Re: Northolt Night Photoshoot XXIVa Thursday 19th April 2018

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
bernarde

Post by bernarde »

ChrisWaddle wrote:Fe, Fe, Fe, Pulling permission for ground-running, with no warning, sounds like the station seniority don't want the burden of this event anymore. Ah, Ah, say Boy...

Think outside the box a little more - could have been anything from inadequate fire cover to actual crews saying no. I've been to several of these events over the years and Phil and the team do a sterling job.

Ruislip Rustler

Post by Ruislip Rustler »

aknott68 wrote:Sorry what sort of response is that I'm not asking to name and shame individuals I'm just trying to understand what the logic was behind the decision as it seems strange choice to make something must have changed. If you. Want to bury your head in the sand rather than address that change circumstance Ruislip rustler then fine but my view is that th same situation may occur in October.
Again absolutely no criticism implied to any of the people who work hard to arrange the event

In very simple terms, then:

It doesn't matter to you who made the decision. It was made. If you honestly think that we sat there and didn't question the decision when it was announced then you are wrong.

The event continues to be supported by the station executives, otherwise you'd have all had something different to do last night and Phil wouldn't have been on the verge of a second heart attack. The issue will be addressed ahead of the next nightshoot and, hopefully, we'll have time to promulgate the decision ahead of October's gathering.
Insert witty / sarcastic / uncalled for comment (* delete as applicable)

www.leezpics.com

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Just two points of constructive criticism from Thursday for next time now that I’ve thought about it.

1. The air stairs, the RAF guys were trying to control numbers on top but only standing one end of the pair stuck together, people were ignoring them and just going up the other set. Similarly, there was (for the first time in my experience) an apparent lack of regard for others up there. All my elevated shots have been ruined by vibration from people walking about.etc.

2. Good to see no flash photography, however any chance of a change in the rules that “light painting” on the main pan is also not allowed please? There was one individual once it started getting dark who was using a torch on the Chipmunk/Tucano during their exposure cocking up everyone else’s photos who then had to wait for him to finish and retake their shots. Understand that it’s a valid technique but there’s no need on the main pan under those spotlamps.

Just a few thoughts.

Ta

Andy

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

alisdairanderson wrote:I've not sorted through any others yet, but here's the Pembroke:

That answers the question as to where WV740 went to when it departed St Athan on Thursday morning. :up:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Harlequin67
UKAR Supporter

Post by Harlequin67 »

I would like to thank Phil and the Station team for another great event. It was sad to hear about the non-running of engines at this event. However, as a someone who has been to nearly all these events any change to the way the event is structured is an opportunity to experiment with a different combinations.

For me, it was a move away from a shorter zoom, to a longer and much heavier zoom. It was interesting to try and get some shots and find the best compositions....anything that helps my poor compositional eye is a good thing. We probably all could do with getting out of the comfort zones and trying something different, never too old to learn and never too good to learn more.

We as aviation photographers are used to events and visits not being as planned, or as expected. We bitch and moan, but we know it happens.

Already looking forward to the next event.
Aviation photographer - Achievement unlocked

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

bernarde wrote:
ChrisWaddle wrote:Fe, Fe, Fe, Pulling permission for ground-running, with no warning, sounds like the station seniority don't want the burden of this event anymore. Ah, Ah, say Boy...

Think outside the box a little more - could have been anything from inadequate fire cover to actual crews saying no. I've been to several of these events over the years and Phil and the team do a sterling job.

Nobody is questioning the job Phil does, too many people want to jump on the attack whenever there is the slightest bit of criticism of any kind aimed at this particular nightshoot.

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

lynothehammer wrote:Nobody is questioning the job Phil does, too many people want to jump on the attack whenever there is the slightest bit of criticism of any kind aimed at this particular nightshoot.

Agreed

Andy

Graf Zeppelin

Post by Graf Zeppelin »

boff180 wrote:Just two points of constructive criticism from Thursday for next time now that I’ve thought about it.

1. The air stairs, the RAF guys were trying to control numbers on top but only standing one end of the pair stuck together, people were ignoring them and just going up the other set. Similarly, there was (for the first time in my experience) an apparent lack of regard for others up there. All my elevated shots have been ruined by vibration from people walking about.etc.

2. Good to see no flash photography, however any chance of a change in the rules that “light painting” on the main pan is also not allowed please? There was one individual once it started getting dark who was using a torch on the Chipmunk/Tucano during their exposure cocking up everyone else’s photos who then had to wait for him to finish and retake their shots. Understand that it’s a valid technique but there’s no need on the main pan under those spotlamps.

Just a few thoughts.

Ta

Andy,

Thanks for the feedback on those points. We will add "light painting" to the DO NOT list. I Don't think we have had that problem before.

Andy
Cheers Phil

Excellere Contende

Ruislip Rustler

Post by Ruislip Rustler »

aknott68 wrote:Yet again another ridiculous post by Ruislip rustler. What part of my post suggested any criticism of Phil or anyone else involved in arranging the night. What it of my original post didn't yo bother to read. My question was very simple what changed the risk profile for this event that meant engine runs weren't enabled and what means that risk will be mitigated in order to be confident engine runs will occur in october
Not difficult to grasp if to y do t feel that you are able to answer it just say that rather than trying to be argumentative

For the very last time:

I read all of it and then re-read it, just to make sure I'd noted all the points you made. I've done the same with this after taking a little time to moderate my reply.

So, in order:

Who said you were criticising?

See above.

The reason for the change has nothing to do with you and we have no obligation to tell you. As far as I can see, nobody else is droning on at great length about the change to the 'risk profile' on Thursday night. I'll repeat the fact that we hope it's one-off. If it isn't, we'll tell you.

What else can we do? We'll put our case and somebody will make a decision - you can be very confident of that.

I don't understand the first part of your last sentence.

I also note that due to illness, you didn't attend this event so weren't actually disadvantaged by the decision to not run engines. And you may not be if the decision is reversed for October. #JustSaying

This, I promise, will be my last comment.
Insert witty / sarcastic / uncalled for comment (* delete as applicable)

www.leezpics.com

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Re: Re: Northolt Night Photoshoot XXIVa Thursday 19th April

Post by Wissam24 »

That better had be the last comments or I'll just lock the thread
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Graf Zeppelin

Post by Graf Zeppelin »

You'll be pleased to know that we are hoping to tempt it back from St Athan then! :smile:
Cheers Phil

Excellere Contende

bernarde

Post by bernarde »

lynothehammer wrote:
bernarde wrote:

Nobody is questioning the job Phil does, too many people want to jump on the attack whenever there is the slightest bit of criticism of any kind aimed at this particular nightshoot.

Hold your horses there, In no way was my post a criticism of phil or any other member of the team, was simply stating what could have been a few reasonings not to engine runs. Sorry if my post came over as slandering the event, certainly wasn't mean to be that way, im very supportive of the event, engine runs or not.

ashenden92

Post by ashenden92 »

Many Thanks Phil & the RAF Northolt team

I thoroughly enjoyed the evening, waiting for so long for the sun to finally disappear and for it to get dark enough gave me and other plenty of opportunity to sample the refreshments and have a chat, to other regular attendee's I hope to sample the delights of a RAF Northolt night photo-shoot again - I admit lets hope with props/rotors turning as that does add to the uniqueness of the event

All the Best
PASH

Sneezy24

Post by Sneezy24 »

New to this forum, interested to know how I can get to attend a night shoot??

I live in easy reach, go to RIAT and have an interest in anything that flies - my father was a navigator on Mosquitos in WW2 (151 and 29 Squadrons)

Mick
Anything that flies!

wezgulf3

Post by wezgulf3 »

Sneezy24 wrote:New to this forum, interested to know how I can get to attend a night shoot??

I live in easy reach, go to RIAT and have an interest in anything that flies - my father was a navigator on Mosquitos in WW2 (151 and 29 Squadrons)

Mick

Mick, send Graf Zeppelin a PM, he is El Capitan for the Nightshoot.

Wes...

Sneezy24

Post by Sneezy24 »

Thanks, will do.

Mick
Anything that flies!

Graf Zeppelin

Post by Graf Zeppelin »

Sneezy24 wrote:Thanks, will do.

Mick