S.D.S.R 2015

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Finningley Boy

Re: S.D.S.R 2015

Post by Finningley Boy »

sjt wrote:They should stick the two additional Typhoon squadrons into Leeming. What a waste of a great base and infrastrure that place is at the moment.

You could say the same about a good many RAF air bases. :cuppa:

Wittering, Honington, Cottesmore, Leuchars, Kinloss, Lyneham. Yes indeed, most are in the hands of the Army but at least two of those are still active airfields, others have gone to waste. :sad:

FB :biggrin:
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

patrouille2001 wrote:Does anyone know the condition of Kinloss and Leuchars runways, I know when they closed Cottesmore, they removed the Radar and landing lights and wondered if they had done the same ? :question:

They're both available as master diversions for Lossiemouth. Leuchars still gets a degree of traffic in and out and practising approaches. :cuppa:

I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

JetA1

Post by JetA1 »

Anyone miss the statement on the previous page they're keeping an amount of Hercules into the 2030s? That's either an admission the A400 can't do what the Herc does, or they're not buying enough.

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

Finningley Boy wrote:
patrouille2001 wrote:Does anyone know the condition of Kinloss and Leuchars runways, I know when they closed Cottesmore, they removed the Radar and landing lights and wondered if they had done the same ? :question:

They're both available as master diversions for Lossiemouth. Leuchars still gets a degree of traffic in and out and practising approaches. :cuppa:

If it wasnt for the lack of aircraft and their squadrons, you would think Leuchars was a fully functioning airfield! :tumbleweed:
Arabest,
Geoff.
52 in a year! We must be certifiable!

Steve p

Post by Steve p »

Find it strange how our once great nation pioneered the use of a jet powered long range maritime patrol aircraft and a VTOL/STOVL fast jet, only to withdraw them early without replacement due to cost then a few years later announce we are buying the same types from a foreign source.
Seems so sad as we used to produce world beating aircraft all by ourself.
I bet Putin and IS will be shivering in there boots in 5,6,7 or whatever amount of years it is until our armed forces are somewhere near where they should be now :-X

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

By the way, anyone thinking that we might end up with a Sunderland II name for the P8s?

Unlikely, it sounds like half of a football score!

ted633

Post by ted633 »

JetA1 wrote:Anyone miss the statement on the previous page they're keeping an amount of Hercules into the 2030s? That's either an admission the A400M can't do what the Herc does, or they're not buying enough.

I think they have just come to there senses (for once) and realised just how valuable the Hercules is! An airlift force of C-17, A400M & C-130 is a very good prospect

CJS

Post by CJS »

FGR2 wrote:
By the way, anyone thinking that we might end up with a Sunderland II name for the P8s?

Although not a very common one :-P
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

Rampvan

Post by Rampvan »

CJS wrote:
FGR2 wrote:

Although not a very common one :-P

the Sunderland 0 may be more apt !!! :biggrin:

XX752

Post by XX752 »

aknott68 wrote:
PeterR wrote:
harkins wrote:What exactly is the process on selecting squadrons to be formed? Is it just next on the list or some historical relevancy to the squadrons role or where they're based?

Mainly factored on squadron age and historical value. 19 Squadron being a low number, a Battle of Britain squadron and being frontline for much of it's life gives it president over, for example, 74 Squadron. When 216 Squadron was disbanded last year, they knew that the numberplate would likely never come back so the standard wasn't 'laid up' at RAF Cranwell whereas other disbanded units do, until they are stood up. There are plenty of numberplates to choose from but now with less and less fast-jet squadrons (and squadrons in general) the likelyhood of high-numbered squadrons with juicy markings (eg 74/111 etc) coming back is getting lower and lower.

Is it not the case however that the 200 series squadron numbers were the ones representing the old RNAS squadrons, and do they not still maintain some seniority - or is the feeling that they'll be reserved for the P8 Squadron/s - I assume that there will be more than 1 squadron even though the fleet size is small, as done with the E3D.

I think the Sentry force is back as a single sdn operator now - No 8. 42 sdn is an historical low numbered one connected with the Maritime fleet but I would think 22 is high on the agenda.

romeo bravo

Post by romeo bravo »

Brevet Cable wrote:
Concorde216 wrote:Well, for once the armed forces are going to get some much needed cash.
The Armed Forces as a whole are getting the cash......unfortunately that doesn't extend to the troops -- pensions cuts , benefits cuts , allowance cuts , etc.
Hence why the Military are having retention problems due to so many of them PVR-ing or simply not extending their service.
CMD made a big thing of increasing the Reserves by 35,000.....who will make up a large number of these Reserves ? Yep , those same disgruntled people !!
You can just see how well that's going to go , can't you.

Add to the mix a reduction in MOD civil staff by 30% to 41000, the uniformed side will have to take on their work as well; I know people have their own ideas of the CS, but at least they allow uniformed staff to do what they should be doing.

Things are getting bad enough as they are, jobs gapped because of recruiting embargos, staff morale on both sides of the fence at a massive low and totally agree about the 'Reserves', who going to leave the job and become a Reservist if they have been treated like poo.

stratocaster

Post by stratocaster »

So a fleet of shiny new 737- 800's then? I take it engines and guts stripped and refitted with RR Trents and all the previous innards of the Nimrod etc? I doubt they'll wander away from the Poseidon name we know them as. The P8 "Stalker"?!!! Nah, just can't see it.
Card carrying aviation addict!

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

They don't get a choice , they automatically have a commitment to the Reserves ( think it's still for 3 years after they leave the Forces )......what happens if the 'fail to commit' is another matter.
Along with the cuts to the CS , there are still the ongoing cuts to the Police & HMRC/BA , plus I've also seen mention that the contract for the fisheries protection aircraft ( Cobham ? ) is to be binned.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Maisie

Post by Maisie »

JetA1 wrote:Anyone miss the statement on the previous page they're keeping an amount of Hercules into the 2030s? That's either an admission the A400M can't do what the Herc does, or they're not buying enough.

I was just going to post - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/news/sdsr-2015/

Good news...
6D | 7D | 60D
11-16 f/2.8 | 24-105 IS L | 70-300 IS USM | 50 f/1.4 | 100 f/2.8 | 400 f/5.6

st24

Post by st24 »

XX752 wrote:I think the Sentry force is back as a single sdn operator now - No 8..

54 are still the "OCU" shadow squadron but I don't think they display their markings any more?? :confused:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

st24

Post by st24 »

PeterR wrote:
Slappywag wrote:
iainpeden wrote:Can we start "bidding" on the squadrons which will be revived? I'd start with 43 and 111 for the Typhoons.

It's 19 and 43.

19 was inevitable, good news with 43 though. I'm sure a lot of us would have prefered 56, 74 or 111 but I guess we'll have to keep dreaming for them!

Aren't 56 still extant as the ISR "OCU"??.. :confused:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

ranger703

Post by ranger703 »

Slappywag wrote:
iainpeden wrote:Can we start "bidding" on the squadrons which will be revived? I'd start with 43 and 111 for the Typhoons.

It's 19 and 43.

And how may I ask do you know this? Or are you just assuming that Gills FB post is indeed fact rather than a wish?

Traveller

Post by Traveller »

I don't think so. Did you consider it may be the best vfm for the tax payer in the current time period - that we use 14 current aircraft for a few more years until the need for them may have died down? If we can refurb what are already modern aircraft rather than buy more new at considerable cost then I think that is a good decision.

Where are these 19 confirned ships coming from? If it's 6 T45 and 8 T26 then by deduction does that mean at least 5 of this new cheaper flexible job?

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Traveller wrote:If it's 6 T45 and 8 T26 then by deduction does that mean at least 5 of this new cheaper flexible job?
Yes.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Russ

Post by Russ »

The Herc can do things the A400M can't and the A400M can do things the Herc can't, so they compliment each other pretty well. I always thought the OSD of 2022 was a bit harsh on the C-130J fleet.

All-in-all, I'd say it was a surprisingly good SDSR this time around, better than expected.

T_J

Post by T_J »

I would say that it is in line with more investment in and maintaining special forces capability.

http://www.eliteukforces.info/uk-milita ... s-sdsr.php

GertrudetheMerciless

Post by GertrudetheMerciless »

Russ wrote:The Herc can do things

Like be slow, ugly and very uncomfortable! :grin:

As a point of info relating to a previous point, I think the Poseidon is a hybrid 737-800/900. Fuselage based on one, wings based on the other. An off the shelf purchase too - a revelation for the MoD. It might catch on.