Mosquito

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Red Dragon

Re: Mosquito

Post by Red Dragon »

Well, I've just come home from work too see this message here and on Facebook, GET IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drool: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

I suppose it will be good to see something different back on the display scene. Although I am not that fussed about ww2 warbirds, I imagine it will be popular and well received by many enthusiasts.

DanH

Post by DanH »

Fantastic, and just the positive bit of news that the airshow scene needs right now.
:yahoo:
Always seeking to lower the tone...

https://danhphotography.picfair.com/

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

about the only aircraft with a realistic chance of being restored that would really inspire me to travel a long way to see it as per the vulcan, great news and fingers crossed that it actually happens. - thank you for brightening my day to the original poster :clap:
andygolfer

winner of Air-Britain photo competition 2019

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

Best would be to have the already flyer over here for 2016,
the restore news will be a good few years in the making.

if millions of pounds a year wa raised pretty easy each year for the Vulcan and done so for for 8 years,
getting a few million to buy the mossie should be easy. Peoples Mossie need a begging bow.

Russ

Post by Russ »

Let's not get ahead of ourselves just yet folks. It could be a few years off yet.

King Cobra

Post by King Cobra »

FGR2 wrote:I suppose it will be good to see something different back on the display scene. Although I am not that fussed about ww2 warbirds, I imagine it will be popular and well received by many enthusiasts.

Not that fussed! Have you a pulse?
A Mossie is excellent news and will be a very welcome addition to the airshow scene IMO.

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

Russ wrote:Let's not get ahead of ourselves just yet folks. It could be a few years off yet.

Correct would expect a good few years at least,
alwats thought that the BBMF should sell 2 spits and buy that already flying Mossie,

Petedcollins

Post by Petedcollins »

vulcan558 wrote:
Russ wrote:Let's not get ahead of ourselves just yet folks. It could be a few years off yet.

alwats thought that the BBMF should sell 2 spits and buy that already flying Mossie,

God no!

Can you imagine it, boring flat pass, boring flat pass, highest loop known to man and depart.

Give it to some pilots with some stones :)

Pete

Post by 106500 »

Petedcollins wrote:
vulcan558 wrote:

God no!

Can you imagine it, boring flat pass, boring flat pass, highest loop known to man and depart.

Pete

I recall some concern being expressed at the time about how the previous flying Mossie was flown and its tragic end, albeit I understand this was ultimately a technical malfunction. Perhaps caution in flying should be viewed a bit more positively?

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

Petedcollins wrote:
vulcan558 wrote:

God no!

Pete

You have a small point, plus points it would be flown at a lot more venues then maybe it would
in private hands fighting for bookings and cost etc.
look at how many shows and flypasts the BBMF do each year.

Petedcollins

Post by Petedcollins »

vulcan558 wrote:
Petedcollins wrote:
vulcan558 wrote:

God no!

Pete

You have a small point, plus points it would be flown at a lot more venues then maybe it would
in private hands fighting for bookings and cost etc.
look at how many shows and flypasts the BBMF do each year.

I'd take 5 well flown displays that show off the capabilities of the aircraft vs 50 fly pasts at 400ft

Pete

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

I have to say that I heard this news with rather mixed feelings. Seeing a Mosquito in the air again would be fantastic but it is not the safest aircraft to fly with single-engine handling being particularly challenging as the crash of RR299 proved. A large gap between lift off speed and single engine safety speed didn't help.
I believe the RAF stopped training pilots in single engine handling as they were losing too many aircrew.
An aircraft to be treated with caution.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Blenheim, Beaufighter and Mosquito in formation at the 2020 Duxford show - we can all dream!
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Ledhead27
UKAR Staff
Location: Inverness (and occasionally 20,000ft - if the aircraft can make it that high)

Post by Ledhead27 »

Bloody brilliant news to see a Mossie in the sky, one aircraft I've been desperate to see for ages!
"PostMan, FuelMan, SpamCan, NoPlan, CivviMan, Dan"

UKAR Party Plane Captain

4 out of 5 baguettes

st24

Post by st24 »

Petedcollins wrote:God no!

Pete

Yep nearly 60 years of safe, accident free airshowing; how dare they! And the BBMF loop?! If you're confusing loop with roll then I don't put much faith in the reports of a rolling Vulcan from the general public..
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Arthur Tee

Post by Arthur Tee »

Excellent news! :clap:

I was fortunate enough to see RR299 perform a low-level barrel roll (whilst passing another airfield enroute to its' Hawarden base) many years ago - it was fantastic!

Would I want to see it do that again? Most definitely NOT!

Arthur
Canon PowerShot SX40HS - It's not what you've got - it's what you do with it!

Seahornet

Post by Seahornet »

Petedcollins wrote:
vulcan558 wrote:

God no!

