Where has XH558 thread gone?

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Xm657

Re: Where has XH558 thread gone?

Post by Xm657 »

IgnatiusJReilly wrote:The 'buy now' exhortations in full shouty capitals along with the invitation to sign up for the 'non-news' newsletter, certainly makes me wonder how I've managed to get by these past weeks without receiving the weekly merchandising update...

I'm actually quite glad their GDPR re-sign up page didn't work for me. The emails I received of late rarely or ever contained anything useful, they just tended to annoy me with the latest fire-sale of David Walton's spare parts. I've found life without their emails much better as I can almost forget about the shambles at Doncaster!!

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

Brevet Cable wrote:Go on other websites, including the RIAT one, you'll see plenty of equally crap mugs for sale at similar prices.
VTST don't have the monopoly on crap mugs or other tat merchandise.

Its for a better cause though at least RIAT's tatt is for charity
https://www.airtattoo.com/the-trust

The VTST mugs presumable pay for Mr Pleming's groceries and incidentals!!

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Xm657 wrote:
The VTST mugs

The porcelain ones, or the ones made of flesh, bone and gammon?

IgnatiusJReilly

Post by IgnatiusJReilly »

Xm657 wrote:I'm actually quite glad their GDPR re-sign up page didn't work for me. The emails I received of late rarely or ever contained anything useful, they just tended to annoy me with the latest fire-sale of David Walton's spare parts. I've found life without their emails much better as I can almost forget about the shambles at Doncaster!!

I declined to re-sign up precisely because the emails were just a constant reminder of the lack of progress being made and thinly veiled merchandising adverts. I suspected that talk of a big announcement, which quietly downgraded to a status update, was just fluff dangled purely to try and get more sign ups. I'm glad I didn't fall for it.

Incidentally, I was reading the Navy Wings newsletter, the oily rag, the other day. The contrast between the two organisations who have similar goals is stark.
Eccentric, idealistic, and creative, sometimes to the point of delusion..

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

I too declined to continue receiving the "newsletters" precisely because they contained no actual news. Since the dumping outside of the airframes, the newsletters have been nothing but adverts for the tat for sale in the webstore, adverts for £100 moron-bait engine runs and news about the latest desperate flogging of spare parts either at the stores or on Ebay. The lack of genuine news about the airframes and the pie-in-the-sky shed they want to build meant that I'd rather not have my inbox spammed every Tuesday and Friday.

I wonder how many others decided they'd had enough of the marketing spam?

MikeH

Post by MikeH »

Has anyone managed to track Dr Pleming's yacht?

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

MikeH wrote:Has anyone managed to track Dr Pleming's yacht?

Think he's hiding it in his new hangar..:ninja:

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:I too declined to continue receiving the "newsletters" precisely because they contained no actual news. Since the dumping outside of the airframes, the newsletters have been nothing but adverts for the tat for sale in the webstore, adverts for £100 moron-bait engine runs and news about the latest desperate flogging of spare parts either at the stores or on Ebay. The lack of genuine news about the airframes and the pie-in-the-sky shed they want to build meant that I'd rather not have my inbox spammed every Tuesday and Friday.

Yeah I unsubscribed in some form of petty protest when Bruntingthorpe was officially off the cards.

Mind you... moron-bait engine runs? No interest to me, but if you really love the sound of Olympuses - who's to say someone's a moron just because they want to hear some Vulcan engines up close and are willing to pay?

Dan213

Post by Dan213 »

MiG_Eater wrote:
Dan O'Hagan wrote:I too declined to continue receiving the "newsletters" precisely because they contained no actual news. Since the dumping outside of the airframes, the newsletters have been nothing but adverts for the tat for sale in the webstore, adverts for £100 moron-bait engine runs and news about the latest desperate flogging of spare parts either at the stores or on Ebay. The lack of genuine news about the airframes and the pie-in-the-sky shed they want to build meant that I'd rather not have my inbox spammed every Tuesday and Friday.

Yeah I unsubscribed in some form of petty protest when Bruntingthorpe was officially off the cards.

Mind you... moron-bait engine runs? No interest to me, but if you really love the sound of Olympuses - who's to say someone's a moron just because they want to hear some Vulcan engines up close and are willing to pay?

There’s other places in the U.K. that they can see the same thing for far, far less

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

MiG_Eater wrote:

If you wish to pay £100 plus travel to be security-checked and dressed in a hi-viz tabard to stand near a Vulcan running its engines, when you can do the same at Wellesbourne (or indeed see a fleet of vintage jets at Bruntingthorpe) for an awful lot less then, yes, I think "moron" is about right.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

I agree with you in principle - but it seems 655 hasn't got any upcoming events: http://www.xm655.com/events.php

I feel the same as you in that the 558 events have no attraction for me whatsoever - but it does seem to be a unique experience at the moment; as far as Vulcans are concerned.

I'm just saying that just because someone's willing to pay a lot of money for something that has little appeal to you it doesn't mean they're a moron. Admittedly, if the activity *can* indeed be had elsewhere for a great deal less money, then yes - they are, most likely, morons.

Full Flaps

Post by Full Flaps »

This is a worrying development for anyone interested in GA and in Vulcan aircraft moving under their own power:
https://www.flyer.co.uk/wellesbourne-bu ... -decision/

Mods: please move to another thread if you think it not relevant to the conversation.

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

Full Flaps wrote:This is a worrying development for anyone interested in GA and in Vulcan aircraft moving under their own power:

Mods: please move to another thread if you think it not relevant to the conversation.

That as been in the pipeline for a while, its good news in some ways,
The warwick council said they would compulsory purchase the airfield.
This new move to try and kill off the local industry could be the trigger for this plan by Warwick council. :yahoo:

MicrolightDriver

Post by MicrolightDriver »

MiG_Eater wrote:...I'm just saying that just because someone's willing to pay a lot of money for something that has little appeal to you it doesn't mean they're a moron...

Agree with you, but there's always some people who 'think' it's fun to stereotype and talk other people / other people's choices down.

If you support a particular football team and want to watch them play, does it make you a 'moron' because someone else thinks there's a better team, who charge less for a ticket, elsewhere?

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

At the moment the only option you have to hear an Olympus running is Doncaster and 558. 655 wont run this year due to the ongoing troubles at Wellesbourne and the VRT are still some way away from public events at Southend. If you can afford £100 and expenses I would advise visiting 558 for the engine run event: who is to say the VTST finally collapses this year and 558 doesn't run again?

I'd rather keep donating to the VRT, as they are a much more honest and worthwhile group and have a very good chance of demonstrating not only an engine run, but taxi run to the public in the near future, and for a more affordable price due better access and no wage bills.

IgnatiusJReilly

MiG_Eater wrote:I agree with you in principle - but it seems 655 hasn't got any upcoming events: http://www.xm655.com/events.php

I'm sure I read on the VTTS page somewhere that they can only plan their engine run events with limited notice due to what I think they said was 'airport operational reasons'. Which I found strange at the time because surely the trust would be easily able to work around long standing scheduled operations. Clearly VTTS will always have to defer to a commercial operators needs, if it was a last minute urgent requirement, and that isn't going to care if an engine run has been booked for months or just the previous week.

It's not a big thing but for me, it's just another little reminder of the difficulties of co-existing on a busy commercial airport.

bernarde

Post by bernarde »

IgnatiusJReilly wrote:
MiG_Eater wrote:I agree with you in principle - but it seems 655 hasn't got any upcoming events: http://www.xm655.com/events.php

I'm sure I read on the VTTS page somewhere that they can only plan their engine run events with limited notice due to what I think they said was 'airport operational reasons'. Which I found strange at the time because surely the trust would be easily able to work around long standing scheduled operations. Clearly VTTS will always have to defer to a commercial operators needs, if it was a last minute urgent requirement, and that isn't going to care if an engine run has been booked for months or just the previous week.

It's not a big thing but for me, it's just another little reminder of the difficulties of co-existing on a busy commercial airport.

Its a load of old tosh. VTTS want you to think its down to the airport they're unable to do the runs and so forth when its clearly not. The airport will allow the use of the engine test bay (stand 503) subject (the only subject clause) that it doesn't have another aircraft in it, or adjacent on stands 501/502. In the past 3 months there has been one 747 on stand 503 which stayed for two days, namely a Wednesday and Thursday.

Maybe they should open up a little more to the public and get them to sponsor per litre of fuel, then thats a little more on point and truthful.

Doncaster have worked hard with VTTS, to accommodate it and make it work but there's only so much rope they will dangle, Peel lost out financially over the hangar 3 debacle, and then hangar 1, and when they couldn't afford that the airport offered them their current position (outside by the fuel farm) again being helpful. They are yet to reach an agreement on a fast taxi structure but after silicagate you can understand why they're a little hesitant as it is a commercial airport, and rightly so. Peel are a business and want to make money.. and when VTTS couldn't pay it, that's why shes now dumped outside.

Another cost cutting effort last week as they have now closed their last office in hangar 3 which is now empty.

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

In my view they just want to hang onto the merchandise cash stream.
Why the unit in nuneaton as been kept. The unit and the main stores in warwick are paying the wages.
With the airshow season in full swing the 558 tat stalls will be out run by volunteers while the upper
Lot sit back and take a wage. Bit like a pimp really.

IgnatiusJReilly

bernarde wrote:Its a load of old tosh.

I feel like such a fool, forgetting the first and golden rule of reading statements from VTTS.
#1 - don't believe a word VTTS say :oops:

MicrolightDriver

IgnatiusJReilly wrote:...I'm sure I read on the VTTS page somewhere that they can only plan their engine run events with limited notice due to what I think they said was 'airport operational reasons'. Which I found strange at the time because surely the trust would be easily able to work around long standing scheduled operations. Clearly VTTS will always have to defer to a commercial operators needs, if it was a last minute urgent requirement, and that isn't going to care if an engine run has been booked for months or just the previous week....

Sounds about right re having a limit on forward plans, to a certain extent anyway. As Bernarde confirms, they'd need to work with the airport to ensure the facilities aren't pre-booked for something else and I imagine planned engine testing might well be booked in the relatively short / medium term.

Not aware of any really short-term unplanned 'commercial' needs ever having conflicted with planned Vulcan EGRs, but I'm sure they'd work around it if they had to.

Engine Run dates set for July 14th, and also a date set for August so perhaps the ability to plan ahead is improving a bit.

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

Based on bernarde's comments on use of the engine testing bay, I wonder why VTST doesn't do them more often, I'm sure the volunteers wouldn't ever get sick of firing her up. I can only assume, in descending order of likelihood they don't do more runs because:

- The airport limit how often visitors can be brought airside?
- The EGRs are not cost effective - even at £100 maybe they only break even or make a loss?
- There isnt enough interest due to the £100 ticket price?

I really can't help feeling, the longer seemingly nothing is progressing, the enevitable collapse of the VTST edges ever closer. Its quite a depressing prospect as I dont see how the public will ever see or hear 558 again once the VTST is gone. Perhaps, if the hangar doesn't materialise, and it seems less and less likely it will, there could be one last ditch fund raise to at least buy the land next to the sewage works for 558, so she has at least secure parking, off the airport, for the future. That would at least give volunteers a chance to form some sort of group to preserve her - like 655Maps or the VRT.

MicrolightDriver

vulcan558 wrote:
Full Flaps wrote:This is a worrying development for anyone interested in GA and in Vulcan aircraft moving under their own power:

This new move to try and kill off the local industry could be the trigger for this plan by Warwick council. :yahoo:

Is that right though?

Are Warwick council involved? Did they ( or Statrford-upon-Avon council ) actually say they'd compulsory purchase the site? How would that be funded?

These people certainly think there's something to worry about:-

Save Wellesbourne Airfield

( as per Full Flaps' comment, is this subject better off in another thread?)

kinglear27

Post by kinglear27 »

MicrolightDriver wrote:
vulcan558 wrote:

Is that right though?

Are Warwick council involved? Did they ( or Statrford-upon-Avon council ) actually say they'd compulsory purchase the site? How would that be funded?

Stratford District Council did say that they would consider a CPO, but whether they will remains to be seen. The airfield tenants had a meeting with Stratford District Council earlier this week.
The tenants also plan to appeal the judgement regarding the extension of their tenancies, otherwise they must vacate by the middle of October.

MicrolightDriver

kinglear27 wrote:
MicrolightDriver wrote:
vulcan558 wrote:

Is that right though?

Stratford District Council did say that they would consider a CPO, but whether they will remains to be seen. The airfield tenants had a meeting with Stratford District Council earlier this week.
The tenants also plan to appeal the judgement regarding the extension of their tenancies, otherwise they must vacate by the middle of October.

Let's hope engaging Stratford council again produces some results - they've been great so far, but it's a big leap from voting through a planning restriction, to actually approving and then funding a CPO.

I think we all hoped this threat to XM655 had gone away, but seemingly not!

Southendnick

Post by Southendnick »

With a CPO in order to get one the council must demonstrate that taking over the site is necessary and that there is a compelling case in the public interest, they can not just turn up with a stack of money and take over the site, owners also have the right of appeal against the order.

The costs can be very high as the council would have to pay the full value of the property, additional costs that might force relocation of people or companies and in some cases additional payments which can include both sides legal costs so that the owner who the order is against is not left out of any pocket.
Spelling mistakes and grammatical error specialist

http://www.southendtimeline.com