's/80's Light Grey/Red FRADU scheme, which will be nice. :)

I have a grainy photo of one of those going in to St Mawgan taken in 1985.

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Information on the Classic Air Force website regarding the move out of Hangar 404 in Newquay...

2015 will see our base at Newquay move - 100 metres away from Echo to Delta apron - and the purpose prepared facility of hangar 661 and building 541.

- We will be able to boast a great display of aircraft - both inside the hangar and outside.
- You will be able to sit in Hunters, Harrier Jump Jet, Sea Devon, VC10, BAC1-11, Canberra, Varsity - and as soon as restoration is completed our latest addition - the Lightning!
- You will be able to look around the largest model aircraft display in the UK.
- Browse around our new well-equipped shop.
- Enjoy our new cafe with great menu.
- Sit in our fully operational fire engine.
- Take a simulated flight with the Red Arrows in our simulator.
- Try your hand "flying" with our hands on simulator.
- So much to see and become actively involved in. We are aiming to make this a hand on experience - not just viewing the aircraft from behind a barrier.
- Pleasure flying will also be a major part of Classic Air Force Newquay. See our amazing coastline from 1500 feet.
- A great team of volunteers to show you around and answer any questions you may have.

Our opening date will be announced shortly - but aiming for May. So see you down here in Newquay again this year - it's going to be a great 2015...

Post by 106500 »

Best we can hope for in the circumstances I guess. Meanwhile 404 will go back to gathering dust - not sure what else it can be used for? Can't help feeling there are losers all round here - shame agreement couldn't apparently be achieved with Cornwall Council. Still I'll reserve judgment and as a member will visit when I can.

CameronSys

Post by CameronSys »

Apart from the pleasure flying that's NQY becoming all static displays (aircraft).

For those who haven't seen the news - on May 2nd, Airbase Coventry will re open with a vintage air display. Will be nice to see them back up north!

DerekGM6

Post by DerekGM6 »

I visited the CAF at Newquay last August Bank Holiday weeekend with some friends. We had a great afternoon including being given the guided tour of the VC-10 and 1-11 by the enthusiastic volunteers. Having flown on VC-10s in the 1960s I was agog (although the ex-East African Airways -cum -RAF tanker plane at Newquay was not one of those I flew on). It seemed strange looking out of the same window position at the wings and flaps, just as I had done as a 15-year old all those decades ago. Except than then we were at 30,000 ft over the Indian Ocean en route to Mauritius.
There are also a lot of other interesting post-war aircraft there, enough to keep any plane enthusiast absorbed for hours.

It is true that Newquay is out on a limb compared to the central UK but on the other hand Cornwall is a hugely popular holiday destination. The weekly footfall of holidaymakers in Newquay during the summer is phenomenal, and it isn't just the peak holiday period either; lots of people come to Cornwall for Christmas and short weekend breaks. With the vastly improved roads, Newquay is a mere three hours from Bristol. With better promotion I see no reason why the CAF could not greatly increase visitor numbers.

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

Announced today that Newquay will be shut altogether.

Rubbish news.

Got to wonder about the fate of the 1-11 and the VC-10.

Cornwall loses it's only decent attraction! (Apart from the seaside of course).

DanO1978

Post by DanO1978 »

G-CVIX wrote:Announced today that Newquay will be shut altogether.

Rubbish news.

Got to wonder about the fate of the 1-11 and the VC-10.

Cornwall loses it's only decent attraction! (Apart from the seaside of course).

And the beautiful Canberra T.4 they butchered for the TV cameras then dragged all the way down there.

Hate to say "told you so" but this was a bat-spit crazy idea from the start. Moving to a location exclusively reliant on holiday traffic made absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Going to cost a fortune to road the large airframes to a new location - I'd be amazed if anything other than nose sections end up surviving. Another VC-10 for the scrapman's axe, then...

These are (Pol)dark times, indeed.

Russ

Post by Russ »

From their Facebook page...

Really sad day today here at Newquay. We have been informed that Classic Air Force Newquay is to close. Here is the official press release below. Sorry for this slightly late post. This morning we have been in a volunteer meeting where all the amazing volunteers were informed. More posts to follow about the future - we have a plan!!
As Airbase gets airborne for 2015 we have to announce another side to the coin with the closure of our Newquay site. This has been an incredibly hard decision, but the costs of maintaining two attractions are too much to justify, given our status as a charity.

Our focus now is on our traditional home here in Coventry, where we'll be doing more flying, more events and adding more to see and do than ever before. Our task now is to maintain the fantastic visitor reputation our Cornwall guys achieved as the number one attraction on TripAdvisor. Thank you guys, you've done a truly outstanding job.

We'll still be offering pleasure flights and aerobatic experiences from airports in the south west, so everyone with a Classic Air Force voucher - or who just wants to fly in one of our old birds - will have a choice of where and when to take a flight. We'll be posting up flights and locations in the next ten days.
So from here on in this page will be all about our activities at our Coventry Airbase. 2015 is going to be a big year for us - the year when we really spread our wings.

Genuinely fear for the non-flyable airframes there - particularly the VC10. As many predicted the gamble to move there didn't pay off.

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

What a great shame this is. GJD services have the contract for scrapping the VC10's so I don't know what/if any RAF involvement there is with the current VC10's on display, whether they will have to go to GJD or if Newquay will dispose of it another way or if they have the (considerable) money to road runner it to Coventry. Wait and see I guess.

Lee606

Post by Lee606 »

Stupid stupid stupid !!! Newquay was never going to last was it being that far away from the vast majority. I very much doubt the vc10 will be allowed to fly back out even though it only landed a little while back and RAF guys are still current. So the chances of it being moved by road from cornwall to coventry simply won't happen period.
So it will sit and rot along with the 111 until their cockpit's get cut away and the rest gets binned.What a tragic end to beautiful aircraft that they were entrusted to look after.yes well done CAF.that really was a smart move wasn't it.bunch of time wasting idiots.you can shove your open day in may where the sun don't shine! You sicken me CAF !

ALAN L

Post by ALAN L »

From the Classic air force live FB page,so maybe there is hope yet for the airframes at NQY?
Re the news today about Newquay closing.
We will be around for a couple of months. We have loads to do. We intend to make the closure a professional operation, and make sure the aircraft are well dealt with. It's the only way we know how to do things.
So - to the locals out there - or visitors to Cornwall. If you are passing and want to pop in, we will try to explain what the future is. Ask for me - Geoff. With the initial assistance of the CAF we hope to bring something equally as impressive to St Mawgan - this summer. The volunteers have a plan - and it's doable with a bit of help from here and there. I will post on this page as things develop.
Please keep faith - there is a great chance for this to happen...

Edit,I should add that the info on the Classic air force live FB page,is updated by one of the volunteers at NQY.
Classic Flight volunteer, Hunter Flight Academy groundie and a member of the Beech restorations team.

Hasboman

Post by Hasboman »

Lee606 wrote:I very much doubt the VC10 will be allowed to fly back out, even though it only landed a little while back and RAF guys are still current.

It doesn't have any engines, so no, it won't be flying out. :whistle:

ALAN L

Post by ALAN L »

It should be remembered that the only reason Classic Air Force is in existence, is because Mike Collett foots the bill to a tune of a huge sum every year, NO-ONE makes any money from it what so ever,at all,zilch,nada....

So,while I can understand folks disappointment that the NQY facility is closing, if anyone decides not to continue to support the operation at CVT , by not having a pleasure flight ,attending the opening airshow etc, the only effect that will have is to hasten the grounding and possible eventual sale overseas of the aircraft,as it is only the monies that come in,that go towards helping make the operation 'wash it's face'.
Classic Flight volunteer, Hunter Flight Academy groundie and a member of the Beech restorations team.

Lee606

Post by Lee606 »

Hasboman wrote:
Lee606 wrote:I very much doubt the VC10 will be allowed to fly back out, even though it only landed a little while back and RAF guys are still current.

It doesn't have any engines, so no, it won't be flying out. :whistle:

I know that.I ment even if GJD brought 4 down from Bruntingthorpe and fitted them.
Last edited by Lee606 on Wed 25 Mar 2015, 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

A huge shame, against some doubts I had, I expected CAF had done their homework regarding visitor numbers and were looking to the future.

It does seem to have been a complete mess, with the move to hangar 404, (realising they couldn't afford it), then the complete fitting out of a new hangar, now for them to pull out all together.

The abandoning of the Canberra restoration at Coventry was another strange u-turn.

It does seem their plans change with the wind, they say one thing then do the other. If they pull out of Newquay I will probably not renew my membership, I very rarely go anywhere near Coventry for it to be of benefit.

Feel sorry for the volunteers that have been let down, let's hope something comes of any future plans for Newquay.

Ledhead27
UKAR Staff
Location: Inverness (and occasionally 20,000ft - if the aircraft can make it that high)

Post by Ledhead27 »

Just been reading the comments on their Facebook page and looks to be some very poisonous comments, some even stipulating that the Classic Air Force only wanted to set-up in Newquay due to the free rent. Others were also stating that confirmation of other aircraft to the re-opening airshow was of bad taste.

Granted it's a massive shame to see the base close as a major tourist attraction but surely there's no need for comments like that. At least the fleet isn't leaving UK shores...
"PostMan, FuelMan, SpamCan, NoPlan, CivviMan, Dan"

UKAR Party Plane Captain

4 out of 5 baguettes

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

It is on the Cornish Guardian web page now.

http://www.cornishguardian.co.uk/Shock- ... story.html

Not painted in a good light, when they have quoted Mike Collett's commitment to Cornwall, then in the space of a couple of months the reverse is happening.