A trip back to Aircraft Illustrated June 1996

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Traveller

A trip back to Aircraft Illustrated June 1996

Post by Traveller »

Reading a copy I bought (new £2.60) had so much in it to remind me of the not so long ago good old days. Just 19 years ago...............

First flight of the C130J - in fact the 1st for the RAF ZH865
First MD11ER delivered
Laker DC10 returns to Gatwick 14 years after bust. N832LA did a proving flight from Orlando
Ryanair leases two 111s cos it cant get enough 737-200s
Gambling introduced on BA long haul
OPFE Viscount written off at Belfast
RAF C130K tankers retired
Final VC10 tanker conversion completed
Second E3D squadron formed (23)
First Tornado GR1 to be upgraded to GR4 delivered to Warton
Final USAF F4 mission
Load of Chipmunks stored at Newton
Whole story of G-CEXP and its journey to the roof at Gatwick
Advert for Waddington show entrance £6
50th anniversary of Heathrow had a flypast including Viscounts, Vanguard, Comet 4 XS235 and 707 5N-ARQ, a private 720, Iberia 727...........
Apparently 1 Sqn were bringing their entire 15 Harriers to RIAT 96, did it happen?
Slovakia bringing white albatross team to Mildenhall
Details of every Mildenhall show 1976 to date. Future F16 prototype appeared in 76. 83 saw forst TR1 flying display. In 1991 gulf war had no effect on the show, funny that. Only a B1 was missing.
I wont go through the airshow list, its packed. 258 events in BRITAIN ALONE March-October
Touchdown Mildenhall Aviation Group were doing several tours, £2500 to Japan, ouch.
Air Atlantique introduced its historic flight. £30 got you a tour and flight on TWO aircraft
APS Advanced Photo System is featured - remember that!!!
PA474 has mid life update
Someone nicks the radar out of Lightning XN728 at Balderton and it tips on its tail!
Last passenger flight of the Viscount
You can win a Nokia 2010 phone

and finally the thing I always remember about the back of this mag, Keegans bookshop in Reading advertised in it every single month.............

Rampvan

Re: A trip back to Aircraft Illustrated June 1996

Post by Rampvan »

Oh dear dont read the Dec 74 edition.... XM606 on front cover...colour photos of ....Channel airways Heron G-AXFH ....centre spread of a lightening intercepting a TU-95 and SR71 arriving at Farnborough...all for the princely sum of 25p....oh, and VHF Supplies Hounslow advert inside back cover :biggrin:

Trenchard

Re: A trip back to Aircraft Illustrated June 1996

Post by Trenchard »

Traveller wrote:Reading a copy I bought (new £2.60) had so much in it to remind me of the not so long ago good old days. Just 19 years ago...............

Apparently 1 Sqn were bringing their entire 15 Harriers to RIAT 96, did it happen?

Not quite, there were 18 Harriers at RIAT '96 13 x GR7, 4 x T10 and 1 x FA2. The RAF aircraft were drawn from all the Harrier Sqns and included an example from the AWC. The Navy aircraft was from 800NAS