Thunder City goes international

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
CJS

Thunder City goes international

Post by CJS »

As brought up briefly in the Vulcan thread, the Thunder City Buccaneer and (garishly painted) Hunter have made their first appearance outside South Africa at an airshow in Namibia. One of their Lightnings was due to make the trip too but couldn't be readied in time.

Encouraging to see and great to have a flying Bucc again on the international circuit (although obviously some distance from these shores still!)

See November's Flypast for more details.
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

MRTT

Re: Thunder City goes international

Post by MRTT »

Nice to see them performing elsewhere, one step closer to these shores I suppose!
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey

Arthur Tee

Post by Arthur Tee »

BrizeWatcher wrote:Nice to see them performing elsewhere, one step closer to these shores I suppose!

With the slating they took over the Lightning crash, and following the two tragic jet-related crashes in the UK this past year - do you REALLY want them any closer?

Arthur
Canon PowerShot SX40HS - It's not what you've got - it's what you do with it!

st24

Post by st24 »

Arthur Tee wrote:
BrizeWatcher wrote:Nice to see them performing elsewhere, one step closer to these shores I suppose!

With the slating they took over the Lightning crash, and following the two tragic jet-related crashes in the UK this past year - do you REALLY want them any closer?

Arthur

Only if they painted them properly. ..
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Arthur Tee

Post by Arthur Tee »

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a Lightning or Buccaneer in the air again - but I would prefer a different operator...

Arthur
Canon PowerShot SX40HS - It's not what you've got - it's what you do with it!

CJS

Post by CJS »

You don't exactly have a huge choice at present ;-)

MRTT

Post by MRTT »

st24 wrote:
Arthur Tee wrote:

Arthur

Only if they painted them properly. ..

Can't stand their paint schemes, its horrible. :sick:
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

I just went on to the Thunder City website to check out the schemes of the aircraft when I see there's a statement issued on the homepage stating that the investigation and subsequent SAC AA public report of the crash of ZU-BEX has been labelled as scandelous, libellous, seriously flawed and smacks of a witch hunt :confused: That's quite a statement! So anyway, the website sections no longer work, any links to these 'interesting' schemes as Google for once is not helping much?

Douglas Bader Mouse

Post by Douglas Bader Mouse »

Thumper wrote:I just went on to the Thunder City website to check out the schemes of the aircraft when I see there's a statement issued on the homepage stating that the investigation and subsequent SAC AA public report of the crash of ZU-BEX has been labelled as scandelous, libellous, seriously flawed and smacks of a witch hunt :confused: That's quite a statement! So anyway, the website sections no longer work, any links to these 'interesting' schemes as Google for once is not helping much?

Further evidence of why no British, or indeed European airshow wouod ever even consider booking anything involved with that operation. Heads in the sand, no pun meant.

The only scandal of ZU-BEX was that no one is doing a strech of jail time.

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

I remember at the time Thunder City said they were going to hold their own investigation to challenge the SAC AA one but as far as I can see that never actually happened, or maybe it did and found they were still negligent idiots so they didn't bother to publish it!

duxfordhawk

Post by duxfordhawk »

Could the organisation learnt from its mistakes?, as awful as it sounds often from accidents and incidents come new safer practices and regulations. So if Thunder City has come out this accident a more organised safer operator then it's great that they are starting to send aircraft abroad, if not oh dear. Either way after the Hunter and Gnat accidents this year vintage jets will probably become a rarer sight as insurances and alike get pushed up, I won't hold my breathe on Thunder City appearing in the UK.
Martin
To see my Photos go to
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dxhawk/

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

Having carefully read the accident report when it came out, I am amazed that they are still running. Would any of us take a ride? Not me.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

Ewart

Post by Ewart »

Thumper wrote: So anyway, the website sections no longer work, any links to these 'interesting' schemes as Google for once is not helping much?

http://www.thundercity.com/pages/499409 ... s/baeb.asp

Hope that helps.

