Peter Teichman retiring

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Chris G

Peter Teichman retiring

Post by Chris G »

Taken from the latest FB post from the Southport Airshow team, going to be a great miss to the circuit! :sad:
"Also for all 3 days the Hangar 11 P-51 Mustang...what makes this so special? It is pilot Peter Teichman's last ever display, and he especially wanted to be in Southport, an air show he is very fond of."

Tom105

Re: Peter Teichman retiring

Post by Tom105 »

Real shame his displays are always so good, hope the aircraft stay in this country. Hope to see him at Cosford with the spitfire one last time!
Thomas

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

Is he selling up as well as retiring?
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

Chris G

Post by Chris G »

Domvickery wrote:Is he selling up as well as retiring?

That's got to be the million dollar question, be a real shame if he is.

Talldan76
UKAR Staff

Post by Talldan76 »

Perhaps that was another reason for the Hurricane being sold.

Shame we’ll never get to see him displaying the “Russian” Spitfire.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

That's sad, always loved his displays. Newcastle (NI) 2012 was the best I've ever seen from him with a very low pass in the Spitfire along the beach.

My final time seeing him would be last summer at RIAT.

I hope he enjoys retirement.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Very sad news indeed, but I suppose I'm glad he's hanging up his spurs with dignity. An absolute titan on the display circuit. Up there with the greats. One hopes that his retirement is from display flying, but that his collection will still remain.

On a personal note, I've witnessed a number of his displays over the years, but I'll never forget his display at Cosford in 2012 in his P-40. That display I think was what got me into warbirds. Sacrilege I know, but before that I was ambivalent towards them at best. I thought the first MkI Spitfire ARCo rolled out in 2011 was "just another Spitfire" :hide:. I saw warbirds as historically significant, but I used to think of them as relics from a bygone era that sounded great, but were slow, and lumbering, and didn't hold a candle to the spectacle of modern noisy aircraft.

But with that display in 2012, god knows why, I suddenly "got it". I guess I was bitten by the warbird bug. I think I understood then how magnificent warbirds could be. And my hobby has been forever richer for that experience. The only comparable feeling I can think of is being really "meh" to the idea of seeing a couple of paper and string kites at Old Warden that struggle in wind above the level of a butterfly fart; but then you go and you see them, and you just.. you get it. Whether that was Peter's display, or whether it was just inevitable with the more time I spent in the hobby, regardless of whatever it was, Peter's routine on an unremarkable overcast day in a very familiar venue at a very standard airshow in a somewhat common warbird is one of my finest and most cherished memories in this hobby.

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

Sad. But apparently he's not been too happy since the regulations changed so it's perhaps that has pushed him to retire. His displays at Old Warden were always a real highlight.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Have seen him display many times over the years but one that stands out was Manston a few years back, weather was really grotty, low cloud and a howling wind, but Peter brought the P40 in where many others would have not even bothered with the transit from NW.
Enjoy your retirement PT, you flew warbirds beautifully. Thank you.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

He has always come across as a really down to earth guy and obviously a very talented pilot. I remember the challenges he faced with the new regs displaying at Old Warden and how honest and robust he has been with his opinions on the matter. A sad loss to the community but we should all wish him well. We all have some wonderful memories.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Not great news for the airshow scene, but he's been amazing really - the number of shows he's managed to cram in each season is remarkable, as are the distances he's travelled to them. Just down the road at Clacton, half way up the country, to Scotland or even to the continent, he's put these warbirds in front of people far and wide, come rain or shine. That enthusiasm will be a loss to a great many airshows in the whole of the UK, and we should all be thankful for his efforts.

I've had the pleasure over the last few years to get to know him a little bit at North Weald and had the opportunity to help him move the aircraft on a few occasions. More than any airshow appearance, that always made my day.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Peter will be a big miss. With the demise of the Hardwick collection, Teichman was the last of the "privateers" - successful men who'd made their money and decided to spend it on warbirds. You get the impression he's always been an "outsider looking in" on the warbird scene, just as Maurice Hammond has been, not part of the Duxford Old Boys' Club and that he held that side of the business in the contempt it deserved. Which probably explains why he was so seldom seen at Duxford's shows, despite having the best Hurricane in Europe, and after Janie's accident, the finest P-51 too.

His display flying has always been excellent. I only recall one underwhelming performance - at Little Gransden. He gave the photographer and the aerobatic enthusiast everything they wanted, there are very few warbird pilots you can say that about on a consistent basis. John Romain sets the bar, but PT wasn't far behind.

PirateTrickster

Post by PirateTrickster »

Sad news indeed. Living about 10 miles from NW we quite frequently see him in the skies above - last year we saw the P51 a fair bit. As I've grown older I've become far more fond of 'warbirds' and vintage aircraft and Peter Teichman is one of the reasons (the other is Shuttleworth!).

Interesting that he never really appeared at Duxford as, despite it being not far, I've never been to an airshow there myself.

I fear his planes will no longer reside at NW so not much chance of getting the odd appearance.

I wish him well.

Weather Watcher

Post by Weather Watcher »

I will greatly miss his flying at Old Warden especially if he flew in during the morning landing before the afternoon display. He often felt the need to have a really low, fast, close look at the grass strip before going round to land.

Offbreed

Post by Offbreed »

Peter always put on a great show for those watching the Eastbourne airshow from Beachy Head.
He will certainly be missed on the airshow scene.

flygirl

Post by flygirl »

I always liked Peters displays. He will be missed. :smile: Wishing him the best with whatever he does in the future. :smile:
We're not lost. We're locationally challenged. http://planemadanna.blogspot.com/

Talldan76
UKAR Staff

Post by Talldan76 »

The thing I don't get is, is that he was bemoaning the sale of the Hurricane earlier in the year, saying how much of a restriction only having the Mustang and Spitfire was. (as they were in maintenance at the time).

Hopefully he makes a final appearance at Old Warden before he hangs up his pilots gloves...

Mark V

Post by Mark V »

Peter has asked me to post the following on his behalf:

I would like to thank everyone for their very kind and humbling comments. Yes, this is my last display season but to be accurate, Southport 2018 will not in fact be my last display. That will be at Old Warden on 7th October 2018 when I will bow out after a long time on the display circuit. It’s been a fabulous, amazing time and I am very grateful to all that have enriched my life in this wonderful adventure.

Steve Atkin, Hangar 11 Collection

tuska2

Post by tuska2 »

Thank you Peter. I hope you enjoy your final display season as much as I know we will, all the very best for your well earned future!

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

7th Oct a must then.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

County1884

Post by County1884 »

Good odds on that show being a sell out I reckon. Race day show so he will be there in his P 51

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

Lets hope for good weather, will be there for sure race day is always good!
Thomas

Ouragan

Post by Ouragan »

Sorry to see Peter retire. He is one of the few warbird operators to actually take his aircraft across the country and show them to a wider audience, unlike others who rarely take them out of sight of their home airfield.