Northolt Night Photoshoot XIX 100th Anniversary-2

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
IanH

Re: Northolt Night Photoshoot XIX 100th Anniversary-2

Post by IanH »

Pleased to see Staff members sticking together and don`t think there is a right or wrong way to express an opinion. Nice to hear chaps.

BTW Ian

p47dave

Post by p47dave »

I would just like to say that I had a great time. It was well organised and a lot of people had plenty of opportunity to get plenty of images. Thank you to the organisers who did a great job of "herding cats" for the evening!!
Dave Layland

Nikon D700
Nikon D750

http://www.davelayland.co.uk

Twitter @DLPhoto5

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

I'm not quite sure what you're implying with that "sticking together" remark, Ian, but I can assure you that whatever you're insinuating very much is not the case.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

IanH

Post by IanH »

Please excuse me 'Wissam' but I don`t know your name and therefore I cannot address you personally not that really matters. Forgive me but I really don`t think its hard to understand. I believe there are times in our life when it would be nice to explain face to face when one is unhappy with something. In my humble opinion there is a right and wrong way and from where I come from, you have to be prepared to say it directly or not at all. This may be hard for some here to understand but I feel this is simple. If you have kids, work in a business (especially a US organisation), are talking/working with the military etc etc I know there is a right and wrong way. Opinion is fine and I will therefore disagree gracefully with your view on this. I haven`t behaved in a childish manner as Boff' implied and I simply asked if he could explain his chuckles after my suggestion that those with genuine complaints should talk with Phil, Lee and the team directly (Emails and pm`s are off line if they prefer and are appropriate) rather than them reading this for the first time on a forum. He didn`t explain this unless I missed it!

Military organisations monitor forums (believe it or not) and these things are noted. We all know that comments were passed about the recent Coningsby night shoot for example; some made by non-attendees. Coningsby asked for feedback and just so it is out in the open, I gave mine in person and emailed directly also. I received confirmation that they were grateful for this and the manner in which it was done. No website involved. It has been noted and I can assure you that more notice is taken of this than constantly complaining. In the long run this benefits everyone as such events are 'goodwill' events. I hope I don`t have to explain that!

As for theearlier implied comparison with RIAT, this was farcical. They are completely different events. Rest assured that the driving force for this event is Phil, backed to the hilt by Lee alone. He has the full support of Northolt Station Command. Do I need to say more!

Over the many years that these Night shoots have taken place, literally thousands have had the opportunity to photograph aircraft they wouldn`t otherwise plus had the opportunity to shoot at night; an environment all of us enjoy and love. I have missed only a handful due to illness only. It is increasingly hard to do this anywhere on the plant let alone at a location in West London.I know personally that Phil goes well beyond the call to include everyone and satisfy the demands of every person for every event. This particular event represented a massive challenge but once again he and his team pulled more rabbits out of the hat. The Squadrons also backed him up where possible. He also works 7 days a week unpaid to rebuild Building 27....it is mind blowing what he has done but that all gets forgotten! Call me mad or incorrect if you like but for that he deserves a little more respect and understanding. After so many positive achievements, some feel the urge to complain out aloud in public when the slightest things isn`t right in their view. Happy that people express 'disappointment but sometimes the 'variables' like weather, operational commitments, serviceability etc just get in the way. The RNAS Sea king was an excellent example of this. Many comments on here here about it not attending including some unforgiveable ones. I know this squadron well and I can tell you that every effort was made. Let alone the age of the aircraft, on a number of occasions Culdrose was fogged out ie nothing moved only in the event of a SAR shout, so they would have come if they could. Eventually they came and supported Phil. If I complained about all my aviation mishaps over my life it would take me a decade but one has to be reflective and always think there will be a next time. I`ve taken 5 years to set up some of the things I have completed during my aviation enthusiast life. This is the pragmatism I mentioned but it seems this can be glossed over nowadays. I`m probably too old in the tooth now to believe there is any hope in this respect. Far to easy to complain out aloud and assume the organisers will ALWAYS take it on the chin.....because its like RIAT......which incidently I thoroughly enjoy. I would be more than happy if they parked the static line further away if I could get an uncluttered view. I would also pay quite a bit to then photograph them at night! Its never going to happen though.

As for the price, cost, donation call it whatever you like, the 'value' at Northolt here is amazing and you don`t have to go either! For £30 only compared to £40, £60 for some of these historic events elsewhere around the country which nobody seemingly complains about. I know many who travel down from Manchester and alike who have no complaints about the time. distance and cost.....they love it!

Make of this what you wish. If any of this makes no sense, is rude, insults any one then I`ll apologise happily. That is not my intention.

BTW Ian

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

I haven`t behaved in a childish manner as Boff' implied

Never implied you had, please don't read into my posts comments that aren't there, that was part of a response to Jalfrezi pointing out offending posts had already been removed for being childish.

I'm not bothering to respond to every point in your essay, purely as you'll disagree with anything I say, which is your right to.

All I would say is this is a forum and website that has the following word at the end of it's title - "Review".
Public discussion regarding what people thought were the good/bad points of a public aviation event (i.e. reviewing them) are at the very core of this websites and public forums existence and purpose. It is one of the key reasons many organisers engage with our community, not only to advertise their events but to receive/collate feedback.

If people decide to make their suggestions known on here, on social media or privately directly to the organisers that is their personal choice.

Andy

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

Indeed, Andy - people should not be berated for their honest feedback: it's not like the poster was demanding something silly like questioning why a MiG-29 wasn't in attendance. You might disagree with it, and by all means challenge the post - but such aggression about, what is, free speech is not needed.

IanH

Post by IanH »

Ok chaps. I will respect your views and move on. Thanks Andy for confirming the childish comment was referring to me. I won`t waste any more time on this. I know many understand the main points I was trying to make. Over and out!

Best wishes, Ian

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

IanH wrote:Ok chaps. I will respect your views and move on. Thanks Andy for confirming the childish comment was referring to me. I won`t waste any more time on this. I know many understand the main points I was trying to make. Over and out!

Best wishes, Ian

He said it wasn't referring to you.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

IanH

Post by IanH »

Wissam24 wrote:
IanH wrote:Ok chaps. I will respect your views and move on. Thanks Andy for confirming the childish comment was referring to me. I won`t waste any more time on this. I know many understand the main points I was trying to make. Over and out!

Best wishes, Ian

He said it wasn't referring to you.

I know that now. That`s what I`ve said above thanking Andy.

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

Quite frankly this thread has gotten ridiculous over someone making a comment regarding the layout, I've seen other events take an absolute hammering on here and no-one has bat an eyelid.

Nobody has said they've not enjoyed it and we all know the hard work that Phil & the team put into organising these nightshoots.