Pete

You do realise that if RR299 had always been flown in a more 'boring' manner, we wouldn't be needing a new Mossie, now...? :question:
And as the smart ship grew,
In stature, grace and hue,
In shadowy silent distance grew the iceberg too....

Petedcollins

Post by Petedcollins »

Seahornet wrote:
Petedcollins wrote:
vulcan558 wrote:

God no!

Pete

You do realise that if RR299 had always been flown in a more 'boring' manner, we wouldn't be needing a new Mossie, now...? :question:

You do of course realise that the loss of RR299 was down to a combination of the flight and the failure at the same time, the aircraft was being flown well within its capability and had the failure happened during a level flight then it would have had a better chance. But you can't live life for fear of a failure.

Should I not drive my car above 50mph in case I have a failure as I would have a better chance of survival?

Going by that methodology next years aerobatics world cup would be an interesting affair.

If we go by every accident as caused by pushing aircraft beyond their limits as the cause then we will end up with warbirds only ever doing circuits or taxi runs...

Pete

Seahornet

Post by Seahornet »

Petedcollins wrote:

You do of course realise that the loss of RR299 was down to a combination of the flight and the failure at the same time, the aircraft was being flown well within its capability and had the failure happened during a level flight then it would have had a better chance. But you can't live life for fear of a failure.

Should I not drive my car above 50mph in case I have a failure as I would have a better chance of survival?

Going by that methodology next years aerobatics world cup would be an interesting affair.

If we go by every accident as caused by pushing aircraft beyond their limits as the cause then we will end up with warbirds only ever doing circuits or taxi runs...

Pete

Generally, I don't disagree with you; there always has to be a risk / benefit balance, even if the benefit is just achieving a more dynamic display. And I certainly didn't say that '299 was being flown beyond its capability!

The accident initiated with aircraft nose-up, with decaying airspeed, and in a ~90° bank. The 'high' engine lost power due to a carburettor setting error (which only came into play because of the neutral / negative G). In this attitude, the engine failure caused a nose-up yaw, and the subsequent stall / incipient spin could not be managed within the available height. So the manner in which the aircraft was being flown, despite being within the aircraft's capabilities, was both contributory to the engine failure, and the prime cause of the crew's inability to manage that failure.

All I'm suggesting is that "Give it to some pilots with some stones" perhaps isn't the most appropriate message here, especially post-Shoreham...
And as the smart ship grew,
In stature, grace and hue,
In shadowy silent distance grew the iceberg too....

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Seahornet wrote:All I'm suggesting is that "Give it to some pilots with some stones" perhaps isn't the most appropriate message here, especially post-Shoreham...

One might also consider it a little unfair to BBMF pilots who fly their historic aircraft iaw MOD policy and whose actual day job involves stones of a size I can only dream of......

John

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

King Cobra wrote:
FGR2 wrote:I suppose it will be good to see something different back on the display scene. Although I am not that fussed about ww2 warbirds, I imagine it will be popular and well received by many enthusiasts.

A Mossie is excellent news and will be a very welcome addition to the airshow scene IMO.

Warbirds aren't really my thing, I don't really remember anything that grabbed my attention when the RR one was flying. The only display I remember was at St Mawgan, and that was because they were dropping down low into the valley near Mawgan Porth.

I won't complain about seeing it if it happens, but I am not going to be making special journeys just to see it. That is just me though, I am sure lots of people will be pleased to see it.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

FGR2 wrote:
King Cobra wrote:

Warbirds aren't really my thing, I don't really remember anything that grabbed my attention when the RR one was flying. The only display I remember was at St Mawgan, and that was because they were dropping down low into the valley near Mawgan Porth.

I won't complain about seeing it if it happens, but I am not going to be making special journeys just to see it. That is just me though, I am sure lots of people will be pleased to see it.

Eh different views 'n' all that. It's no bad thing. I remember not being too fussed about warbirds, then I saw Peter Teichman's P-40 display at Cosford and for some reason, it was just awesome, probably the noise as much as anything else. Then all of a sudden, almost overnight, I was a huge fan of warbirds!

So perhaps a Mossie back over here might be the bug that bites you! :grin:

Steve p

Post by Steve p »

Great news, now what about a Beaufighter? :ninja:

Pat Murphy

Post by Pat Murphy »

Seahornet, an accurate description of what happened. I had the privilege to work on '299 as an apprentice for a short while and took away some fond memories of that time. Things that stick in the mind...The smell of hydraulic oil, leather, and wood (sadly the total lack of smell, as it was new, was my biggest disappointment of getting a good look around KA114 in NZ. I so wanted to smell it again :sad: ) Also I remember a small sign stuck to the instrument panel that mentioned the aircraft was to maintain positive G at all times and no aerobatics were allowed. It was desperately sad when she was lost. Probably why I want to see one fly more than any other aircraft, with the possible exception of a certain English Electric type :heyhey:
Last edited by Pat Murphy on Fri 06 Nov 2015, 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.