Dictionary of aviation enthusiast slang considered "chavvy"

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
TKK 140

Re: Dictionary of aviation enthusiast slang considered "chav

Post by TKK 140 »

jalfrezi wrote:
TKK 140 wrote:
Anyway I'd like to point out to others it's "Jello" not Jelly.

Only if you're an American, in the UK it's jelly, jello is a brand name. Do you call a jellyfish a jellofish by any chance? No wait don't answer that......

Be rude not too! No but I've heard jet created heat haze referred to as jello.

coanda

Post by coanda »

Cheesus H Kerrist.

Spluff, Carrots, Jelly. Shoot me now.

I had 'spluff' comments on some instagram photos. At first I was a little sick in my mouth, and then I cringed it back down.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

TKK 140 wrote:
jalfrezi wrote:
TKK 140 wrote:

Only if you're an American, in the UK it's jelly, jello is a brand name. Do you call a jellyfish a jellofish by any chance? No wait don't answer that......

Be rude not too! No but I've heard jet created heat haze referred to as jello.

You make it too easy.

coanda

Post by coanda »

wv383 wrote:
Wissam24 wrote:
ericbee123 wrote:Bet some of you are a laugh a minute in the pub.

"No bartender, I do not want 'half a Stella', I wish to purchase half a pint of Stella Artois Pilsner beer and, for your information, I will not be watching 'Man U v Spurs on the big TV', I however shall be watching Manchester United Football Club versus Tottenham Hotspur Football Club in a game of Association Football on the large screen Television."

I never have half pints.

Not as bad as "Can I get a Stella!"
"What, you mean you want to serve yourself?"

Not as bad as ordering Stella in first place.

TKK 140

Post by TKK 140 »

capercaillie wrote:
TKK 140 wrote:
Tommy wrote:Much of the stuff you see does grind my gears. "Pinky" does so particularly, because it's a replacement of "Granby" particularly because a) it sounds rude, b) it saves the sum total of bugger-all in the way of syllables (arguments are that the "Op" isn't included, I suppose), c) I suspect it came about because people couldn't remember "Granby". I just don't see the point of where it came from.

But yeah it annoys me, and I really don't know why. I don't dislike the people for using that lexicon, it's just... all a bit "urgh"... #AvSnob

Reminds me of some of the more pedantic judges saying that one cannot call a vehicle for hire a "taxi" or even a "cab" - It must be referred to as a "taximetered cabriolet". What's that you're writing things down with? A "pen"? No, that's not cricket. It's a "manual recording implement". "Walking" somewhere? Ohh pish, old bean. It's "proceeding directionally in an ambulatory manner".

Tommy that first sentance:
If you double de clutch, your gears won't grind. lol:

Airwolfhound, I am with you, but it's Mildyhall in our house. . If visiting both bases, on the same day its Lakenhall or Mildyhealth, dependent on order of visit.

What is a sentance? :dunno:

What a complete load of garbage this whole thread is anyway? Who gives a toss what anybody calls anything as long as its not personally demeaning, as others have mentioned if you don't care for it, move on. :cuppa:

I'm now moving on. :whistle:

Fair point auto spelling bites again. Sentence it should have been.
A sentance is putting up with the more picky individuals and it's good to hear that you'll be less so in the future. :grin:

Ewart

Post by Ewart »

I would like to see a word for male groupies of female aviation enthusiasts/'spluff toggers'. I assume most of whom have never kissed a girl. However they comment and like on social media for no other reason than the spluff togger is female and not on the quality of the image.

Or shoot down anyone who dares to question the lighting levels of a picture consisting of a backlit Lancaster perfectly exposed over a castle.

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Ewart wrote:I would like to see a word for male groupies of female aviation enthusiasts/'spluff toggers'. I assume most of whom have never kissed a girl. However they comment and like on social media for no other reason than the spluff togger is female and not on the quality of the image.

Or shoot down anyone who dares to question the lighting levels of a picture consisting of a backlit Lancaster perfectly exposed over a castle.

I've certainly seen plenty of that, it's like moths drawn to a flame, or flies around.....

Reds Rolling

Post by Reds Rolling »

I can put up with most things, but I can't stand people who use the term 'Mk1 eyeball'

Go back to school and do some science you cretins! :wall:

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Terrible that some people can get upset by a term that's over 60 years old......mind you, some people get upset at aircraft being referred to as planes & that's been in use for over 100 years !
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

CJS

Post by CJS »

Chopper :shock: :sick:
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

smokey

Post by smokey »

Brevet Cable wrote:Terrible that some people can get upset by a term that's over 60 years old......mind you, some people get upset at aircraft being referred to as planes & that's been in use for over 100 years !

I think some people on UKAR just enjoy being upset! :grin:
Rich in Rutland

effects

Post by effects »

I think you will find that the names 'Tonka' and 'Wokka' both come from the people that use them.
Nikon P900 (Sony DSC-HX400V, Sony DSC-HX300 and DSC-H2 retired)

Steve p

Post by Steve p »

Always thought jump jet for the Harrier was pretty bad, but i think most names do come from the people who work/worked with them.
I wonder what the Russian crews call there Mig 31s or Su-24s, do they call them foxhounds and fencers??.

Steve p

Post by Steve p »

jalfrezi wrote:
TKK 140 wrote:

Americans call jelly jello and jam jelly, all very confusing for us Brits. :grin:

Alanko

Post by Alanko »

effects wrote:I think you will find that the names 'Tonka' and 'Wokka' both come from the people that use them.

Which is fair enough, as they're entitled to use these phrases as they operate the equipment. Using the same slang as the pilots, to try and appear to be in some sort of inner circle of knowing, is cringeworthy.

effects

Post by effects »

Alanko wrote:
effects wrote:I think you will find that the names 'Tonka' and 'Wokka' both come from the people that use them.

Which is fair enough, as they're entitled to use these phrases as they operate the equipment. Using the same slang as the pilots, to try and appear to be in some sort of inner circle of knowing, is cringeworthy.

With that statement you have probably condemned 80% of UKAR! :lol:
Nikon P900 (Sony DSC-HX400V, Sony DSC-HX300 and DSC-H2 retired)

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

I don't think any of the terms are especially "chavvy" (is it 2005 again?). What especially grates is having your Twitter timeline spammed by a million retweets by people who should really know better, of "spluff" and "jelly" attached to comfortably the worst soft, blurry, cropped aviation photography you'll probably ever see, with sad, lonely old men drooling over the photographers as if they are Katsu Tokunaga in a frock. That is far, far more irritating than the words themselves.

Aviamil

Post by Aviamil »

Nothing worse than being out and hearing 'UKAR' being said as if its a word....
It makes me think of the chav version of Fighter Control.
:clown:

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Most acronyms are pronounced as if they're a word.....after all, you presumably don't pronounce NATO, RADAR, LASER or CONUS by their component letters ( and how would you manage something like STANAVFORLANT ? )
:biggrin:
아직도 숨어있다

Aviamil

Post by Aviamil »

I had considered this, but thought UKAR is hardly any sort of officialdom.
Its more a collective based around gonzo or citizen journalism.

Screechy

Post by Screechy »

Doesn't bother me as much as seeing people with awfully edited pictures plastered with their own watermark as if the world is gagging to steal them, but... peeps do what peeps do, no accounting for taste

CJS

Post by CJS »

Brevet Cable wrote:Most acronyms are pronounced as if they're a word.....after all, you presumably don't pronounce NATO, RADAR, LASER or CONUS by their component letters ( and how would you manage something like STANAVFORLANT ? )
:biggrin:

*mortar board on* acronyms are a type of abbreviation in which the (usually first) letters of whatever it stands for are taken to form a new word (eg RIAT / NATO) which is then pronounced as one word. An initialism is an abbreviation when that doesn't happen (eg DBH / FBI - although there was a genius Fastshow sketch where they tried to pronounce FBI as a word :-D ). *mortarboard off - it's the holidays you prat!*

I agree about the watermarks. Funny thing is the ones that someone might want to actually steal tend to have well placed, unobtrusive marks. The ones stamped right across the middle do sometimes rather smack of wishful thinking!

I've wondered before, aren't they essentially pointless though anyway as the code attached to the photo (I can't remember what you call it) can't be removed but identifies the specific camera which took the image? Therefore it'd be easy to prove what was or wasn't yours.
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

And yet USA, FBI, SLR, GBU and others are referred to as TLAs..... :lol:
아직도 숨어있다

nighthawk999

Post by nighthawk999 »

CJS wrote:[quote="Brevet Cable"

I've wondered before, aren't they essentially pointless though anyway as the code attached to the photo (I can't remember what you call it) can't be removed but identifies the specific camera which took the image? Therefore it'd be easy to prove what was or wasn't yours.

Do you mean the EXIF info?

ericbee123

Post by ericbee123 »

Alanko wrote:

Are they allowed to continue to use those terms after they leave the service ? Should they be forced to wear a badge that says "I am allowed to call Tornados Tonkas as I flew them" ?

Just want to make sure I know the rules.
Disclaimer-I have spell/grammar checked this post, it may still contain mistakes that might cause offence.