Bring them back

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Steve p

Re: Bring them back

Post by Steve p »

FarnboroJohn wrote:Handley Page Heyford. Then I will believe in it.

John

So there is someone else out there that likes them :rock:

red_snow

Post by red_snow »

Comet102 wrote:Westland Wessex.

I'll second that ...... and a Whirlwind + Sea King in formation (NAS771 colours)

Others (achievable or otherwise)
Sea Harrier
Harrier GR3
Jaguar
F-4
F-14
TSR2
Vulcan/Victor/Victor formation ..... in ant-flash white
HP Halifax with the Lanc
Lightning
Fairey Gannet

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Steve p wrote:

John

Its an awesome design. I look at pictures and just think "Why?" And I'm sure the answer is "Just because."

I'd love to see one in the air. It was a Heyford that undertook the proof-of-concept flights for British radar, that's reason enough for a place in history.

John

RAF4EVER

Post by RAF4EVER »

TSR 2
XB-70 Valkyrie
SR-71
YF-12
B-58 Hustler

Steve p

Post by Steve p »

FarnboroJohn wrote:
Steve p wrote:

John

Its an awesome design. I look at pictures and just think "Why?" And I'm sure the answer is "Just because."

I'd love to see one in the air. It was a Heyford that undertook the proof-of-concept flights for British radar, that's reason enough for a place in history.

John

They was pretty unique in there looks, nice looking in a odd sort of way.
Also they was the last biplane heavy bombers the RAF used, for there intended role anyway.

CJS

Post by CJS »

red_snow wrote:
Comet102 wrote:Westland Wessex.

I'll second that ...... and a Whirlwind + Sea King in formation (NAS771 colours)

Others (achievable or otherwise)
Sea Harrier
Harrier GR3
Jaguar
F-4
F-14
TSR2
Vulcan/Victor/Victor formation ..... in ant-flash white
HP Halifax with the Lanc
Lightning
Fairey Gannet

Well Harriers, Sea Harriers, Tomcats, Phantoms, Jaguars and Lightnings don't actually need bringing back, just bringing over :-) (chance would be a fine thing mind, apart from the odd static f-4 and occasional Spanish Harrier)

A carefully planned world tour would help you see some of the rest :-P
With just the slightest bit of finesse, I might have made a little less mess.

Alanko

Post by Alanko »

A flying Lightning would be good to see, as long as I can watch it from inside a pillbox or bunker. The CAA will never let that happen of course.

The Shackleton is something I'm dying to see fly. I'm just too young to have missed seeing them fly, although there is always the chance I saw one from ages 0 - 4 (I grew up in rural central Scotland not too far from Strathallan) and didn't give it too much thought. I think it will fill a Vulcan-shaped hole to some degree for a lot of folk, and the thought of the Shack and the BBMF Lancaster flying a two ship formation? :clap:

CJS

Post by CJS »

Alanko wrote: the thought of the Shack and the BBMF Lancaster flying a two ship formation? :clap:

If (when?) the Shackleton takes to the skies again, how likely is this to happen on any kind of regular basis? I don't think I have ever seen Sally B fly with the BBMF Lancaster for example - does this ever happen?

For me a three ship with the B-17, Lancaster and Shack would be a wonderful and in the future realistic airshow possibility, although I realise of course that the Shackleton wasn't a contemporary (in any meaningful sense) of either aircraft.

Steve p

Post by Steve p »

I think a Nimrod would fill XH558s boots better, i remember one doing a exellent display at the 2002 RIAT, it was awesome.

https://youtu.be/BUSSAeF6CnI

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

CJS wrote:
Alanko wrote: the thought of the Shack and the BBMF Lancaster flying a two ship formation? :clap:

If (when?) the Shackleton takes to the skies again, how likely is this to happen on any kind of regular basis? I don't think I have ever seen Sally B fly with the BBMF Lancaster for example - does this ever happen?

For me a three ship with the B-17, Lancaster and Shack would be a wonderful and in the future realistic airshow possibility, although I realise of course that the Shackleton wasn't a contemporary (in any meaningful sense) of either aircraft.

What about with 'Just Jane' when/if she flies? 3 Avros in formation again :drool:
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

Lee606

Post by Lee606 »

With regards to stuff being too technical like the phantom & buccaneers etc would it not be possible to strip a lot of the "technical" stuff out that's not needed these days so you are left with a airframe with just the essentials needed to make certification by the CAA easier?

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Lee606 wrote:With regards to stuff being too technical like the phantom & buccaneers etc would it not be possible to strip a lot of the "technical" stuff out that's not needed these days so you are left with a airframe with just the essentials needed to make certification by the CAA easier?
Thought about weight and balance?
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

ted633

Post by ted633 »

Lee606 wrote:With regards to stuff being too technical like the phantom & buccaneers etc would it not be possible to strip a lot of the "technical" stuff out that's not needed these days so you are left with a airframe with just the essentials needed to make certification by the CAA easier?

Problem is though, the essentials are the technical stuff. (Engines, avionics, hydraulics etc). Also, you can't just strip bits out as you please as the aircraft is only certified to fly with all those parts installed (ejector seats are a good example).

There is also the issue of these aircraft, even this many years later, are still very capable killing machines if they fall into the wrong hands

Steve p

Post by Steve p »

I was wondering if the complex jets that can undertake fast taxis at Bruntingthorpe and the likes could actually fly if restrictions was lifted, i hear stories of wheels leaving the ground but could say the Nimrod or Lightning actually preform a flight?.

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

Has been discussed on the forum in recent months, Steve: http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=66959

CJS

Post by CJS »

I asked this a while ago, IIRC there are various components removed which would make flight either impossible or unsafe. That said, it's not necessarily impossible :-o :-P

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rCyNJ3-8fKY

Steve p

Post by Steve p »

Thanks chaps, i see now. That victor just wanted to fly, a possible candidate for bringing the vulcan gap maybe, if i was a billionaire i would make it happen as i always liked victors more then vulcans. :-X

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

The Victors were pretty much all out of airframe life when they were retired if I remember correctly.

I think the full fuel loadings supporting allied aircraft during the Gulf War used up their airframe life quite quickly.

AndyXH558

Post by AndyXH558 »

A couple of Harriers flew over out Villa in Torrevjeca. I have never been so happy seeing a harrier!! :smile: :smile:
Start every day with a smile!

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

CJS wrote:I asked this a while ago, IIRC there are various components removed which would make flight either impossible or unsafe. That said, it's not necessarily impossible :-o :-P

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rCyNJ3-8fKY

I would suggest that a controlled and planned restoration to flight is one thing, the inadvertent and very nearly disastrous error that caused the Victor's flight is quite another.

Greydrake

Post by Greydrake »

not sure this counts as a bring it back buut

The B2 Spirit

I think it flew at Farnborough a few years back would love to see it

adamp89

Post by adamp89 »

RE the buccaneer mentioned previously;

the one at scampton is apparently kept in a flyable condition awaiting a contract. HHA also have a SU22 that is in the same condition, all registered on the military register, there is also a german marked F4 at scampton but i dont know about its condition

Adam
Adam

Alanko

Post by Alanko »

Is the Buccaneer run by the same company that have a couple of Hunters at Scampton? What is their role, because I understand these are still on the military register? When would the RAF require these aircraft?

adamp89

Post by adamp89 »

yes both the sukhoi and bucc are owned by hawker hunter aviation (who also own that t7 with the nose probe) they have 17 aircraft in total
Adam

Alanko

Post by Alanko »

What do they do with them or, rather, when would the RAF need their services?