RAF100

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Stagger2

Re: RAF100

Post by Stagger2 »

hunterxf382 wrote:I have to agree with the inaccuracies on this interactive map, and more worrying - there is no obvious contact method to pont out errors found either - which means the valuabe resource nature of this interactive map goes un-checked.

Why would you want "to pont out errors" ? :whistle:

hunterxf382

Post by hunterxf382 »

:shock: I must be using the same keyboard as the webmaster behind that site lol

I have now edited and slapped my keyboard as a resullt :biggrin:
Pete Buckingham
Volunteer in Aviation
Former RAF Engineer
http://hunterxf382.weebly.com/

CJS

Post by CJS »

Anyone heard if there will be any marking of the day on April 1st, 100 years to the day that the RAF was formed? Didn't know if there were any events planned for the actual 'birthday' as it were. :dunno:

expects jokes about the date obviously...
You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Trenchard's ghost is probably looking down, thinking "A hundred years on and they still haven't realised.....best April Fools joke ever!"

:whistle:

:biggrin:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Jimbo27

Post by Jimbo27 »

CJS wrote:Anyone heard if there will be any marking of the day on April 1st, 100 years to the day that the RAF was formed? Didn't know if there were any events planned for the actual 'birthday' as it were. :dunno:

expects jokes about the date obviously...

Easter though... that's always been an issue with RAF 100...

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

hunterxf382 wrote::shock: I must be using the same keyboard as the webmaster behind that site lol

I have now edited and slapped my keyboard as a resullt :biggrin:

Be careful you don't want to break it, far too valuabe! :whistle:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

I've mentioned it on the Scottish International Air Show Thread but is the S.I.A.S. at Ayr Low Green not part of the RAF100 Celebrations?, don't see it on the Website List but it does appear to be on the same days as Bournemouth and Port Rush, has the Scottish been overlooked?

Berf

Post by Berf »

Had not seen this anywhere on this site but a snip from an Ian Allan Tours message:

Also attracting bookings is the “100th Anniversary of the RAF” in June/July. We have now added a second day at RIAT and an optional visit on 10 July to RAF Coningsby to see the mass launch and recover of the 27 Typhoon and Tornado aircraft taking part in the Flypast over central London.

harkins

Post by harkins »

Berf wrote:Had not seen this anywhere on this site but a snip from an Ian Allan Tours message:

Also attracting bookings is the “100th Anniversary of the RAF” in June/July. We have now added a second day at RIAT and an optional visit on 10 July to RAF Coningsby to see the mass launch and recover of the 27 Typhoon and Tornado aircraft taking part in the Flypast over central London.

I wonder if that's 27 Typhoon and a Tornado.

Could be a busy day on the mound.

Craig

Post by Craig »

I wonder if this is the rehersal? I thought the London flypast was the Friday with the formation routing via Fairford on its way back?

Ruislip Rustler

Post by Ruislip Rustler »

Craig wrote:I wonder if this is the rehersal? I thought the London flypast was the Friday with the formation routing via Fairford on its way back?

July the 10th is the focal day with a parade and full flypast in that there London.
Insert witty / sarcastic / uncalled for comment (* delete as applicable)

www.leezpics.com

st24

Post by st24 »

harkins wrote:
Berf wrote:Had not seen this anywhere on this site but a snip from an Ian Allan Tours message:

I wonder if that's 27 Typhoon and a Tornado.

Could be a busy day on the mound.

Well looking at the practice "100" there were 8 Tiffs making up a "0" so I'd say 21 to make the full number plus a few spares and you're not far off 27.... Mixed formation??
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

What's that, the 27 jets are taking off and flying to all points of the compass to do flyovers over as much of the country as possible? Great idea.

A flypast over London. It's not hugely innovative is it?

Craig

Post by Craig »

Ruislip Rustler wrote:
Craig wrote:I wonder if this is the rehersal? I thought the London flypast was the Friday with the formation routing via Fairford on its way back?

July the 10th is the focal day with a parade and full flypast in that there London.

That's interesting. So will London get a watered down version of the RIAT flypast or vice versa? A random weekday in early July hardly seems the best choice of time to formally Mark the RAF Centenary.

Sid-104

Post by Sid-104 »

Apparently, the original plan was for Tornados to form the 1 and Typhoons the zero's but as we now know this will be all Typhoons for the 100. One element of the flypast will consist of 7 Tornados forming an arrowhead with a diamond 4 of F-35 in the V behind. I assume this formation will all be from Marham.

Sid.

138EAW

Post by 138EAW »

Craig wrote:That's interesting. So will London get a watered down version of the RIAT flypast or vice versa? A random weekday in early July hardly seems the best choice of time to formally Mark the RAF Centenary.

10th of July was the first day of the Battle of Britain, so I wouldn't call it "A random weekday" for the RAF :snack: .

It's not often the RAF could spare 27 fast jets for flypast, plus what ever else involved. So make sense to have everything over a few day's if they intended to do the same over London and RIAT
Gary

Craig

Post by Craig »

138EAW wrote:
Craig wrote:That's interesting. So will London get a watered down version of the RIAT flypast or vice versa? A random weekday in early July hardly seems the best choice of time to formally Mark the RAF Centenary.

10th of July was the first day of the Battle of Britain, so I wouldn't call it "A random weekday" for the RAF :snack: .

It's not often the RAF could spare 27 fast jets for flypast, plus what ever else involved. So make sense to have everything over a few day's if they intended to do the same over London and RIAT

True enough but it's not really conductive to much of the British public seeing it, especially when the main Battle of Britain celebrations are always in September. I'd just thought with such a massive effort going into it they'd want as many people as possible to see it. If they repeat exactly the same for RIAT Friday then yes granted it makes more sense.

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Given 1st April was deemed inappropriate (Easter Weekend), a date 100 days later (Tuesday 10th June) was selected for the main parade in London and 100 aircraft flypast. Majority of major centenary celebratory events are being held in this 100 day period. But some RAF100 events (such as the City Centre Roadshow) will continue until September.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Typhoon/Spitfire synchro pair? would have found it highly appropriate.

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

What time, is the RAF 100 Flypast over the Mall, and Buckingham Palace, on Tuesday 10th July this year ? I need to know, so I can make travel arrangements.

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

eddywinch82 wrote:What time, is the RAF 100 Flypast over the Mall, and Buckingham Palace, on Tuesday 10th July this year ? I need to know, so I can make travel arrangements.

No time given I can find. The church service at Westminster Abbey, to take place before the Mall parade, ends at 11.30 so you'd think it'd be midday-ish.

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

Well Hawk T2 ZK031/ V is now wearing the totally underwhelming “RAF 100” fin flash

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Ho, hum.....
Watching the Welsh news this evening, where they were showing the 'aircraft' which are outside Cardiff City Hall this weekend as part of the RAF100 celebrations.
From what I could see - plastic Spitfire & plastic Typhoon ( the latter with the RAF100 sticker on it )
Not too sure about the Harrier, but I suspect that's also plastic ( as in, not a real one )
About the only real one appeared to be the Wessex.
They didn't show the Snipe, but that's a replica anyway.
아직도 숨어있다

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

I believe the harrier is xz997 which used to be suspended in the milestone in flight gallery at Hendon.
Thomas

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

It looks to be a GR.3, unfortunately they didn't show the rear fuselage so couldn't see the s/no. ( if it had one )
아직도 숨어있다