A poll - will CAA changes affect your habits?

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum

based on CAA changes, will you visit:

The same number of shows as usual
21%
The same number of shows as usual
21%
Fewer shows
22%
Fewer shows
22%
More shows
1%
More shows
1%
Undecided
5%
Undecided
5%

Total votes: 404

CJS

A poll - will CAA changes affect your habits?

Post by CJS »

In relation to Dan's thread, I'm interested to see if, in the short to medium term, our airshow habits are going to change based on the recent CAA regs changes.

Will you be visiting your usual shows? Have you decided to give some a miss? Maybe the jury's still out or perhaps, just perhaps, you'll attend more shows in a show of support for the organisers?

My feeling is that a) Joe public (who likely attend one or maybe two shows per year) will continue to do so as they will probably be less informed or worried about the changes (yes I know there were members of Joe P who were spoken to at OW yesterday. And b) enthusiasts will continue to show their support for the hobby they love, knowing that the one sure fire way to kill it off would be to vote with their feet. Ergo, the short to medium term outlook for airshows this season may well be ok.

Just my take on it and I'm not trying to create another identical thread, this one's more to collect the data on our plans for this season. Who knows, it could be the kind of evidence that can be put to the CAA, especially if enough of us respond.

Clearly if you attend only MAA regulated shows the CAA changes won't directly effect you, but your visiting habits may be different this year and of course the longer term effects could be more widespread. For the purposes of this poll, I'm not interested if you're paying to view from inside or not.

Mods feel free to delete it if you think it hijacks the other thread too much.
With just the slightest bit of finesse, I might have made a little less mess.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Re: A poll - will CAA changes effect your habits?

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Fewer. I'm not paying the same (or in some cases more) for less.

If the shows are as unfulfilling as they were yesterday, then I see no reason to keep going back when I've been there and seen and done it better in the past.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

RS2

Post by RS2 »

Until yesterday I was convinced the new rules wouldn't put me off, after yesterday at Shuttleworth I think other pursuits I'm interested in may now take preference over aviation. I won't ditch shows completely but yesterday was a real blow, as something very special in so many ways, Shuttleworth yesterday became a special collection of aircraft at a great location with good people but with that 'magic' element missing.

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Will almost certainly affect my viewing habits, in the past Flying Legends and RIAT were definites on my calendar, but I'm now having serious doubts about Legends, in fact I'm not sure if I'll be back at Duxford at all. I'll probably still visit Old Warden, but will be more selective on which shows I attend.

I'm now seriously looking at attending more overseas shows - it's sad that it's come to this....

Screechy

Post by Screechy »

Certainly will be doing less UK shows and more on the continent so yes the CAA have effected m habits. Might as well forget about the aviation side of the Victory show from now on as well.

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

Fewer.

Definitely run this poll again at the end of the season and see if this has changed.

JJC

Post by JJC »

jalfrezi wrote:Will almost certainly affect my viewing habits, in the past Flying Legends and RIAT were definites on my calendar, but I'm now having serious doubts about Legends, in fact I'm not sure if I'll be back at Duxford at all. I'll probably still visit Old Warden, but will be more selective on which shows I attend.

I'm now seriously looking at attending more overseas shows - it's sad that it's come to this....

Will display lines at RIAT be changed...?
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

In recent years I have found my 75-300mm lens is not enough for the bigger shows, I am not spending all my savings on a new lens because displays are being pushed back further, if this year means the crowdline is further away than ever before then yes it will affect my habits, I simply won't bother especially if the ticket prices go sky high as well and more acts cancel due to increasing costs, it's an expensive day out already.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the big airshows have lost their charm for me anyway so I am happy with the smaller ones, seafront shows and wings and wheels events, sadly it seems that these could be the ones which suffer the most, we shall have to wait and see but it will primarily be these types of shows which get my support this year because I do fear they are the ones most at risk.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

JJC wrote:Will display lines at RIAT be changed...?

Unless the MAA's regulations have changed since last year ( or change within the next two months ).....No.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

JJC

Post by JJC »

Brevet Cable wrote:

Unless the MAA's regulations have changed since last year ( or change within the next two months ).....No.

That's what I thought, but then saw the poster referring to RIAT and thought it worth clarifying.
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

Maisie

Post by Maisie »

I don't do many, but am looking to do more out the UK now.
6D | 7D | 60D
11-16 f/2.8 | 24-105 IS L | 70-300 IS USM | 50 f/1.4 | 100 f/2.8 | 400 f/5.6

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

Same....I stopped going to air shows for just the flying ages ago. I get just as much enjoyment from walking the static, visiting the (aviation related) trade stalls and just having a day out with friends and acquaintances.
Photography wise I'm pretty useless at flying shots anyway so take offs and landings are my way forward now.
Maybe I'm just getting old and easily pleased.....Don't think I'll ever stop going tho....My first show was probably Colerne in 1972.....Enjoy.....
...Rad shutters auto.

Russ

Post by Russ »

Fewer, definitely. I can only say for certain I'll be at RIAT this year, might change, but hugely difficult to motivate myself for anything else as it stands. The CAA's hysterical knee-jerk reaction can take the bulk of blame for that. :down:

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

I've gone with undecided because I've not attended a show yet this season, but I expect I'll be doing less. This year definitely, I've just changed my car and bought a new camera body so funds are low. Also with living up North it gets expensive travelling to shows as they're mostly down South, I can get a lot more days out locally for the price of one airshow.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

timuss

Post by timuss »

I'm going to stick with it the big test for me will be what Duxford is like in a couple of weeks.
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss

toom317
UKAR Supporter

Post by toom317 »

Last show I did was the last Leuchars show. I only go to photograph the planes flying, so if they are dots in the sky I won't be bothering, or using the naughty fields.
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Sat 11 Aug 2018, 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

JJC wrote:
Brevet Cable wrote:

That's what I thought, but then saw the poster referring to RIAT and thought it worth clarifying.

