RAF 100 anniversary colour schemes

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Brevet Cable

Re: RAF 100 anniversary colour schemes

Post by Brevet Cable »

Mike wrote:
Brevet Cable wrote:Because unless I'm mistaken the same insipid yellow colour scheme was also one of those used on the WW1 aircraft used during training......

It's clear dope applied to uncoloured fabric, not 'insipid yellow', and all aircraft were finished that way until they thought it was a good idea to start applying camouflage later in the Great War. Nothing whatever to do with training. :roll:

Yep, because they never painted aircraft in any other colour during the early period, did they :roll:
It's insipid yellow....or are you trying to claim that it's completely colourless ?
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Mike

Post by Mike »

Brevet Cable wrote:Yep, because they never painted aircraft in any other colour during the early period, did they :roll:

No, they didn't.

For the benefit of the hard of thinking, let me repeat. All Brirish military aircraft were originally finished in clear doped fabric. Not painted. Really.

Later on, in 1916, PC10 (a greenish-brown finish) was applied to the upper surfaces of RFC aircraft on the Western Front, and PC12 (a more reddish colour, as applied to Shuttleworth's Bristol M.1c replica) in the Middle East. Undersurfaces generally remained in clear doped linen.

Trainer yellow was not introduced until a decade or so after the end of the Great War.

I see that you've branched out from talking utter bollocks about XH558 to talking utter bollocks about paint finishes on early British Aeroplanes; both are subjects you appear to know little or nothing about.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

My, you really do have a weed up your arse, don't you. :handbag:
How is dope applied, by the way ?
That's right, it's painted on.
Please feel free to continue your ranting, as yet again I find it highly entertaining.
:cuppa:
아직도 숨어있다

XP282

Post by XP282 »

BC.
I’m sorry to get involved but dope isn’t painted on. Paint is applied, and dope is applied. You can’t paint dope on as dope isn’t paint. If you applied a clear lacquer to aluminium would you say you painted it silver? It’s ok to admit you got it wrong some times!

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Alright guys enough of the vitriol. Any more and the thread will be locked. Civility please
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

PeterR wrote:
capercaillie wrote:That sort of thing, similar to the US Navy's centenary schemes applied across the fleet would be awesome to see. Like you I don't see it happening, although there should be no harm in painting a few airframes destined for retirement in the short term. Tucano in silver/dayglo and one in yellow, Tornado in Lancaster bomber command colours, another perhaps in coastal command colours, King Air in red/white/grey, Hercules as you mention in light stone/dark earth, dig a Tranche 1 Typhoon out and paint it up in 11sqn silver Lightning scheme. Some imagination would go a long way.

A full proposal for such a scheme was put forward, with 25 airframes in a series of 'retro' colour schemes, including those such as you suggested. But AFAIK the proposal has not been followed through.

It’s depressing that this does not surprise me. I’ll bet much more time & money has been devoted to getting the “corporate image” *just* right according to a committee of suits in Whitehall instead.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Wissam24 wrote:Alright guys enough of the vitriol. Any more and the thread will be locked. Civility please

My apologies. :oops:
아직도 숨어있다

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Wissam24 wrote:Alright guys enough of the vitriol. Any more and the thread will be locked. Civility please

A bit heavy handed for what I'm sure most would consider a healthy discussion...
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

I would really like them to keep the Tucano special scheme next year. It is a fantastic look which represents the Belfast Telegraph Spitfire fund. I doubt we will get many full schemes, but mostly special tails. I would like the return of a GINA type Typhoon though.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

The Baron wrote:

A bit heavy handed for what I'm sure most would consider a healthy discussion...

Perfectly justified in my case......I'll admit that I was bored & indulging in a bout of WUMing.
아직도 숨어있다

Andover

Post by Andover »

For RAF100, Cosford ought to paint their VC10 in its former transport colours, and the Herc in former green/grey camo. :smile:

toom317
UKAR Supporter

Post by toom317 »

Andover wrote: and the Herc in former green/grey camo. :smile:

They were in sand and brown, with white over the cockpit, long before they were green/grey. (As were the Andovers :smile: )
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.

centaurus18

Post by centaurus18 »

In an ideal world and budgets allowing, a Chinook would look great in the old style camouflage!
Mark
'We’re in the stickiest situation, since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.'

King Cobra

Post by King Cobra »

capercaillie wrote:The Blue Phantoms were awful and looked like they'd been painted with a stick. The 19sqn one didn't make much sense anyhow and 92 sqn is defunct, which is why the other one wore the scheme. Same goes for 111 sqn being defunct, albeit Black Mike had a superb professional look.

If you're going to paint aircraft it should have some relevance to the unit or aircraft and not because something was painted like that for a completely different reason years ago. When the Tornado retires a part camo, part grey tear scheme with all the previous squadron operators on the massive tail canvas would suffice.

The problem next year is that it is 100 years of the RAF and not just the squadrons, many of which have already had their centenary schemes. So the most likely is a 100 years of RAF scheme on a display Typhoon and some stickers similar to the recent 60 years of Luftwaffe paraded on the German stuff plastered over the rest, with the Reds having a new 100 years fin.

Correction, they were superb. As for the 19 sqd one not making sense, it may have escaped your notice that the Cod Quad's colours are blue and white so a blue F-4 was appropriate. As for 92 being defunct, it wasn't at the time XV408 was painted blue and the scheme made reference to both 92's Blue Diamond days as well as it's Lightning era. A quite fitting scheme to mark the Cobras disbandment at the time.

st24

Post by st24 »

toom317 wrote:
They were in sand and brown, with white over the cockpit, long before they were green/grey. (As were the Andovers :smile: )

Ahem, Light Stone, Dark Earth..... :biggrin:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Ruislip Rustler

Post by Ruislip Rustler »

The is something planned involving multiple aircraft types, but no full re-paints as I understand it as the senior Air Heads are mindful of the fact that some serving members don't exactly have the best accommodation to live in and don't want to be seen as frittering cash away unnecessarily.
Insert witty / sarcastic / uncalled for comment (* delete as applicable)

www.leezpics.com

zigzag

Post by zigzag »

st24 wrote:Ahem, Light Stone, Dark Earth..... :biggrin:

In other words

Humbrol 121
&
Humbrol 29

:biggrin:
If you like these pics there are more utterly brilliant shots at https://www.flickr.com/photos/131094099@N08/albums
#MOT

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

I would like to see a Hawk , Tucano, and a Tornado painted in the schemes they entered service in. A C-130 in grey/green camo, a Voyager in Transport Command grey/white. Nice to see a helicopter in a special scheme too, rather than the chinook tails. A arctic scheme Puma would be nice.

st24

Post by st24 »

zigzag wrote:
st24 wrote:Ahem, Light Stone, Dark Earth..... :biggrin:

In other words

Humbrol 121
&
Humbrol 29

:biggrin:

So you are a number cruncher - I knew it!! :grin:
Wonder how many tins you'd need for a full size Herc?... :dizzy: :hypno:

Andover

Post by Andover »

The Herc served far longer in the 'northern climes' camo than desert camo.

Humbrol 29 is too light for the sand 'n' sh!t ( :lol: ) scheme.

st24

Post by st24 »

Andover wrote:The Herc served far longer in the 'northern climes' camo than desert camo..

Just trying to work out when they lost the NATO camo.. Entered service in '67 in "mid East" camo and I think the last on was repainted in 1980 so 13 years or so. First NATO camo was 1977 until '94/5ish?? so 14/15 years?? :dunno:

Andover

Post by Andover »

I think actually (just to be picky) the first green/grey was 1975, first all-over grey was 1992, (not sure when all-over green started) and last green/grey was 2000, when they were part-exchanged in US. :smile:

SPLAT

Post by SPLAT »

How about a Sentinel with a 56F squadron Pheonix on the tail and a flash under the cockpit and a fully black Typhoon with a golden Simon Templar man

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

SPLAT wrote: a fully black Typhoon with a golden Simon Templar man

Why? A Tutor perhaps. :question:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

SPLAT

Post by SPLAT »

Just thought the 16 Sqdn Saint would look smart on a Tyhphoon!
As an aside , would also like to see a Voyager in the white top with blue flash going through , like the old VC10'S