Where has XH558 thread gone?

Re: Where has XH558 thread gone?

Postby Xm657 on Sat 02 Sep 2017, 11:27 pm

It a stange term to use "winter storage". Kind of suggests being put away safely over winter. But nothing is going to change - do they even have the expertise now to inhibit the engines? I really do hope this doesn't mean it's going to be left dormant outside over winter. Best way to look after her outdoors is to regular apply power and even dry cycle the engines.
Xm657

Re: Where has XH558 thread gone?

Postby Reds Rolling on Sun 03 Sep 2017, 8:44 am

Xm657 wrote:It a stange term to use "winter storage". Kind of suggests being put away safely over winter. But nothing is going to change - do they even have the expertise now to inhibit the engines? I really do hope this doesn't mean it's going to be left dormant outside over winter. Best way to look after her outdoors is to regular apply power and even dry cycle the engines.


Who knows? Who cares? Will the official 558 thread ever reappear or will this one continue as an off topic homage to the original?
Will O' Hagan ever stop imagining seeing VttS shills lurking in every part of the forum? Will the Brunty Victor ever fly again? Will it ever lose the pink non standard paint scheme?
These are things we need to know. :dizzy:
Reds Rolling

Re: Where has XH558 thread gone?

Postby Gregg on Sun 03 Sep 2017, 9:32 am

Reds Rolling wrote:
Xm657 wrote:It a stange term to use "winter storage". Kind of suggests being put away safely over winter. But nothing is going to change - do they even have the expertise now to inhibit the engines? I really do hope this doesn't mean it's going to be left dormant outside over winter. Best way to look after her outdoors is to regular apply power and even dry cycle the engines.


Who knows? Who cares? Will the official 558 thread ever reappear or will this one continue as an off topic homage to the original?
Will O' Hagan ever stop imagining seeing VttS shills lurking in every part of the forum? Will the Brunty Victor ever fly again? Will it ever lose the pink non standard paint scheme?
These are things we need to know. :dizzy:


And will you ever get over your brunty obsession? It really can't be healthy.

It's not pink by the way, hasn't been for quite some time.
Gregg

Re: Where has XH558 thread gone?

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Sun 03 Sep 2017, 11:16 am

Gregg wrote:
Reds Rolling wrote:
Xm657 wrote:It a stange term to use "winter storage". Kind of suggests being put away safely over winter. But nothing is going to change - do they even have the expertise now to inhibit the engines? I really do hope this doesn't mean it's going to be left dormant outside over winter. Best way to look after her outdoors is to regular apply power and even dry cycle the engines.


Who knows? Who cares? Will the official 558 thread ever reappear or will this one continue as an off topic homage to the original?
Will O' Hagan ever stop imagining seeing VttS shills lurking in every part of the forum? Will the Brunty Victor ever fly again? Will it ever lose the pink non standard paint scheme?
These are things we need to know. :dizzy:


And will you ever get over your brunty obsession? It really can't be healthy.

It's not pink by the way, hasn't been for quite some time.


RR is Homer, isn't it?
User avatar
Dan O'Hagan

Re: Where has XH558 thread gone?

Postby Reds Rolling on Sun 03 Sep 2017, 2:24 pm

Gregg wrote:And will you ever get over your brunty obsession? It really can't be healthy.

It's no worse than those who still can't get over 558 not going to brunty, and still go on and on about it. :biggrin:

Gregg wrote:It's not pink by the way, hasn't been for quite some time.

Are you finally admitting it never wore the pink scheme while in service then and what have you done to it now? A nice polka dot number? :pinkwafer: :grin:

Dan O'Hagan wrote:RR is Homer, isn't it?

Sadly, the only Homer I resemble these days is the one from the Simpsons. :lol:
Reds Rolling

Re: Where has XH558 thread gone?

Postby Xm657 on Sun 03 Sep 2017, 3:48 pm

Well I care what happens to it RR even if you don't. Reality is though nobody knows, should become clearer in 2018 how the future is going to pan out.
Xm657

Re: Where has XH558 thread gone?

Postby Gregg on Sun 03 Sep 2017, 6:26 pm

Reds Rolling wrote:
Gregg wrote:And will you ever get over your brunty obsession? It really can't be healthy.

It's no worse than those who still can't get over 558 not going to brunty, and still go on and on about it. :biggrin:

Gregg wrote:It's not pink by the way, hasn't been for quite some time.

Are you finally admitting it never wore the pink scheme while in service then and what have you done to it now? A nice polka dot number? :pinkwafer: :grin:

Dan O'Hagan wrote:RR is Homer, isn't it?

