Canberra WK163 to be restored to flight

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Marka1967

Re: Canberra WK163 to be restored to flight

Post by Marka1967 »

paullangford wrote:Hopefully they won't use the same lot that were on CH5's Monster Moves, dismantling and transporting the prototype Canberra from Coventry to Newquay.
That was painful to watch.......... :oops:

Yeah that was painful to watch, they looked a complete bunch of amateurs. I would think the vtts will use their own engineers, in doing so they will get to know the airframe and gain important knowledge. The vtts have had and will have a load of stick for not doing this or for doing that but you can't please everybody but I really would like to see this Canberra fly again so good luck to them and I may even donate which will be a first.

paullangford

Post by paullangford »

Marka1967 wrote:
paullangford wrote:Hopefully they won't use the same lot that were on CH5's Monster Moves, dismantling and transporting the prototype Canberra from Coventry to Newquay.

Yeah that was painful to watch, they looked a complete bunch of amateurs. I would think the vtts will use their own engineers, in doing so they will get to know the airframe and gain important knowledge. The vtts have had and will have a load of stick for not doing this or for doing that but you can't please everybody but I really would like to see this Canberra fly again so good luck to them and I may even donate which will be a first.

I've got every confidence in the VTTS doing a fantastic job :up:

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

I've got a feeling that the company who dismantled 'VN799' are no longer trading. Hope this time round they remember to drain all fuel tanks beforehand... :oops:

stratocaster

Post by stratocaster »

If this can be done, then I'll enjoy the sight and sound of a Canberra in the skies once again. Those aircraft were 1 of 3 of my late father's favourites when he served with the RAF. I'll look at the finer points of the VTTS Canberra project,and then decide from there.
Card carrying aviation addict!

MicrolightDriver

Post by MicrolightDriver »

GJD Aero Tech will apparently be the contractors moving WK163 ( subject to VTTS acquiring the airframe itself of course! ). Previous experience with Canberras and the same people who moved the VC10 from Bruntingthorpe to Cosford according to the Newsletter...

GertrudetheMerciless

Post by GertrudetheMerciless »

MicrolightDriver wrote:GJD Aero Tech will apparently be the contractors moving WK163 ( subject to VTTS acquiring the airframe itself of course! ). Previous experience with Canberras and the same people who moved the VC10 from Bruntingthorpe to Cosford according to the Newsletter...

And the same people who own and operate the VC10 at Bruntingthorpe.

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

GertrudetheMerciless wrote:
MicrolightDriver wrote:GJD Aero Tech will apparently be the contractors moving WK163 ( subject to VTTS acquiring the airframe itself of course! ). Previous experience with Canberras and the same people who moved the VC10 from Bruntingthorpe to Cosford according to the Newsletter...

And the same people who own and operate the VC10 at Bruntingthorpe.

And one of the Buccaneers I believe?
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

MicrolightDriver

An update to G-INFO

tommercer
UKAR Supporter

Post by tommercer »

Mark: G-CTTS
Current Reg. Date: 03/06/2016
Previous ID: WK163

Oh God, they're actually going for 'Canberra To The Sky' aren't they?

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

:tumbleweed: :surrender:
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Top quality trolling by the trust there. I can just picture them laughing as they submitted the reg.

Reds Rolling

Post by Reds Rolling »

Gregg wrote:Top quality trolling by the trust there. I can just picture them laughing as they submitted the reg.

Indeed, and it didn't take long for them to get a bite! :clap: :lol:

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Nope. Like shooting fish in a barrel. With a really, really big gun.

T_J

Post by T_J »

tommercer wrote:Mark: G-CTTS
Current Reg. Date: 03/06/2016
Previous ID: WK163

Oh God, they're actually going for 'Canberra To The Sky' aren't they?

Someone in Italy owns the following. Registered 5th May 2016

http://servicehostnet.com/domain/canberratothesky.org

tommercer
UKAR Supporter

Post by tommercer »

Yep! At present it's a redirect to http://www.vulcantothesky.org/ so that's all but confirmed it...

MicrolightDriver

Intention is to have the airframe at Doncaster by the end of July, according to the Newsletter. Caveats apply.