I go to RIAT to photograph modern military aircraft, the average modern fighter is around 15m long, so I can get by with my camera even though they're displaying at 230m, it's not ideal, but it's Ok.

A WWII fighter is considerably smaller, around 10m long, so at 230m fills even less of the frame, that's what I was getting at. My main shots used to be at the M11 end as the planes banked around the Airspace hangar, I'm unsure whether that will happen now following the rule changes - I guess probably not, so that's why I'll still go to RIAT but I'm unsure about Legends.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

I gave up taking photos years ago but I still want to get great views and sounds. Some of my best ever moments have been on the the tank bank with P-51s diving down over your right shoulder or lovely summer calm evenings at OW where you could wave to the pilots. So its not just about photos: its about noise, spectacle, atmosphere and seeing things that you will never forget. In a way, I am lucky to have seen these things.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Re: A poll - will CAA changes affect your habits?

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

I'm having second thoughts about the Old Warden Navy event next month, so that puts me in 'undecided'. I'll now start with Cosford, I think, and take it from there.

I hope common sense prevails overall, I really do, and that minds remain open in the regulation and appropriate application of regulations.
its time to kick the tyres and light the fires

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151934326@N08/albums

ForestFan1973

Post by ForestFan1973 »

I love aviation, always have. I'm lucky to have been taken (by coach) by my late Dad to shows such as Finningley & Mildenhall. As we know nowadays the choice of shows is much limited, and financially I'm not in a position to travel the length and breadth of UK/Europe. But, I have regularly attended Flying Legends which to me is a great show where one can see these wonderful aeroplanes often roar past quite close, making ones hairs stand up on the back of ones neck! Personally (and perhaps selfishly) if shows such as this are sanitised or stopped it will be a crying shame. I will probably go and drag the wife and daughter again this year, but if the show ends up being a procession of distant flypasts then I doubt I will go again. Who knows though, I need to get my 'hit' from somewhere! As you can tell I am not an expert in these matters or as 'engaged' as some of you (and thank you all for posting wonderful pics - keep up the good work!), but this is just my current thoughts....
Cheers all

Agg
UKAR Staff

Post by Agg »

Traveling from abroad I think Im going to prioritize shows on the continent, Ill be doing RIAT this year, and I was thinking about doing the Duxford show in September, but I think I'll pass on that now.

Ian G
UKAR Staff

Post by Ian G »

It seems with so many of the negative comments that if the CAA are indeed intent on getting rid of airshows, then they've already won. I'm going to stick with the shows that I was planning to go to this year - Shuttleworth events, Duxford, RIAT and The Victory Show - and I hope that over the course of time rules may be altered to tailor different shows. I am 99% certain they probably won't but I think we really do need to voice our concerns. I intend to keep a note of every show I attend this year and I will be contacting each display organisation to let them know my views - not to complain to them but in a hope that they will pass on these comments. It may achieve nothing but I think its worth a try.

What I think is needed is for the negative impact to get in to the media. Having just gone through a rather turbulent time at work with something that was mentioned in a newspaper which snowballed - not me personally, I hasten to add - I couldn't believe the media storm that was created by an individual's comments. As a result, we had BBC, ITV at the gates of our school and although it blew over in a week or so, it's amazing how everyone caught on to one thing. If we could get pilots or display organisers complaining and letting the media know how bad the impacts could be - I mean, we could be talking about losing shows which bring in revenue - perhaps someone might sit up and take notice and do something? Gotta be worth a try at least. I don't want to start taking pictures of trucks just yet. . . . .
Ian Garfield Photography Website!

Flickr Photostream

I should probably be working. Will work for doughnuts.

jingernut

Post by jingernut »

davidjones533 wrote:I seem to be one of the few who goes to shows just to see and hear the aircraft, rather than watch them through a viewfinder. Duxford will be my first show this year so genuinely interested to compare whether the experience is lessened for us non-photographers. From what I've read it's mainly photographers who are declaring the end of the British air show because they can't now see the whites of the pilots eyes through their lenses. I've looked through the pictures from Shuttleworth on here and Twitter and the shots are generally fantastic. I'm not sure how they can be better - but that's probably a lay viewpoint. Do I wish the rules had remained unchanged, of course - but they have and I'm determined not to let it spoil my hobby. I get the impression that many had predetermined not to enjoy themselves before Shuttleworth, in a similar way to folk already writing off other shows before they've even happened. I may feel differently after Duxford, but I can't envisage any scenario in which I'll declare never to go back to a venue again or give up the hobby completely.

I wonder how many photographers would enjoy themselves more if they just left the camera at home, stopped worrying about display lines, and enjoyed the sights and sounds of aircraft. I'm sure people enjoyed themselves at air shows before digital cameras.

Tin hat on.

I agree totally with what you have said. Personally, I believe it's probably the photographers who are worried about these changes more than anyone else (I could well be wrong). I can't wait to get out to some shows this year regardless of the changes.

Pat Murphy

Post by Pat Murphy »

Sadly, it won't be The CAA that stops me attending too many shows this year. It will be work :sad: Ho Hum....