Monarch Airlines To Cease Trading?

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
TYPHOON3

Re: Monarch Airlines To Cease Trading?

Post by TYPHOON3 »

I did notice quite a few Monarch aircraft parked up at Birmingham when I landed back early hours Monday morning.Most likely just finished all their scheduled flights for the day though?There were more Monarch aircraft parked up than any other airline for sure.None of them were connected to an air bridge.

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

TYPHOON3 wrote:I did notice quite a few Monarch aircraft parked up at Birmingham when I landed back early hours Monday morning.Most likely just finished all their scheduled flights for the day though?There were more Monarch aircraft parked up than any other airline for sure.None of them were connected to an air bridge.

Monarch are doing fine, what's the point of your post?

wv383

Post by wv383 »

Traveller wrote:Ah i wonder why I'm resurrecting this......

Only you will know the answer to that!
Simon

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

Big Eric wrote:
TYPHOON3 wrote:I did notice quite a few Monarch aircraft parked up at Birmingham when I landed back early hours Monday morning.Most likely just finished all their scheduled flights for the day though?There were more Monarch aircraft parked up than any other airline for sure.None of them were connected to an air bridge.

Just saying what I saw and if you read it again,I did say most likely just finished flying for the day meaning nothing else but exactly that.

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

So why post it in the "Monarch Airlines To Cease Trading?" thread? :facepalm:

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

Big Eric wrote:So why post it in the "Monarch Airlines To Cease Trading?" thread? :facepalm:

Because there isn't another thread related to Monarch?and I am not going to open a thread saying I saw several Monarch aircraft parked up? :facepalm:

Ewart

Post by Ewart »

TYPHOON3 wrote:
Big Eric wrote:So why post it in the "Monarch Airlines To Cease Trading?" thread? :facepalm:

Because there isn't another thread related to Monarch?and I am not going to open a thread saying I saw several Monarch aircraft parked up? :facepalm:

I don't suppose seeing a few Monarch aircraft parked up was really worth a post on a threat that has been resurrected nearly 12 months after it was last posted on.

However your noting of the parked aircraft may have been better posted here: http://www.civilianaviation.co.uk/forum/

Mul

Post by Mul »

Ewart wrote:
TYPHOON3 wrote:

I don't suppose seeing a few Monarch aircraft parked up was really worth a post on a threat that has been resurrected nearly 12 months after it was last posted on.

However your noting of the parked aircraft may have been better posted here: http://www.civilianaviation.co.uk/forum/

It wasn't typhoon3 who bumped the thread. If anything, you should be directing your anger at Traveller with his cryptic message instead...

motormouser

Post by motormouser »

Just one big happy family! :grin:

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

motormouser wrote:Just one big happy family! :grin:

Yes and they wonder why not so many people bother posting on UKAR anymore with some of the reactions you get sometimes.

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Traveller's message was hardly cryptic, there's plenty of rumours floating around about who may, or may not, be buying MON, and if noone is buying them what the future of MON will be!

As for "I saw some Monarch aircraft once", well...

Mul

Post by Mul »

cg_341 wrote:Traveller's message was hardly cryptic, there's plenty of rumours floating around about who may, or may not, be buying MON, and if noone is buying them what the future of MON will be!

This is a forum, which has varying degrees of knowledge. If someone bumps a two year old thread with a hyperbole based on rumours, it’s fair to say that people will be annoyed.

jules48

Post by jules48 »

I work in the travel industry and can assure you Monarch are financially sound and have many happy customers who fly with them regularly.

ericbee123

Post by ericbee123 »

Travellers post was not cryptic if you read the one above that said Monarch will cease trading in 12 months, 12 months before it.

Then someone who just saw the Monarch ceases trading headline and didn't realise Traveller was joking about the post above it, posted they had seen lots of Monarch aircraft just today, then nobody bothered to go back to Travellers joke and it all got petty.

Simple explanation.
Disclaimer-I have spell/grammar checked this post, it may still contain mistakes that might cause offence.

