Bye Bye Scampton?

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Brevet Cable

Re: Bye Bye Scampton?

Post by Brevet Cable »

Yeovilton's a better bet.
Ready for when HMG admit the Country's skint - or that they don't want to spend money on the Armed Forces - and they end up merging the RAF & FAA fixed-wing assets, with RW assets merging with the AAC.
After all, they're already pretty much there with the F-35 fleet
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Paul_Reflex

Post by Paul_Reflex »

Brevet Cable wrote:Yeovilton's a better bet.
Ready for when HMG admit the Country's skint - or that they don't want to spend money on the Armed Forces - and they end up merging the RAF & FAA fixed-wing assets, with RW assets merging with the AAC.
After all, they're already pretty much there with the F-35 fleet

Absolutely right, get rid of the crabs and have a lovely big fleet air arm!

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

If it was up to me - and perhaps its as well it isn't - I'd take over Mildenhall once the USAF move out.

Not only would that give RAFAT the airspace they need but it would preserve a big airfield with big areas for large aircraft: because sooner or later Brize and Waddington will need resurfacing, and both are pretty crowded. The RAF needs a spare runway somewhere for such occasions, and as discussed already, that is currently problematical.

It's also a good central position for reaching their display areas, including the seaside venues.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Paul_Reflex wrote:Absolutely right, get rid of the crabs and have a lovely big fleet air arm!

:up:
No need to repaint the planes ( the RN like grey things ) and you wouldn't have to make many changes to the uniform, either.
FAA may have to be renamed, though, given we haven't got much of a fleet these days.......reversion to RNAS would be better.
:biggrin:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

FarnboroJohn wrote:If it was up to me - and perhaps its as well it isn't - I'd take over Mildenhall once the USAF move out.

Not only would that give RAFAT the airspace they need but it would preserve a big airfield with big areas for large aircraft: because sooner or later Brize and Waddington will need resurfacing, and both are pretty crowded. The RAF needs a spare runway somewhere for such occasions, and as discussed already, that is currently problematical.

It's also a good central position for reaching their display areas, including the seaside venues.

Waddington has only recently been resurfaced. The Sentry fleet squeezed into Coningsby. Don't know about the rest, but your point about Brize raises an interesting point. Where else can they cram the transport fleet? Most major airfields are already really busy.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Binbrook 01

Post by Binbrook 01 »

Ah yes the Waddington that was closed from late September 2014 in stages for the £20 million runway rebuild only reopening partially in June 2016. And not fully till November that year...

Aside from the fact that effectively (but not completely) killed the airshow. :whistle:

craig.mason

Post by craig.mason »

So now scamptons going were else in lincolnshire could hold an "international" airshow could it return to waddington now runways done or could it move to cranwell lincolnshire needs a big airshow it is the " bomber county" after all
Canon 550D
EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS II Lens
EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III USM

austinp

Post by austinp »

I think its safe to say there will no airshow in Lincolnshire again. As mentioned, such a shame with it being Bomber land :-S

Agreed about Mildenhall, but if the MoD want to save money, can anyone see them holding onto it?

Could we CrowdFund to save Scampton?

Binbrook 01

Post by Binbrook 01 »

Simple Answer is nowhere

Unless of course someone else pumps a large bag of money into Scampton and buys it.

As for Waddington nope. Surely you have figured that given its ISTAR role they no longer want random Joe rummaging around the place

And Coningsby. Definitely not likely with it being Typhoon central

As for Cranwell Pass, but probably revert to my first answer

But then again.... who currently knows

:tumbleweed:

craig.mason

Post by craig.mason »

This was on local news today
The Chief of the Defence Staff has said that the RAF will continue to invest in Lincolnshire, despite the closure of its base at Scampton in 2022.

http://www.itv.com/news/calendar/2018-0 ... -scampton/
Canon 550D
EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS II Lens
EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III USM

Binbrook 01

Post by Binbrook 01 »

Well they have just spent a bit of cash doing some runway work at Cranwell

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

austinp wrote:I think its safe to say there will no airshow in Lincolnshire again. As mentioned, such a shame with it being Bomber land :-S

Except the airshow at East Kirkby of course. It's not international but it's still an airshow in Lincolnshire, and it has a Lancaster.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Binbrook 01

Post by Binbrook 01 »

And its tomorrow as well...

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

There is also the annual armed forces day airshow at Cleethorpes which has had international flying items in the past in the form of the Bronco Display team and the 'old' Cleethorpes Airshow team turned down displays from the Belgian Air Force 'Red Devils' team and A109 display team previously for various reasons.

In the UKAR interview with Andy Armstrong/ Tom Gibbons I think when they were questioned regarding a return of the Scampton Airshow they were very non specific and mentioned a possible return of a show to the 'East of England' rather than Lincolnshire - so it could be anywhere or nowhere, unless RIAT is forced out of RAF Fairford when it becomes a fully operational base with USAF and RAF RC135s but no one really knows. Would be a great fall-back airfield to have Scampton for RIAT if the latter happens given that no other military airfield could accommodate the Tattoo as the MOD has disposed the majority of them....

RAF Church Fenton was brought from the RAF and an airshow was held there when it became Leeds East Airport.... I guess it will all come down to who buys RAF Scampton and what they have planned for it. There is lots of momentum gathering from locals and Local MPs regarding the closure of RAF Scampton so lets see.

Plus where else could they have the training airspace for the Reds without disruptingg all other traffic from various airports in the UK? even when the Reds moved to Cranwell they still used the training airspace above RAF Scampton.
For those 'in the know' - Is it relatively easy to move the training airspace above RAF Scampton to another location???

I still think the idea of turning the airfield into a visitor attraction with its museum plus other exhibits ( Bit like IWM Duxford or RAF Cosford Museum) and the ability to host airshows during the year would be great but I do understand that the base is run down and would need a significant amount of work and money to achieve this as mentioned in the posts above.

ZD241_VC10

Post by ZD241_VC10 »

BossMann wrote:
Plus where else could they have the training airspace for the Reds without disruptingg all other traffic from various airports in the UK? even when the Reds moved to Cranwell they still used the training airspace above RAF Scampton.
For those 'in the know' - Is it relatively easy to move the training airspace above RAF Scampton to another location???

It won't be easy, but if the site is sold for housing then there is no choice. There are a few areas that could potentially accommodate a similar "danger area".

I still think the idea of turning the airfield into a visitor attraction with its museum plus other exhibits ( Bit like IWM Duxford or RAF Cosford Museum) and the ability to host airshows during the year would be great but I do understand that the base is run down and would need a significant amount of work and money to achieve this as mentioned in the posts above.
[/quote][/quote]

The problem is they already exist.

For those mentioning Cranwell as an airshow venue, there are a couple of issues to consider. The A17 is a major one, being a major arterial road into East Anglia, and more of an issue than the A15 was for Waddington. The other issue people won't readily consider is that shows like these rely on a lot of local service manpower. In the modern day forces that manpower doesn't exist as it used to in the heyday of RAF shows (a situation exacerbated at a heavily contractor supported training base such as Cranwell).

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

Always wondered why Leuchars was kept open as an airfield! But please god no!
Arabest,
Geoff.
52 in a year! We must be certifiable!