Climate Change - Airshows

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Ouragan

Re: Climate Change - Airshows

Post by Ouragan »

Full story from the Teignmouth Post:

Green agenda puts airshow in doubt

Climate change arguments are threatening to shoot down plans for a major airshow event in Teignbridge.

Purse-string holders at the district authority are minded to knock Teignmouth’s new spectacular out of the sky because of its impact on the environment.

They say the £10,000 cash boost being asked for should be spent elsewhere – but ‘gutted’ organisers have fired back that the eco-impact would be minimal.

Teignbridge leader Gordon Hook confirmed this week that he’d refused to splash the cash because of the harm plane fumes will have on the environment.

Airshow organiser Dave Matthews is now warning the highly-anticipated July 5-7 event might not go ahead because of the cash withdrawal.

‘We are still in talks about what we are going to do as we need that money – and now it is all up in the air,’ he told the Mid-Devon Advertiser.

Cllr Hook believed it would have been ‘hypocritical’ of him to give the air show a cash injection as he’d only just given a district councillor the job of helping combat the effects of climate change.

Illogical

He explained: ‘Teignbridge recently declared a climate change emergency so we cannot support something that is contributing towards the problem.

‘It seems illogical to support the airshow. I am very keen to support the tourism industry and economy across Teignbridge – but we will not have an economy if we don’t fight climate change.’

And the senior Lib Dem added: ‘I am sorry that people might be disappointed, but air shows are always a gamble. If there is bad weather then we’ve wasted money.

‘Difficult decisions have to be made – but this is the right move.’

Teignbridge’s crucial financial hand-out would have come from a pot of unspent cash given to councillors to donate to community projects. The money will now go into a crowdfunding scheme for groups to apply for in a bid to receive a share.

A miffed Mr Matthews, a former Teignbridge councillor, said: ‘We are really struggling – and I am absolutely gutted.

‘The environmental impact from the airshow is very minimal. It is like a journey to Spain on a plane. It is not massive.

‘What we are going to do to mitigate is actually much more than any environmental impact the airshow will have. We are not using single-use plastics, we are recycling and handing out plants for people to take home and grow.

‘But Teignbridge do not know about that because they haven’t asked us!’

Mr Matthews insisted the district authority’s £10,000 contribution would have made sure the event happens, but now organisers have to scramble to make up the shortfall.

Teignbridge, he felt, were adding insult to injury by trying to bill the air show for £1,000 for bins to be emptied along the seafront after the show.

He added: ‘What has annoyed me most is that we are a group of six volunteers working to put this event on for the community.

‘We have had people from up country contacting us asking for places to stay as accommodation in Teignmouth, Dawlish and Newton Abbot is full, so we are sending them to other towns in Teignbridge. We are doing this for businesses all across the district.’

Veteran Teignmouth councillor Sylvia Russell joined the ever-growing chorus of unhappy airshow supporters.

She complained: ‘A huge question mark hangs over the airshow now because Teignbridge isn’t funding the event – something agreed by previous leader Jeremy Christophers.

‘It would be a disaster if the air show is cancelled at the last minute. And there is a danger that it will have to be cancelled.’

News of the cash block was revealed by Cllr Hook at Wednesday night’s Newton Abbot Town Council meeting.

Former mayor Ann Jones reckoned the amount of cash generated from thousands of people heading to Teignmouth to watch the show outweighed any harm the air display might create.

Shocked

She said:‘I am quite shocked the council didn’t support the airshow. The revenue is so much more than the 30-minute or so show. Traders will be up in arms.’

Cllr Jones asked after the meeting: ‘It appears the airshow is now not going ahead. Is this due to the £10,000 not being forthcoming from Teignbridge?’

And she added: ‘I understand this money will now go into crowdfunding which should be available for community projects, but I assume that any project which makes a claim upon this fund, by necessity, will have to concur with the Lib Dem climate change policy.

‘Traders only have a short season in which to earn enough to keep them going for the rest of the year. The air show brings in a huge amount of revenue to Teignbridge. How are they going to make up that deficit? I am sure the people of Teignmouth would all like to know.’