Maisie

Post by Maisie »

I could have sworn they were under new management? Are they not? Or did I dream that up....
6D | 7D | 60D
11-16 f/2.8 | 24-105 IS L | 70-300 IS USM | 50 f/1.4 | 100 f/2.8 | 400 f/5.6

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

Ewart wrote:
Thumper wrote: So anyway, the website sections no longer work, any links to these 'interesting' schemes as Google for once is not helping much?

http://www.thundercity.com/pages/499409 ... s/baeb.asp

Hope that helps.

Thank you Ewart! :up: The Raspberry Ripple Buccaneer is lovely but the black Bucc, Hunter and Lightning do nothing for me and the yellow Shell Hunter is absolutely hideous, quite possibly one of the most vile paintjobs I've seen, ruining such a beautiful aircraft is a crime in itself!

LightningMk6

Post by LightningMk6 »

Thunder City website states "The British Aerospace Buccaneers at Thunder City are the last three serviceable Buccaneers in the world." I think you'll find that Bruntingthorpe has several serviceable Buccs.

ATrs.jules

Post by ATrs.jules »

LightningMk6 wrote:Thunder City website states "The British Aerospace Buccaneers at Thunder City are the last three serviceable Buccaneers in the world." I think you'll find that Bruntingthorpe has several serviceable Buccs.

flying maybe, but not serviceable there are 5 at Bruntingthorpe, and knowing one of the pilots who throws them down the runway, he says that at least one of them he would gladly take to the air in.
http://www.aviationgraphics.com | http://www.za326.com cold war jets volunteer
NIKON D5200 | 18-200 VR AF-S.

Reds Rolling

Post by Reds Rolling »

pbeardmore wrote:Having carefully read the accident report when it came out, I am amazed that they are still running. Would any of us take a ride? Not me.

I probably would. It'd be safer now than a few years ago I'd imagine, and what a rare experience. I might want to check the maintenance logs for the ejection systems beforehand though. :whistle:

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

LightningMk6 wrote:Thunder City website states "The British Aerospace Buccaneers at Thunder City are the last three serviceable Buccaneers in the world." I think you'll find that Bruntingthorpe has several serviceable Buccs.

What about HHA's one ... I know it's not in use , but I assume they're keeping it serviceable ?
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

CJS

Post by CJS »

By serviceable they presumably mean airworthy, which is closer to the truth.

Agree about the Shell Hunter - truly awful (and not in the old sense of the word!!)

Alanko

Post by Alanko »

I'll be in my bunker! From their website (my emphasis):

These amazing jets are meticulously maintained by former air force engineers and always flown well within their performance limitations. Even so we do not take safety for granted. Therefore you will be trained to safely use the aircraft’s emergency systems such as the ejection seat, emergency oxygen etc.

No thanks, ta.

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

Alanko wrote:I'll be in my bunker! From their website (my emphasis):

These amazing jets are meticulously maintained by former air force engineers and always flown well within their performance limitations. Even so we do not take safety for granted. Therefore you will be trained to safely use the aircraft’s emergency systems such as the ejection seat, emergency oxygen etc.

No thanks, ta.

I'll join you in the bunker because that's my feelings as well. It was a crash waiting to happen, I won't entertain the use of the word accident in that sentence either.

If I remember correctly there is somewhere in Russia which offers flights in a range of 'fighter jets', at the top of my Christmas list for many years has been the Su-27 joyride! I can't quite seem to persuade people that £10,000 is an absolute bargain though! :roll:

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

As for the yellow colour scheme, if Shell decided to sponsor a Buccaneer in the UK and get it airworthy would anyone turn their back on it? I don't think so. Just because it's not authentic, doesn't mean it shouldn't fly! Look at the Flying Bulls, I don't see many complaints about them...

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Wes_Howes wrote:Look at the Flying Bulls, I don't see many complaints about them...

You're not searching hard enough...... :whistle:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

capercaillie wrote:
Wes_Howes wrote:Look at the Flying Bulls, I don't see many complaints about them...

You're not searching hard enough...... :whistle:

Or I'm just looking at the pictures of the aircraft in the air :wink: