Where has XH558 thread gone?

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
jules48

Re: Where has XH558 thread gone?

Post by jules48 »

HOORAY.Cannot believe people are so upset.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

There is no conspiracy here. The moderators will have quite rightly decided they'd had enough of people hiding behind made-up usernames behaving poorly, especially past/present VTTS employees. If VTTS want to engage with the public, they should be doing it under their real identities and through an official channel or account.

I welcome the removal of the thread, what's left to discuss? They're broke, it's abandoned in a corner of an obscure out-of-the-way airport who don't want it there, and still it has to pay other people before it pays for itself. While 426, 655 and numerous 'frames at Brunty fund nobody but their own upkeep and get on with things with dignity. And their operators don't come on forums pretending to be wide-eyed newcomers.

Sundowner

Post by Sundowner »

I stopped reading the thread once I realised it had turned into the trolls AGM. There's plenty of other good stuff on here to read.

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Sundowner wrote:I stopped reading the thread once I realised it had turned into the trolls AGM. There's plenty of other good stuff on here to read.

Ditto.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

frank

Post by frank »

The Baron wrote:
Sundowner wrote:I stopped reading the thread once I realised it had turned into the trolls AGM. There's plenty of other good stuff on here to read.

Ditto.

:clap: :clap:
Agreed

IgnatiusJReilly

Post by IgnatiusJReilly »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:The moderators will have quite rightly decided they'd had enough of people hiding behind made-up usernames behaving poorly, especially past/present VTTS employees. If VTTS want to engage with the public, they should be doing it under their real identities and through an official channel or account.

I always took those claims with a pinch of salt... Is that really true?
Eccentric, idealistic, and creative, sometimes to the point of delusion..

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

IgnatiusJReilly wrote:
Dan O'Hagan wrote:The moderators will have quite rightly decided they'd had enough of people hiding behind made-up usernames behaving poorly, especially past/present VTTS employees. If VTTS want to engage with the public, they should be doing it under their real identities and through an official channel or account.

I always took those claims with a pinch of salt... Is that really true?

FullFlaps certainly is. I've been given the same name for "Neverfuel" by three different sources too.

IgnatiusJReilly

Post by IgnatiusJReilly »

That is appalling....
Eccentric, idealistic, and creative, sometimes to the point of delusion..

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

It was very obvious that certain posts were anonymous ploys to try and turn opinion in the VttST's favour. It was a terribly misguided approach perhaps better left to political campaigning. Why the VttST cannot be open and honest and behave less like a political party or dodgy religious cult I don't know.

Entertaining as the thread was, there really is nothing left to discuss at the moment. It would have been nice though if the thread could have been left for public record and locked rather than hidden or deleted. It's removal feels uncomfortable as if the VttST has pressured this forum to delete negative comments about it from the internet. It will be interesting to see if the similarly negative Sad Sam thread is removed from their own forum.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

There is no pressure from anyone, and the thread remains intact. I could re-instate it a moments notice. We'll have a discussion amongst ourselves about whether or not we want it back, but for reasons already outlined in this thread, I'm of the opinion it has now run its course and UKAR is better off without it - it's an incredibly tedious and difficult thread to moderate and the users that frequent it have shown themselves to be incapable of abiding by the rules.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

wv383

Post by wv383 »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:There is no pressure from anyone, and the thread remains intact. I could re-instate it a moments notice. We'll have a discussion amongst ourselves about whether or not we want it back, but for reasons already outlined in this thread, I'm of the opinion it has now run its course and UKAR is better off without it - it's an incredibly tedious and difficult thread to moderate and the users that frequent it have shown themselves to be incapable of abiding by the rules.

Absolutely agree with you. It just seemed to be going on and on for the sake of it. Some just can't get used to the fact that it's grounded, it's stuck where it is. Pretty much 'end of'. There's plenty of other subjects for us to discuss rather than drag one thread on for ever and for what? Seemingly so that people can argue ad infinitum and be a breeding ground for trolls.
Simon

DonaldGrump

Post by DonaldGrump »

At the end of the day what stays on the board is ultimately rightly the decision of whoever owns the forum.

What I do struggle with is those who wine and bitch about the thread. Given they are intelligent enough to post on here surely they can process the concept of not contributing to a thread and not reading it. Simply ignore it and read and contribute to threads that are of interest to you? Busy body nimbyism is more annoying than anything ever written on the various Vulcan threads in my humble opinion. That sort of stuff needs to stay on faceache mums.net, twatter.

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

It's about time that this thread disappeared as well. :whistle:

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

While the above I agree with completely there is clearly a desire to discuss this subject and isn't that the whole point of a discussion forum? If you find it tedius they don't read it.

Only problem is some poor sole having to moderate it whether he is interested or not which must be horrendous.

reheat module

Post by reheat module »

Maybe the Mods could create a specific "Brunty" thread and pop the old 558 thread in there?
That should keep some people happy then...
Canon systems

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Despite what some have posted, the fact that there are now 40 posts in this topic in less than 24 hours would indicate people do still want to discuss it.
XH558 still exists, VTST still exists, the ongoing funding and location issues still exist, so there's no reason why a discussion topic shouldn't exist.

Possibly resurrect the last thread ( after it's been cleaned up ) or allow one of the new ones to continue, then instigate a policy of 'One warning, then you're ROP'd for a month' which would hopefully solve the problems which plagued the previous thread ?
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

st24

Post by st24 »

Big Eric wrote:It's about time that this thread disappeared as well. :whistle:

And I will then start a "Where has the Where has the XH558 thread gone gone?"
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:There is no pressure from anyone, and the thread remains intact. I could re-instate it a moments notice. We'll have a discussion amongst ourselves about whether or not we want it back, but for reasons already outlined in this thread, I'm of the opinion it has now run its course and UKAR is better off without it - it's an incredibly tedious and difficult thread to moderate and the users that frequent it have shown themselves to be incapable of abiding by the rules.

Why debate it, this is an airshow forum and does 558 attend any shows. If it attends then keep it if not then just throw the thread in the bin.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

DonaldGrump

Post by DonaldGrump »

Have a look at the board....discussion of civil aircraft, light aircraft, in reality its an aviation board, you could argue its an aviation photography website. Simple if you dont like the Vulcan discussion there are numerous other threads to peruse. Just stay off the ones in which you have no interest or indeed a dislike of the content.

I also like football, but I have an unhealthy dislike of Manchester United and simply dont watch them and do my best to ignore their supporters, but I dont dispute the right of them to run their club or the supporters to watch and discuss them. As much as would like to run amok with a flame thrower whenever I encounter them such actions will remain a childish fantasy and I will continue to simply watch and discuss other teams and enjoy my football.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Mooshie1956 wrote:Why debate it, this is an airshow forum and does 558 attend any shows. If it attends then keep it if not then just throw the thread in the bin.

So you'll be wanting the binning of any debates about 'Just Jane', all the ground-running aircraft ( so no more discussions about Bruntingthorpe ), WR963, any discussion about cockpit sections, etc. ??
아직도 숨어있다

minnie the moocher

Post by minnie the moocher »

Brevet Cable wrote:
Mooshie1956 wrote:Why debate it, this is an airshow forum and does 558 attend any shows. If it attends then keep it if not then just throw the thread in the bin.

So you'll be wanting the binning of any debates about 'Just Jane', all the ground-running aircraft ( so no more discussions about Bruntingthorpe ), WR963, any discussion about cockpit sections, etc. ??

why debate it? - possibly because there are still a few of us who care what happens to this a/c and there is nowhere else for people to discuss it - VTTS will not allow any discussion unless it falls in with their belief system (or alternative reality) - which some of us are just not buying anymore. Agreed the thread was turning into War and Peace but in amongst all the fluff and bluster there was also useful information coming to light which otherwise would have remained hidden.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

minnie the moocher wrote:VTTS will not allow any discussion unless it falls in with their belief system

Hasn't stopped it being discussed on the VTTS forum......and unless they've deleted it there's been plenty of 'negative discussion' on their social media sites too.
VTST aren't preventing discussion anywhere, they're simply ignoring it & failing to address peoples concerns.
아직도 숨어있다

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

I think they must be pretty thick skinned, all the criticism and Bruntingthorpe talk on here, other forums and social media seems to be water off a ducks back to VttST. They just ignore it all and carry on regardless.

Not really surprising though. There is no alternative to their strategy unless they agree to wind the Trust up and hand 558 over to the volunteers. Turkeys aren't going to vote for Christmas and VttST aren't going to change their grand plan. We can discuss this infinitum but VttST will do as they please. There will be one of two outcomes in the next year or two: they are proved right all along, the self funding hanger springs up and 558 lives happily ever after, or the Trust goes bust and 558 goes it alone at Doncaster hopefully with a new volunteer group to look after her outdoors. I know which one I expect but I've been wrong before.

MicrolightDriver

Post by MicrolightDriver »

Round and round we go.....Does this thread have to be about repetition?

Isn't that, and the inevitable reactions against it, what caused the thread to be binned?
Last edited by MicrolightDriver on Sat 12 Aug 2017, 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Brevet you're right of course, people still want to discuss 558 and the number of posts on this thread seem to prove that BUT look how many of them are - already - needless one upmanship and subtle point scoring/attempting to have the last laugh etc etc...it's fairly subtle but plainly obvious if you think about it.

The childish behaviour of several members on the previous 558 thread - including some who should jolly well know better - made it almost impossible to sift the nonsense from the actual discussion about the aircraft, let alone moderate it!
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"