Cllr Phil Bullivant, a town and district member, said it was ‘very sad’ that Teignbridge wouldn’t support the air show.

He said: ‘Cllr Hook refused to allocate the £10,000 requested on the basis that airshows are not justified because of their impact on the environment.

‘One can argue that the proposed airshow would have been a major attraction in Teignmouth, bringing in visitors and large amounts of income to business and promoting the town, which has sky-high aspirations.’

http://www.teignmouth-today.co.uk/artic ... hyear=2019

Seahornet

Post by Seahornet »

I wonder how Teignmouth council justify the environmental impact of all the car and coach journeys that are needed for the survival of their tourism industry...? :question:
And as the smart ship grew,
In stature, grace and hue,
In shadowy silent distance grew the iceberg too....

Redspan

Post by Redspan »

I've arrived at this discussion late and there's six pages of it, so I apologise if I'm repeating what's already been said.

Aviation is an easy target because it's so visible. What's not so easy to spot are the thousands of ships that cross the oceans each year, carrying all the consumer goods that feed the insatiable demand in the developed world.

Two wrongs don't make a right but it's not as if the aviation world is not doing anything about its impact. While ever more efficient engines and fuels are still being developed, one solution then is to offset the CO2 generated during these journeys by sponsoring schemes and projects which help to reduce the CO2 in the atmosphere.

Here are two videos I made on this subject.

Carbon Offset Airlines That Compensate Carbon Footprint of Flights: https://youtu.be/dH_uvqKsUug
Carbon Offsetting Air Travel, Carbon Footprint, Climate Change: https://youtu.be/SZ19emFGFeg

PeteM

Post by PeteM »

And yet I don't think I've seen any eyebrows raised over forcing thousands of fans from 2 x English Football teams to travel to Spain for a Cup Final.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Not to mention Azerbaijan!
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

PeteM wrote:And yet I don't think I've seen any eyebrows raised over forcing thousands of fans from 2 x English Football teams to travel to Spain for a Cup Final.

Theres has been quite a lot about that. Here are a few links. That Football lark needs be be sorted out as that decision to have finals Miles and Miles away was nuts.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... opa-league

https://www.euractiv.com/section/health ... e-a-match/

uefa has a bit on Carbon footpints but as usual is corp wishy washt we care crap.

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/social- ... index.html
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

Andyph

Post by Andyph »

I think these will start to gain traction...

https://www.openpetition.eu/at/petition ... ember-2019

translates as

Since 2003, the air show "AirPower" takes place again and again in Zeltweg. It has been known for many years how harmful the exhaust fumes of airplanes are. At this festival, climate change is ignored and the environment damaged for tourism. At the same time, the inhabitants of the region are also affected: domestic animals eat from the fields, on which about 240 aircraft daily up to 9 hours offer a program.

It can not go on like this. In the present time, in which almost 40 degrees can be achieved in Austria, something must be done against pointless exhaust fumes. Red Bull and the army see in this air show only their own propaganda and profit. Too naive are the viewers, who watch the air show and later eat the good schnitzel, which comes from the cow, which had previously eaten from the "bio" field ...

Reason
Please help me bring this petition to the government. Such a damaging attraction can no longer exist in times of Fridays For Future with Greta Thunberg. I want to give all people a future that is much more beautiful and diverse than an air show. I look forward to your signature and hope for support. Only together can we take action against this organization and the large corporation. Man is facing profit.

FlankerPhoto

Post by FlankerPhoto »

Bunch of cockwombles.

Andyph

Post by Andyph »

FlankerPhoto wrote:Bunch of cockwombles.

Where have you been this summer?

It's not well written but.....

Andyph

Post by Andyph »

KLM must think so ..https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2019 ... ing-scheme

Not!

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Andyph wrote:

KLM must think so ..https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2019 ... ing-scheme

Not!

I notice there is a claim in the article that biofuel is desirable as a "sustainable" source. For moderate demand (and of course the market will find a level price-wise) it is - but nobody can remain ignorant of the wholesale habitat and wildlife destruction that is already resulting from it. In addition so long as it is used, environmental damage from CO2 emissions will continue to multiply.

For any conservationist this is not an acceptable use of the word "sustainable" - which is usually used for things like not taking more fish from the oceans than breeding populations can support. For anyone without shares in a manufacturer of electrically cooled suits it's not great news either.

Ouragan

Post by Ouragan »

So we now have this petition and the protest at Yeovilton yesterday, along with local authorities deciding against supporting events. All small scale and not really having much of an effect. For now.

The airshow industry and we as proponents and supporters of such events need to wake up to the fact that whatever science we choose to believe, there are many people out there who see airshows as incredibly damaging. It does not take many of them, if they so wish, to be truly disruptive. Three or four abandoned cars in the queue for the car parks at Fairford, for example, or even flying a drone near the runway. Small actions can have big consequences, and sticking our heads in the sand and shouting insults does not cut it. Environmental campaigns are getting the public on their side.

We need to advocate and adapt. Airshows -and music festivals, county shows etc- are not environmentally friendly, whatever we say, but we can attempt to mitigate. How about getting RIAT or whoever to start a carbon offsetting programme? What about more shuttle buses from other locations? Glastonbury went plastic free (with arguable results) but why not airshows? How many cars in the car park just have one occupant?

Conversely, airshows have a huge financial boost for local tourism and business. Try to get accommodation anywhere around Swindon on RIAT weekend if you don't book early, and most attendees are usually there for a couple of nights and spend money in the area. Charities benefit from the exposure they receive by having a stall at an airshow, both financially and in terms of networking, and above all they provide an excellent day out for families.

These are among the arguments we need to make; some will never accept them, but there are plenty on this forum who are equally unaccepting of the alternative view either.

effects

Post by effects »

Andyph wrote:I think these will start to gain traction...

translates as

Since 2003, the air show "AirPower" takes place again and again in Zeltweg. It has been known for many years how harmful the exhaust fumes of airplanes are. At this festival, climate change is ignored and the environment damaged for tourism. At the same time, the inhabitants of the region are also affected: domestic animals eat from the fields, on which about 240 aircraft daily up to 9 hours offer a program.

It can not go on like this. In the present time, in which almost 40 degrees can be achieved in Austria, something must be done against pointless exhaust fumes. Red Bull and the army see in this air show only their own propaganda and profit. Too naive are the viewers, who watch the air show and later eat the good schnitzel, which comes from the cow, which had previously eaten from the "bio" field ...

Reason
Please help me bring this petition to the government. Such a damaging attraction can no longer exist in times of Fridays For Future with Greta Thunberg. I want to give all people a future that is much more beautiful and diverse than an air show. I look forward to your signature and hope for support. Only together can we take action against this organization and the large corporation. Man is facing profit.

Isn't the F1 track very close to Zeltweg, high performance motors are a luxury no one needs.
Nikon P900 (Sony DSC-HX400V, Sony DSC-HX300 and DSC-H2 retired)

Andyph

Post by Andyph »

effects wrote:
Andyph wrote:I think these will start to gain traction...

translates as

Reason

Isn't the F1 track very close to Zeltweg, high performance motors are a luxury no one needs.

Yes it is - and I think F1 Etc will be under the spotlight soon.

Yoevilton report here: https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/som ... st-3088573

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

Ouragan wrote:So we now have this petition and the protest at Yeovilton yesterday, along with local authorities deciding against supporting events. All small scale and not really having much of an effect. For now.

The airshow industry and we as proponents and supporters of such events need to wake up to the fact that whatever science we choose to believe, there are many people out there who see airshows as incredibly damaging. It does not take many of them, if they so wish, to be truly disruptive. Three or four abandoned cars in the queue for the car parks at Fairford, for example, or even flying a drone near the runway. Small actions can have big consequences, and sticking our heads in the sand and shouting insults does not cut it. Environmental campaigns are getting the public on their side.

We need to advocate and adapt. Airshows -and music festivals, county shows etc- are not environmentally friendly, whatever we say, but we can attempt to mitigate. How about getting RIAT or whoever to start a carbon offsetting programme? What about more shuttle buses from other locations? Glastonbury went plastic free (with arguable results) but why not airshows? How many cars in the car park just have one occupant?

Conversely, airshows have a huge financial boost for local tourism and business. Try to get accommodation anywhere around Swindon on RIAT weekend if you don't book early, and most attendees are usually there for a couple of nights and spend money in the area. Charities benefit from the exposure they receive by having a stall at an airshow, both financially and in terms of networking, and above all they provide an excellent day out for families.

These are among the arguments we need to make; some will never accept them, but there are plenty on this forum who are equally unaccepting of the alternative view either.

Very well put. I consider myself fairly green but I fly on holiday, go to airshows etc etc. We won't solve the problem by blanking banning or expecting people to live hugely different lifestyles to the one that they have become used to. The solutions need to be around mitigation, huge investment in developing technologies, changing the way that we do things that don't make a disproportionate negative on our lives and may even be seen to immediately enhance our lives. There are already so many things that we can easily adopt that we aren't doing that can be done before we getting around to banning a F1 race that happens every two weeks or a once a year airshow.
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

lambo17841

Post by lambo17841 »

Before the banning of airshows and f1 some of the great un washed who went to the recent Glastonbury festival and any other such events held through the summer should look at banning them,seeing the number of cars in the many car parks,the plastic waste left behind and not to mention the amount of electricity used for lighting and sound systems and to then to go wild about how a certain tv personality made a speech,no mention was made of the many miles he must have travelled by air to make his numerous tv programmes.

John

JJC

Post by JJC »

Good to see all those boats being towed into disruptive positions by huge, fuel guzzling 4x4s at various points across the UK. What happened to good old fashioned crowd dispersal?

Proof, if ever it were needed, that these protests lack a healthy dose of self-awareness. If anything could be classed as pointless and unnecessary emissions, the ones generated from this stunt are it.

Not to mention that blocking roads leads to traffic, and traffic leads to cars sat producing more harmful emissions for longer than necessary.

You couldn’t make it up. :up:

I’m sure all the rich kids will be jetting off to [insert Instagrammable destination] over the summer. Do as I say, not as I do.
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

canard67

Post by canard67 »

This was an interesting film that debunked most of the crackpot claims of the warmists https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=oYhCQv5tNsQ

What we are now seeing with the Climate Emergency thickos are young people who have been worked on by leftists at "Universities" which are just Communist training centres .

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

canard67 wrote:"Universities" which are just Communist training centres .

:facepalm: :lmao:

FlankerPhoto

Post by FlankerPhoto »

Must have forgotten we were in Leningrad. :whistle:

Paul_Reflex

Post by Paul_Reflex »

canard67 wrote:This was an interesting film that debunked most of the crackpot claims of the warmists https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=oYhCQv5tNsQ

What we are now seeing with the Climate Emergency thickos are young people who have been worked on by leftists at "Universities" which are just Communist training centres .

1. That film is objectively trash
2. Universities are some of the most important institutions in our society
3. It doesn’t matter that you’re contrarian enough not to believe in climate change, you’ll still suffer the effects with the rest of us.

Andyph

Post by Andyph »

Here is an airshow trying to get on the front foot.

https://www.warbirdsoverwanaka.com/wows-s/

lambo17841

Post by lambo17841 »

I see some of the un washed are at City Airport causing problems,they say for 3 days.One of them even got on a plane which had to return to the terminal,presume he had a ticket.

John

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

lambo17841 wrote:I see some of the un washed are at City Airport causing problems,they say for 3 days.One of them even got on a plane which had to return to the terminal,presume he had a ticket.

John

I suppose he thought it was money well spent in order to put is point across to a captive audience.

FB
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

A blind ex paralympian has glued himself to the top of an aircraft at LCY.

Seems like they are failing to keep the airport secure.