2016: The Biggest Season In History - The Enthusiast's Role

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Pringles

Re: 2016: The Biggest Season In History - The Enthusiast's R

Post by Pringles »

Aaand Throckmorton follows 4 days before the show, as they have only just received the bill for the exorbitant safety fees :wall:

[fb-post]https://m.facebook.com/throckmortonairshow/photos/a.167793169950316.43997.159899657406334/1150696511659972/?type=3[/fb-post]
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

Slappywag

Post by Slappywag »

Going to have to stop showering and watch trains at this rate. :down:

strangelookingalien

Post by strangelookingalien »

Absolutely disgusting behaviour by the CAA.

Nobody wins.

Ian G
UKAR Staff

Post by Ian G »

If you read the whole post, it really is disgusting behaviour and the organisers have really said it as it is. You can really feel how gutted they must be, especially when it mentions the personal strain people have been under. I bet it wasn't an easy decision to take but unfortunately the only one they felt they could take.
Garf's website and Flickr Photostream

"Which road can I close for you today?"

#tapestries

Slappywag

Post by Slappywag »

Ian G wrote:If you read the whole post, it really is disgusting behaviour and the organisers have really said it as it is. You can really feel how gutted they must be, especially when it mentions the personal strain people have been under. I bet it wasn't an easy decision to take but unfortunately the only one they felt they could take.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's more to this than meets the eye. This kind of thing shouldn't be a surprise in the week leading to the show. Advance sales certainly weren't doing too well.

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

Guess it may not be just Throckmorton to have issues with the new rules.
The Victory show is having issues on cost of aircraft and the layout of the flying, if any this year.
flying pushed back will put them in the next field after that you are in the Village.
Does not look good, guess it may just go back to just the reanactment only like it 1st started out has.

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

After last year's shambles over non-ticket holders getting in for free and poor (non-existant) traffic management, poor ticket sales are hardly a surprise either. (Remember the drop in crowd numbers following RIAT 2002?)

It's a shame, but as Slappywag points out, none of the extra costs (CAA, Insurance etc) should come as a last minute surprise.

Just goes to show the support Airshows now require from the paying public.

Alanko

Post by Alanko »

strangelookingalien wrote:Absolutely disgusting behaviour by the CAA.

Nobody wins.

Surely the CAA wins? Fewer Airshows gives them a lot less to worry about?

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Sorry, you don't cancel an event four days out for the reasons given.

They'll have known the increased costs for months beforehand.

My thinking is poor ticket sales, on the back of an appalling line-up and last year's traffic shambles (and subsequent Facebook postings), coupled with a dodgy weather forecast.

Cut their losses and run.

One hopes refunds are issued in full at the first opportunity.

Some quite breathtaking replies, apparently from one of the organisers, in the comments below this story: http://m.worcesternews.co.uk/news/14544 ... nts-anchor

We have tried and announced an amazing line up but for you negative public you have won.. you have your wish RIP Throckmorton.

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

Slappywag wrote:Going to have to stop showering and watch trains at this rate. :down:

Watching trains is issue to nowadays too. Better stay at home to be safe.
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

As I've said before with regards to the Minehead Summer Festival, the CAA can be used as a convenient scapegoat at the moment. The official statement from the Throckmorton event organiser says they only received their DA today and that some display pilots are still waiting to receive CAA approval, it sounds very 6 of one half a dozen of the other here.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Thumper wrote:As I've said before with regards to the Minehead Summer Festival, the CAA can be used as a convenient scapegoat at the moment. The official statement from the Throckmorton event organiser says they only received their DA today and that some display pilots are still waiting to receive CAA approval, it sounds very 6 of one half a dozen of the other here.

Throckmorton lost a lot of credibility and goodwill over last year's fiasco, as the newspaper comments indicate.

