Mildenhall to close

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
T_J

Re: Mildenhall to close

Post by T_J »

bigcrow wrote: I'm surprised Lakenheath survived but I suppose that would have been too devastating for the local economy & they probably wanted to keep a US presence on UK soil.

I'm not surprised about RAF Lakenheath staying open. The US still wants to retain a tactical nuclear weapons capability within NATO and Lakenheath with its nuclear storage and support capability was always going to remain, IMHO. The F-35As are being made B-61 nuclear bomb compatible and the upgraded B-61s integrated on NATO F-35s and other types.

http://fas.org/blogs/security/2014/03/b ... tegration/

Sid-104

Post by Sid-104 »

I may have misheard the report on About Anglia this evening but I thought 2018 was the year given for Mildenhall to close.

Sid.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

I for one will be very sad to see the base go. It has been part of that area's proud history for so many years; thankfully LN is safe or the area would have been ruined economically. As a kid, nothing came close to that day in late May each year. I know Air Fete is long gone, but didn't many of us secretly dream of a glorious return some day? I did. Hope against hope I guess.

Oh well. Thanks for some great memories RAF Mildenhall.

NIGHTFIGHTER

Post by NIGHTFIGHTER »

Im glad im on this forum, you guys know more than me (and I did nightshift on the hall last night, as I have done for the last 28 years) Ive been lucky to enjoy the life many of my fellow spotters dream of, but in the years ive been there we have seen one hell of a change in operations and tempo of flights, so the base closer is not really a shock. For me and my fellow MOD employees the up and coming time will be hard as the local employer for many years has been the USAFE, also the impact on the local infrastructure will have a very big knock on effect.........So yes you may be a spotter but spear a thought for the many people involved in getting that lump of metal in the air. Without them you will have another Hendon or Duxford.

PorkScratching
UKAR Staff

Post by PorkScratching »

st24 wrote:... It's closing will be an unfillable (word?!) void in the (dare I say) "enthusiasts" world. A trip to Mildenhall has meant more than just some boring side ons; the history, the environment, the variety, the not knowing what might show up, the very names of "the mound", "Pollards Lane", "John's farm", "Folly Road" are written in spotting folklore.
Okay so the ass and trash hauling regulars of the 'hall aren't the most exciting beasts and offer no fluff covered, flame spitting top side photographic opportunities but they've made the place a mecca amongst us. I'm gutted, I really am and may even shed a tear for the loss of a place that's meant so much to so many ...

That sums it up perfectly for me :sad:

keithnewsome

Post by keithnewsome »

On a slightly lighter note ..... I have looked at the list of Suffolk MP's and there's not a Boris in there ..... so it, possibly, will not become London's 25th (or whatever the number is today) airport ?? London (Mildenhall) .... nah doesn't sound right :biggrin:

Keith :smile:

Dan92nd

Post by Dan92nd »

Can't believe some of the narrow minded and downright selfish comments on here regarding economics/employment. Some of us are now faced with the choice of moving our families across the country to carry on with our work for USAFE, or look for another job. The worse outcome for the majority of the enthusiastic "experts" on here is that you'll have to travel elsewhere to take pictures of grey aeroplanes, which realistically all you're going to do with is either share in a forum or social network for some kind of weird personal gratification and then forget about, or look at again in a few years time. Or you could Google them to see really good topsides in perfect sunlight......
Try to look beyond your camera lenses and think about the implications of this news for local families and businesses who are reliant upon the U.S. presence here. Yes, I am an airshow and aviation enthusiast who is quite lucky to be paid to work on this side of the fence and I get to see a lot of aluminum, oops, aluminium flying through the sky on a regular bases. I will miss all that. I'm also going to miss my livelihood.

AndyXH558

Post by AndyXH558 »

Dan quite rightly said. There are a lot of jobs that will be lost now due to the cuts but am i thinking right that the next administration may turn things around?

My heart goes out to all those who will as a result of this lose their jobs and sincerely hope they can find others.
Start every day with a smile!

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Dan92nd wrote: The worse outcome for the majority of the enthusiastic "experts" on here is that you'll have to travel elsewhere to take pictures of grey aeroplanes, which realistically all you're going to do with is either share in a forum or social network for some kind of weird personal gratification and then forget about, or look at again in a few years time. Or you could Google them to see really good topsides in perfect sunlight......

"Dan92nd"
I for one can appreciate the 'hurt' you are experiencing right now as I was laid-off some years back. This particular episode has been a nightmare in terms of sensitive handling & the release of news to the wrong parties at the wrong time! There have been some rather 'disappointing' comments on this & other Forums as enthusiasts absorb the shock of this announcement. The likely impact on all aspects of life in & around Mildenhall are fairly obvious to anyone with two adjacent brain cells, but this is an Aviation Forum & one must expect the majority of Posts to have a bias.
I don't think it serves any point long-term to berate those you chose to align with until yesterday? Many of these guys are currently out of work, tossed on the scrapheap of un-employed, or never got a chance to start in the first place. This "weird personal gratification" is a relatively cheap way of filling a day, which will soon be lost to them!
Chin-up matey, you've got about 3 years to get relocated to a new job at the Heath.
Me, I got a new better job but, Jeez am I glad my purchase of that house in Pollards Lane fell-through last week! :whistle:

st24

Post by st24 »

Stagger2 wrote:
Dan92nd wrote:
Chin-up matey, you've got about 3 years to get relocated to a new job at the Heath.:

Precisely this - imagine if you'd have have worked for City Link,being told you were out of work on Christmas Day!! Being made redundant/having to re-locate is a way of life unfortunately, it's happened to me twice and millions of others around the world and this most recent news underlines that a job working in or for the military is no longer the life time guaranteed carrer it once was. As said, you've got the saving grace of time to reflect, gather your thoughts and plan ahead and the possibility of staying employed though you may have to move home. It could be a whole lot worse.
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

canard67

Post by canard67 »

The US Election is less than 2 years away and the good guys may win next time. They may spend more on the military and cut money to the thick and sick.
The world may also be a more dangerous place in a couple of years, Putin may take advantage of the US leaderships unwillingness to intervene in Ukraine etc.
The base still has a hope until the USAF hands over the keys.

Traveller

Post by Traveller »

Let's face it, the UK and the US does not need both Fairford and Mildenhall. One is enough for whatever purpose, alongside Lakenheath.

Russ

Post by Russ »

canard67 wrote:The US Election is less than 2 years away and the good guys may win next time. They may spend more on the military and cut money to the thick and sick.
The world may also be a more dangerous place in a couple of years, Putin may take advantage of the US leaderships unwillingness to intervene in Ukraine etc.
The base still has a hope until the USAF hands over the keys.

"good guys" - really? :facepalm: :hide:

I don't think any change of US administration will save Mildenhall's fate, any suggestion otherwise is false hope.

Phantom ACE

Post by Phantom ACE »

Just seen this......

RAF Lakenheath in Suffolk will become home to the first 2 US F-35 fighter jet squadrons in Europe.

The US Department of Defense has announced that RAF Lakenheath will become home to the first 2 US F-35 squadrons in Europe with the first aircraft due to arrive in 2020.

The announcement is part of the US Government’s review into the American military footprint across Europe.

The basing of US F-35s at RAF Lakenheath confirms the American military presence in the UK for the foreseeable future. It also means that for the first time in decades the US Air Force and the RAF will have operated the same type of aircraft from the UK.

The US has also decided to end its presence at nearby RAF Mildenhall. The precise timing for their final withdrawal has still to be determined, but it is expected to correspond with the period in which the US plan to increase their presence at the adjacent RAF Lakenheath.

Defence Secretary, Michael Fallon said:

This resounding vote of confidence by the US is great news for the UK. Our historic relationship with the US remains as strong as ever, and their decision to base their first F-35 squadrons in the UK clearly reflects the closeness of our partnership, as well as the American commitment to NATO and Europe.

I am delighted that the Royal Air Force, Royal Navy and US Air Force will be operating this superb aircraft alongside one another from bases in the UK. It is an indication of the strength of our continuing shared commitment to transatlantic security.

Of course, the US decision to drawdown its presence at RAF Mildenhall is disappointing. However, we recognise that in these challenging times of austerity, the US is not immune to the need to make efficiency savings across US Defence.
US Assistant Secretary of Defense, Derek Chollet said:

The UK is an extraordinary ally and supportive host to US forces. Our decision to base US Air Force F-35s at RAF Lakenheath is a testament to that special relationship and a sign of the decades of co-operation to come.

The basing of the US Air Force F-35 squadrons in such proximity to the RAF’s F-35 Lightning II jets – to be based at RAF Marham in Norfolk – will allow for the 2 forces to work even more closely together.

The build up of US capabilities and subsequent increased investment at RAF Lakenheath is particularly welcome as it will lessen the impact of the base consolidation decisions also being announced by the Department of Defense today, 8 January. However, the investments the US is making at RAF Lakenheath, and the advance notice given, will reduce any local impact of the Mildenhall drawdown.

Additionally, the US facilities at Alconbury and Molesworth will be returned to the MOD, with associated US roles and missions being completed within a single facility at RAF Croughton.

[url]www.defencetalk.com/us-announces-first-f-35-in-europe-to-be-based-in-the-uk-61343/#ixzz3OKajMQ5C
[/url]

Traveller

Post by Traveller »

What will happen to Yeovilton? Are all F35s going to be only at Marham.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

It's a shame - for the job losses, for the happy memories of those that visited the place and for the fact that it's another chapter of aviation history in the UK drawing to a close.

I'm not really in the know about this sort of thing, but how does moving the '135s to Germany affect (if at all) any AAR should aircraft need it over the North Atlantic when crossing the pond?

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Tommy wrote:I'm not really in the know about this sort of thing, but how does moving the '135s to Germany affect (if at all) any AAR should aircraft need it over the North Atlantic when crossing the pond?
I think they will send a tanker from CONUS with them, maybe they will change the exact points where they take on fuel a bit, so they can get into range of the Germany based aircraft for their next refuelling.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

Russ

Post by Russ »

Traveller wrote:What will happen to Yeovilton? Are all F35s going to be only at Marham.

Yeovilton was never scheduled to have any. The entire UK F-35 fleet will be at Marham.

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Russ wrote:
Traveller wrote:What will happen to Yeovilton? Are all F35s going to be only at Marham.

Yeovilton was never scheduled to have any. The entire UK F-35 fleet will be at Marham.

Well answered Russ. Yeah! that'll be a radical thought to base all F-35 together. Nothing at all like the previous Naval Strike Wing Harriers being based at Cottesmore with the RAF ones then Trav'?? :whistle:

Russ

Post by Russ »

RAF Mildenhall unlikely to close until at least 2021, meeting hears

The US Department of Defense announced in January that it would be withdrawing from the Suffolk base, with initial suggestions that the process would be complete by 2020.

But at a meeting between councils, businesses, colleges and government officials, the US Air Force (USAF) explained no changes in personnel numbers will take place until 2019, and any handover is unlikely before 2021-22.

romeo bravo

Post by romeo bravo »

At least it gives Marshalls a bit longer to consider Mildenhall :whistle:

138EAW

Post by 138EAW »

Russ wrote:

Marham's redevelopment for JSF is due to begin in a couple of months too :smile:
Gary

Russ

Post by Russ »

It started a while back.

138EAW

Post by 138EAW »

That was basic work and the moving of the hot pit? I'm talking about the ripping down of hanger etc
Gary

Orion

Post by Orion »

Dan92nd wrote:Can't believe some of the narrow minded and downright selfish comments on here regarding economics/employment. Some of us are now faced with the choice of moving our families across the country to carry on with our work for USAFE, or look for another job. The worse outcome for the majority of the enthusiastic "experts" on here is that you'll have to travel elsewhere to take pictures of grey aeroplanes, which realistically all you're going to do with is either share in a forum or social network for some kind of weird personal gratification and then forget about, or look at again in a few years time. Or you could Google them to see really good topsides in perfect sunlight......
Try to look beyond your camera lenses and think about the implications of this news for local families and businesses who are reliant upon the U.S. presence here. Yes, I am an airshow and aviation enthusiast who is quite lucky to be paid to work on this side of the fence and I get to see a lot of aluminum, oops, aluminium flying through the sky on a regular bases. I will miss all that. I'm also going to miss my livelihood.

Agree with the view of the (over) enthusiastic photographers, but I think I ought to point out that many people here in the UK have had to move jobs or homes because of decisions by their employers, it's a fact of life. Sorry but it's true. These events are worrying and disruptive but feeling sorry for yourself isn't the solution.

Regards
David Mylchreest