Northolt Night Photoshoot XXIII Thursday 19th October 2017

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
NIDarby

Re: Northolt Night Photoshoot XXIII Thursday 19th October 20

Post by NIDarby »

Hi Phil, Can you add me and my Dad to the list?

Neil
Finals 29

Graf Zeppelin

Post by Graf Zeppelin »

Confirmed tonight:-

Alpha Jet (Special Marks) French AF
Two Xingu French AF

More info soon :smile:
Cheers Phil

Excellere Contende

tommercer
UKAR Supporter

Post by tommercer »

Graf Zeppelin wrote:Confirmed tonight:-

Two Xingu French AF

Lovely!

What is it that keeps the French coming back time and time again? You have to admire the dedication!

Graf Zeppelin

Post by Graf Zeppelin »

aknott68 wrote:Just out of interest is there an intention to invite the 206*squadron her being invited back?

We have requested support from the AWC but have not specified a type so they will hopefully attend with whatever is available on the night.
Cheers Phil

Excellere Contende

paullangford

Post by paullangford »

tommercer wrote:
Graf Zeppelin wrote:Confirmed tonight:-

Two Xingu French AF

Lovely!

What is it that keeps the French coming back time and time again? You have to admire the dedication!

....it must be the food ! :smile:

bite11

Post by bite11 »

Phil.

Can I suggest you try to get Marham to send Tornado ZD741/089 which is currently the XV Squadron Disbandment Scheme jet, aka Freddie II. It has been flying in the last couple of weeks and it would be nice to see it before it goes to Leeming for RTP.

regards
Nick

Ruislip Rustler

Post by Ruislip Rustler »

bite11 wrote:Phil.

Can I suggest you try to get Marham to send Tornado ZD741/089 which is currently the XV Squadron Disbandment Scheme jet, aka Freddie II. It has been flying in the last couple of weeks and it would be nice to see it before it goes to Leeming for RTP.

regards
Nick

The run-down of the Tonka fleet isn't lost on us, but the focus on operational taskings means that our events aren't on their radar.

And before anyone asks, yes, we've tried 41 Sqn as well...
Insert witty / sarcastic / uncalled for comment (* delete as applicable)

www.leezpics.com

Surrey_liam

Post by Surrey_liam »

Looking forward to this years event. Would be nice to get the HeliOps Sea King along :-)
Nikon D7100
Sigma 24-70 F2.8
Nikon 55-200mm

Graf Zeppelin

Post by Graf Zeppelin »

REMINDER

Only fourteen days left before the booking list closes
Cheers Phil

Excellere Contende

Alpha Delta 210

Post by Alpha Delta 210 »

Hi Phil. Could I please be added to the list?

Thank you.

Graf Zeppelin

Post by Graf Zeppelin »

Alpha Delta 210 wrote:Hi Phil. Could I please be added to the list?

Thank you.

A name helps! :up:
Cheers Phil

Excellere Contende

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

Phil,

Am i on the list ? i've not received an email yet...

Cheers

Steve

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

aknott68 wrote:given the fact that this is obviously an RAF staged event...

Not it's not. It's organised by Phil and his volunteers.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Graf Zeppelin

Post by Graf Zeppelin »

aknott68 wrote:Just wondering, saying that these events are not on the Tornado fleets radar does that suggest that the likelihood of seeing any of the special Tonkas is low? This would really be a shame, given the fact that this is obviously an RAF staged event...

The Tornado Squadrons are extremely busy with Ops and have no spare capacity for non operational tasking. no matter how worthwhile the cause! I think it is unlikely that we will see any Tonka specials before the aircraft leaves service at one of our events. I hope I am wrong!
Cheers Phil

Excellere Contende

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

aknott68 wrote: it would be nice to think that other RAF stations would find a way to support these events

They do but only if it can form part of a training flight and nothing to do with forces being cut to the bone.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

There's a lot more to it than just "training flights", "being cut to the bone", etc.

Craig

Post by Craig »

I think we have to be realistic here and accept that an event like this happening at all is remarkable. That It's now a biannual fixture in the enthusiasts calendar is tribute to some incredible work behind the scenes by people who undoubtedly give much and gain little from running it. Stuff like this is always going to be heavily dependent on goodwill though and that comes some way below operational necessity. I'd love to see a Tornado or two but the reality is It's a dwindling fleet with an unusually heavy tasking load. The Tornado is set to be worked hard to the end and ultimately that's what It's there for. Maybe the last event before retirement with a bit of luck? Who knows. I just know I'm thoroughly looking forward to attending my first :smile:

Craig

Post by Craig »

aknott68 wrote:
Pen Pusher wrote:
aknott68 wrote: it would be nice to think that other RAF stations would find a way to support these events

They do but only if it can form part of a training flight and nothing to do with forces being cut to the bone.

Brian

Sorry bring I'm not following your point I apologise if I'm being stupid what do you. Mean. This is an RAF based product event

This event does not fall under the remit of the RAF engagement strategy and has no budget to allocate to securing items. The only way they can get participants is by virtue of a long distance navigation exercise with an overnight stopover. Presumably that's why It's held on a Thursday to allow aircraft to RTB Friday. By doing it this way the fuel costs etc are justified as training. This is a few people who have put themselves out to organise an event to support a charity. It is not RAF endorsed.

Graf Zeppelin

Post by Graf Zeppelin »

Craig wrote:
aknott68 wrote:
Pen Pusher wrote:

Brian

Sorry bring I'm not following your point I apologise if I'm being stupid what do you. Mean. This is an RAF based product event

This event does not fall under the remit of the RAF engagement strategy and has no budget to allocate to securing items. The only way they can get participants is by virtue of a long distance navigation exercise with an overnight stopover. Presumably that's why It's held on a Thursday to allow aircraft to RTB Friday. By doing it this way the fuel costs etc are justified as training. This is a few people who have put themselves out to organise an event to support a charity. It is not RAF endorsed.

Actually it is classified as RAF engagement but there is no budget for running the event. It is self financing. The event does not support a charity. It supports a worthwhile cause which is the restoration of Building 27 at Northolt. Considered to be the birth place of integrated air defence. Hugh Dowding developed what became known as the Dowding System in the building between 1936 and 1939.
Cheers Phil

Excellere Contende

Craig

Post by Craig »

Graf Zeppelin wrote:
Craig wrote:
aknott68 wrote:
Pen Pusher wrote:

Brian

Actually it is classified as RAF engagement but there is no budget for running the event. It is self financing. The event does not support a charity. It supports a worthwhile cause which is the restoration of Building 27 at Northolt. Considered to be the birth place of integrated air defence. Hugh Dowding developed what became known as the Dowding System in the building between 1936 and 1939.

Thanks for the clarification :smile: I didn't realise the ops building was not a charity, but then that does make sense.

wezgulf3

Post by wezgulf3 »

Phil, I’m not one for asking for request, but having tried in the past.... would an RAF Sentinal be on your wish list? Guess this is the last chance for one at a Northolt Nightshoot.

Wes...

Ruislip Rustler

Post by Ruislip Rustler »

With just over a week now to book for the event some important information for those who are attending...

Following a meeting with the RAF Police this morning, it ha been decided that entry for the event will STOP at 1900 hours (or 7pm for civvies).

Please allow yourself plenty of time to get here and try to avoid any known issues on the M25/M40 in particular.

This time will only be extended should there be a series of massive incidents creating havoc on the motorway network - we'll have an ear on the travel news and will cross-check our admission lists during the evening.
Insert witty / sarcastic / uncalled for comment (* delete as applicable)

www.leezpics.com

ashenden92

Post by ashenden92 »

Hi is this a typo 7PM finish - I thought we normal aren't allowed on base till after 6PM anyway this would only leave an hour to access shoot any participants?

thanks for the clarification - ''speed reading again trip up'' my apologies - understood that entry only will be restricted to before 7PM for civilians
Last edited by ashenden92 on Fri 22 Sep 2017, 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

ashenden92 wrote:Hi is this a typo 7PM finish - I thought we normal aren't allowed on base till after 6PM anyway this would only leave an hour to access shoot any participants?

If you arrive are 19.00 you won't be allowed in, not the event is finishing at 7...

Graf Zeppelin

Post by Graf Zeppelin »

wezgulf3 wrote:Phil, I’m not one for asking for request, but having tried in the past.... would an RAF Sentinal be on your wish list? Guess this is the last chance for one at a Northolt Nightshoot.

Wes...

Isn't the OOS date for the Sentinel now 2021?
Cheers Phil

Excellere Contende