RAF/FAA F-35B's

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
farnboroughrob

RAF/FAA F-35B's

Post by farnboroughrob »

Does anybody know if ZM137 is staying in the UK? What is the plan for the first squadron (OCU?) ? Are we likely to see the two other RAF F-35's join 137 in the near future? Also is it true that the FAA will not operate theirs from Yeovilton?
thanks for any info
Rob

cg_341

Re: RAF/FAA F-35B's

Post by cg_341 »

All three F-35Bs left earlier today, I believe?

As I understand it...

• 17(R) Squadron stood up at Edwards, and is the OEU
  • VMFAT-501, USMC, is currently performing the OCU role with the RAF and FAA assigning its pilots to that unit
  • ? Squadron will stand up in 2019 as the OCU, at RAF Marham
  • 617 Squadron will be the first operational unit, at RAF Marham
  • 809 NAS will be the second operational unit, at RAF Marham
  • ? Squadron will be the third operational unit, at RAF Marham
  • ? NAS(?) will be the fourth operational unit, at RAF Marham

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

You missed
? will be the ? based at ? from the list. :facepalm:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

138EAW

Post by 138EAW »

From What I overheard at Marham yesterday. At the moment flight training will continue to be provided by VMFAT-501. OCU will eventually come to Marham 2019/20 time, no word on which numberplate it will have. Depending on how long the Tornado soldiers on for but my money is on IX(B) or IX(R) as they might be.

There was quite a few Navy servicemen and women walking about too, so they must have a grown presence at Marham
Gary

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

There is also a BK-4 and BK-5 now too... BK-5 was delivered to VMFAT-501 in the past week.

BK-3 and BK-5 should be 617sqn's first aircraft

BK-1, 2 and 4 are with 17sqn at Edwards/Pax

A UK F-35 should be delivered to MCAS Beaufort for 617sqn at a rate of one every 8 weeks for the foreseeable future from now on.

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

Thanks for the info guys. Was really hoping that Yeovilton would get a couple of squadrons :sad: . Will have to plan some trips to deepest Norfolk on coming years then.

Trenethick

Post by Trenethick »

farnboroughrob wrote:Thanks for the info guys. Was really hoping that Yeovilton would get a couple of squadrons :sad: . Will have to plan some trips to deepest Norfolk on coming years then.

Some years ago the MOD carried out an environmental impact study at Yeovilton with a view to basing the F35B's here, this found that due to the sound of the F35 being greater than the then based Sea Harriers there was no way they could put them into VL due to the number of towns and villages within the noise impact area. Even with the Sea Harrier when houses were built in certain villages(mine included) the MOD had to pay for double glazing and baffled air vents due to the noise footprint.

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

After the lengthy period of serenity at Yeovilton following the Harrier retirement, there is NO way the F-35 could operate from VL! The shear number of suicides amongst the locals due to a little (okay...massive!) noise increase would lead to manslaughter charges against the Navy. The 24hr/ 4.5 day Road-Closure security costs all year long would prohibit the F-35 being at VL in any event! :whistle:

Ouragan

Post by Ouragan »

I actually thought that the F-35B in the hover was rather less noisy than the Harrier. Perhaps it is rose-tinted nostalgia. but my ears didn't complain at RIAT in the way they used to after the Harrier used to display.

paullangford

Post by paullangford »

So.........Our New, Futuristic, Very Expensive naval aircraft can't even operate from a RN Air Station ?.......... :wall:
With it's questionable range, I wonder if it will be able to reach it's Aircraft Carrier in the Solent from Marham :lol:

Trenethick

Post by Trenethick »

paullangford wrote:So.........Our New, Futuristic, Very Expensive naval aircraft can't even operate from a RN Air Station ?.......... :wall:
With it's questionable range, I wonder if it will be able to reach it's Aircraft Carrier in the Solent from Marham :lol:

It can operate from VL, the problem is in this day and age the people surrounding VL would not accept continuous operation of the F35B from the airstation without a lot of money having to be spent in compensation, this sadly is the world we live in.
Even when one T8 Harrier was transferred from Wittering to VL all the households within a certain noise footprint were paid compensation by the MOD, hence why Marham was chosen as it would affect far less people than at VL, sad but true.

paullangford

Post by paullangford »

Trenethick wrote:
paullangford wrote:So.........Our New, Futuristic, Very Expensive naval aircraft can't even operate from a RN Air Station ?.......... :wall:

It can operate from VL, the problem is in this day and age the people surrounding VL would not accept continuous operation of the F35B from the airstation without a lot of money having to be spent in compensation, this sadly is the world we live in.
Even when one T8 Harrier was transferred from Wittering to VL all the households within a certain noise footprint were paid compensation by the MOD, hence why Marham was chosen as it would affect far less people than at VL, sad but true.

Thx for the info Trenethick,..................I was trying to be ironicle :smile:

RAF4EVER

Post by RAF4EVER »

paullangford wrote:
Trenethick wrote:

Thx for the info Trenethick,..................I was trying to be ironicle :smile:

IRONICLE does such a word exist,
No doubt that Brevet will correct me,one way or another

paullangford

Post by paullangford »

RAF4EVER wrote:
paullangford wrote:
Trenethick wrote:

IRONICLE does such a word exist,
No doubt that Brevet will correct me,one way or another

Think you might find it in the 'urban' dictionary............just down from 'innit' but before 'irregardless' :lol: