Mr Blue Sky returns to the Airshow Circuit for 2016!

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Re: Mr Blue Sky returns to the Airshow Circuit for 2016!

Post by Wissam24 »

Traveller wrote:Incredible that in times of so called cut backs the MOD (RAF mainly) continue to paint aircraft in certain schemes. The odd tail I can support. An entire twin commuter aircraft I cannot. Utter waste of money though I would like to know what the cost is of painting aircraft of this or fighter size.

Happy for the pilots and those that seem over-excited on here about it, but it's a beer break for me also.

PR isn't a waste of money
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Would it actually be a paint-job , though ?
I'd have thought a vinyl overlay would be more likely ( seem to recall it's much cheaper than a repaint )
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

With not long left for the King Air, a full repaint is a distinct possibility.

GertrudetheMerciless

Post by GertrudetheMerciless »

It's just a stop-gap until the Grob 120TP display arrives on the scene. :smile: :grin:

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Traveller wrote:Incredible that in times of so called cut backs the MOD (RAF mainly) continue to paint aircraft in certain schemes. The odd tail I can support. An entire twin commuter aircraft I cannot. Utter waste of money though I would like to know what the cost is of painting aircraft of this or fighter size.

The cost of special paint schemes for RAF aircraft doesn't come from the defence budget. They are either paid for from SIF fundraising or sponsored by industry. :icecream:

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

PeterR wrote:The cost of special paint schemes for RAF aircraft doesn't come from the defence budget. They are either paid for from SIF fundraising or sponsored by industry. :icecream:

Interesting, did not know that, thanks for the insider knowledge. Personally I prefer the all-over Camel Scheme, however I wouldn't mind any of the three being chosen as it's a display that I'm oddly looking forward to :biggrin:
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

chipmunk22

Post by chipmunk22 »

Brilliant :yahoo:
I think the King Air was always flown really well,no,it`s not a Typhoon or Tornado,but I am grateful for any display under current (forever!!) ?? conditions.

Of the three schemes - the camo wins.
Would vote,but not on that twitbook thing. :dizzy:

Look forward to seeing the display.

chipmunk22

Pablo

Post by Pablo »

GertrudetheMerciless wrote:It's just a stop-gap until the Grob 120TP display arrives on the scene. :smile: :grin:

If/when that happens, I wouldn't mind at all! Quite a punchy little thing...

Jamesv9820

Post by Jamesv9820 »

The way you guys are talking there will be 60% of the whole airshow cuing at the toilets/bars while this act is on! hope you all get sorted before the next act!

Its not grey and pointy/noisy but it has been in the past a solid act with some good topside passes and a good finale; I am looking forward to their return to the circuit this year

Maisie

Post by Maisie »

Brevet Cable wrote:Would it actually be a paint-job , though ?
I'd have thought a vinyl overlay would be more likely ( seem to recall it's much cheaper than a repaint )

When I was a RAF painter, jobs like this was all paint, I've never seen a large vinyl job, the largest vinyl I've seen on a RAF aircraft (in my time) was the crests on the tail etc...

I'd like to think it'll be paint, no RAF painters anymore but the civvies are 90% RAF, so it might even be someone I know.
6D | 7D | 60D
11-16 f/2.8 | 24-105 IS L | 70-300 IS USM | 50 f/1.4 | 100 f/2.8 | 400 f/5.6

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

Looking forward to the return!

On another note, why would anyone care when you go to the toilet? Surely this particular brand of snobbery can be kept to oneself? It's not unheard of for pilots of display aircraft to have a browse of these forum's and it just isn't necessary to publicly state that you think a certain act is lunch or toilet hour, or whatever.

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

The 45sq guys/girls have already seen and commented on the remarks on here - thankfully they took it in good spirits!

Rampvan

Post by Rampvan »

capercaillie wrote:
Wissam24 wrote:
Rampvan wrote:
Stratofreighter wrote:
138EAW wrote:45(R) have posted a few ideas for the centenary / display scheme

They are also conducting a poll on the twitter feed https://twitter.com/RAFKingAir

Less than 19 hours left to vote through
https://twitter.com/RAFKingAir/status/6 ... 9455273986
! :shock: :ghost:

Why cant we just have normal one.....why does eerything have to be completely over the top paint wise before people get excited about it ?? :dunno:

Because 45 squadron want to do something commemorate the fact that they've existed for an entire century.

And we've had a standard one display in the past for several years, so why does everything have to be the same.........yawn! Next ridiculous question.

Not ridiculous at all......did people not watch the display when it was in a standard scheme then? do they need to jazz it up to get noticed? no is the answer, its a very good display whatever the scheme, the question was, does it have to be a special paint job for people on here to get all :tongue: :tongue: I dont think it does personally.

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Mon 23 Jul 2018, 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

n0143773

Post by n0143773 »

G-CVIX wrote:Looking forward to the return!

On another note, why would anyone care when you go to the toilet? Surely this particular brand of snobbery can be kept to oneself? It's not unheard of for pilots of display aircraft to have a browse of these forum's and it just isn't necessary to publicly state that you think a certain act is lunch or toilet hour, or whatever.

Just to be clear, the definition of 'snob' is as follows:

A person with an exaggerated respect for high social position or wealth who seeks to associate with social superiors and looks down on those regarded as socially inferior:

My question to you: I confirmed that whilst this particular act is on, I shall be in the toilet. How does that make me a snob, in any way, shape or form? I think you'll find it doesn't. Go swallow a dictionary - you might educate yourself on the correct use of the English language.

Back on topic - if they paint the King Air in the camo scheme, I might try and go to a urinal with a window - that way I can see the scheme, and take a leak, at the same time.

jon93

Post by jon93 »

I for one thoroughly enjoyed the King Air display when it was around (nothing beats a good Khe Sanh approach) and look forward to seeing it return. I've never had a toilet break aircraft, probably down to the fact I go before and after the flying display and not in between.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

jon93 wrote:I for one thoroughly enjoyed the King Air display when it was around (nothing beats a good Khe Sanh approach) and look forward to seeing it return. I've never had a toilet break aircraft, probably down to the fact I go before and after the flying display and not in between.

You'll enjoy the King Air display even more this then as its painted up as a camel......... :joystick: :sweat:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

Alanko

Post by Alanko »

n0143773 wrote:Just to be clear, the definition of 'snob' is as follows:

A person with an exaggerated respect for high social position or wealth who seeks to associate with social superiors and looks down on those regarded as socially inferior:

That is but one definition. The simple definition of snobbery, via Merriam Webster, is: "the behavior or attitude of people who think they are better than other people."

In this case you, or whoever, feels that an RAF King Air display is not worthy of your/their attention or time, and that you, or they, would better spend the time evacuating your/their bowels; intentionally crude imagery to further drive home the message that the display is of little or no significance.

Besides, if you are spending more than a couple of minutes in the toilet you might have some sort of medical issue that needs taken care of. :tongue2:

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

Alanko wrote:
n0143773 wrote:Besides, if you are spending more than a couple of minutes in the toilet you might have some sort of medical issue that needs taken care of. :tongue2:

I can spend an hour on the bog, as long as I've got my phone with me :grin: Admittedly, I wouldn't do it at an airshow though

n0143773

Post by n0143773 »

Alanko wrote:
n0143773 wrote:Just to be clear, the definition of 'snob' is as follows:

That is but one definition. The simple definition of snobbery, via Merriam Webster, is: "the behavior or attitude of people who think they are better than other people."

In this case you, or whoever, feels that an RAF King Air display is not worthy of your/their attention or time, and that you, or they, would better spend the time evacuating your/their bowels; intentionally crude imagery to further drive home the message that the display is of little or no significance.

Besides, if you are spending more than a couple of minutes in the toilet you might have some sort of medical issue that needs taken care of. :tongue2:

Despite your rather protracted reply, you still fail to demonstrate that I am a snob.

The definition that you have searched for yourself, to try and prove a point, still doesn't fit. Stating that I will visit the toilet during the King Air display in no way says 'I am better than other people'. It only confirms that I have no interest in watching a King Air display, which has absolutely no relation, either directly or indirectly, to any other person(s) whatsoever. Thus, you can not say I am a snob.

You have no right to label me a snob, as you have no evidence to demonstrate that is the case.

Phil Standfield

Post by Phil Standfield »

Not sure what the fuss about the King Air is all about, it is a Flying display at an Air show oddly enough. I go to Air shows to see Aircraft do what they are built for that is to fly. Now if someone doesn't like any particular display that is up to them but i/Pilots dont need to know what they are doing, but i look at it that if a Pilot is willing to take off and display an Aircraft and to risk their life for our entertainment then at least the least i can do is to try to watch and see them display whether i enjoy that display are not even if i want the Toilet or food.
I will be there from Thursday to Sunday night and enjoy whatever RIAT is lucky enough to get, bearing in mind RIAT can ask for whatever it is up to that Airforce/Arm to send anything.
Roll on July
Stan

Alanko

Post by Alanko »

n0143773 wrote:Despite your rather protracted reply, you still fail to demonstrate that I am a snob.

The definition that you have searched for yourself, to try and prove a point, still doesn't fit. Stating that I will visit the toilet during the King Air display in no way says 'I am better than other people'. It only confirms that I have no interest in watching a King Air display, which has absolutely no relation, either directly or indirectly, to any other person(s) whatsoever. Thus, you can not say I am a snob.

You have no right to label me a snob, as you have no evidence to demonstrate that is the case.

You must be great at parties!

Sundowner

Post by Sundowner »

Well, at least while you folks bugger off to the bog or where ever it'll free up some space for the rest of us, take your time , don't rush back. :wink: :wink:

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

Sundowner wrote:Well, at least while you folks bugger off to the bog or where ever it'll free up some space for the rest of us, take your time , don't rush back. :wink: :wink:

+1 :up:
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

MC hammer

Post by MC hammer »

n0143773 wrote:
G-CVIX wrote:Looking forward to the return!

Just to be clear, the definition of 'snob' is as follows:

My question to you: I confirmed that whilst this particular act is on, I shall be in the toilet. How does that make me a snob, in any way, shape or form? I think you'll find it doesn't. Go swallow a dictionary - you might educate yourself on the correct use of the English language.

Back on topic - if they paint the King Air in the camo scheme, I might try and go to a urinal with a window - that way I can see the scheme, and take a leak, at the same time.

What happens if you have just been to the toilet when the King Air is about to take off? Do you decide to revisit, just so you can miss the display?
What if the urinal window is facing the wrong way?
What if it displays last thing at RIAT, you might be bursting by then?

Anyway, hope it comes to Eastbourne, or more specifically, 400 feet around Beachy Head.
Special scheme = more interesting for photographers, that's why people get a bit excited. Me and my camera look forward to seeing it.