EAP v Typhoon

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
aceyone

EAP v Typhoon

Post by aceyone »

Does anyone agree with me that the EAP was a far better looking aircraft, than the rather utilitarian thing it morphed into ?

I remember seeing a mock up at Farnborough way back and thinking that it looked the DBs but can't say I feel the same about the Typhoon ,to me , the Typhoon just looks functional and bland compared to it's current peers !
Don't know about those jets ,they spoil a very nice place

Wes_Howes

Re: EAP v Typhoon

Post by Wes_Howes »

I was thinking about this the other day, some WHIFs were created using the EAP as a base and it was called the Tempest. A far better looking machine than the Typhoon

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

Maybe it's because I'm more used to the Typhoon but it looks like a Typhoon that has been somewhat crushed. Neither I would say are that attractive designs but I'd give it to the Typhoon over the EAP.

Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

Ryan. wrote:Maybe it's because I'm more used to the Typhoon but it looks like a Typhoon that has been somewhat crushed. Neither I would say are that attractive designs but I'd give it to the Typhoon over the EAP.

agreed the EAP looks a bit 'off'. the vertical stabiliser is too long in relation to the fuselage, but i still think the typhoon just looks dull and although the EAP looks a bit weird it is definitely a more interesting design to look at. i personally prefer the tornado as has a awesome retro look to it and looks fast even when it isn't moving.

aceyone

Post by aceyone »

Jumbo wrote:
Ryan. wrote:Maybe it's because I'm more used to the Typhoon but it looks like a Typhoon that has been somewhat crushed. Neither I would say are that attractive designs but I'd give it to the Typhoon over the EAP.

agreed the EAP looks a bit 'off'. the vertical stabiliser is too long in relation to the fuselage, but i still think the typhoon just looks dull and although the EAP looks a bit weird it is definitely a more interesting design to look at. i personally prefer the tornado as has a awesome retro look to it and looks fast even when it isn't moving.

Definitely agree about the Tornado :rock:

ericbee123

Post by ericbee123 »

The tail of the EAP was a modified Tornado tail fin.

The engines were also Tornado engines.
Disclaimer-I have spell/grammar checked this post, it may still contain mistakes that might cause offence.

CJS

Post by CJS »

The EAP looks squashed and the tail looks too big to me, definitely prefer the Typhoon.

The EAP probably would have looked "utilitarian and bland" if it had been painted grey too!

I do like the Tornado too, but remember it only looks retro because it is!!
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?

aceyone

Post by aceyone »

I think it's the smoother blended fin of the EAP ( bit like the Rafale )that I prefer to the somewhat clunky fin of the Typhoon ,to me it just gives a more aerodynamic look .just my tuppence worth !
Last edited by aceyone on Fri 02 Jun 2017, 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

I much prefer the Typhoon - it just looks right.

Who's Raphael? :dizzy:

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

What's a Raphale?

IRIS/DSB Simulations did an EAP for MS FS2004 - including fictional operational versions. One as a fighter including carrier version, and also a jammer version with a spine called the cyclone. In single and two seat variants. The US version called the Vortex.

aceyone

Post by aceyone »

Big Eric wrote:I much prefer the Typhoon - it just looks right.

Who's Raphael? :dizzy:

Whoops ! trying to type with cat playing up ! seems I'm alone in this !

MC hammer

Post by MC hammer »

Try typing with your fingers, it's a lot easier than doing it with a cat.

I still like the typhoon myself.

aceyone

Post by aceyone »

MC hammer wrote:Try typing with your fingers, it's a lot easier than doing it with a cat.

I still like the typhoon myself.

:grin:

G for George

Post by G for George »

I personally think that the Typhoon is a beautiful aircraft, from almost any viewing angle. From certain angles the Rafale comes close. The more I look at the pictures of the EAP the more I can see elements of the Tornado. I've often looked at the EAP at Cosford and thought it looks rather 'stubby' in comparison to the Typhoon. Is there much difference in fuselage length, or is it just an optical illusion caused by the tail fin?

mafro987daboss

Post by mafro987daboss »

G for George wrote:I personally think that the Typhoon is a beautiful aircraft, from almost any viewing angle. From certain angles the Rafale comes close. The more I look at the pictures of the EAP the more I can see elements of the Tornado. I've often looked at the EAP at Cosford and thought it looks rather 'stubby' in comparison to the Typhoon. Is there much difference in fuselage length, or is it just an optical illusion caused by the tail fin?

Wait you actually think the Typhoon looks better than the Rafale? You're the first I've seen say that!

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

I wonder if folk would feel different if the EAP was the regular bird and the Typhoon was the protoytpe?.. is it just that we have got used to the latters geometry?

Fwiw (& yes this is taking the original post off on a huge tangent) I'm not a fan of recycling aircraft names.. for me, Hawker made the Typhoon...

G for George

Post by G for George »

mafro987daboss wrote:
G for George wrote:I personally think that the Typhoon is a beautiful aircraft, from almost any viewing angle. From certain angles the Rafale comes close. The more I look at the pictures of the EAP the more I can see elements of the Tornado. I've often looked at the EAP at Cosford and thought it looks rather 'stubby' in comparison to the Typhoon. Is there much difference in fuselage length, or is it just an optical illusion caused by the tail fin?

Wait you actually think the Typhoon looks better than the Rafale? You're the first I've seen say that!

I do! I think the Rafale looks a little chunky when viewed from the front, where the fuselage contours around the air intakes. And the permanently protruding refuelling arm looks a little awkward. I know the Typhoon may look a little clinical with its straighter lines, I just feel it looks more balanced. But the best display I saw last year was from the Rafale!

st24

Post by st24 »

I quite like the Typhoon, just hate the way they are all so dull and look the same. I think the EAPs wing shape is superb, a nice flowing double delta but the cockpit and fin are too big...
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

i agree, i bet if they painted the typhoons in a more interesting scheme like the cold was green and grey or the gulf war pink it would look far more exciting than they do know. i know there were a fir few people who didn't like GiNA but i think in the battle of briton scheme the typhoon looks very striking.

aceyone

Post by aceyone »

G for George wrote:I personally think that the Typhoon is a beautiful aircraft, from almost any viewing angle. From certain angles the Rafale comes close. The more I look at the pictures of the EAP the more I can see elements of the Tornado. I've often looked at the EAP at Cosford and thought it looks rather 'stubby' in comparison to the Typhoon. Is there much difference in fusela

ge length, or is it just an optical illusion caused by the tail fin?

I believe the Typhoon is about 4 feet longer

JohnnyM100

Post by JohnnyM100 »

aceyone wrote:Does anyone agree with me that the EAP was a far better looking aircraft, than the rather utilitarian thing it morphed into ?

I was thinking something similar when I saw it about 6 months ago.

The reason I thought this was because EAP looked more as though it was designed by hand I.e. more curves on the wings and fin.

Typhoon looks more computer generated with straight lines & hard edges.

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

Typhoon looks more computer generated with straight lines & hard edges.

I'm sure that the Rafale was computer designed as well but that's plenty curvy. Maybe as the French dropped out of the Eurofighter project and started again on their own product the computers and software had developed sufficiently to move away from flat surfaces and develop curves.

For me the Rafale was always the plane the Typhoon should have been. Cheaper and better looking (not that that counts for much in a dog fight situation). The Typhoon is very capable but its ridiculously expensive and has taken forever to develop. The obvious choice would've been to go with the existing F-16 and either just buy it from the Yanks or build it under licence in Europe. The people responsible for procurement have had a lucky break - for a 25 years a Cold War jet fighter in a post Cold War environment just looked like a plain daft expensive white elephant but with the resurgence of 'old tensions' around the World it might finally have a role to play.

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Shameless promotion; the EAP will be outside on static display for the RAF Cosford Air Show next weekend. So if you want to get a good look at the machine in sunlight; www.cosfordairshow.co.uk! :wave:

CJS

Post by CJS »

Was there only ever one which flew?
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

CJS wrote:Was there only ever one which flew?

Try googling it?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British ... prov=sfla1

In short yes.

Another reason why the museum at Cosford is so awesome. Seeing the flaming pencil out in the open the other year was one of the highlights of the day for me.