Dartmouth Air Display cancelled

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
vandal

Re: Dartmouth Air Display cancelled

Post by vandal »

CJS wrote:If the boats were in a place they weren't meant to be, under or too close to the display area, then I fail to see the difference.

They were asked to move. They didn't. It's their fault it was cancelled. The FDD made the right call and I hope the boos weren't for him/her but for the boat owners.

How is it different to a secondary crowd in a naughty field somewhere? We may not like health and safety but - much like motorway speed limits which are decades out of date - if we choose not to abide by them we must be ready to take the consequences.

Similarly, when Lossiemouth hosted their Families and Friends day at the start of August, everyone was warned that the Typhoon display would not go ahead if anyone happened to be in any of the areas around the airfield that were deemed to be within the display area and potentially unsafe. What happened here should send a very clear message that they were not joking. Everyone with any sense would realise though that where safety is such a priority, there really is nothing to second guess, and however unwelcome the decision not to display was, it was the right one.

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

The Typhoon displayed on Saturday according to one of my workmates, so the boat issue must have been sorted in the end?

Reds Rolling

Post by Reds Rolling »

TYPHOON3 wrote:The Typhoon displayed on Saturday according to one of my workmates, so the boat issue must have been sorted in the end?

He did. I suppose once people knew the display would definitely be cancelled, then they complied with the request.

st24

Post by st24 »

Interesting alternative ways of looking at this issue elsewhere in that this is after all Dartmouth Regatta which immediately suggests a very maritime event for mariners of all shapes and sizes. For years many have stayed with their vessels watching the pretty aeroplanes scream overhead but now they're being told to vacate for what must rank, no matter how spectacular, a secondary event to the main theme...
I guess many are asking if this is a big boat show or an air show... I'm not fussed either way though I know many have said what a great venue it is to watch/shoot...
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

So in the words of the Donald this whole thread has been based on fake news? Or was it cancelled on the Saturday but then went ahead on the Sunday?

Reds Rolling

Post by Reds Rolling »

The Friday evening display got cancelled, but went ahead on the Saturday. There was no Sunday display booked.

planenuttoo

Post by planenuttoo »

this is how Bournemouth cover it......
https://d2hpz65nz61hf.cloudfront.net/li ... w-Plan.pdf