RAF100

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Spotty_Jag

Re: RAF100

Post by Spotty_Jag »

cg_341 wrote:Plastic Spitfire, plastic Hawk, and plastic F-35 I've heard?

I've heard that they'll also be a Chinook and Dakota(?!) for London, not sure if they're going to the other cities too though?

st24

Post by st24 »

Surely not that horrendous "Chinook" that tours the airshows that looks like it's been dropped from a great height??
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

qwerty

Post by qwerty »

The sad thing is that the majority of the MOD and service decision makers are not at all bothered about RAF history,heritage. They run the armed forces as a business, bean counters is the common name given to them.And who knows where the influence of outside PR agencies is used to decide how the RAF100 is marked. So far I see little evidence that the really enthusiastic service people have made a difference to what is happening. As usual it will be the efforts of enthusiast owners and trusts that produce a worthy spectacle.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

st24 wrote:It's the prospect of having only 4 F-35s that would cause concern, after all that wouldn't even make a very convincing "1" in the 100 formation! :grin:

Surely in a hover they should be able to form a reasonable representation of a 'C' :biggrin:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

qwerty wrote:The sad thing is that the majority of the MOD and service decision makers are not at all bothered about RAF history,heritage.

Careful... not everybody in MOD is an accountant: but it is certainly true that they are hard to defeat!

John

qwerty

Post by qwerty »

My comment was made out of frustration and my time in the RAF when i discovered just how few had any interest in aviation.

st24

Post by st24 »

Looks like I'm getting my Tucano 9 ship too - My show is certainly coming together! :smile:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/72Squadron/status/942843697238069255[/tweet]
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

st24 wrote:Looks like I'm getting my Tucano 9 ship too - My show is certainly coming together! :smile:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/72Squadron/status/942843697238069255[/tweet]

I hope they do something like this with the Tucano over Belfast for RAF100.

Saw quite a few of them roll out of Shorts for their first flights. Will be sad to see them replaced.

Berf

Post by Berf »

Thought this might be interesting http://raf100schools.org.uk/map/uk to see any long lost airfields that had been forgotten. However, when I find Biggin Hill in the wrong place (unable to place the aircraft symbol on the airport which is clearly marked) I question its accuracy. Then looking abroad I find nothing at Gan or even currently RAF Mount Pleasant (map shows alternative name for the Falklands as well that may irritate some.) There are others as well but I have given up.

Jetnoise

Post by Jetnoise »

That map is a pile of fetid dingo's kidneys. It seems we have an airfield in Gilbraltar.
To be fair, both Gan and Mount Pleasant are there - you just need to adjust the date sliders to reveal them.

Cheers,
Ralph
www.ralphluntphotography.com
www.jetnoise.co.uk
There's only one way to skin a cat - with a very sharp knife.

Berf

Post by Berf »

Jetnoise wrote:That map is a pile of fetid dingo's kidneys. It seems we have an airfield in Gilbraltar.
To be fair, both Gan and Mount Pleasant are there - you just need to adjust the date sliders to reveal them.

Cheers,
Ralph

Yes you are right but it was not logical to me. I thought the 1916 -2017 would show all bases operated. You have to know when Gan, for example, began operations (which I did not) for it to show.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Jetnoise wrote:That map is a pile of fetid dingo's kidneys. It seems we have an airfield in Gilbraltar.

Cheers,
Ralph

Seriously?? It doesn't say 'we have a dedicated RAF airfield in Gibraltar' does it?! Perhaps check your facts before RAF mud slinging just for the sake of it...

https://www.raf.mod.uk/rafgibraltar/

Berf wrote:Thought this might be interesting http://raf100schools.org.uk/map/uk to see any long lost airfields that had been forgotten. However, when I find Biggin Hill in the wrong place (unable to place the aircraft symbol on the airport which is clearly marked) I question its accuracy.

The map is interesting, accurate as far as I can see - how is BH in the wrong place? - and very easy to use as long as, you know, you bother to read the instructions.

It's a very interesting at useful resource. :up:
You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

harkins

Post by harkins »

It is a pretty interesting resource - all be it a bit saddening for the military aviation enthusiast to see just how much we've lost in the last twenty years or so. One base that does appear absent from the map is RAF Brawdy.

Berf

Post by Berf »

CJS wrote:

Cheers,
Ralph

Seriously?? It doesn't say 'we have a dedicated RAF airfield in Gibraltar' does it?! Perhaps check your facts before RAF mud slinging just for the sake of it...

https://www.RAF.mod.uk/rafgibraltar/

Berf wrote:Thought this might be interesting http://raf100schools.org.uk/map/uk to see any long lost airfields that had been forgotten. However, when I find Biggin Hill in the wrong place (unable to place the aircraft symbol on the airport which is clearly marked) I question its accuracy.

