Tracey Curtiss Taylor PT-17 Stearman Incident

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
capercaillie

Re: Tracey Curtiss Taylor PT-17 Stearman Incident

Post by capercaillie »

st24 wrote:Barry Tempest- now there's a blast form the past!

Barry Chuckle will be at the ceremony when she has to give the award back. To me, to you........ :whistle:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Her brass-neck over all this almost has to be admired. How on earth did she fool so many people, for so long?

The likes of Boeing were supporters of hers, not to mention the endless posing with minor Royals. Wasn't there a BBC documentary being filmed too?

A lot of very foolish looking people, and an episode from which no-one emerges with their dignity intact.

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

What an extraordinarily stupid and deceitful woman!!
Listen to that Gipsy music.....

Dragon Rapide

Thoughtful_Flyer

Post by Thoughtful_Flyer »

Not the first time there has been controversy surrounding a Shuttleworth Collection pilot.

GertrudetheMerciless

Post by GertrudetheMerciless »

Brevet Cable wrote:And the unravelling continues , thanks to the ongoing campaign on PPRuNe....

Self-styled "Bird in a Biplane" Tracey Curtis-Taylor faces being stripped of a respected flying award following allegations she made false claims about her flying exploits.
The Light Aircraft Association is set to hear a motion that its Bill Woodhams Trophy, awarded to her in 2015 for flying from Cape Town to Britain, now be rescinded.
The Association will hear the damaging motion at its AGM next month with members believing the trophy was wrongly awarded because it has now emerged she did not fly all the legs of the journey solo.

Good.

Thoughtful_Flyer wrote:Not the first time there has been controversy surrounding a Shuttleworth Collection pilot.

Care to expand?

GUNMAN

Post by GUNMAN »

On the list of HCAP recipients TCT has received the Masters Medal?
Tony

Russ

Post by Russ »

No expert on the legality side of things, but presumably her sponsors could demand their money back?

Pretty disgusting if this is true. :down:

Elliott Marsh

Post by Elliott Marsh »

Thoughtful_Flyer wrote:Not the first time there has been controversy surrounding a Shuttleworth Collection pilot.

TCT was never a Shuttleworth Collection pilot - I'm pretty sure that was also one of the disputed claims made some time ago. Her PT-22 was based at Old Warden and she flew alongside Collection aeroplanes, however, much like most of the other resident non-Collection operators, she was not a Shuttleworth Collection pilot.

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

Having no knowledge of her history is the aviation world surprised by the revelations? Why on earth would she do it?
Listen to that Gipsy music.....

Dragon Rapide

Thoughtful_Flyer

Elliott Marsh wrote:

TCT was never a Shuttleworth Collection pilot - I'm pretty sure that was also one of the disputed claims made some time ago. Her PT-22 was based at Old Warden and she flew alongside Collection aeroplanes, however, much like most of the other resident non-Collection operators, she was not a Shuttleworth Collection pilot.

Interesting.

I'm 90% sure she appeared in at least one of the annual group photographs of collection pilots. I may be wrong but if I get an idle moment I will browse through my copies of the SAVS Prop Swing magazine.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

I know it's an extremely long thread , but if you read the topic on PPRuNe ( http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/579030-tracey-curtis-taylor-merged-threads.html ) all will become clear with regards the various claims made by her or on her behalf.
Essentially , the 'Shuttleworth pilot' appears to have originated from the fact that she once had an aircraft based there.

As for the HCAP award.....yes , it would appear that despite all the evidence proving it's undeserved they've decided to award it to her -- effectively classing her 'achievements' as being similar to those of Tim Peake !
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Thoughtful_Flyer

Brevet Cable wrote:I know it's an extremely long thread , but if you read the topic on PPRuNe ( http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/579030-tracey-curtis-taylor-merged-threads.html ) all will become clear with regards the various claims made by her or on her behalf.
Essentially , the 'Shuttleworth pilot' appears to have originated from the fact that she once had an aircraft based there.

It may well do but that wouldn't explain why she appears in their group photograph(s) - unless I am dreaming!

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

That honour surely falls to Clare Tector, who I seem to recall was described as both the first apprentice pilot and the first female Collection pilot.

