Another type being restored to fly - Sea Hornet

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
boff180
UKAR Staff

Another type being restored to fly - Sea Hornet

Post by boff180 »

Reported by Classic Wings Magazine on their Facebook this
Morning.

The most complete example of a Sea Hornet (which is in quite a state) - TT193 has been moved indoors in Auckland and will now be restored to flight.

Excellent news.

Andy

Smog Monster

Re: Another type being restored to fly - Sea Hornet

Post by Smog Monster »

That's something I'd love to see!

planenuttoo

Post by planenuttoo »

Wow, I suppose as they are in NZ where they make the frames, it's a good opportunity.

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Fantastic project, though I understood that the problem with Hornet variants was that no drawings still exist and without a complete airframe for a template, producing the necessary jigs would not be possible? Interested to see the solution (or a rebuttal of my current understanding). Much more interested to see the thing in the air!

I'm sure I remember reading that the Hornet was capable of 485 mph in level flight, though Wikipedia quotes 475. Move over previous pretenders to the status of ultimate piston fighter....

John

Seahornet

Post by Seahornet »

Did someone call my name...?

You might guess that I'd be very interested in this, if there is any possibility of it happening. I suspect that 'TT193' may fall into the 'bag of bits' category, but I imagine that a KA114-style rebuild would be possible if sufficient data / drawings remain in existence. Certainly, nothing remotely resembling a complete airframe does, sadly.

The DH103 is not a well-known aircraft, so there's unlikely to be a successful VttS-style public fund raising effort. If there is any truth to this one, I can only imagine that someone like me has won the lottery...

...which I haven't :sad: :lol:
Last edited by Seahornet on Wed 20 Sep 2017, 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
And as the smart ship grew,
In stature, grace and hue,
In shadowy silent distance grew the iceberg too....

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

From a quick search :

Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Seahornet

Post by Seahornet »

Brevet Cable wrote:From a quick search :

Indeed, that seems to be the remains of TT193 as 'found' in Canada, a few years ago. Someone has already spent a bit of cash, if that is now in Auckland...

...or are 'Chinese whispers' at work here? :confused:

Mike

Post by Mike »

No 'Chinese Whispers' at all. Avspecs have already confirmed that they have the project and will be rebuilding it to fly. That's a pretty fair starting point, more than many Spitfires these days.

The Hornet contained quite a bit of metalwork, especially in the centre section. Many people assume that it was a straight development of the Mosquito, whereas in reality it came after the Vampire in the lineage of de Havilland designs, and borrows much from the Vampire's mixed wood and metal construction.

Mike

Post by Mike »

Avspecs' release on their Facebook page:

Avspecs wrote:The announcement in Classic Wings Downunder has caused quite a stir it seems there are a lot of people out there who are as excited as us about this. We have already had a lot of questions asked about all manner of details so hopefully my bullet points below will answer most of these.

The project is currently owned by Pioneer Aero.

It is located at our hangar at Ardmore, Auckland New Zealand and at this point is not available for public viewing.

Yes the intention is to return it to flight.

It is a DH 103 Sea Hornet, it is not a Mosquito

There is still a lot of detail to be worked through so we have no firm idea of time frames at this stage.

Yes we are a little crazy.

It is appropriate at this stage to acknowledge and thank the following people.

Corin McCrae , Aerowood.

Mr Reg Field.

David Collins, Project Hornet. U.K.

Hugh Jones U.K.

ErrolC

Post by ErrolC »

Mike wrote:Avspecs' release on their Facebook page:

Avspecs wrote:The announcement in Classic Wings Downunder has caused quite a stir it seems there are a lot of people out there who are as excited as us about this. We have already had a lot of questions asked about all manner of details so hopefully my bullet points below will answer most of these.

The project is currently owned by Pioneer Aero.

It is located at our hangar at Ardmore, Auckland New Zealand and at this point is not available for public viewing.

Yes the intention is to return it to flight.

It is a DH 103 Sea Hornet, it is not a Mosquito

There is still a lot of detail to be worked through so we have no firm idea of time frames at this stage.

Yes we are a little crazy.

It is appropriate at this stage to acknowledge and thank the following people.

Corin McCrae , Aerowood.

Mr Reg Field.

David Collins, Project Hornet. U.K.

Hugh Jones U.K.

You need to check out the difference between Avspecs and Pioneer Aero. Avspecs are involved in the Mosquitos (including the Mosquito Pathfinder Trust project). Pioneer are the Sea Hornet. Both at Ardmore Airport, Auckland. Nearby is Aerowood, involved with the specifically wooden parts of the projects.

Pioneer's website:
http://www.pioneeraero.co.nz/2017/09/18 ... net-tt193/

planenuttoo

Post by planenuttoo »

More positive news then. It would be great to see quite an awesome aircraft brought back to life.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Seahornet wrote:Indeed, that seems to be the remains of TT193 as 'found' in Canada, a few years ago.

Apparently what's in the photo is all that was left -- the wings ( or most of them, anyway ) and the centre-section of the fuselage.
Still, it's more than a lot of 'restoration' projects have started with.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Seahornet

Post by Seahornet »

Another problem is likely to be sourcing suitable engines. The Merlin 130, 131, 133 and 134 were 'slimline' versions, specifically adapted to fit the Hornet's slender nacelles - are there any suitable candidates in existence? Since they are effectively building from scratch, it's feasible that they could adapt the engine installation to suit 'standard' Merlins, as per the Mosquito. However, that then raises the issue of the reverse rotation required for the port engine. I can't imagine it would be that easy to re-engineer the reduction gearing, whilst a Hornet with both props turning the same way might have unacceptable handing issues - and just wouldn't be 'quite right', somehow.... :question:

(Oh, and before anyone asks; no my R/C Sea Hornet doesn't have the engines turning in opposite directions - left-handed OS-10s are even rarer than Merlins!)

I really, really, really want this project to work out, but I can't help thinking that it makes knocking out a Mossie look like child's play, by comparison! :shock: