Your Plans for 2017...

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

Your Plans for 2017...

Post by UK Airshow Review »

So, with the new airshow season fast approaching, and participants beginning to be confirmed, what show(s) are you all looking forward to the most in 2017? :smile:

MikeyB

Re: Your Plans for 2017...

Post by MikeyB »

As it currently stands, I'm certainly looking forward to RIAT very much with the announcement of The Thunderbirds! Have always wanted to see these guys!

I'm also definitely looking forward to Abingdon again as it's always the 'curtain raiser' to the season for me. :smile:
My YouTube channel of all sorts (well mostly aviation): http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgcEz-y6zzkh6ueBQH6Qvzw

CJS

Post by CJS »

Just RIAT for me, as per. Ticks all my boxes and I've got a (particularly) good feeling about this year's show.

Based on all the rave reviews however, I might try to make a trip to Old Warden too.

Looking forward to whatever I make it to. :-)
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

TKK 140

Post by TKK 140 »

As many air shows as we can make.

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Abingdon, La Ferté Alais, Geilenkirchen, Saint-Dizier, Yeovilton or Dijon, RIAT, East Kirkby, Biggin Hill, Sanicole, several Shuttleworths, and hopefully Jersey and Malta.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

tache3
UKAR Supporter

Post by tache3 »

I'm usually out of the country working for most of the summer, so what I can attend is usually very limited. However the work schedule appears to be quieter this year so hopefully will be able to get to the following-

Cold War Jets Open Day in May
Cosford
RIAT arrivals (working on the actual show weekend unfortunately)
Eastbourne or Bournemouth
MAYBE Scampton...

john001

Post by john001 »

Was hoping for NTM show but does not seem so likely now
Sola or the Finland show was a possible but another commitment has put paid to that however that may result in a Pardubice visit
Yeovilton
Duxford
RIAT
MAKS
Army 2017

any Shuttleworth if I am in the Uk but it is not looking likely
and if I have not spent it all by then which I will have Malta would be nice plus the second Northolt night shoot if there is one.
Last edited by john001 on Sun 15 Jan 2017, 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Well it's Old Warden....well just mostly Old Warden really. (I've been watching Big Bang on E4 a lot lately. :smile: )
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

flight79

Post by flight79 »

RIAT and Scampton hopefully

Elliott Marsh

Post by Elliott Marsh »

After a travel heavy and expensive 2016 (Chino, La Ferté, Florennes & Hahnweide being the overseas trips), I'm cutting back a little bit and focusing on one foreign trip to France for La Ferté-Alais, bookended by a week in the WWI battlefields and a week in Normandy for the D-Day anniversary.

UK-wise I'll be doing all three Duxfords, all of the Old Wardens with the exception of Fly Navy (which clashes with LFA), as many Stow Maries air displays and fly-ins as weather permits, Abingdon, Biggin Hill, Bicester, Goodwood Revival, RIAT (Friday & Sunday, with the Old Warden evening show on the Saturday) and likely a few others. In all, fewer foreign shows but more UK events.

Very much looking forward to it!

McG

Post by McG »

My 2017 airshow calendar is currently blank and is likely to remain that way. Too many other things planned this year that don't involve airshows, although one of them will feature a heavy dose of aviation.

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

Brunty CWJ in May and RIAT are my only two certs so far.Cosford,Yeovilton and Scampton will all depend on what gets confirmed.I may do Weston and/or Southport as my seaside shows.Lets hope for plenty of dry weather this year.

aceyone

Post by aceyone »

RIAT/Biggin and Eastbourne ,might give Brunty in May a go as well ! Also Wings and Wheels at Dunsfold as it may be the last :sad:
Don't know about those jets ,they spoil a very nice place

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

Abingdon for the first time now they have moved the date
Monday at RIAT as ever.
Maybe Yeovilton depending on the line up
lots on no airshow airshows if that makes sense? Aeroexpo at Booker, Bristol Balloons, Lasham European Gliding Championships, all the Popham and Brimpton Flyins.

Plus the little matter of the Blackbushe 75th Anniversary airshow. If we can get over one more obstacle it will be a good event. :wall:

Rob

Maccyd

Post by Maccyd »

So far RIAT ( Mach 3 no less, although only able to do the Thursday-Monday,really looking forward to the full FRIAT experience though) and the Scottish Airshow at Ayr/Prestick are fully confirmed for me. Hopefully the weather will be similar to 2014/15 for the show at Ayr. I don't think it likely but a repeat of the twilight show on the Friday and static at Prestwick on the Sunday would be great, and certainly a positive step in this shows development
Quietly hopeful for East Fortune, and wangling my work diary to assist with Cosford and Fly Navy.Fingers etc crossed!

Chris G

Post by Chris G »

Just keeping a close eye on the Shuttleworth line ups, might do Totterdown for a day or so but nothing else leaps out at me as worth the effort, maybe it's a sign of getting older but nothing else grabs me at the moment.

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

Chris G wrote:Just keeping a close eye on the Shuttleworth line ups, might do Totterdown for a day or so but nothing else leaps out at me as worth the effort, maybe it's a sign of getting older but nothing else grabs me at the moment.

If you are planning to camp at Totterdown,the campsite may already be full.If you are planning park and view,Simon opened up another field further back last year to cope with demand.I would get there early if you want a spot on the closer field.

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Sun 12 Aug 2018, 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chris G

Post by Chris G »

TYPHOON3 wrote:
Chris G wrote:Just keeping a close eye on the Shuttleworth line ups, might do Totterdown for a day or so but nothing else leaps out at me as worth the effort, maybe it's a sign of getting older but nothing else grabs me at the moment.

If you are planning to camp at Totterdown,the campsite may already be full.If you are planning park and view,Simon opened up another field further back last year to cope with demand.I would get there early if you want a spot on the closer field.

Thanks for the feedback Typhoon3 :smile:

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

davidjones533 wrote:Not technically an airshow, but also planning on heading stateside to visit the two Smithsonian aerospace museums in DC and the USAF museum at Dayton.

They're great, you'll have a good time! The other museums in DC are well worth seeing too.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

RIAT (Sat & Sunday)
Newcastle Festival of Flight (Northern Ireland)
Airwaves Portrush (Saturday)

Might do Bray in Rep of Ireland, however with RIAT being the weekend before I'm not sure I can be away 2 weekends in a row.

DanH

Post by DanH »

I've got quite a packed airshow schedule lined up:
Fly Navy at Old Warden (TBC)
Cosford
Yeovilton (TBC)
RIAT
Biggin Hill
Beachy Head for Eastbourne
Dunsfold
Scampton (TBC)

Lots of travelling for me this year. :smile:
Always seeking to lower the tone...

https://danhphotography.picfair.com/

John_E

Post by John_E »

For me it'll be;

La Ferté Alais
RIAT
Scampton (depending on line-up)
Sunderland (evening show)

Might squeeze in a Duxford show too if they come up with something worth the entrance fee.

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

Possibly East Fortune, think I may just be going to Ayr/ Prestwick, got tickets for the Tattoo so hoping for a Flypast. Other than that No other Aviation plans.

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

I lost my mojo in 2016 for airshows so I'm hoping I can get that back this year. My locals of Yeovilton and Bournemouth are always on the list as are the smaller fly ins like Compton Abbas and Henstridge but I'd like to make Dunsfold what with the plans and an LPG day. RIAT perhaps but as usual only if there's something really special to me. Before any shows I will be going to the Mach Loop, really looking forward to that so hope I pick a lucky day where something comes through!