Have found a picture on Key from 2010 showing Curtis-Taylor alongside the Collection pilots. Also in the image are other pilots such as Steve Roberts and Peter Holloway who also based their own aircraft at OW at the time. Whilst Peter is now a full Collection pilot with his own aircraft also, for many years I think he solely flew the aircraft from his own fleet.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Thoughtful_Flyer wrote:It may well do but that wouldn't explain why she appears in their group photograph(s) - unless I am dreaming!

As I posted , it's explained somewhere in the PPRuNe topic , probably in at least one of the summarisations in the latter pages by 'Jay Sata'
A quick search of that thread for the word 'Shuttleworth' : http://www.pprune.org/search.php?searchid=4472348

Edited to add...
From that link , a post from 'fwjc' :
Just to make it absolutely clear that in order to be considered a Shuttleworth Collection Pilot, you have to have flown a Collection aeroplane, in an airshow. If anyone can find a picture of Tracey flying in any of the Collection aeroplanes, they'll be expert photoshoppers. Tracey is no more a Collection Pilot than the wonderful Peter Teichmann or the energetic Mark Jeffries; all are visiting display pilots who put on displays in non-Collection aeroplanes.

So it would be like me claiming to be an ex-BTCC driver simply because I once took part in one of the support races to the main BTCC race. :lol:
아직도 숨어있다

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

Tracey has been stripped of her Bill Woodhams Trophy, the first time that's happened in history and rightly so, far more deserving people out there than a liar and cheat.

Veteran member of the LAA Barry Tempest has made some strong comments about her

Barry Tempest LAA wrote:"I think she is a boastful lady who needs bringing down a peg or two."

Apologies for the rag link;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3864984/Self-styled-Bird-Biplane-stripped-prestigious-flying-award-allegations-wasn-t-flying-solo-epic-trips.html

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Not forgetting to read the recent updates on the aforementioned PPRuNe topic.
아직도 숨어있다

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

아직도 숨어있다

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

What a fascinating read the Pprune topic makes! Seems like the most sensible decision has prevailed. :clap:

TKK 140

Post by TKK 140 »

Brevet Cable wrote:Not forgetting to read the recent updates on the aforementioned PPRuNe topic.

Dead link?

T_J

Post by T_J »

TKK 140 wrote:
Brevet Cable wrote:Not forgetting to read the recent updates on the aforementioned PPRuNe topic.

Dead link?

http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/57 ... reads.html

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... trips.html

Tracey has been stripped. ... thankfully only of her award! :lol:

MicrolightDriver

Post by MicrolightDriver »

speedbird2639 wrote:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3864984/Self-styled-Bird-Biplane-stripped-prestigious-flying-award-allegations-wasn-t-flying-solo-epic-trips.html

Tracey has been stripped. ... thankfully only of her award! :lol:

No misogyny here then! :whistle:

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Numbers 32:23

Both she and her team/sponsors should therefore apply the advice contained in Proverbs 28:13

:biggrin:
아직도 숨어있다

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Post on PPRuNe ( currently post #2107 , but with the editing & post deletions which regularly occur on that thread , that number may change ) detailing a statement released by TC-T.
The most interesting part is :
5. Mr Rutherford has engaged in an online media campaign to discredit me and the BIAB team members by making false assertions concerning the expeditions and the roles of team members. I have previously stated publicly that I consider this to be part of a course of conduct designed to cause damage and distress. Mr Rutherford’s campaign is also promoted by his associate, Mike Flynn (who also operates under the pseudonym, Jay Sata) in the press and in online forums, and in particular PPRuNe. The actions of Mr Rutherford are now the subject of legal proceedings and have been reported to the police.

Am I the only one who can't see this ending well for her ?
아직도 숨어있다

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

It's an unseemly mess of a situation, which could surely have been nipped in the bud months ago if she'd come clean and admitted that Ewald Gritsch had indeed been sat in the front cockpit on a number of legs of her flights. Taking Rutherford to court will only result in more dirty linen being aired in public, and won't cover any of the parties in glory.

As I see it, she never actually claimed the flights to be "solo", at least not consistently, but certainly could have better corrected media outlets that labelled them as such, as she had ample opportunity to. This should also be a case in point for the media to examine itself, and to stop swallowing press and PR releases verbatim without asking questions.

There's been something of a vendetta on PPRUNE especially, which appears to have got the blood-letting they wanted, but no-one emerges with any great credit, and the name of historic aviation has been dragged through the dirt - and now possibly the courts too.

Surely "fair cop" would have been the better response, and the furore would have died away a long time ago.