N48284

Post by N48284 »

Shock Horror, An airline has some jets parked up at the end of the charter season!!! It happens every year, move along....

Nige321

Post by Nige321 »

lambo17841

Post by lambo17841 »

Also mentioned on Sky news web page

John in Seaford

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

The telegraph article published a few hours back has the best coverage.

The airline is not under threat.

What is under threat is the package holiday aspect of Monarch's business.

Their ATOL licence expired today and the CAA have given them a one day extension to get their finances in order. The CAA are going to be giving daily updates.

Without the ATOL licence, Monarch must cease selling package holidays and call in administrators for that side of their business.

The airline will continue to operate on a flight-only basis as this does not require ATOL.

Andy

Traveller

Post by Traveller »

At which point I imagine the airline itself would fold shortly after.

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

This is the same thing as 12 months ago.
End of Sept last year was the same.

JohnH

Post by JohnH »

At the risk of being shot down in flames, can I say in this world of social media, making any sort of comment regarding the state of any company without full knowledge may well do more harm than good.

Investors, partners or customers may well withdraw any support for the company if they see comments uninformed or not out in the public view and by doing this it may well finish a company off that would otherwise have survived.

In this case shall we just wait and see what actually transpires without making speculative comments.

Now, where did I put my tin hat?

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

JohnH wrote:At the risk of being shot down in flames, can I say in this world of social media, making any sort of comment regarding the state of any company without full knowledge may well do more harm than good.
(snip)
Now, where did I put my tin hat?

No tin hat needed........some people made the exact same point last year. :up:

Oh, and aren't we about due an appearance by 'Rammstein' & 'ChopsyOpsy' ?? :lol:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Rarely is there smoke without fire? :whistle:
Monarch Airlines said to be seeking restructure of short-haul business
Mon 18 September 2017 15:08 | A A A
(ShareCast News) - UK carrier Monarch Airlines were said to be in the process of a radical overhaul of its business strategy as it held discussions with regulators regarding the annual extension of its tour operators licence.
SkyNews claimed that Monarch was in the process of working out sale and restructuring options to its short-haul business with KPMG for a joint venture or feeder deal with another airline before the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) had completed its annual review of the package holiday providers Air Travel Organiser's Licence (ATOL) at the end of September.
A spokesman for Monarch said, "In recent months we have undertaken, and continue to undertake, a comprehensive review of Monarch designed to determine its optimal future shape, size and strategy.
"We are having regular discussions on a number of options with potential strategic partners and we will announce any material developments, if and when they happen."
The overhaul comes just one year after the airline was the subject of a £165m rescue package lead by Greybull Capital, its controlling shareholder, and Boeing.
While denying the whole company, which employs 2,500 people, was up for sale, Easyjet and Jet2 were pegged as likely candidates to acquire or enter into a joint venture with Monarch.
Monarch's last financial statements showed losses of £317m, mostly due to aircraft leasing contracts, and was expected to lose money in 2017 after terrorist attacks in key European markets had created difficult trading conditions for the holiday maker.

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

Monarch have been given a 24hr extension whilst last ditch survival talks are ongoing according to Sky News.The people who said 'Monarch are absolutely fine' might be about to eat those words.As an aviation enthusiast I really do hope everything turns out fine in the end.

Traveller

Post by Traveller »

Big Eric wrote:

Absurd.

Mul wrote:
cg_341 wrote:Traveller's message was hardly cryptic, there's plenty of rumours floating around about who may, or may not, be buying MON, and if noone is buying them what the future of MON will be!

This is a forum, which has varying degrees of knowledge. If someone bumps a two year old thread with a hyperbole based on rumours, it’s fair to say that people will be annoyed.

Rumours? Wrong.

jules48 wrote:I work in the travel industry and can assure you Monarch are financially sound and have many happy customers who fly with them regularly.

Possibly the most ridiculous statement on here in 10 years.

Nige321 wrote:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4935154/Is-Monarch-brink-again.html

Must be true it's in the Daily Mail... :wave:

Correct, it is true. As raised by me.