Sadly, the only Homer I resemble these days is the one from the Simpsons. :lol:



I never said it did and i never said it wasn't a shade of pink. I personally couldn't care less what colour they painted it. I'd actually go for polka dots if i had a say.
Gregg

Re: Where has XH558 thread gone?

Postby f4phixeruk on Mon 04 Sep 2017, 4:20 pm

I remember an article in 'Flypast' many years ago, where the owner of a spit or Hurricane was asked what he thought of people complaining about him painting the aircraft with gloss paint. His response was along the lines of 'until these complainers give me the money to paint/re-paint MY aircraft in authentic colours. I will paint it with whatever keeps it protected. If someone wants to pay me to paint it pink with purple dots. I will.

If people want an aircraft painted in a certain scheme. Stump up the money to the owners and get it done !!
If you eat high calorie foods with a Diet Coke, the drink cancels the calories out!
User avatar
f4phixeruk

Re: Where has XH558 thread gone?

Postby capercaillie on Mon 04 Sep 2017, 4:27 pm

f4phixeruk wrote:I remember an article in 'Flypast' many years ago, where the owner of a spit or Hurricane was asked what he thought of people complaining about him painting the aircraft with gloss paint. His response was along the lines of 'until these complainers give me the money to paint/re-paint MY aircraft in authentic colours. I will paint it with whatever keeps it protected. If someone wants to pay me to paint it pink with purple dots. I will.

If people want an aircraft painted in a certain scheme. Stump up the money to the owners and get it done !!


Who, the well off owners who can afford to buy and fly a Spitfire in the first place? Yeah OK, makes sense. :question:
"The surrogate voice of st24"
User avatar
capercaillie

Re: Where has XH558 thread gone?

Postby Xm657 on Mon 04 Sep 2017, 5:00 pm

When 558 needs a repaint (as she will if left outdoors for many years) it would be nice to think the public who will likely be asked to pay for it, get a say.

XM715 looks immaculate and is a credit to those who look after her (in their own time for free).
Xm657

Re: Where has XH558 thread gone?

Postby CJS on Mon 04 Sep 2017, 10:42 pm

Tiger stripes.

Or perhaps silver with Redbull all over it?

No no wait...paint it up to look like Gromit, that'd work. Then charge £200 for kids to have their photo taken with it.

Job done.

You're welcome. :-P
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?
User avatar
CJS

Re: Where has XH558 thread gone?

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 05 Sep 2017, 11:57 am

Posted on the VTTS forum earlier today, a photo showing the current location of XH558 & WK163 :

Image
Unofficial forum brauer und winzer
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
User avatar
Brevet Cable

Re: Where has XH558 thread gone?

Postby Reds Rolling on Tue 05 Sep 2017, 1:31 pm

Gregg wrote:It's not pink by the way, hasn't been for quite some time.

Gregg wrote:I never said it did and i never said it wasn't a shade of pink.

Wow, you've managed to completely contradict yourself in two posts. So it's not pink, but is a shade of pink.
So if I'm not mistaken the colour would be best described as, hmm let think for a second, oh yeah.....PINK! :grin:
The pink may have faded a bit due to being outside in all weathers, but it's still pink! :facepalm:

Gregg wrote:I personally couldn't care less what colour they painted it. I'd actually go for polka dots if i had a say.

Maybe if they rub it down again they might find some other bit of undercoat or primer that resembles a polka dot and can convince themselves that scheme was used in service! :lmao:

Xm657 wrote:XM715 looks immaculate and is a credit to those who look after her (in their own time for free).

The Sea Vixen looked immaculate in a Red Bull scheme, but that still wasn't authentic, not that DHA were ever trying to pass it off as being.

Brevet Cable wrote:Posted on the VTTS forum earlier today, a photo showing the current location of XH558 & WK163

I see no tarpaulins! :question:
Reds Rolling

Re: Where has XH558 thread gone?

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 05 Sep 2017, 1:43 pm

From a post on the VTTS forum....
The concrete apron to the right of XH558 ( the fenced-off bit with the three greyish 'circles' on it ) is apparently where the planned new hangar is going to be built
Unofficial forum brauer und winzer
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
User avatar
Brevet Cable

Re: Where has XH558 thread gone?

Postby vulcan558 on Tue 05 Sep 2017, 3:48 pm

Wont be long before one of those tankers crash into 558, as soon as the weather turns up north, ice snow etc.
Those cones wont stop a tanker sliding in the ice or snow.

The fence around that land tells you its not airport owned.
vulcan558

Re: Where has XH558 thread gone?

Postby Xm657 on Tue 05 Sep 2017, 4:16 pm

What point are you trying to make RR? What on earth has the colour of a Victor at Bruntingthorpe got to do with 558? If they did get the colour a bit wrong why does it matter, they funded and did the repaint out of their own pockets. Colour looks spot on to me now and no corrosion despite outdoor storage. Let's hope the VttST can look after 558 as well outdoors - they should do since they are getting paid wages to do so afterall.
Xm657

Re: Where has XH558 thread gone?

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Tue 05 Sep 2017, 4:29 pm

Has anyone ever provided a compelling reason why ANYONE still needs to recieve a salary, part-time or otherwise, from an aeroplane which is never going to fly again, and which is living hand-to-mouth just to sit next to a dung-heap in Yorkshire?

The gravy train analogy is fair. Beef stock. Chicken stock. Laughing stock.
User avatar
Dan O'Hagan

Re: Where has XH558 thread gone?

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 05 Sep 2017, 4:35 pm

vulcan558 wrote:The fence around that land tells you its not airport owned.

Which is something that was already known -- the fact that the new hangar is planned to be outside the airport environs ( with, unless I'm mistaken, plans to construct a taxi-way to link it to the dispersal area where XH558 is now )
It was definitely stated in the old XH558 thread & I'm pretty sure Dr Plemming said as much in the podcast he dd with DanO'.
Unofficial forum brauer und winzer
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
User avatar
Brevet Cable

Re: Where has XH558 thread gone?

Postby Gregg on Tue 05 Sep 2017, 4:58 pm

Reds Rolling wrote:
Gregg wrote:It's not pink by the way, hasn't been for quite some time.

Gregg wrote:I never said it did and i never said it wasn't a shade of pink.

Wow, you've managed to completely contradict yourself in two posts. So it's not pink, but is a shade of pink.
So if I'm not mistaken the colour would be best described as, hmm let think for a second, oh yeah.....PINK! :grin:
The pink may have faded a bit due to being outside in all weathers, but it's still pink! :facepalm:

Gregg wrote:I personally couldn't care less what colour they painted it. I'd actually go for polka dots if i had a say.

Maybe if they rub it down again they might find some other bit of undercoat or primer that resembles a polka dot and can convince themselves that scheme was used in service! :lmao:

Xm657 wrote:XM715 looks immaculate and is a credit to those who look after her (in their own time for free).

The Sea Vixen looked immaculate in a Red Bull scheme, but that still wasn't authentic, not that DHA were ever trying to pass it off as being.

Brevet Cable wrote:Posted on the VTTS forum earlier today, a photo showing the current location of XH558 & WK163

I see no tarpaulins! :question:


I never said it wasn't pink. What i did say was that it isn't pink. Saying it isn't pink (present tense) is not saying it wasn't pink (past tense). So no contradiction here, just a lack of comprehension on your part.

But on a slightly more serious and relevent note, get help. This obsession of yours can't be healthy at all.
Gregg

Re: Where has XH558 thread gone?

Postby Xm657 on Tue 05 Sep 2017, 5:12 pm

The guy I spoke to at the VttST stand at Fairford said that due to the HLF commitments they had to have paid staff, particularly to do Engine runs!

Maybe they are still clinging to the idea the Trust will operate other flying aircraft in the future and they need to be a professional salaried organisation. My worry is they will bleed the 558 fans dry (or disallusion the fans one by one when they see their money fritted away with nothing to show for it), eventually making the task of a purely voluntary organisation much harder. They would probably need to raise another £200K to pay themselves redundancy though and there is the issue of the 750K owed to the HLF to content with.

It all seems to have become a cluster f***. Well maybe this is the price to be paid for getting to see a flying Vulcan for a few more years.

With regard to the land. My understanding was that it was currently owned by the water authority. I presumed the airport was in the process of buying it, or maybe the optimistic developer is buying it. Presumably the developer must have an idea a hangar here could be used for something else in the future when 558 either can't pay the rent or moves into the shiny new Etna center.
Xm657

Re: Where has XH558 thread gone?

Postby vulcan558 on Tue 05 Sep 2017, 6:50 pm

Xm657 wrote:The guy I spoke to at the VttST stand at Fairford said that due to the HLF commitments they had to have paid staff, particularly to do Engine runs!

Maybe they are still clinging to the idea the Trust will operate other flying aircraft in the future and they need to be a professional salaried organisation. My worry is they will bleed the 558 fans dry (or disallusion the fans one by one when they see their money fritted away with nothing to show for it), eventually making the task of a purely voluntary organisation much harder. They would probably need to raise another £200K to pay themselves redundancy though and there is the issue of the 750K owed to the HLF to content with.

It all seems to have become a cluster f***. Well maybe this is the price to be paid for getting to see a flying Vulcan for a few more years.

With regard to the land. My understanding was that it was currently owned by the water authority. I presumed the airport was in the process of buying it, or maybe the optimistic developer is buying it. Presumably the developer must have an idea a hangar here could be used for something else in the future when 558 either can't pay the rent or moves into the shiny new Etna center.

Maybe the Developer intrested in the land as now stumbled on the complex patch of ground there.
Under ground water and under ground fuel pipes. Getting electrical power and water and waste pipeing in amongst that lot.plus digging the foundations.
vulcan558

Re: Where has XH558 thread gone?

Postby MicrolightDriver on Tue 05 Sep 2017, 7:07 pm

vulcan558 wrote:Wont be long before one of those tankers crash into 558, as soon as the weather turns up north, ice snow etc.
Those cones wont stop a tanker sliding in the ice or snow.


It's ( South ) Yorkshire, not Yukon.
User avatar
MicrolightDriver

Re: Where has XH558 thread gone?

Postby Reds Rolling on Tue 05 Sep 2017, 7:58 pm

Gregg wrote:I never said it wasn't pink. What i did say was that it isn't pink. Saying it isn't pink (present tense) is not saying it wasn't pink (past tense). So no contradiction here, just a lack of comprehension on your part.

But on a slightly more serious and relevent note, get help. This obsession of yours can't be healthy at all.

So it's not pink now, but was in the past? Tell you what, just tell us what colour you think it is now and get back to us! :lol:
As for an obsession with the Victor, well I'd say it wasn't any different to some heres obsession with 558, so at least I'm in good company! :biggrin:

Xm657 wrote:What point are you trying to make RR? What on earth has the colour of a Victor at Bruntingthorpe got to do with 558?

Nothing, but then what has this thread got to do with 558 apart from being a thread that asked about where the official thread had gone?

That was answered on page one, which I'll quote here for those who have chosen to completely ignore the mods wishes and continue with the 558 discussion merry-go-round!

LN Strike Eagle wrote:Nothing to do with VTTS. Removed (for the time being at least) because I'm very tired of it, as are the other staffers - round and round in circles, day in, day out, with the same arguments, same put-downs, same personal attacks and dealing with the same reports over and over. If I ban one, I'd have to ban five, so better to just bin it. Reflects badly on all of us and quite frankly, for the handful that still care, they may as well just take it to PMs and squabble amongst themselves and spare the rest of us. Does away with some of the biggest trolls on the forum too, since that bloody Vulcan is all some of them are interested in. :up:

So, my comments are just as off-topic here as everyone else's, and if the mods want to allow a discussion thread for 558 then they should either bring the old one back or given their express permission for another to be created. As they haven't then perhaps people should respect their wishes for now and stop banging on about the bloody Vulcan and VttS. :icecream:
Reds Rolling

Re: Where has XH558 thread gone?

Postby Rebecca_1984 on Tue 05 Sep 2017, 8:05 pm

Dan O'Hagan wrote:Has anyone ever provided a compelling reason why ANYONE still needs to recieve a salary, part-time or otherwise, from an aeroplane which is never going to fly again, and which is living hand-to-mouth just to sit next to a dung-heap in Yorkshire?

The gravy train analogy is fair. Beef stock. Chicken stock. Laughing stock.


No but whenever anyone asks the question on any VTTS social media the posts are removed very quickly, you only need to have a couple of seconds on any of the numerous Vulcan groups on Facebook and suchlike to see just how sick to death of the entire project even most of the fans for want of a better word have become.
Rebecca_1984

Re: Where has XH558 thread gone?

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 05 Sep 2017, 8:34 pm

vulcan558 wrote:Maybe the Developer intrested in the land as now stumbled on the complex patch of ground there.
Under ground water and under ground fuel pipes. Getting electrical power and water and waste pipeing in amongst that lot.plus digging the foundations.

Again as posted on the VTTS forum, the grey 'circles' on that 'patch of ground' ( as you call it ) are bore-holes which were drilled to test the condition of the concrete below the tarmac surface.
And despite your claims of 'stumbling on' things, any & all pipework will already be on any plans of the area....it's not as if they stuck pipework & cabling underground without marking it when they built the tank farm & sewage works.
Unofficial forum brauer und winzer
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
User avatar
Brevet Cable

PreviousNext

Return to Aviation Waffle

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: TonyC and 25 guests