The public aren't about to forget how they were treated in a hurry. Nor are they stupid enough not to see the proposed line-up for what is was - "weak" is being generous.
Last edited by Dan O'Hagan on Thu 09 Jun 2016, 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alanko

Post by Alanko »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:Some quite breathtaking replies, apparently from one of the organisers, in the comments below this story: http://m.worcesternews.co.uk/news/14544 ... nts-anchor

Very unprofessional responses there!

Modern day train spotting must be joint-equal with modern day civilian aviation spotting? Not a whole lot of variation or surprises there. I went to see Flying Scotsman when it finally arrived up here, and Network Rail (etc) had to keep very quiet about the arrival time. This was because spotters had wandered onto the tracks to photograph it! Cretinous behaviour from a select few, with big cameras, ruining it for the rest of us... surely isolated to the realm of trainspotting. :whistle:

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:Sorry, you don't cancel an event four days out for the reasons given.

They'll have known the increased costs for months beforehand.

My thinking is poor ticket sales, on the back of an appalling line-up and last year's traffic shambles (and subsequent Facebook postings), coupled with a dodgy weather forecast.

Cut their losses and run.

One hopes refunds are issued in full at the first opportunity.

Some quite breathtaking replies, apparently from one of the organisers, in the comments below this story: http://m.worcesternews.co.uk/news/14544 ... nts-anchor

We have tried and announced an amazing line up but for you negative public you have won.. you have your wish RIP Throckmorton.

I find myself agreeing with you again. Last year was an utter shambles and the way the dealt with it was terrible. Telling porkies about accidents, being abusive to people that were, quite rightly, cheesed off. It's no surprise that people decided against returning.

King Cobra

Post by King Cobra »

Slappywag wrote:Going to have to stop showering and watch trains at this rate. :down:

Oi! I watch trains and shower thank you very much. :)

King Cobra

Post by King Cobra »

Alanko wrote:
Dan O'Hagan wrote:Some quite breathtaking replies, apparently from one of the organisers, in the comments below this story: http://m.worcesternews.co.uk/news/14544 ... nts-anchor

Modern day train spotting must be joint-equal with modern day civilian aviation spotting? Not a whole lot of variation or surprises there. I went to see Flying Scotsman when it finally arrived up here, and Network Rail (etc) had to keep very quiet about the arrival time. This was because spotters had wandered onto the tracks to photograph it! Cretinous behaviour from a select few, with big cameras, ruining it for the rest of us... surely isolated to the realm of trainspotting. :whistle:

Actually old chap it's almost entirely Mr. and Mrs. Average turning up to see Flying Scotsman pass through their neighbourhood who are doing the trespassing as they haven't a clue about the rules.

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

I knew very little over what happened at Throckmorton last year and obviously there are 2 sides to it, 1 being those attached to the show who will obviously use any means possible to try and come out of it with their repuation intact and the other being the public. A jack knifed lorry causing huge delays is not their fault, however, people are questioning that, what's the truth? I don't know what the truth is but those newspaper comments don't come across as professional. The article states they only received their DA yesterday, a mere 2 days before the show and they were aware of pilots having not yet been approved by the CAA. Why on earth were they pushing ticket sales a mere 20 hours ago on Facebook? I know the recent safety notice has not helped matters but Throckmorton themselves have previously stated they knew the costs would at least double in February this year and they announced in April that Throckmorton had been given the go ahead by the CAA pending some finalisation, plenty of time to sit down with a calculator and ask can we do this!

As for the line up being advertised as 'out of this world' I have no idea what Throckmorton were thinking writing that, they had 9 aircraft displaying, that's the same number as Plymouth Armed Forces Day this year (not advertised as an outright airshow) and I actually cannot think of any airshow which advertises itself as something big and special which has just 9 aircraft as their entire display.

The whole thing is quite embarassing and a common trait in people who have been caught out lying or embarassed is aggression, seems to fit with some of the responses.

duxfordhawk

Post by duxfordhawk »

It is looking like this could be my last year of attending airshows(this is assuming nothing changes for the better), I have been going to them most of my life and feel lucky I lived through the heydays of the 1980's and 90's and saw so many amazing/interesting aircraft, I have so many fond memories.
Now it seems more and more each day the CAA are going to kill off the air display industry totally with constant new regulations, all of which seem to be more illogical and complicated. It all feels underhand and part of me wishes they had been open and just out right ban air displays, instead of forcing shows and acts to cancel by drowning them in paperwork and constantly changing the rules.
If the latest regulation of a minimum height of 500 feet is applied along with the other display distances/separation, the whole feel and of energy of seeing and hearing an aircraft displayed will be gone, and for me the sight,smell and sound is a vital part of any display.
For me I still get that feel of energy at Motorsports events and I can see me heading into that area more and more, I have to confess I don't get train spotting, I work on the railway and would rather put pins in my eyes than photograph or even watch any modern trains, as they just don't have any character or anything else interesting.
Martin
To see my Photos go to
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dxhawk/

Chris IL-76

Post by Chris IL-76 »

It's all doom and gloom here....might put my head in a cold bucket of water.

Fairford here I come! lol

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

King Cobra wrote:
Alanko wrote:

Actually old chap it's almost entirely Mr. and Mrs. Average turning up to see Flying Scotsman pass through their neighbourhood who are doing the trespassing as they haven't a clue about the rules.

Really? I feel like the majority of the public wouldn't walk onto train tracks just to see a train out of ignorance...
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Alanko

Post by Alanko »

Judging by their dress code and approximate age I would say the following people are your typical trainspotters, and not simply random members of the public.

http://www.northumberlandgazette.co.uk/news/local-news/police-release-pictures-of-flying-scotsman-spotters-wanted-for-track-trespass-in-northumberland-1-7953075

Having given it more thought, I don't see random members of the public even bothering to get this close. Who cares more about getting a good close shot of Flying Scotsman, spotters or members of the public?

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Alanko wrote:Judging by their dress code and approximate age I would say the following people are your typical trainspotters, and not simply random members of the public.

http://www.northumberlandgazette.co.uk/news/local-news/police-release-pictures-of-flying-scotsman-spotters-wanted-for-track-trespass-in-northumberland-1-7953075

Having given it more thought, I don't see random members of the public even bothering to get this close. Who cares more about getting a good close shot of Flying Scotsman, spotters or members of the public?

I must say looking at those pictures - they're all standing further back than if they'd been on a station platform. It's not like they're those rally fans who try to slap the car on the roof as it passes.

As for if they're trainspotters, or normal people, not one of them has a notebook, binoculars or flask of weak lemon drink.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

The moron's that are the CAA have only put more pressure on pilots, making them change their routines and putting them and the public more at risk. And if something does happen will they be the ones to blame? Course not, the bbc and many more media outlets will make the airshow scene look like a fatal event. I'd be more than happy to join in a protest if we could get as many people as possible. Not one civilian killed in an UK show since 1952, now all this :wall: :mad:

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

You've actually hit the nail on the head though Airshowhammer, in my opinion it's actually the media who put the final nail in the coffin for airshows. Their disgraceful, graphic, savage reporting of Shoreham, dragging up events in the past with a horrifying headline and their subsequent scaremongering is what's done it. They do indeed paint airshows as a fatal event to visit. Having been a visitor to the Isle of Man TT and the Manx GP I can tell you that there's always at least 1 fatal accident there every single year, several times involving spectators and/or marshalls. Spectators are able to line the track, literally pop your head over a dry stone wall to take a photo and you're likely to lose it thats how close you can get. Front page news? No. Increased crowd separation? No. Ban it? No.

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

Shame about Throckmorton, went too the 1st couple of shows and was pretty good for a new show.
With it being Run by only 2 people set up around a kitchen table through the year then you have to respect that.

Guess it got to big for them to quick.
what I will say thou if 2 people can set up and run a small airshow, with the the amount of so called
experts on here, then whats stopping a big team from here taking over Throckmorton, should be a piece of p..s.