The map is interesting, accurate as far as I can see - how is BH in the wrong place? - and very easy to use as long as, you know, you bother to read the instructions.

It's a very interesting at useful resource. :up:

The Biggin Hill symbol is nearly 3kms to the west of the airport if you think that is accurate I hope you are not a geography or maths teacher. It gives me no confidence that the location of some of the disused airfields that are not as obvious as Biggin Hill are in the right place.

On my screen you cannot see Gan until you move the left slider up to 1928 even though Gan in the information only opened in 1942. No Gan 1916-2017, Gan 1928-2017 whereas in the UK map I can see all the airfields that have been active at any time if I put 1916 -2017 but I cannot do that with the world map. Maybe it is a browser issue.

And finally Fairford is in: Gluucestershire it was Chosed for Concorde testing and it was a transAtlantic Abort landing Base - so much for accuracy there then.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Is it 3km out even if you zoom right in? And even if allowing for the size of the icon? Genuine question, I don't know what the answer is and unable to check at the moment.

As for the spellings mistakes - I agree quality control clearly not up to scratch.

aceyone

Post by aceyone »

The Penshurst symbol is about 3k south of the actual airfield location at Chiddingstone Causeway but then again the Penshurst railway station is 3k north of Penshurst at Chiddingstone Causeway so that may be the reason :dunno:
Don't know about those jets ,they spoil a very nice place

Berf

Post by Berf »

CJS wrote:Is it 3km out even if you zoom right in? And even if allowing for the size of the icon? Genuine question, I don't know what the answer is and unable to check at the moment.

As for the spellings mistakes - I agree quality control clearly not up to scratch.

For me it is but as I say I expect some browsers for whatever reason maybe different.

Captain Skyhawk

Post by Captain Skyhawk »

Eastchurch and Leysdown are said to be in Kent, but appear to be located in Berkshire...
Same with Detling, but that appears to be in Surrey...

I'm sure they aren't the only ones.

CS

Berf

Post by Berf »

No they are not - Fulbeck is at RAF Cranwell and Kings Cliffe is at the east end of Wittering's runway as well as being at Kings Cliffe.

Honestly this is complete xxxx - is it a sign of what is acceptable these days? Burtonwood which should be near Warrington is some miles below Tarporley. Burtonwood is marked as Burscough which should be miles north west towards Southport and Burscough is marked Brawdy! (and there is no Brawdy at Brawdy.)

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Did you miss the "schools" part of the domain, by any chance? Presumably this was created by kids, as part of learning more about the history of the country and the history of the Royal Air Force. I'm not sure that's a bad thing.

Berf

Post by Berf »

So it is OK for school kids to get it wrong, the RAF100 team to put it on the internet as a resource and information and the Historical Association to support it..... It's not a bad thing if it is right but it is not.

Jetnoise

Post by Jetnoise »

CJS wrote

I did check my facts and, as far as I am aware, there is no "RAF Gilbraltar" but there is RAF Gibraltar - I have been there many times.

As subsequently pointed out, the error I highlighted is not the only one and, before anyone else starts on about spelling not being important, the web site has been specifically designed and produced as a teaching aid for school children and, as such, should be checked and re-checked for accuracy, grammar and spelling before being published. It is no wonder that children are being failed by the education system of today.

Cheers,
Ralph.
www.ralphluntphotography.com
www.jetnoise.co.uk
There's only one way to skin a cat - with a very sharp knife.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Jetnoise wrote:CJS wrote

I did check my facts and, as far as I am aware, there is no "RAF Gilbraltar" but there is RAF Gibraltar - I have been there many times.

As subsequently pointed out, the error I highlighted is not the only one and, before anyone else starts on about spelling not being important, the web site has been specifically designed and produced as a teaching aid for school children and, as such, should be checked and re-checked for accuracy, grammar and spelling before being published. It is no wonder that children are being failed by the education system of today.

Cheers,
Ralph.

None taken :butt:

hunterxf382

Post by hunterxf382 »

I have to agree with the inaccuracies on this interactive map, and more worrying - there is no obvious contact method to point out errors found either - which means the valuabe resource nature of this interactive map goes un-checked.
Last edited by hunterxf382 on Thu 25 Jan 2018, 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pete Buckingham
Volunteer in Aviation
Former RAF Engineer
http://hunterxf382.weebly.com/

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

Captain Skyhawk wrote:Eastchurch and Leysdown are said to be in Kent, but appear to be located in Berkshire...
Same with Detling, but that appears to be in Surrey...

I'm sure they aren't the only ones.

CS

Dentling is in Detling