Thunder City goes international

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
CJS

Re: Thunder City goes international

Post by CJS »

The Redbull aircraft look cool at least - inauthentic of course but cool. The Shell Hunter is just horrid :-P
With just the slightest bit of finesse, I might have made a little less mess.

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

Where did anyone say that the Shell Hunter shouldn't be in the air? They didn't, I simply said the paintjob was vile, which it is and a couple of people happen to agree! Paint a Harrier pink with yellow spots on and have it open RIAT to the theme of Mr Blobby and I'll still turn up to see it, because it's a Harrier, it won't stop me calling it shockingly hideous though!

jon93

Post by jon93 »

Thumper wrote:Where did anyone say that the Shell Hunter shouldn't be in the air? They didn't, I simply said the paintjob was vile, which it is and a couple of people happen to agree! Paint a Harrier pink with yellow spots on and have it open RIAT to the theme of Mr Blobby and I'll still turn up to see it, because it's a Harrier, it won't stop me calling it shockingly hideous though!

:lmao: I would pay good money to see aircraft in a Mr Blobby paint scheme.

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

Thumper wrote:Where did anyone say that the Shell Hunter shouldn't be in the air? They didn't, I simply said the paintjob was vile, which it is and a couple of people happen to agree! Paint a Harrier pink with yellow spots on and have it open RIAT to the theme of Mr Blobby and I'll still turn up to see it, because it's a Harrier, it won't stop me calling it shockingly hideous though!

Without the Shell sponsorship the aircraft may not be in the air though, so if they came along and said "we're going to throw £XXXm at you, to get a Bucc in the air but we're painting it yellow, take it or leave it" I think the vast majority would be happy to see it in the air and I would not care that it looked like a tellytubby. Obviously st24 would be sick everywhere.

(I also happened to like the Sea Vixen when it was in the Red Bull scheme )

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Wes_Howes wrote: so if they came along and said "we're going to throw £XXXm at you, to get a Bucc in the air but we're painting it yellow, take it or leave it

Sad thing is one of the Buccs was yellow (plus some dark green and white as well) before they ruined it, so yellow might be OK. :up:

For the Sea Vixen comment you should be horsewhipped :grin: :wink:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

CJS wrote:The Redbull aircraft look cool at least - inauthentic of course but cool.

You clearly like looking in the mirror :handbag:

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

capercaillie wrote:
Wes_Howes wrote: so if they came along and said "we're going to throw £XXXm at you, to get a Bucc in the air but we're painting it yellow, take it or leave it

Sad thing is one of the Buccs was yellow (plus some dark green and white as well) before they ruined it, so yellow might be OK. :up:

For the Sea Vixen comment you should be horsewhipped :grin: :wink:

One assumes you mean the S2 prototype?

And I have strange tastes so I may just like that too :tongue2: :pinkwafer:

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Wes_Howes wrote:One assumes you mean the S2 prototype?

No, the three aircraft currently operated by Thunderboxcity were originally ordered for the MoD as aircraft purely for weapons range research and were delivered in a unique yellow, dark green and white scheme with no roundels and the serials in large letters across the rotating bomb bay.

During their life with the test fleets XW987 and XW986 found themselves transferred into raspberry ripple, the latter still wears the scheme, but XW988 remained in the green and yellow until retirement. 987 and 988 are both black now.
Here's a link to the scheme as it was, credits to the photographer etc etc.
http://www.airteamimages.com/hawker-siddeley-buccaneer_XW988_united-kingdom---royal-air-force_94607.html

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

That scheme isn't too bad, at least the yellow is broken up.

I'm not adverse to a funky scheme, I have a love hate relationship with Hawker Hunter Miss Demeanour and my favourite display aircraft at the moment is the camouflage Typhoon, it's nice to see some colour on an otherwise green and grey scene... but that Shell Hunter is still rancid :lol:

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

Thunderboxcity
:grin:

capercaillie wrote: During their life with the test fleets XW987 and XW986 found themselves transferred into raspberry ripple, the latter still wears the scheme, but XW988 remained in the green and yellow until retirement. 987 and 988 are both black now.
Here's a link to the scheme as it was, credits to the photographer etc etc.
http://www.airteamimages.com/hawker-siddeley-buccaneer_XW988_united-kingdom---royal-air-force_94607.html

:up: I didn't realise that's what they were for, thank you :smile:

rob68

Post by rob68 »

Off thread slightly but talking of spots on aircraft anyone remember the JP covered in multiple spots, think it was called Dotty, what happened to that?

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

rob68 wrote:Off thread slightly but talking of spots on aircraft anyone remember the JP covered in multiple spots, think it was called Dotty, what happened to that?

It was sold to a Brit living in Canada back in 2009 with a view to restoration and return to flight. New registration is C-FDJP, it's now painted black and lives at the Jet Aircraft Museum in Waterloo, Ontario.

http://www.jetaircraftmuseum.ca/index.php/our-aircraft/11-our-aircraft/36-bac-jet-provost

Dear god :-X

Waterloo Airshow 2013

Traveller

Post by Traveller »

Thunder City doesn't really exist. The Namibia shows were simply privately operated aircraft. An article in SA Flyer a few months back I reference elsewhere explained everything from M Beachy Head. All aircraft for sale still.