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

From today's newsletter:
Very soon, contractors will start the dismantling of WK163 to its major sections ahead of preparations to transport and reassemble her in the hangar at Doncaster, before a deep survey to task out the full extent of the restoration project.
Just got me thinking, wouldn't it be easier to do the survey before it is put back together? You might get better access to some areas, I'd thought.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

Rebecca_1984

Post by Rebecca_1984 »

To ensure WK163 is not exposed to the elements any more than she needs to be, we have appointed contractors ahead of having the full funding in place to cover the dismantling, transport and re-assembly of the aircraft, so we can get the aircraft under cover at Doncaster just as soon as possible. This is a large commitment and of course, as a charity, we are looking for public support to recover this cost.

The above is a quote from the latest e-mail update, can anyone else see the potential for things to go horribly wrong here, what happens if the money is not forthcoming and the jet ends up in bits stuck at Coventry.

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

Wow that really is quite ballsy (to be read as stupid). I wonder if my local exotic car dealer will have a Lambo delivered to me tomorrow, I promise I'll get the money to him but it might take a while as I am asking for donations, it also might not happen, who knows but I'm sure he'll do the deal!

IP1960

Post by IP1960 »

I haven't been to Coventry since they announced the Doncaster plans - is she still in the ex CAF hanger? Can any XV232 or WR963 team/visitor confirm this? I was hoping for a pre-dismantling peek at her on the 9th (if access is possible of course :biggrin: ). I realise the photos all show her outside but I hope she hasn't been evicted from the hanger yet?

GertrudetheMerciless

Post by GertrudetheMerciless »

Rebecca_1984 wrote:
To ensure WK163 is not exposed to the elements any more than she needs to be, we have appointed contractors ahead of having the full funding in place to cover the dismantling, transport and re-assembly of the aircraft, so we can get the aircraft under cover at Doncaster just as soon as possible. This is a large commitment and of course, as a charity, we are looking for public support to recover this cost.

The above is a quote from the latest e-mail update, can anyone else see the potential for things to go horribly wrong here, what happens if the money is not forthcoming and the jet ends up in bits stuck at Coventry.

Seeing as who the contractor is (one with a record of preservation and generosity too - ie Black Mike's preservation) I suspect we can all be reasonably confident that should it all go to pot with CTTS, the aircraft may well have a future elsewhere.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Worst-case scenario here is that money runs out, and BOTH their airframes end up homeless.

What assurances, I wonder, have the CAA given that a civilian operator will be allowed, in the current climate, to fly a vintage jet bomber? Since Shoreham this is a very different world from the one XH558 flew in.

I worry a Canberra won't mean enough to the public to sustain donations, and this ambition (perhaps over-stretching) has put the future of two lovely aeroplanes in jeopardy.

hunterxf382

Post by hunterxf382 »

IP1960 wrote:I haven't been to Coventry since they announced the Doncaster plans - is she still in the ex CAF hangar? Can any XV232 or WR963 team/visitor confirm this? I was hoping for a pre-dismantling peek at her on the 9th (if access is possible of course :biggrin: ). I realise the photos all show her outside but I hope she hasn't been evicted from the hangar yet?

That poor Canberra has been stuck outside all winter, in fact probably a bit longer as it has become a very familiar sight to us when arriving to work on our Shackleton.....

Exposure to the elements for far longer than some imagine I'm sure, and not one sign of any care & maintenance whilst she has been out there :sad:
Pete Buckingham
Volunteer in Aviation
Former RAF Engineer
http://hunterxf382.weebly.com/

Full Flaps

Post by Full Flaps »

Rebecca_1984 wrote:

Of course, we hear charities telling us every day they are awash with funds, have plenty to deal with the causes they are so passionate about and simply do not need any more cash from the public!

I think you will find it was clearly to say it only ever happens if the public keep giving. Various companies and rich individuals have tried it and failed or simply given up, but with public support, VTST do wish to deliver and I commend their constant desire to do so. Maybe a more positive outlook for the only way forward in historic aviation is needed?

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

Looks like she is on the move

[tweet]https://twitter.com/vulcantothesky/status/753522747909832704[/tweet]
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale