Bye Bye Scampton?

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
tache3
UKAR Supporter

Re: Bye Bye Scampton?

Post by tache3 »

Very sad news.

Surprised that no-one has mentioned the dog though.

chrisward123

Post by chrisward123 »

Sid-104 wrote:Had a chat with a Reds ground crew member last week at Fairford. She told me they were relocating to Wittering. T1 Hawk will be with the team until 2030. They are off to the States next year for a 3 month tour, 2020 a tour of Asia, so hopefully the Reds are safe for a good while yet. But of course, things can change quickly in the world of aviation!

Sid.

Very interesting, obviously the Reds and HHA will have known about the closure of Scampton for a while then...
2020 - RIAT, Blackpool & Southport

parsley
UKAR Supporter

Post by parsley »

Not a huge surprise considering the base appears to have been put largely on a no care no maintenance basis for the last 20 years or so

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

tache3 wrote:Very sad news.

Surprised that no-one has mentioned the dog though.

http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=81673&start=25#p836152

Gibson's Law being that any mention of 617, Scampton, Dambusters etc has to at some point mention The Dog.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

That would be the dog which, according to rumours, wasn't even buried in the first place ( not to mention the rumours that the location of the grave has moved a number of times )?
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Paul_Reflex

Post by Paul_Reflex »

Brevet Cable wrote:That would be the dog which, according to rumours, wasn't even buried in the first place ( not to mention the rumours that the location of the grave has moved a number of times )?

Not the strongest deep state conspiracy theory on the internet!

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

Paul_Reflex wrote:
Brevet Cable wrote:That would be the dog which, according to rumours, wasn't even buried in the first place ( not to mention the rumours that the location of the grave has moved a number of times )?

Not the strongest deep state conspiracy theory on the internet!

Not that deep, only about 6ft? :whistle:

Edit: can't get the sodding tweet to embed but there's a funny 'Matt' cartoon at the end of this hyperlink :grin: ---- Fixed it for you - Jalfrezi
https://twitter.com/MattCartoonist/stat ... 67105?s=19

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MattCartoonist/status/1021823003301167105[/tweet]
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

yrret

Post by yrret »

The MOD must know where the Reds will relocate to. I just hope its not Wittering. Cranwell must be 1st choice, surely.

pb643

Post by pb643 »

yrret wrote:The MOD must know where the Reds will relocate to. I just hope its not Wittering. Cranwell must be 1st choice, surely.

I am assured, that the current plan, is that the Reds will move to one of the stations that currently operates the Hawk T1.

Trenethick

Post by Trenethick »

RNAS Culdrose it is then :lol:

pb643

Post by pb643 »

Trenethick wrote:RNAS Culdrose it is then :lol:

Probably preferable to Anglesey. :grin:

(Apologies to any residents of said place)

st24

Post by st24 »

pb643 wrote:
yrret wrote:The MOD must know where the Reds will relocate to. I just hope its not Wittering. Cranwell must be 1st choice, surely.

I am assured, that the current plan, is that the Reds will move to one of the stations that currently operates the Hawk T1.

Boscombe Down then...
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Marka1967

Post by Marka1967 »

Probably selling the site before they have to spend millions on resurfacing the runway.

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

Wont be cranwell. The main rd creates to many issues.

Binbrook 01

Post by Binbrook 01 »

Didn't stop them the last time they closed Scampton, and flogged off most of the housing and left the place to fall into a S*it state you all discovered at that airshow last year.... oh god now I done it....

:ninja:

Victor 23

Post by Victor 23 »

How old are the 5 hangars at Scampton, were these built specially for the Vulcans, or were these used by the Lancasters as well.

Binbrook 01

Post by Binbrook 01 »

Built the same time as the airfield, so over 80 (ish), and I believe several are unused due to the cost of dealing with asbestos in them

Victor 23

Post by Victor 23 »

Binbrook01

Thanks for that.

pb643

Post by pb643 »

Binbrook 01 wrote:Built the same time as the airfield, so over 80 (ish), and I believe several are unused due to the cost of dealing with asbestos in them

I think all have been refurbished except one. The one with all the barriers round and lumps of asbestos falling off.

vbombers2

Post by vbombers2 »

Trenethick wrote:RNAS Culdrose it is then :lol:

Can you imagine it? They'll get about a weeks practice a year when the fog lifts :grin:

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Whilst acknowledging that distance is covered very fast in a jet & forward-basing for geographically adjacent displays is common with RAFAT, I'm convinced a 'central' UK base location would be preferable? As noted, coastal locations can be plagued by adverse weather. Under-used RAF Wittering would be ideal as the MOD are kind of stuck with retaining it, airspace is available & the Grobs can work around the 'Reds'. If the "will be a Hawk base" theory has any credence, then RAF Leeming moves to #1 option surely? Personally, I don't rate the 'Hawk-base' criteria because there is a distinct possibility that 100 Sqn tasks will be Civilian Contracted & their jets become spares foir the Reds, until such time as the 5x Prefect RAFAT is ready. :sick: :wink:

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

This does all raise the question of the Red Arrows' future.

Realistically, once the T.1s are done I wonder if they'll just call it quits.

Victor 23

Post by Victor 23 »

I think when the T1 Hawk is withdrawn from service, the reds might have to look to another country from which they can get a replacement, I doubt for one minute they would be getting T2 Hawks. As with piston aircraft then they might as well call it day.

harkins

Post by harkins »

A chap I spoke to at Fairford when I said about the T1 determining the end of the Arrows opined that before the T1 is the issue it will likely be the pilot pool. With an ever shrinking number of fast jets in service, there will be less available pilots of necessary experience to man the RAFAT.

verreli

Post by verreli »

Stagger2 wrote:... a distinct possibility that 100 Sqn tasks will be Civilian Contracted & their jets become spares foir the Reds, ...

see ASDOT https://www.topaces.com/page?a=2245&lang=en-CA

The RAF will be a different beast when the T1 retires. It will be the rise of the RPV. What's the purpose of the RAFAT? Recruitment - not needed for a few hundred front line pilots. Hawk sales pitch - not needed. Entertain the public / PR - Given the RAF100 effort, that's not even medium priority. Enjoy them while you can.